October Recruiting Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One comment on KiKi Rice. Everything she’s done to date with regard to her college choice has been systematic and deliberate. She hasn’t rushed her decision or plastered social media with accounts of her visits. She’s involved her parents in the process that clearly appears designed to gather as much information as possible before making a final decision.

If you take all 5 “official” visits, there are only so many weekends in the fall you can do that on, particularly if your parents accompany you. She and her parents came to UConn for 1st Night, the weekend clearly designated to celebrate basketball at UConn.

I continue to feel very good about UConn’s chances of landing Rice. One thing is for sure. Whatever decision she makes, it will be based on a thorough and complete evaluation of every school on her final list.

Reaction Score
The “Toomanator” being encouraged by Wyoming area fans to pick UConn. On Instagram.

1DD4D418-9219-4690-B8DE-0D566808173A.jpeg

Reaction Score
Just to supply more information good or bad, meaningful or not
Kiki is attending Duke practice at Cameron per her IG story. The origin of the post is Kiki and not a teammate

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
UGA is right on SC’s heels. It may not be long before they become top Dawg in the SEC…. ;)
Um, with all apologies to my esteemed colleague, this is a nice “get” for Joni but NO they are not right on SC heels. In fact, I need to see this program replicate what they did last year AND advance well into the NCAAT AND beat Tenn with any regularity before I can say they are legit. Just my humble opinion….

Reaction Score
It would be nice to have Paige, Azzi and Kiki on the perimeter for years to come.
I think sometimes we can get hung up on the listed position for a prospect. Some may consider Kiki very unlikely because she is described as a point guard, and we have a generational talent there in Paige and a very good backup in Nika. So how about SG? Oops another generational talent there in Azzi. So where could Kiki possibly start? The answer is SF, and even there she would likely need to beat out Caroline.

Based on the 3 on 3 competition and film on her, I see Kiki more like a Momma E versatile multi-skilled player. She showed the ability to board in the 3 on 3, and at 5-11 I think would be fine at the 3. So realistically she has some chance to start, but at SF, and has pretty serious competition there from Caroline and others.

If that doesn't happen there is still a potential significant role as the main backup at two positions, behind Azzi at SG and Caroline or someone else at SF. Yes she could also backup at PG but I think that would probably only come into play if Paige or Nika was unavailable, although it is possible she could pass Nika as the main backup option there.

So is that enough for her? I don't know. A legitimate chance to start at SF, but far from certain, but a very high probability of a pertinent role of backing up two positions as the floor. E is a very good analogy for her. She played point guard at Tennessee, came to Uconn and showed her versatility in other ways, clearly being comfortable at three positions, and even played some 4 although I don't think that is a good idea for E or Kiki with the bigs we have now and on the way.

Reaction Score
The only problem I see with this team is team speed. Last year I thought our outside shooting could hurt. I think this area has improved but can our girls defend off the dribble?
Even if that is a deficiency (which I will not concede until I see a couple of games) good team defense can greatly minimize that shortcoming.
When 100%, Nika does a very good job; Mir shows enough quickness to take some charges.
And, if as advertised, Caroline Ducharme (aka sneaky) should be able to pick some pockets.
JMHO

Reaction Score
The only problem I see with this team is team speed. Last year I thought our outside shooting could hurt. I think this area has improved but can our girls defend off the dribble?

i agree, it will have to be Mir and Aubrey who need to step up here. Hopefully we dont run into any guards like Arizona had last year.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Even if that is a deficiency (which I will not concede until I see a couple of games) good team defense can greatly minimize that shortcoming.
When 100%, Nika does a very good job; Mir shows enough quickness to take some charges.
And, if as advertised, Caroline Ducharme (aka sneaky) should be able to pick some pockets.
JMHO
I agree regarding Nika. If she can stay healthy this year and work on the fouls - she'll be an ace defender. I think she has the potential to be the womens version of "Ryan Boatright"

Reaction Score
Wowwwwwwwwwwwww I am shocked, thrilled but shocked Barker picked Georgia. Always nice to see new schools get top recruits. Surprised that Georgia's hc was not rumored for the Baylor job.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wowwwwwwwwwwwww I am shocked, thrilled but shocked Barker picked Georgia. Always nice to see new schools get top recruits. Surprised that Georgia's hc was not rumored for the Baylor job.
Joni Taylor was heavily rumored to replace Mulkey.

Reaction Score
Joni Taylor was heavily rumored to replace Mulkey.

wonder if she got it offered or Georgia decided to match her pay. Either way the SEC is going to be so interesting. SC, LSU, Georgia, Miss st still solid, Kentucky with Howard, and A&M

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
wonder if she got it offered or Georgia decided to match her pay. Either way the SEC is going to be so interesting. SC, LSU, Georgia, Miss st still solid, Kentucky with Howard, and A&M
Nothing against Waco, TX, but Athens, Ga is a great college town, and the SEC is a much stronger conference than the Big 12, particularly with TX & OK on the way. I don’t know if Baylor offered Taylor, but unless the money was ridiculously high, she made the right decision staying at UGA.

Reaction Score
i agree, it will have to be Mir and Aubrey who need to step up here. Hopefully we dont run into any guards like Arizona had last year.
Yeah, I think people are overhyping the “quick guard” thing. Sure, McDonald tortured us in that game but I’d bet a lot of money you could put those same teams back together and make everyone healthy and AZ as was could never beat UConn as was in a best of 7 or 5! She (Ari) was shooting .407 overall and .345 on threes. She went 4-9 on threes against us in that game and added 11 free throws while going 7-17 overall. Now kudos to her for stepping up and having a great game but it was really our performance against the rest of the team that beat us. UConn generally is able to fade 1 player going off because they simply make up for it with the rest of the team. This time we couldn’t. Obviously, it’s not good to have a player torch us like that but for me anyway, I just don’t think that game has any lasting meaning beyond the fact that they (UConn) were extremely young, overconfident, banged up and did not perform well at all. If Anna hits one three, Aubrey scores one basket Nika scores 2 more points, and ONO makes two of her seven misses, we win and likely beat Stanford in the final. We did not obviously, but I am very confident that this year’s team is way better equipped for that kind of game! Not necessarily in the sense that we can shut down another McDonald, (though I think we’ll be better at that as well) but rather that our ability to withstand a single dominant performance will be much improved. I’m not sure everyone has really grasped the offensive potential of this team. Assuming our defense remains as strong as usual, I just don’t think teams will be able to score enough points to beat us!

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think people are overhyping the “quick guard” thing. Sure, McDonald tortured us in that game but I’d bet a lot of money you could put those same teams back together and make everyone healthy and AZ as was could never beat UConn as was in a best of 7 or 5! She (Ari) was shooting .407 overall and .345 on threes. She went 4-9 on threes against us in that game and added 11 free throws while going 7-17 overall. Now kudos to her for stepping up and having a great game but it was really our performance against the rest of the team that beat us. UConn generally is able to fade 1 player going off because they simply make up for it with the rest of the team. This time we couldn’t. Obviously, it’s not good to have a player torch us like that but for me anyway, I just don’t think that game has any lasting meaning beyond the fact that they (UConn) were extremely young, overconfident, banged up and did not perform well at all. If Anna hits one three, Aubrey scores one basket Nika scores 2 more points, and ONO makes two of her seven misses, we win and likely beat Stanford in the final. We did not obviously, but I am very confident that this year’s team is way better equipped for that kind of game! Not necessarily in the sense that we can shut down another McDonald, (though I think we’ll be better at that as well) but rather that our ability to withstand a single dominant performance will be much improved. I’m not sure everyone has really grasped the offensive potential of this team. Assuming our defense remains as strong as usual, I just don’t think teams will be able to score enough points to beat us!
Your right, except South Carolina who i think can trouble us defensively. Really for me, they are the only team who can stop us defensively and I’m not totally sold on that happening. Stanford will be a problem also but it’s us and South Carolina this year with UConn having the edge I believe.

Reaction Score
McDonald had a good game, not great and Uconn did not lose the game on defense. IMO, you left out a very important piece of the piece of the puzzle, namely that Bueckers took only 13 shots and was largely a non-factor down the stretch; when Uconn needed her to shoot, to hunt shots. IMO, the Arizona game was the type of game Auriemma knew Uconn would eventually face in the tournament; a tough defensive game, a game where someone would truly have to “take over”. She was that someone, obviously, and Auriemma identified that very early in the season but she decided she knew better than the coach and would play the season her way, so IMO she was woefully unprepared for the Arizona moment. She was not the only reason they lost by any means, it is a team game, but the NPOY is the one you look to; not Griffin, a non-scorer, nor Makurat or Muhl, players who were both compromised by injuries, or Ono, who is a very uneven offensive player with a history of disappearing on the offensive end against quality opponents. And to be clear, I don’t place the BLAME on Bueckers in the least for the loss but I guess I personally find it hard to generate a great deal of respect for a player, no matter how tremendously talented, who refuses to play the way a coach asks them to play, especially when the coach is the best the game has ever seen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's a lot of ifs and wishful hoping. Arizona led that game wire to wire ,won by double digits and pretty much dominated UCONN. Past team were able to overcome quick scoring guards with a game changing perimeter defender. Last year's team did not have such a player. Assuming (your words not mine) this year's team has such a player sounds like more wishful hoping. Team defense is a multiplier of, not a substitute for good individual defense. The ball was starting in McDonalds hands if you don't do enough individually to slow her down then the defense is a starting every possession at a deficit-AKA playing up hill on your heels.

Reaction Score
Love the length and the motor of Kitts.
@BobbyJ is there still room on the Kitts bandwagon or is it too late for me to jump on?
C’mon down brother! We have unlimited seating. Her improv skills, up fakes, ball fakes, and footwork are off the charts for a college kid, never mind a HS kid. Add some more strength and experience and you’ll have an AA wing. To develop those moves and shots at her age shows a superior work ethic. How would you like to clear a side and run a 2 man with her and Toomey?

Reaction Score
That's a lot of ifs and wishful hoping. Arizona led that game wire to wire ,won by double digits and pretty much dominated UCONN. Past team were able to overcome quick scoring guards with a game changing perimeter defender. Last year's team did not have such a player. Assuming (your words not mine) this year's team has such a player sounds like more wishful hoping. Team defense is a multiplier of, not a substitute for good individual defense. The ball was starting in McDonalds hands if you don't do enough individually to slow her down then the defense is a starting every possession at a deficit-AKA playing up hill on your heels.
Maybe you could point out where I said this year’s team had such a player? In fact, I specifically said the exact opposite of what you are saying! You know, making something up to then use in your argument for or against renders the whole conversation meaningless. The point I’m trying to make is this.; sure we may not have a lockdown defender that can deal with someone like McDonald but most of the time (in fact, almost always) we win anyway because we hold the rest of the team down enough to where we outscore them anyway. Apparently this is one of your favorite things to rail against but IMO it simply is not a big issue. I just don’t agree that the only reason we have beaten teams with a quick scoring guard was us having a game-changing perimeter defender. I think we have won virtually all those games, with or without an opposing quick guard, because we had better players and coaching across the board. On the rare occasion we have lost those games it has rarely been as simple as one quick guard single handedly beating us. If you truly think that AZ could beat us (healthy) in a series as our teams were constituted last year, then I guess we’ll just have to disagree. AZ played a great game and deserved to win but one swallow does not a summer make. Do I wish we had a blindingly fast defensive guard? Of course! I just don’t think we have to have one to win as we almost always win those games anyway. We lost that game because of a lot of things coming together at the perfect time. Nika was hurt, Liv laid an egg, we were young, inexperienced, and overconfident and Adia Barnes had her team breathing fire and believing Aari was going to lead them to the promised land. Their team played over their heads while our team simply was not ready to play. That team was really tied into Aari’s leadership. I live in Tucson and she really had a special year (actually two years) Her impact on that team was far beyond her actual statistical production. She’s really not a very good shooter but she had so much confidence in the rest of her game that she just lifted the whole team and almost won the championship. I mean, if her last shot had gone in, we would be talking about one of the greatest performances in the history of the FF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom