OBTW Tennessee Gone 1st Game SEC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OBTW Tennessee Gone 1st Game SEC

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I for one am glad they were beaten, when Tennessee is bad they are BAD, but when they are good they are GOOD... Tennessee may not play great always but they are VERY consistent in elevating their play for higher level opponents. They definitely show up for those games.

I wouldn't want to see Tennessee in the NCAA tournament. Nope.

I can see why you'd say that. :oops::rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tough First Question for the Players: This is actually a Margo video.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
BB90 - I want to give you a shout out for an honest post on what must have been a painful game for you to watch. And in general for your positive posts throughout the year.
Appreciate the kind words. After watching now 25 losses in the last 2 years with lackluster effort, it's not all that painful anymore. Unfortunately for us LV fans, you guys don't know how losses feel anymore!

Reaction Score
What you mean... Willis?
You are not a weird as you think---in this thread in a previous posting--you left a thought dangling--thought I said--without completing it;
I asked if I could quote you---and did----To quote Rocky: (nada).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is really, really atrocious. I didn't see the game, but Tenn's capacity to underplay easier opponents is breathtaking. This starts and stops with coaching. Coaches have to give their players a sense of urgency. Instead, it's as if Holly just looks perplexed and hasn't conveyed to her players that there are consequences to taking your opponent too lightly. It's like the whole team is content to lose.
On the head again bags. As I've said so often, coaches don't teach effort. Coaches recruit for it. They recruit for clear headedness, character, BB IQ, intangibles etc. Once again Holly, a less than average coach, has proven that recruiting a bunch of McDonald AA's without considering all those other characteristics just leads to an underachieving team of head cases. I think Jeff Walz may ultimately come to this conclusion as well.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Appreciate the kind words. After watching now 25 losses in the last 2 years with lackluster effort, it's not all that painful anymore. Unfortunately for us LV fans, you guys don't know how losses feel anymore!
And unlike many BY-ers here I feel for you guys. Although many if not most here may cheer or laugh, for me, watching a once proud WCBB power slowly descend to Old Dominion status is painful to watch.

JordyG

Reaction Score
:( For the players

:( For Holly, who seems like a nice person. She's just in over her head.

:( For the majority of LV fans that are good folks, who love their players and just want them to succeed.

:p For the Tin Foul Hat Brigade. Enjoy the karma for the pain you brought to an American hero, our Kibitzer.
Well emoji'd.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And unlike many BY-ers here I feel for you guys. Although many if not most here may cheer or laugh, for me, watching a once proud WCBB power slowly descend to Old Dominion status is painful to watch.

It's a weird predicament for a lot of fans because it's clear Holly isn't the right person for the job, but any success she accumulates gives her job security. As long as she continues to recruit well and make Sweet 16s, she'll likely keep her job. A program with the fan base, tradition/history, facilities and name power like Tennessee should be a perennial top 5-10 team every year. Pat had the program as a consistent top 5 team from the early 80s through 2011. I know we aren't going to find another Pat, but mediocre effort leading to 10 loss seasons just cannot be acceptable for Tennessee.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do have some empathy for Vol fans who've witnessed a slow and steady decline for a program that once set the standard for WBB.

I spent some time reading posts on VolNation last night. The fans are split about 50/50. Half blame Holly for the problems at TN and half blame the players.

There is also an interesting thread on the possibility of facing UConn in the NCAA's. A certain "gallows" humor prevails.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does Margo seem to be more philosophical about TN? The Vols appear to have broken her spirit.
The lethargy seems to be getting to Margo, too...I'd start checking the water supply...

Reaction Score
The LVs that I've watched this year remind me of an old Harvard Business Review article called The Strategy of Hustle...basically made the point that companies without significant advantages can dominate their competition by outworking them. The LVs have superb athletes, and when they raise their work rate to their highest level, they can beat a lot of better disciplined teams. When they don't, they appear to have mediocre teamwork and a very undisciplined system of play...not much to fall back on. I don't think they are conditioned to play at the frenetic pace they need to in a tournament environment...at least they don't seem to think they can...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is an athletically talented team that has obviously played up or down to the level of competition and/or the moment. That was admitted by the players in the press conference (see Margo's tape a few entries above). R: Alabama, how could you underplay a team that has beaten you two -- now three -- times in a row?
We all know of a number or coaches that would be having a SWAT team planning out strategies on how to rectify those losses while reminding players what not to do in the next game and what is expected of them in the next game. Preparation.

Still, the Vols can rise to the moment during the regular season, as Stanford and the Irish can attest to this season. And the NCAA is a big stage with bright lights, so I could see them making another run again (depending on the match-ups). However, that run maybe a bad cha-cha...one step forward to go two steps back. Why? Everyone will think it was an uneven but ultimately AOK season, and agree to try again next year because there's another load of fresh talent coming into Knoxville.

Pretty sure that Ms. DeShields will take the next train out of Dodge. On one hand, I think that will help because she has steadfastly refused to take part in any system that does not have three options: 1) I; 2) Me; 3) Try I again.

And I'm hoping that Holly can take it to the next step coaching wise with the next group of recruits, but I've seen nothing in her DNA and her coaching track record to show she'll have a more pointed direction, regardless of personnel. Maybe that will become apparent around the same time her contract is starting to wind down. By then, it may be too late to pull the shiny orange car out of the swamp. Sad for most of Volnation, as Husky Nan pointed out. But it feels inevitable at this point.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a result of their mediocre play, TN will not have the opportunity to face a couple of cupcakes in the 1st round of the NCAA's. The Vols will be on the road, possibly in Columbus, OH or College Park, MD, facing better teams with comparable talent. I see TN heading home for good after the 1st weekend of the tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I do have some empathy for Vol fans who've witnessed a slow and steady decline for a program that once set the standard for WBB.

I spent some time reading posts on VolNation last night. The fans are split about 50/50. Half blame Holly for the problems at TN and half blame the players.

There is also an interesting thread on the possibility of facing UConn in the NCAA's. A certain "gallows" humor prevails.

If Vol Nation wants to turn their fortunes around, they can follow the model that Geno and CD have created. Clean house, and start over with a new coaching staff and new players, because what they've got going right now is not working. They're like a dog chasing his tail. Vol Nation can do better, they can't do much worse. They've been going down the tubes for years. It may take 2-3 years, but it's a better exercise than the treadmill they're on now. I'd be willing to bet that the fan base would welcome a fresh start that begins with a clean sweep.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Vol Nation wants to turn their fortunes around, they can follow the model that Geno and CD have created. Clean house, and start over with a new coaching staff and new players, because what they've got going right now is not working. They're like a dog chasing his tail. Vol Nation can do better, they can't do much worse. They've been going down the tubes for years. It may take 2-3 years, but it's a better exercise than the treadmill they're on now. I'd be willing to bet that the fan base would welcome a fresh start that begins with a clean sweep.
There is something else that could help bring TN back, although I consider it a remote possibility at best. With a new AD and a new HC, it just might be possible to reestablish the UConn-TN game.

It would start with a private conversation between the new folks at TN and Geno, where they could apologize for what happened under the prior leadership and then hopefully progress from there.

One of the problems with reestablishing the game has always been that TN would never apologize to UConn, Maya or her family so long as Pat or her deciples was running the show.

I admit it's a long shot, but if they hired a coach that Geno knows and respects, you just never know what might happen.

Reaction Score
The LVs that I've watched this year remind me of an old Harvard Business Review article called The Strategy of Hustle...basically made the point that companies without significant advantages can dominate their competition by outworking them. The LVs have superb athletes, and when they raise their work rate to their highest level, they can beat a lot of better disciplined teams. When they don't, they appear to have mediocre teamwork and a very undisciplined system of play...not much to fall back on. I don't think they are conditioned to play at the frenetic pace they need to in a tournament environment...at least they don't seem to think they can...
Yea, but ...well ...it's a conundrum!
“Here’s how I’m going to beat you. I’m going to outwork you. That’s it. That’s all there is to it.” –Pat Summitt

Reaction Score
Even after this eye-searingly mediocre result, I still don't want to see them in UConn's quarter. I can just see this team, as an 8 seed, struggling to beat the 9 seed, then playing their best game in 9 years to threaten the Huskies. Bleh.

Let them play UConn in the FF, assuming UConn makes it and (by some combination of miracles) Tennessee does also. UConn's pretty good in FF games. But no, I will not whistle up this shambling trickster team for an early tournament matchup against UConn, thanks very much. :p

Reaction Score
Yea, but ...well ...it's a conundrum!
“Here’s how I’m going to beat you. I’m going to outwork you. That’s it. That’s all there is to it.” –Pat Summitt

Holly Warlick is no Pat Summitt. Warlick does not command the level of respect tinged with fear from her players that Summitt got from her teams. Right now Tennessee is coasting on its past glories and if they don't get themselves straightened out pretty soon that's all they'll have left. And while I don't much give a damn about Tennessee I don't think it is good for wcbb to lose one of its few powerhouse programs.

Reaction Score
Water's getting to deep for me. Makes me want to take the jaw of an ass and... oh, never mind. About their loss today I just wanna say:

Hal lay LOU ya---youse is ben saved. Don't smite--or mite or byte--slay the buggers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Holly Warlick is no Pat Summitt. Warlick does not command the level of respect tinged with fear from her players that Summitt got from her teams. Right now Tennessee is coasting on its past glories and if they don't get themselves straightened out pretty soon that's all they'll have left. And while I don't much give a damn about Tennessee I don't think it is good for wcbb to lose one of its few powerhouse programs.

Occasionally that kind of vengeful thinking (UCONN stomping TN) makes its way to the BY also. When it does I always shake my head in dismissal because I don't think people realize how far the two programs have diverged. TN will lose 12 games this year unless they win the NC. UCONN has lost a total of 14 games IN THE DACADE since these two teams last met in 2007.

JordyG

Reaction Score
It's a weird predicament for a lot of fans because it's clear Holly isn't the right person for the job, but any success she accumulates gives her job security. As long as she continues to recruit well and make Sweet 16s, she'll likely keep her job. A program with the fan base, tradition/history, facilities and name power like Tennessee should be a perennial top 5-10 team every year. Pat had the program as a consistent top 5 team from the early 80s through 2011. I know we aren't going to find another Pat, but mediocre effort leading to 10 loss seasons just cannot be acceptable for Tennessee.
I agree. IMO Holly's attempt to mimic Summitt's success while slavishly imitating her defensive and offensive strategies was doomed for failure. UT no longer gets the biggest and best and the proliferation of 2-3's played by today's long armed young women effectively neutralizes the double post as well as the dump it in "brute ball" played by many SEC teams. Offenses and defenses have moved on. Holly's limited knowledge of how to implement offensive schemes is damning every TO.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Occasionally that kind of vengeful thinking (UCONN stomping TN) makes its way to the BY also. When it does I always shake my head in dismissal because I don't think people realize how far the two programs have diverged. TN will lose 12 games this year unless they win the NC. UCONN has lost a total of 14 games IN THE DACADE since these two teams last met in 2007.
So, so right. Double like for you. Over on the LadyVol forum there are many there convinced that one of Geno's last remaining desires at the Tourney is to crush UT. Nonsense. Geno's desire is to crush EVERY team in Dallas, and UT is just another opponent. Geno has moved on. Those times are long gone for him. It is some fans that still hold enmity for players, coaches and administrators long gone. Some now passed on. New fans must look upon our generation of fans in puzzlement as we rake over a series of events involving a team that is barely relevant.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Exactly. Pat's forceful personality was her biggest asset. Holly lacks that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom