NY Yankees 2019 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
They should trade degrom just to avoid the obvious conflict of interest they have.

Getting Corbin to replace him is just the cherry on top.

I agree. I thought they should have traded deGrom at the trade deadline but can see why they'd wait until the offseason so they can engage every club, not just the contenders. I thought there were enough contenders that had prospects for a match but maybe now they can try to engage a team like the Padres. They have an incredibly loaded farm with more prospects than they can probably play in San Diego. It's the Mets though and for whatever reason, I think they're convinced they're right there with Atlanta and they're not.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I agree. I thought they should have traded deGrom at the trade deadline but can see why they'd wait until the offseason so they can engage every club, not just the contenders. I thought there were enough contenders that had prospects for a match but maybe now they can try to engage a team like the Padres. They have an incredibly loaded farm with more prospects than they can probably play in San Diego. It's the Mets though and for whatever reason, I think they're convinced they're right there with Atlanta and they're not.

Padres need to be patient. They’re stupidly impatient move last winter hasn’t worked out so far

Dooley

Reaction Score
Padres need to be patient. They’re stupidly impatient move last winter hasn’t worked out so far

Agree - was just throwing speculative names out there. Maybe if the ChiSox sign Harper, they flip a few of their premier prospects for a guy like deGrom or Thor. The AL Central is about as mediocre a division that has ever existed in baseball history.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agree - was just throwing speculative names out there. Maybe if the ChiSox sign Harper, they flip a few of their premier prospects for a guy like deGrom or Thor. The AL Central is about as mediocre a division that has ever existed in baseball history.

Yeah as CLe May sell some pieces off.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I didn’t think a rebuilding team would be after a rental. Maybe fix and flip

Could certainly see that happening. They have to be sure they can carry out the flip aspect though. They tried with Harvey but couldn't move him. Even so, the risk couldn't be smaller with a potentially high reward (as it was with Harvey).

the Q

Reaction Score
Could certainly see that happening. They have to be sure they can carry out the flip aspect though. They tried with Harvey but couldn't move him. Even so, the risk couldn't be smaller with a potentially high reward (as it was with Harvey).

Harvey was zero risk cause mesoraco was shot with his hip.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yankees trade for James Paxton. First domino to fall. Looks like the Yanks are making their move.

Sheffield gone, Paxton in
I wish this kid could go 33 starts. Seems to always have Dl stints every season. But last season had career highs across the board.

Severino
Tanaka
Paxton
CC

I expect Corbin for sure (not a thrilling acquisition to me but oh well.) Would like Happ more.

Reaction Score
I wish this kid could go 33 starts. Seems to always have Dl stints every season. But last season had career highs across the board.

Severino
Tanaka
Paxton
CC
I expect Corbin for sure (not a thrilling acquisition to me but oh well.) Would like Happ more.

I am good with this trade, especially as Paxton is under control for 2 more seasons, though I don't know much about the other two guys being traded. I saw some numbers on ESPN and it looks like Paxton's salary is clsoe to Gray, so if he can be unloaded, this has minimal payroll impact. Thus, I believe that thanks Yanks still go after Corbin in the Free Agency market. The question then becomes do the Yanks still try to bring JA Happ back. If they get Corbin, I say no. I do think that this takes the Yanks out of any potnetial Bumgarner talks and now they don't need to consider Eovaldi.

So, the starting rotation looks like this:

1) Severino
2) Paxton
3) Tanaka
4) Corbin
5) Sabathia
*) Loaissiga/Montgomery (Jul '19)

So, the focus turns to the infield and the big question is if the Yanks go after Machado. If yes, then I believe Andujar will become trade bait for maybe a top-end 1st Baseman bat (such as Anthony Rizzo who a lefty bat that the Bubs may move should payroll issues force them to move him) or maybe to help re-stock the minors with Sheffield gone. I still like picking-up Daniel Murphy as versatile infielder, especially while Did is out, and as an important Left bat.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I like the trade too. Paxton's cost-effective 2 years means they still have significant money to spend this offseason. I, too, think Corbin is their top target and this trade all but guarantees that the Yanks go all-in to try to sign him.

The upcoming Gray trade could replenish the farm from what they just traded away to get Paxton. Preferably, they could land an upside A-ball prospect still years away from needing 40-man protection. Or, they look for a deal to bring in some MLB level INF depth.

Severino-Paxton puts the Yanks much closer to Verlander-Cole / Sale-Price / Kluber-Carrasco (for now) tiers at the top of the rotation. I think the focus now is adding quality depth. Corbin would immediately slide in as SP2-SP4. Re-signing Happ would be great but I can see him leaving if someone (Phillies?) offer a 3rd year that the Yanks don't want to include. I like Eovaldi but like him more as a bullpen weapon than a starter and I don't think the Yanks want to commit plus dollars for a bullpen arm. Along those lines, I think Robertson is gone. I think the Yanks have some electric arms on the farm that can slide in to cover those middle innings, then Green/Betances/Chapman cover the final third.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Very good move by Cashman. My next choice would be Corbin. If not Corbin, then Happ. This will give the Yanks a stronger starting rotation.

As to the infield, moving Torres to ss and bringing in Murphy for 2nd base makes since. I don't see the Yanks going for Machado. He's going to want a 10 year deal worth close to $300 million. Not worth it. I'm fine with Andujar at third. I think his fielding will improve. Andujar is a doubles machine that can consistantly hit .300. You don't trade that away unless you are getting someone very special.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As to the infield, moving Torres to ss and bringing in Murphy for 2nd base makes since. I don't see the Yanks going for Machado. He's going to want a 10 year deal worth close to $300 million. Not worth it. I'm fine with Andujar at third. I think his fielding will improve. Andujar is a doubles machine that can consistantly hit .300. You don't trade that away unless you are getting someone very special.

Agree. Andujar can only be traded if the Yanks sign Machado to play 3B AND they get someone like Corey Kluber in return. I don't think either will happen so I don't see the Yanks trading Andujar.

Reaction Score
Agree. Andujar can only be traded if the Yanks sign Machado to play 3B AND they get someone like Corey Kluber in return. I don't think either will happen so I don't see the Yanks trading Andujar.

I am not all in on Andujar, obviously. That said, the Yanks have two needs in the line-up, a left-handed hitter to help protect a right-heavy batting order (Murphy fits well here) and hitters to get on base at the top of the order (Andujar and Torres fit well here) so that they when the big hitters are at bat, multiple runs can be generated versus a string of solo HR's. The Yanks offensively were too reliant on the HR in 2018 to generate runs.

How about this batting order for 2019 based assuming no other major trades besides acquiring Murphy in Free Agency.

1) Torres SS (R) .271
2) Murphy 2B (L) .299
3) Judge RF (R) .278
4) Stanton DH (R) .266
5) Sanchez C (R) .186
6) Hicks CF (S) .248
7) Voit 1B (R) .322
8) Andujar 3B (R) .297
9) Fraser LF (R) .265

Now, let's say there is a major overhaul of the line-up with Manchado signed, Andujar and Sanchez traded. Its highly unlilkely; but, ist fun and could yeild interesting results.

1) Torres SS (R) .271
2) Murphy 2B (L) .299
3) Machado 3B (R) .297
4) Judge RF (R) .278
5) Stanton DH (R) .266
6) Rizzo 1B (L) .283
7) Realmuto C (R) .277
8) Hicks CF (S) .248
9) Fraser LF (R) .265

Reaction Score
So the big rumor was the Yankes tried hard to get Jean Segura also in this trade, on the FAN this morning they said Yanks and Mariners definitely talked a bigger blockbuster. That would have been wonderful great SS solid stick .300 hitter and more likable guy than Machado.

Cashman was just on FAN and said at least one more pitcher, they knew they needed to get 2 solid starters and if something else came up they may go 2 more from Paxton. He also said if needed Torres can play some SS but they think his future is a 2nd baseman so I'm guessing they are after Machado or someone else to fit.

I really like Boneheads Murphy idea I'm all in. A guy who can hit some out but is a solid hitter overall. Murphy can play 2B and 1B while DH is fine too. Like that idea.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Segura seems to be a lock to get traded this offseason. It also seems that the M's are, at the moment, trying to glue one of their horrendous contracts to him (e.g. Mike Leake). If that was the case, the Yanks are/were smart to pass. There are quite a few viable short-term MI options on the free agent market that makes more sense than having a guy like Mike Leake and his $16M/yr also shoved down your throat.

Reaction Score
More updates in the local press.

First, I have no idea who these two minor leaguers are. The paper is saying it was a 40-man roster issue as they Yanks were going to lose Foley anyway.

Yankees trade with Rockies, what it means

Other tidbits...
  • Manchado walked back his 'hustle' comments to the MLB.com press. Of course, because it could cost him money.
  • The A's GM indicated that the Yanks have talked to folks about Noah Syndergaard (Mets) along with the ICorey Kluber and Carlos Carrasco (Indians). He also re-iterated the prior rumor of the Yanks looking at Harper to play 1B.
  • Fort he Rule 5 Draft, he yanks have protected prospects Joe Harvey and the guy they got from the Rockies (see above); but, have left Kyle Holder (SS, 2015 Round 1 pick), Brandon Wagner (1B), Nestor Cortes and (LHP).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom