October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So, let's recap the WNBA season from a UConn perspective:

Rookie of the Year: Crystal Dangerfield (#16 pick)

1st Team All-WNBA: Breanna Stewart

2nd Team All-WNBA: Diana Taurasi, Napheesa Collier

WNBA Champions: Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird, Morgan Tuck

WNBA Finals MOP/MVP: Breanna Stewart

I think the Huskies got some good recruiting public relations this summer.

Ya know Milford, there’s a distinct pattern here even a blind man could see. I sincerely hope all of UConn’s perspective recruits are “seriously“ taking note. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ya know Milford, there’s a distinct pattern here even a blind man could see. I sincerely hope all of UConn’s perspective recruits are “seriously“ taking note. :cool:
Good job Milford, and like Carnac I hope Uconn's potential recruits take note! I think the two biggest selling points for players might be just the number of alums on WNBA rosters and the number of Gold Medals earned by Uconn players. Also I don't recall exactly, and maybe others can fill in the details, but several Uconn alums have completed the incredible trifecta of National Champion, WNBA Champion, and Olympic Gold Medalist.
I believe Sue, Diana, Maya, Swin, and Breanna for starters. I know Stewart has added a league MVP to that, and I think others may have as well (Diana? Maya?)

Those of course are the player accomplishments, then we have the coach, best all time winning percentage and Olympic Team's Gold coach. Then among the many best team selling points I think #1 would of course be the 11 national championships, the consecutive final fours (is it 11 or 12?), the longest winning streak, longest home winning streak, longest road winning streak, the fact that the last time they lost two games in a row was before any current player was born, that all but three recruiting classes since the early 90's have experienced at least one championship (last years graduates were one of those), and in my opinion it is amazing that the very worst year since the first championship they were 25-8, made it to the sweet sixteen, and wound up #13 in the final polls.

That is a downside that most schools would be happy to have as the best year in their history, and a high floor that some major programs (Notre Dame, Tennessee) would love to brag about but can't. In short having to write a resume for the Uconn Women's Basketball program would be a resume writers wet dream!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation has finally adjusted one of their player rankings: the 2021 list has been expanded to 150 players.

Caroline Ducharme is a noted riser moving all the way up to #11.

UConn now has PN's #3, #6, and #11.

Caroline Ducharme of Milton, Mass., has been on a war path to show she’s among the nation’s elite. Her Connecticut commitment didn’t lead to her taking her foot off the gas, in fact she pushed her foot through the floor. Her size at the guard position, couple with her range and overall toughness on the court.

The story:

The rankings:

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation has finally adjusted one of their player rankings: the 2021 list has been expanded to 150 players.

Caroline Ducharme of Milton, Mass., has been on a war path to show she’s among the nation’s elite. Her Connecticut commitment didn’t lead to her taking her foot off the gas, in fact she pushed her foot through the floor. Her size at the guard position, couple with her range and overall toughness on the court.

The story:

The rankings:

And S Car's three are #2, #8 & #13

I think it's amazing that UConn is likely to have the top class two years running.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And S Car's three are #2, #8 & #13

I think it's amazing that UConn is likely to have the top class two years running.

South Carolina also has PN's #55 in Aubry Hall. My guess is SC would be ranked a tick ahead barring 's decision.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Having grown up in Connecticut, I was always partial to West Point, but Annapolis has a great setting:

1602198659699.png

Reaction Score
USAF Academy campus is awesome. I lived in Colorado Springs for 4 years. The Academy was a client, so I got some behind-the-scenes access. I remember a seismographic lab where they said they could detect and pinpoint an underground nuclear test anywhere in the world. Their athletic facilities are awesome. Doubled as the Olympic Training Center for a while, until the Olympic Committee got their own digs next door.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

The story:

The rankings:

I see that while Deberry, Poffenbarger and Ducharme are numbers 3, 6 and 11, respectively, with Prospects Nation, they're numbers 15, 30 and 5 with Hoopgurlz. Naive question: Is this an honest difference of opinion or is there some nefarious explanation for the differing assessments?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
t several Uconn alums have completed the incredible trifecta of National Champion, WNBA Champion, and Olympic Gold Medalist.
I believe Sue, Diana, Maya, Swin, and Breanna for starters.

Kara Wolters, too!

Reaction Score
UConn makes the top-12 for Imani Lester, a talented 6-3 forward from North Carolina:

To be honest, I have personally watched very little tape on Lester and I know nothing about her makeup, but Olson describes her as having "the tools to impact at the next level and the work ethic to submit to mediocrity." In a later evaluation he states "the work ethic needs to match and exceed the skill level", these stand out as red flags to me and I would be surprised to see her commit to UConn, especially considering the Huskies have already received a verbal from Brady.

Reaction Score
World Exposure Top 100 - Class of 2021

1. Azzi Fudd - uncommitted
8. Amari DeBerry - UConn
14. Caroline Ducharme - UConn
17. Saylor Poffenbarger - UConn

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kara Wolters, too!
Perhaps more fitting for a new thread but: Asjha Jones is one of 11 players in the world — including seven who played with the UConn women’s basketball team — to win NCAA and WNBA titles, and Olympic and FIBA world championships gold medals.

Can anyone name all 7?

Can anyone name the 11?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To be honest, I have personally watched very little tape on Lester and I know nothing about her makeup, but Olson describes her as having "the tools to impact at the next level and the work ethic to submit to mediocrity." In a later evaluation he states "the work ethic needs to match and exceed the skill level", these stand out as red flags to me and I would be surprised to see her commit to UConn, especially considering the Huskies have already received a verbal from Brady.
That’s is also one of the odder lists/tiering of schools I have seen.
1. UConn but no ND, SC, Baylor, ND, Stanford, Oregon as other top echelon recruiting programs.
2. Louisville, FSU, NC, NC State, Duke and MSU in the next tier
3. Clemson, Florida, WakeForest in this tier
4. NC A&T and East Carolina are curious at best.
So I too am a bit dubious on this recruit, but then again, what do I know, I haven’t been able to stay at a Holiday Inn Express in a while so my insight is nil :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That’s is also one of the odder lists/tiering of schools I have seen.
1. UConn but no ND, SC, Baylor, ND, Stanford, Oregon as other top echelon recruiting programs.
2. Louisville, FSU, NC, NC State, Duke and MSU in the next tier
3. Clemson, Florida, WakeForest in this tier
4. NC A&T and East Carolina are curious at best.
So I too am a bit dubious on this recruit, but then again, what do I know, I haven’t been able to stay at a Holiday Inn Express in a while so my insight is nil :rolleyes:
Some of these kids enjoy the attention they get from listing schools that they may have gotten interest from but not necessarily a solid offer. I doubt we’ll be seeing her at UConn.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
UConn players: Sue, Diana, Stewie, Maya, Swin, Asjha, and Kara

The other four: Britney Griner, Sheryl Swoopes, Tamika Catchings, and Lisa Leslie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom