October Recruiting Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For some young kids, it’s simply the case that, at an early age, they are just not strong enough to get the ball up to the rim without launching it from their chest. Yes, at some point, someone should try to change it before it’s too late. But the longer you go with bad mechanics, the harder it is to change. Mikayla Coombs is a good example of a great athlete with bad shooting mechanics.
I still have never understood the Coombs recruitment. Did she say she was going to fix her shooting mechanics and then didnt? The coaches are way too talented that they didn't recognize it and see that unless she fixed it they couldn't play their normal 5 shooters on the floor offense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Skipped over your post and just watched her video and I commented that her shot was slow and weird. Also didn’t say but was thinking the same as you, that won’t work as she gets older unless she does it at a much much faster speed.
Time always tells.

Reaction Score

I read the comments before I watched the video. I'm not sure she is yet strong enough to get her elbow up to her eyes. What is she 13 or 14? Looks like she has another growth spurt coming? But changing her shooting form shouldn't be that big a job. Nice wrist action. And if they all go in with that motion they'll likely go in afterwards.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Somehow missed the Blue Star write-up of their own camp last month:

Last year, Priyanka Ponnam (2025/New Jersey) was in Tampa around this time for the Blue Star All-American Camp, and the 6’2 forward had a solid showing. Fast forward to 2021, and she was back for a different experience at Blue Star 30. The skill and versatility at her size is well documented, and she is so smart on the court. While she has the ability to handle the ball and shoot the trey, as long as she continues her willingness to go to work in the paint and defend in the post, the Philly Rise product will continue her ascent heading into high school.

Lauren Hassell (2027/Tennessee) is another returnee, back for her 2nd year as a Blue Star 30. Needless to say, she of course did not disappoint. With all the big time athleticism and size, she’s been on the radar very early. But if you see how she has grown her game, now sporting a fluid jumper that she can hit from beyond the arc, you know she is only going to keep working and keep improving. Still one of the youngest players in camp, you can tell she is starting to hatch out of her egg and really come out and take over. All in due time!

Speaking of players who are ultra-competitive and all about winning, enter 2025 CyFair point guard Aaliyah Chavez. This year’s camp three point champion and a 3X champion, Chavez clearly has a knack for stacking the hardware, thanks to her pure ability to stack buckets and dimes alike. She truly does it all, and this hooper continues to separate herself on the biggest stages.

Aniya Foy (2025/Texas) shot the heck out of the basketball every day of camp, and at 5’11 with a big time frame, the sky is the limit for her. All of the athleticism you want to see, she has, and then she clearly is getting shots up on a consistent basis. While she’s more than capable of getting to the basket, and she has a scorer’s mentality, we would expect her to continue to wow us with the jump shot for years to come.

Sania Richardson (2025/Oklahoma) is a sharpshooting point guard who was clearly on a mission coming back to Tampa this year. Richardson is so locked in and hangs on every word her coaches say. She wants to learn and wants to keep getting better. Her shot making ability, handles, and maturity on the court set her apart.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I still have never understood the Coombs recruitment. Did she say she was going to fix her shooting mechanics and then didnt? The coaches are way too talented that they didn't recognize it and see that unless she fixed it they couldn't play their normal 5 shooters on the floor offense.
If you watch the highlight tapes on Coombs in HS, she is a great defender, passer and consistently broke down defenders off the dribble for layups. She even knocks down several 3’s in highlight films, although her shooting motion was clearly unusual.

So maybe the UConn coaches saw her play once or twice in person, and maybe she didn’t take any 3’s. She appeared to be a great athlete who checked all the boxes.

Fast forward to the McD AA game when Coombs played great defense, was the most unselfish player on the court and didn’t take a single outside shot.

My honest opinion is that nobody really figured out that Coombs was not a very good shooter with an awkward shooting motion that wouldn’t hold up under the pressure of big time college basketball.

Reaction Score
If you watch the highlight tapes on Coombs in HS, she is a great defender, passer and consistently broke down defenders off the dribble for layups. She even knocks down several 3’s in highlight films, although her shooting motion was clearly unusual.

So maybe the UConn coaches saw her play once or twice in person, and maybe she didn’t take any 3’s. She appeared to be a great athlete who checked all the boxes.

Fast forward to the McD AA game when Coombs played great defense, was the most unselfish player on the court and didn’t take a single outside shot.

My honest opinion is that nobody really figured out that Coombs was not a very good shooter with an awkward shooting motion that wouldn’t hold up under the pressure of big time college basketball.
Coombs is a redshirt senior in Georgia. She graduated with a degree in sport management this summer and is pursuing a master's in the same program. So happy for her.

Reaction Score
:eek: Except when we don’t right? If you look at the last 10 UCONN losses perimeter opponents have put up some pretty gaudy numbers against UCONN.
MSU Vivians 19
ND 2018 Jackie Young 32 + Arike 27
Baylor-no one of note
Louisville- Durr 24
ND Arike 23
Baylor-Cooper 27*
Oregon-Sabrina 1 rebound and 1 assist short of a triple double .
South Carolina-Ty Harris 19
Arkansas- Dungee 37 + Ramirez 22
Arizona- McDonald 26.
* This one should really get your attention because it was Cooper's 2nd highest point total at three different schools. I don’t understand why you are struggling so hard to down play the need for a quality perimeter defender when Geno himself has acknowledged this need.
Last time! I am all for having a fast, lockdown guard on our team! I just don’t agree that it is going to make that big of a difference in terms of our overall record. Also, not to quibble, but personally, I would not call anything under 20 gaudy. Anyway, I think we’ve worn this out, so until next time, here’s to a great year!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last time! I am all for having a fast, lockdown guard on our team! I just don’t agree that it is going to make that big of a difference in terms of our overall record. Also, not to quibble, but personally, I would not call anything under 20 gaudy. Anyway, I think we’ve worn this out, so until next time, here’s to a great year!
The 19 points that Tyasha Harris scored against UCONN was more than TWICE her career average=pretty gaudy. Once again I'm not looking for lockdown defender I'm looking for a UCONN perimeter defender that can keep the other teams best perimeter player at or below their scoring averages.

Reaction Score
Class of 23, video claims #1 player in Iowa, female Shaquille O’Neil, what say yarders?

Reaction Score
The 19 points that Tyasha Harris scored against UCONN was more than TWICE her career average=pretty gaudy. Once again I'm not looking for lockdown defender I'm looking for a UCONN perimeter defender that can keep the other teams best perimeter player at or below their scoring averages.

In the Finals Fours could have used some offense too. In Dangerfield's soph and jr years she was a combined 5-22 from the floor averaging just 6 points per game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I recall, SC continuously went to a 2 man game with Harris & Boston that gave Liv & Crystal fits trying to defend it. Harris had 11 assists and many of her baskets were short jumpers or layups off of Boston screens at the foul line.

It was one of 2 games where Crystal’s lack of size was exploited by forcing her to defend a post or taller guard in the lane. Ionescu & Hebard did the same thing in the loss to OR.

At a generous 5’6” Crystal could be exploited by a big guard in the paint. Otherwise she was a pretty solid defender, and had both strength and quickness to match up with opposing guards.

Reaction Score
Agree that having a lockdown guard will not have a major affect on our overall record but it could help win 1-2 critical games. Not a hard point to debate - virtually every game we have lost the past two years has a hot, super quick guard scoring at will. Got UConn out of sync. Why would you not want this skill set on the team?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I recall, SC continuously went to a 2 man game with Harris & Boston that gave Liv & Crystal fits trying to defend it. Harris had 11 assists and many of her baskets were short jumpers or layups off of Boston screens at the foul line. It was one of 2 games where Crystal’s lack of size was exploited by forcing her to defend a post or taller guard in the lane. Ionescu & Hebard did the same thing in the loss to OR. At a generous 5’6” Crystal could be exploited by a big guard in the paint. Otherwise she was a pretty solid defender, and had both strength and quickness to match up with opposing guards.
Crystal's size was definitely exploited during that game but she was also the only UCONN player playing with any juice. Harris 11 assists were I believe her career high and the other remarkable thing about the game was that South Carolina really really guarded well without fouling and had fewer fouls (4) for the entire game than Liv (5). This was also the game where Zia Cooke was flexing on UCONN and stomping the floor like she was playing for duke or something.

Reaction Score
Agree that having a lockdown guard will not have a major affect on our overall record but it could help win 1-2 critical games. Not a hard point to debate - virtually every game we have lost the past two years has a hot, super quick guard scoring at will. Got UConn out of sync. Why would you not want this skill set on the team?
?

JordyG

Reaction Score
As I recall, SC continuously went to a 2 man game with Harris & Boston that gave Liv & Crystal fits trying to defend it. Harris had 11 assists and many of her baskets were short jumpers or layups off of Boston screens at the foul line.

It was one of 2 games where Crystal’s lack of size was exploited by forcing her to defend a post or taller guard in the lane. Ionescu & Hebard did the same thing in the loss to OR.

At a generous 5’6” Crystal could be exploited by a big guard in the paint. Otherwise she was a pretty solid defender, and had both strength and quickness to match up with opposing guards.
Aside from her size though Crystal's biggest weakness as I see it, was her inability to consistently overplay the passing lanes on the perimeter to get steals and utilize her speed. We all forget that Crystal initially was not a very good defender on the perimeter, constantly getting beat to her right of the dribble. Once she overcame that she became a good on ball defender.

Reaction Score
Somehow missed the Blue Star write-up of their own camp last month:

Last year, Priyanka Ponnam (2025/New Jersey) was in Tampa around this time for the Blue Star All-American Camp, and the 6’2 forward had a solid showing. Fast forward to 2021, and she was back for a different experience at Blue Star 30. The skill and versatility at her size is well documented, and she is so smart on the court. While she has the ability to handle the ball and shoot the trey, as long as she continues her willingness to go to work in the paint and defend in the post, the Philly Rise product will continue her ascent heading into high school.

Lauren Hassell (2027/Tennessee) is another returnee, back for her 2nd year as a Blue Star 30. Needless to say, she of course did not disappoint. With all the big time athleticism and size, she’s been on the radar very early. But if you see how she has grown her game, now sporting a fluid jumper that she can hit from beyond the arc, you know she is only going to keep working and keep improving. Still one of the youngest players in camp, you can tell she is starting to hatch out of her egg and really come out and take over. All in due time!

Speaking of players who are ultra-competitive and all about winning, enter 2025 CyFair point guard Aaliyah Chavez. This year’s camp three point champion and a 3X champion, Chavez clearly has a knack for stacking the hardware, thanks to her pure ability to stack buckets and dimes alike. She truly does it all, and this hooper continues to separate herself on the biggest stages.

Aniya Foy (2025/Texas) shot the heck out of the basketball every day of camp, and at 5’11 with a big time frame, the sky is the limit for her. All of the athleticism you want to see, she has, and then she clearly is getting shots up on a consistent basis. While she’s more than capable of getting to the basket, and she has a scorer’s mentality, we would expect her to continue to wow us with the jump shot for years to come.

Sania Richardson (2025/Oklahoma) is a sharpshooting point guard who was clearly on a mission coming back to Tampa this year. Richardson is so locked in and hangs on every word her coaches say. She wants to learn and wants to keep getting better. Her shot making ability, handles, and maturity on the court set her apart.

Can’t post the link but I saw that Chavez already got an offer from Texas and posted a picture of herself in a UTexas uniform. Once she quickens her release and gets stronger to raise it she’ll have no problem getting that shot off. Dangerfield shot it from low and managed. And Chavez is at least 3 inches bigger. She’s already learning how to control and set up the defender. Going to be a good one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This was also the game where Zia Cooke was flexing on UCONN and stomping the floor like she was playing for duke or something.
Ultimately, it comes down to matchups and coaching. Two years later Dawn attempted to limit Paige by putting Cooke, SC’s quickest defender, on her in an effort to deny her the ball. Paige ran Cooke ragged into screens and with exceptional off-ball movement including 3 straight backdoor cuts in the 2nd half that resulted in layups.

At that point, Dawn went to Plan B, putting Bre Beal, a taller, stronger defender on Paige. Paige continued to run Beal into screens, but also beat her several times off the dribble for mid-range jump shots, and ultimately hit the bounce over Beal by moving without the ball to give Liv an outlet.

Whenever Geno has the personnel, he usually wins the matchup battle and the game. UConn didn’t have the personnel 2 years ago. Last year they did, just barely. As talented as SC will be this season, Geno has all the personnel necessary to matchup with the Gamecocks size and athleticism.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ultimately, it comes down to matchups and coaching. Two years later Dawn attempted to limit Paige by putting Cooke, SC’s quickest defender, on her in an effort to deny her the ball. Paige ran Cooke ragged into screens and with exceptional off-ball movement including 3 straight backdoor cuts in the 2nd half that resulted in layups.

At that point, Dawn went to Plan B, putting Bre Beal, a taller, stronger defender on Paige. Paige continued to run Beal into screens, but also beat her several times off the dribble for mid-range jump shots, and ultimately hit the bounce over Beal by moving without the ball to give Liv an outlet.

Whenever Geno has the personnel, he usually wins the matchup battle and the game. UConn didn’t have the personnel 2 years ago. Last year they did, just barely. As talented as SC will be this season, Geno has all the personnel necessary to matchup with the Gamecocks size and athleticism.
This was also the game where Zia Cooke was flexing on UCONN and stomping the floor like she was playing for duke or something.
LOL. Kinda missed that flex the last time out.

Reaction Score
Class of 23, video claims #1 player in Iowa, female Shaquille O’Neil, what say yarders?

sneaky athletic and may become valuable as a low post space eater but I don't see her lasting through UConn practices without a major fitness upgrade......

Reaction Score

This game Paige scored 31 pts I think her career high. Hope this year Paige + Azzi can score even better.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Can’t post the link but I saw that Chavez already got an offer from Texas and posted a picture of herself in a UTexas uniform. Once she quickens her release and gets stronger to raise it she’ll have no problem getting that shot off. Dangerfield shot it from low and managed. And Chavez is at least 3 inches bigger. She’s already learning how to control and set up the defender. Going to be a good one.
She did visit Texas unofficially this past weekend and attended the Orange/White scrimmage on Sunday.

I did see her social media posts, but did not see that Texas offered. She has been offered already by Arkansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, TCU, and Ohio State; there are probably more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom