NY Yankees 2019 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I kinda like that Bridwell pick up. Stinks that Torreyes is gone, I know he's beloved in the clubhouse. Maybe they can figure out a way to bring him back but highly unlikely. Bridwell has some potential though.

Dooley

Reaction Score
With some recent hot stove buzz around the idea of the Yankees exploring a Giancarlo Stanton trade to free up cash to sign Harper and/or Machado, I put together a few packages with teams that he might consider waiving his no-trade clause. These are all bigger cities (except for Atlanta) because Stanton only appears willing to waive his no-trade to go to a big city...

1. Chicago Cubs - SS Addison Russell and RHP Alex Lange. Cubs also get $30M cash considerations that NYY acquired from Miami.
Rationale: Russell fills the void left from the Didi injury and could be shifted to a new position when Didi comes back. 3 more years of Arb control if Didi leaves via free agency after 2019. Lange is a high velocity college arm that is still plenty of years away from needing 40 man Rule-5 protection.

2. Atlanta Braves - 3B Johan Camago and RHP Touki Toussaint. Braves also get $40M cash considerations (Miami's $30M plus NYY $10M).
Rationale: Camago doesn't have a position on the INF after the Braves signed Donaldson. Camago can play his natural position, allowing Torres to play SS while Didi is hurt and the Yanks can move Andujar across the diamond to 1B. Switch hitter gives balance to the lineup when facing a RHP. 3.7 WAR in 2018. Toussaint is an upside arm that the Braves are absolutely loaded with in their system. I like Toussaint best for Yankee Stadium because of his breaking stuff to compliment velocity and that's important for Yankee Stadium. Not sure if Stanton would waive his no-trade to go to Atlanta though.

3. Los Angeles Dodgers - OF Yasiel Puig and LHP Julio Urias. Dodgers get $30M cash considerations acquired from Miami.
Rationale: A bit riskier trade for the Yanks. Puig's final Arb year is this year, plus he has a lightning personality that is always a concern for any acquiring club. The Yanks would essentially replace Stanton's 2019 power with a much cheaper Puig, who they could also flip to another club for pitching if they sign Harper or Machado. Urias is coming off shoulder surgery but pitched pretty well in his 2018 cup of coffee return. High prospect pedigree but the injury concern is real. Worth a shot though.

4. Los Angeles Angels - SS Andrelton Simmons and RHP Ty Buttrey. Angels get $30M cash considerations acquired from Miami.
Rationale: Why do the Angels do this? They desperately need to find a superstar to pair up with Trout if they are going to convince him to stay long-term. The Angels also have Zack Cozart under contract for 2 more years that could slide in at SS to replace Simmons. Simmons is obviously the premier defensive SS in the game and would allow Torres to stay at 2B. When Didi returns, the Yanks would all of a sudden have premier INF defense. Signed for 2 more years if Didi leaves via free agency. Buttrey is an electric bullpen arm who they got from Boston for Ian Kinsler. Will help offset losses of Robertson and/or Britton.

5. New York Mets - RHP Noah Syndergaard. Mets get $60M cash considerations ($30M from Miami; $30M from NYY).
Rationale: these two teams will never make a trade of this magnitude but, if they did, this one makes some sense. Both teams are trading from areas of strength to address a weakness. NYM get a much needed bat for their lineup at a discounted price (see: cash considerations) and the NYY get a much needed front end SP. Thor has 3 more years of Arb control left to offset the $30M cash going to Queens. That gives the Yanks 2 years of arb with Paxton, Severino, and Thor, making a cheaper (and shorter) contract for JA Happ a more realistic and cost effective option.

6. Philadelphia Phillies - 1B Carlos Santana, RHP Zack Eflin, and RHP Sixto Sanchez. Phils get $30M cash considerations acquired from Miami.
Rationale: stay with me here - Phils open up 1B to move Rhys Hoskins back into the INF and immediately upgrade their OF defense swapping Stanton's glove for Hoskins'. Santana's contract is far from a value: 2 yrs ~ $41M (with $500K buyout in 2021 which would surely be exercised). But trading Santana gives the Phils even more financial flexibility to still be big spenders in the next 1-3 winters on players with a greater impact than Santana. Eflin is a 5th SP who is likely to be expendable after the Phils spend some free agent cash this winter. The real prize here is Sanchez. By taking back Santana's money and writing that $30M check for Stanton's contract, the real value here for the NYY is adding a SP prospect with a higher ceiling than the recently traded Justus Sheffield.

Just fun to kick around some ideas. I don't think any of these will realistically happen, but some of them make a little bit of sense.

Reaction Score
With some recent hot stove buzz around the idea of the Yankees exploring a Giancarlo Stanton trade to free up cash to sign Harper and/or Machado, I put together a few packages with teams that he might consider waiving his no-trade clause. These are all bigger cities (except for Atlanta) because Stanton only appears willing to waive his no-trade to go to a big city...

Just fun to kick around some ideas. I don't think any of these will realistically happen, but some of them make a little bit of sense.

Would the Yankees really be that much better off with Harper over Stanton? Harper is a few years younger than Stanton and that is definitely a factor over the length of the contract, but Harper's numbers don't seem so overwhelming lately. I don't follow the National League that much, but I don't think that Harper is a plus defender, so that's a wash. Plus, I thought that Stanton handled being in NYC pretty well. Even during those rough stretches at the beginning of the season, he always seemed to answer all the questions thrown his way by the media.

To me, the big questions for the Yankees on offense is whether Gary Sanchez can bounce back and what the Yankees can get out of the first base position. I'm still a Greg Bird believer, maybe the only one left at this point. I just think his upside is too rich to give up on him just yet.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Would the Yankees really be that much better off with Harper over Stanton? Harper is a few years younger than Stanton and that is definitely a factor over the length of the contract, but Harper's numbers don't seem so overwhelming lately. I don't follow the National League that much, but I don't think that Harper is a plus defender, so that's a wash. Plus, I thought that Stanton handled being in NYC pretty well. Even during those rough stretches at the beginning of the season, he always seemed to answer all the questions thrown his way by the media.

To me, the big questions for the Yankees on offense is whether Gary Sanchez can bounce back and what the Yankees can get out of the first base position. I'm still a Greg Bird believer, maybe the only one left at this point. I just think his upside is too rich to give up on him just yet.

Agreed. I'm not sure how much better the Yanks would be swapping Stanton for Harper either (plus whatever they get in a Stanton trade) other than they'd be swapping a RH bat for a LH one. I think it would make more sense if they swapped Stanton for Machado (plus whatever they get in a Stanton trade) just from a position defense standpoint. But that would mean either finding a trade partner for Andujar or moving him across the diamond to 1B. They could then use the Dan Hurley hitter's hole to rotate Andujar and Sanchez as they're the 2 weakest defenders on the diamond.

At the end of the day, there are just so many moving parts and most of those parts are way to expensive to be flippant with. Of all the proposed trades, I like the Mets best (even if it meant eating more money). But those two teams making a blockbuster trade is about as likely as Boston College hand delivering an ACC invitation to UConn tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I kinda like that Bridwell pick up. Stinks that Torreyes is gone, I know he's beloved in the clubhouse. Maybe they can figure out a way to bring him back but highly unlikely. Bridwell has some potential though.
He's only thrown over 100 IP once in the past 4 years and in that one healthy year his HR/9 was 1.41. A righty in YS with that HR rate is worrisome IMO.
Obviously the Yankees nerds in the FO see something they like though.

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty simple for NY. Spend lavishly on Corbin, Machado and a reliever or 2. What would that put them up to 220-240 mil? That's where their sweet spot has been the past 10-15 years, no?

OK, so according to Cots, including Arb projections, player benefits, etc, NY is currently at 180 mil for 40 man roster. So if they add Corbin, Machado, Robertson and another reliever for say 65-70 million, that puts them at 245-250. But they are trading Gray who is arb projected at 8. So let's say 235-240 if they make those 4 signings and trade Gray.

That sounds fairly accurate to what I think Cashman will do.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Cashman and Yankees folks are posturing hard by saying their objective is to stay under the competitive luxury tax threshold (in 2019, it's $206M). I think that's why there are Stanton trade rumors starting to surface. But re-setting it this year means they save on any tax for exceeding so I guess that's up to the Steinbrenners.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm in for Corbin but not for Machado. I'm definately against these 10 years $300 million contracts. Machado is 26 and looking for a 10 year deal. No way. Let's all remember the last A-Rod contract!

The money for Machado can be spent elsewhere and more wisely. Yanks need a lead off hitter who can stay over .300 for the season and steal some bases. Also need a decent #2 hitter. That hitter could be Torres or Andujar who is a doubles machine.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Agree. I am hesitant to sign Harper or Machado too, especially with Stanton's contract already on the books. If they can trade Stanton, then I'd be a little more willing to sign Machado (not Harper). At some point, the Yanks will need to extend Judge, Torres, Severino, etc. I'd rather earmark the luxury tax savings money towards Corbin, maybe another SP (Happ?), and a few bullpen arms. Maybe a veteran MI (Zobrist?) to help fill Didi's injury void.

But I agree - these long-term expensive contracts are dinosaurs now. I'd only give that kind of deal to Trout and maybe a handful of other players. I think baseball economics will level these out in the next CBA. I can still see the Phillies spending big money this winter - they have about $100M of "play money". But the real value in roster construction these days is from your own internal, home grown prospects making baseball minimum wage for the first 5 or 6 years. Thankfully, the Yanks have been able to develop their own young guys to be able to field a very competitive team while trimming about $100M of payroll fat from their books (and the associated tax with it).

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty simple for NY. Spend lavishly on Corbin, Machado and a reliever or 2. What would that put them up to 220-240 mil? That's where their sweet spot has been the past 10-15 years, no?

OK, so according to Cots, including Arb projections, player benefits, etc, NY is currently at 180 mil for 40 man roster. So if they add Corbin, Machado, Robertson and another reliever for say 65-70 million, that puts them at 245-250. But they are trading Gray who is arb projected at 8. So let's say 235-240 if they make those 4 signings and trade Gray.

That sounds fairly accurate to what I think Cashman will do.
I want no part of Machado, they need an ace. Pitching. pitching, and more pitching and a table setting hitter or two.

Dooley

Reaction Score
After meeting with a very 'aggressive' Phillies leadership on Tuesday down in the city of Brotherly Love, it has been confrmed that Corbin is meeting with Yankees brass tomrorow. Get it done!

MLB rumors: Yankees set to meet with Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin

Patrick Corbin picked a great offseason to become a free agent. So many teams looking for pitching and quite a few of them have LOTS of money to spend. Without question, should be the Bombers' top target.

Reaction Score

Dooley

Reaction Score
On MLB Hot Stove this AM, Ken Rosenthal speculated that the Yanks *might* hold off spending big bucks on Harper or Machado and, instead, wait until the 2019-20 offseason to spend the big bucks on Nolan Arenado. Obviously, there is no guarantee that Arenado will reach free agency. And there is no guarantee that he would sign with the Yankees. But everything else aside, I like it. They can earmark some dollars this winter to sign a SP or two and fill in the bullpen then wait to give a long-term big money contract to a guy that I'd have absolutely zero issue with giving it to. Arenado is an elite defender and obviously can hit. He'll be slightly older than Machado when he hits free agency (age 29) but he wouldn't come with any "Johnny Hustle" or "dirty player" baggage.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the Yankees holding off spending. This is like the offseason of 2008 all over again in my opinion.
Flash back to 2008 - Sox had won in 04 and 07 and were in the ALCS against Tampa in 08.
The Yankees not only had the Sox yearly threat to deal with but they also had Tampa looking like they were for real with a strong GM/head coach at the helm.
Back then there were people to spend money on to try to put them over the top, just like there are this year. Back then Cashman dropped a half a billion on free agents.

10 years later the Sox have their fourth ring of the century, including cliniching the regular season and the ALDS in Yankee Stadium. The Rays had a great year out of nowhere and are run so well considering the limited revenues. And again there are people out there that will probably put the Yankees over the top.

I know the Yankees youth is better now than 10 years ago but I can definitely see Steinbrenner and Cashman dry heaving during October and determined to do something about it.

And the idea the Sox outspent the Yankees finally and did this while the Yankes were penny pinching? (not that I disagree with teh Yankees strategy - I don't)......this does not have a patient offseason written all over it.

Corbin, Machado and 2 relievers. Book it.

Reaction Score
Someone may have read my post. Maybe one of the Captain's peeps overheard me talking to a few buddies at the pub the other day as the Captain is working on selling his family's lakeside home up the street.

MLB trade rumors: Yankees talking to Marlins about J.T. Realmuto | What it means for Gary Sanchez

A 1 for 1 swap I think would be great for both teams. The Yanks get one of the best defensive catchers in the game who gets on base a lot with some pop while the Marlins get a younger star in the making who I think has a greater upside outside of the punishing glare of the NYC media. That said, Atlanta, Boston, Houston, and LA are all in the picture for Realmuto, too.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Sign me up for a Sanchez for Realmuto swap right now. Even if it means that Realmuto will no longer be one of the best value draft picks in my fantasy leagues. Taking one for the team here. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'll take Realmuto for Sanchez in a heart beat. To sweeten the deal, throw in Greg Bird.

Reaction Score
Someone may have read my post. Maybe one of the Captain's peeps overheard me talking to a few buddies at the pub the other day as the Captain is working on selling his family's lakeside home up the street.

MLB trade rumors: Yankees talking to Marlins about J.T. Realmuto | What it means for Gary Sanchez

A 1 for 1 swap I think would be great for both teams. The Yanks get one of the best defensive catchers in the game who gets on base a lot with some pop while the Marlins get a younger star in the making who I think has a greater upside outside of the punishing glare of the NYC media. That said, Atlanta, Boston, Houston, and LA are all in the picture for Realmuto, too.

The Nats got Gomes from Cleveland, who appear to be going into full re-build mode. That's one less team to consider for Realmuto.

Indians deal All-Star catcher Gomes to Nationals

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PS - I logged into MLB at 10:01 AM today and the tickets for the Red Sox v. Yankees Spring trainig game in Fort Myes in February are alrady sold out. StubHub now has lawn seats for the game at at 400% face value. Damn professional scapling bots.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'll take Realmuto for Sanchez in a heart beat. To sweeten the deal, throw in Greg Bird.

You could sign bour to replace him too.

Not a bad 1-2 punch upgrade

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom