October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Episode 2 of 'All Eyes on Us' for Azzi Fudd's AAU team. A teammate of hers who is currently ranked 25th in class of 2023 (Delaney Thomas) says that her dream school is UConn and was obsessed with the Breanna Stewart teams.

Delaney Thomas. I like what I see and hear.

Reaction Score
Has anyone evaluated Fudd's total game, defense, etc.? Some may say "who cares," but the videos I have seen only show her spectacular shooting ability. On a Geno coached team, it all matters.

Reaction Score
If she chooses to come to UConn, Geno will constantly say she can't guard a chair. I've watched her a lot in the DC area and if she has a weakness that is it. Defense.

The one other growth area she has is getting her shot off when she is being guarded really well one on one by a big guard. Owusu now at MD gave her fits in highschool.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If she chooses to come to UConn, Geno will constantly say she can't guard a chair. I've watched her a lot in the DC area and if she has a weakness that is it. Defense.

The one other growth area she has is getting her shot off when she is being guarded really well one on one by a big guard. Owusu now at MD gave her fits in highschool.
Owusu looked very good last season. Will you explain how well they played against each other in the games or game you saw. I am not questioning your comment. I just wonder what Owusu did to hinder Fudd's play and how well Fudd defended Owusu. I would love to have seen them play against each other. Owusu moves well for her size.

Reaction Score
2024 and UConn POI Joyce Edwards:

Edwards averaged 13 points a game as a 7th grader starting on the varsity team, then averaged a double double and several blocks a game as an 8th grader.

She's part of a surge in South Carolina prep talent.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

Good points and ones i have heard from others.
Reminds of of KML who was not a great individual defender but was a good with team defense. I feel like GA and staff are good with hiding that if the player is really good on the offense end. She can improve over her 4 years in defense.

Reaction Score
Owusu looked very good last season. Will you explain how well they played against each other in the games or game you saw. I am not questioning your comment. I just wonder what Owusu did to hinder Fudd's play and how well Fudd defended Owusu. I would love to have seen them play against each other. Owusu moves well for her size.
She basically gave her the Kia Nurse and Moria Jefferson treatment. Deny her the ball, once she had the ball just be all over her so she couldn't get a good shot off. Azzi displayed at times a lack of maturity and frustration to not pass out of the situation or draw a foul. This was also exacerbated by her team mates who wouldn't come help her and set a screen or be available for a pass. She still scored a good number of points but just not her average when she faced Owusu. Plus highschool refs don't call all the fouls either....

She is still amazing, I'm just saying this would be something that Geno would dig at in practice.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has anyone evaluated Fudd's total game, defense, etc.? Some may say "who cares," but the videos I have seen only show her spectacular shooting ability. On a Geno coached team, it all matters.
Azzi's complete game has been thoroughly dissected. Azzi's overwhelming offensive proficiency will always overshadow her defensive as was the case for Maya Moore and KML. Her defensive is very very good. She gives max effort and although not an explosive athlete she shows good lateral quickness, a great understanding of angles, timing, and team fundamentals that will serve her well in UCONN's defensive schemes. In short I don't see Azzi as a lock down defender but she will be able to adequately defend positions 1-3 at UCONN. BTW this was the same defensive evaluation I gave Paige which some disagreed with so I welcome some other thoughts.

Reaction Score
She basically gave her the Kia Nurse and Moria Jefferson treatment. Deny her the ball, once she had the ball just be all over her so she couldn't get a good shot off. Azzi displayed at times a lack of maturity and frustration to not pass out of the situation or draw a foul. This was also exacerbated by her team mates who wouldn't come help her and set a screen or be available for a pass. She still scored a good number of points but just not her average when she faced Owusu. Plus highschool refs don't call all the fouls either....

She is still amazing, I'm just saying this would be something that Geno would dig at in practice.

She had 1 bad shooting game of the 5 times she played Paul IV while Owusu was there. She still averaged 20 pts/game against them.

Reaction Score
She had 1 bad shooting game of the 5 times she played Paul IV while Owusu was there. She still averaged 20 pts/game against them.
I watched a few of those 5 and I wouldn't characterize any of them as easy games for her and Azzi averages around 30+ when she plays a lot of minutes.. again, this is nit picking and thinking about things Geno would go after in practice. She's an amazing player....

Reaction Score
Azzi's complete game has been thoroughly dissected. Azzi's overwhelming offensive proficiency will always overshadow her defensive as was the case for Maya Moore and KML. Her defensive is very very good. She gives max effort and although not an explosive athlete she shows good lateral quickness, a great understanding of angles, timing, and team fundamentals that will serve her well in UCONN's defensive schemes. In short I don't see Azzi as a lock down defender but she will be able to adequately defend positions 1-3 at UCONN. BTW this was the same defensive evaluation I gave Paige which some disagreed with so I welcome some other thoughts.

Great post.

The 1st thing I thought regarding this was as you point out-- Maya. I can recall getting into arguments about Maya vs Angel - that some thought I think on old ESPN Board- that Angel was better because she could drive to the basket better. But- If you move without the ball and you are quick enough along with strength - that is generally easy enough to get off a good shot.

And I recall prior to this on an older Board I was on when UCONN got DT- I heard rumblings that on the Tennessee board(s) there was little concern of UCONN getting DT because of the same thing- supposedly a quick/athletic player could get in her face/ give her trouble.

And your mention of "dissect" is spot on. If we want to dissect - then every player UCONN gets we should be in fear that they'll never be much good.

Note-- I am not saying here anyone has.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@UConnCat recently posted a following from the UCONN staff confirming interest in 2023 Aalyah Del Rosario. Del Rosario has risen to #2 in ESPN ranking and it also appears she has switched HS going from Trenton Catholic to Trenton Central. Trenton Catholic has of late been the better BB program and Del Rosario is leaving behind at top 25 player behind at Trenton Catholic in PG Angelica Velez.

Reaction Score
@UConnCat recently posted a following from the UCONN staff confirming interest in 2023 Aalyah Del Rosario. Del Rosario has risen to #2 in ESPN ranking and it also appears she has switched HS going from Trenton Catholic to Trenton Central. Trenton Catholic has of late been the better BB program and Del Rosario is leaving behind at top 25 player behind at Trenton Catholic in PG Angelica Velez.
I wouldn't read too much into the school change from a bb point of view. It could simply be family economics in these tough times. Private schools even with scholarships have costs....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who won the SJC v. Paul VI games when Owusu guarded Azzi? I think SJC beat them multiple times in Azzi's sophomore year. Owusu is big and strong, more or less burly, and has very quick feet.

Reaction Score
UConn watching the Nike TOC in Arizona at the moment.
I live in PHX and usually catch some games at the ‘normal’ Nike TOC right before Christmas (Dec 17-22 this year). The site for the special “Bubble TOC” going on right now says tickets are available for player families only, with “live streaming for fans and college coaches.” Maybe whoever from UConn is there is related to one of the players?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is the 1 game that Paul IV won those 2 years.

From what I can see in the video. Azzi played well, other than forcing a layup in the closing seconds. She did hit a short jumper shortly after that, and Paul VI should have been called for a 5-second violation with 2.7 seconds to go. Keep in mind that was Azzi Fudd, the freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom