OBTW Tennessee Gone 1st Game SEC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OBTW Tennessee Gone 1st Game SEC

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If the Comm. wants to show the growth of WCBB, reading parity, the Vols should be way down if in it at all. All they have done is expose the inconsistency of the SEC teams in general. 4 of them is frankly way more than enough.

Also a couple high quality non conference wins against Notre Dame and Stanford. They are a real conundrum. How much are the good wins cancelled out by the bad losses?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Also a couple high quality non conference wins against Notre Dame and Stanford. They are a real conundrum. How much are the good wins cancelled out by the bad losses?

I'm having fun with Tenn this PM, but truth is their wins against quality teams mean they belong, but not as high as the Committee has traditionally done for them. Cinderella they are not. I have no doubt "the old girls network" will do their best for Tenn.

Reaction Score
Recall that she was the answer to this or do I have a faulty memory ? Moses she was not. On to the next tribe in a desert.
moses, she may have been; look at all the disasters the tribe Moses belong to faced. It is also possible many of the ills associated with that team originate in one or two places--could be both will be history. Geeeze! I remember that cuz: I nearly drowned when he dropped that water (owned by MJ 23) back down on me!! Heavy man, heavy!! (MJ 23 --the river Jordan)

Reaction Score
I'm having fun with Tenn this PM, but truth is their wins against quality teams mean they belong, but not as high as the Committee has traditionally done for them. Cinderella they are not. I have no doubt "the old girls network" will do their best for Tenn.
It to me is not the "ole girls" --it is the Pat Summitt, and after the honor, effect---too long they have enjoyed a status they didn't really earn--IMO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
moses, she may have been; look at all the disasters the tribe Moses belong to faced. It is also possible many of the ills associated with that team originate in one or two places--could be both will be history. Geeeze! I remember that cuz: I nearly drowned when he dropped that water (owned by MJ 23) back down on me!! Heavy man, heavy!! (MJ 23 --the river Jordan)

Water's getting to deep for me. Makes me want to take the jaw of an ass and... oh, never mind. About their loss today I just wanna say:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Not as much as people tend to think. The committee has always rewarded quality wins more than they punish for bad losses. They will much sooner take a team with a mixture of good wins and bad losses than a team that held serve in the middle with no quality wins but no bad losses.

Reaction Score
Water's getting to deep for me. Makes me want to take the jaw of an ass and... oh, never mind. About their loss today I just wanna say:

I regret I have but one jaw---etc... May I quote your words about the loss/?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I regret I have but one jaw---etc... May I quote your words about the loss/?

Okay, sure, what the heck ... I think. :) BTW The Soweto Choir does a nice job too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And since it was Alabama that took out Tennessee, we really owe it to the victors to enjoy this once more:

\

"I can't stress that enough." :p:D

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
8/9 at Bridgeport, mebbe?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Where's (ya girl) Margo? I've got to hear her assessment of today debacle. I'm sure it will be scathing.
[LINK]

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I watch the second half of the game, Alabama just flat out beat Tennessee. They were hitting shots, driving the lane and actually looked really good against the Vols. I'm not suggesting Alabama is a good team, but they were far better than their 5-11 conference record suggests. Or maybe they play up against the Vols. Props to them.

That said, Tennessee just played with no heart or smarts. Really bad boxing out, defensively the communication was horrible with switches and stopping players from getting in the lane. Bama hit 4-5 great looks from 3 in the second half too. The LVs will get decimated in round 1 if they bring a similar effort defensively.

On the offensive end, just a lot of careless play and poor shot selection. Deshields is as athletic as anyone and her ability to elevate and shoot midrange shots looks beautiful, but she just isn't a good shooter nor a good decision maker. She tried to take over late but should have gotten her teammates involved instead of trying to do it all herself. She can make great plays, but she always seems to be doing her own thing not in the flow of the offense. Skill wise she could be another Angel McCoughtry, but she doesn't bring the same intensity and effort that Angel does. I'll be shocked if she returns after the season. Everyone else was fine but just sort of a mediocre effort on all accounts.

Really tough way to enter the tournament. Last year the team at least made strides going into the NCAA tournament, where this year I'm guessing they will lose in round one.

Reaction Score
I know as UConn fans we love tossing dirt on the Tenn grave but in reality to me they are probably a 7 or 8 seed. Yes they are inconsistent but they do have some quality wins to go with their bad losses. If they are below a 9 I'd be surprised. If I'm right then we could see them on opening weekend if the committee wants to have some fun.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Deshields is as athletic as anyone and her ability to elevate and shoot midrange shots looks beautiful, but she just isn't a good shooter nor a good decision maker. She tried to take over late but should have gotten her teammates involved instead of trying to do it all herself. She can make great plays, but she always seems to be doing her own thing not in the flow of the offense. Skill wise she could be another Angel McCoughtry, but she doesn't bring the same intensity and effort that Angel does. I'll be shocked if she returns after the season. Everyone else was fine but just sort of a mediocre effort on all accounts.

That is very much her, with one addition: When she does her thing her production is not good enough to warrant everyone deferring to her. She has not grow in her years in college. Made her choices. It all falls on her and her family.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know as UConn fans we love tossing dirt on the Tenn grave but in reality to me they are probably a 7 or 8 seed. Yes they are inconsistent but they do have some quality wins to go with their bad losses. If they are below a 9 I'd be surprised. If I'm right then we could see them on opening weekend if the committee wants to have some fun.
Opening weekend is designed with two things in mind: minimizing travel and costs and maximizing attendance. TN would likely end up closer to home, i.e. at MD or OSU.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kind=a proved the scenario---a poster set up: Tenn loses to low teams--beats top teams--but not in the SEC tourney --they done gone!!
So when they get (if) to the NCAA tourney--they'd better only play MD, US Carolina, Wash St, ND, Uconn--or they'll never get to the Final 4 (if)...

You see, only you and I are too weird and get this stuff!

Reaction Score
Because of their clear pattern of playing closer to their talent level against quality opponents, I dont want UConn to see Tenn. at all in the tournament. My second preference (as if these were really mine to claim! ;) ) would be, if the Huskies have to play them, let it be the game after they have a serious challenge, such as Maryland, or FSU, or tOSU, etc. Then maybe their energy, physical and mental, wont be at the same level. They believe they can beat the Huskies, so I dont want them to have available everything they've got if UConn does face them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
:( For the players

:( For Holly, who seems like a nice person. She's just in over her head.

:( For the majority of LV fans that are good folks, who love their players and just want them to succeed.

:p For the Tin Foul Hat Brigade. Enjoy the karma for the pain you brought to an American hero, our Kibitzer.

Plebe

Reaction Score
:p For the Tin Foul Hat Brigade. Enjoy the karma for the pain you brought to an American hero, our Kibitzer.

Is there an inside backstory I'm unaware of? What did Kibitzer have to do with the Tin Foil Hatters?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Is there an inside backstory I'm unaware of? What did Kibitzer have to do with the Tin Foil Hatters?
They reported an elderly former paratrooper to the NCAA for handing Ernie DelleDonne a handmade sign. From his wheelchair.

I don't mean to start this all up again, but I will never, ever get over it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom