NY Yankees 2019 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Reaction Score
What makes you the expert on the guys with the highest ERA in the national league which means you add half a run to top it off? You’re funny not any of these guys are aces especially Thor he’s the worst of them at 4.33 and goes 6 tops most times. Strohman was best bet under 3 ERA and that’s simple. Ray is like 179/40 Ks to walks and under 4 era he’s ok. Bumgarner is a bulldog so maybe I throw him in with the others.

I’m fine with what I said not saying I’m right but you thinking I’m that far off is a joke of an observation lol...stick to basketball SJ stay in your lane.
Oh boy. It wasn't just a brainfart on your part. The idea you would rather have Boyd, Ray, or Stroman pitching a big playoff game over Madbum or Syndergaard is so friggin' crazy, it's hard to take you seriously.

I'm guessing you probably thought AJ Happ is an ace.

Reaction Score
Oh boy. It wasn't just a brainfart on your part. The idea you would rather have Boyd, Ray, or Stroman pitching a big playoff game over Madbum or Syndergaard is so friggin' crazy, it's hard to take you seriously.

I'm guessing you probably thought AJ Happ is an ace.
[/QUOTE

Hate Happ. Thor? You watching movies or baseball because he’s the worst of all he’s had his tits ripped so many times. Oh I get it you’re going by past performance years prior to this one I guess because you cant be that stupid!?! Lol

Reaction Score
Bumgarners demise is greatly exaggerated, hes 29 playing for a crappy team who just so happens to be in the thick of the wild card race. There was similar conversation about Verlander's demise and he was 34 at the time. All of it is a mute point though, because Cashman always misses out on getting big time pitchers and what makes you think he will hit on one now after not signing Corbin (ok fine he was overpaid I get it) but then to not sign Keuchel after the draft and he wouldve been a rental at a minimal cost is mind boggling.

Reaction Score
Bumgarners demise is greatly exaggerated, hes 29 playing for a crappy team who just so happens to be in the thick of the wild card race. There was similar conversation about Verlander's demise and he was 34 at the time. All of it is a mute point though, because Cashman always misses out on getting big time pitchers and what makes you think he will hit on one now after not signing Corbin (ok fine he was overpaid I get it) but then to not sign Keuchel after the draft and he wouldve been a rental at a minimal cost is mind boggling.
I don't know what to day anymore other than t's insanity. There are 13 stud pitchers Cashman passed on or as he likes to say had the internal fortitude/discipline to not sign in recent years. You just sign one of them and they are in the World Series last year, and they probably win it this year. It's beyond inexplicable. The Yankees have everything you would ever want in a team except for an ace and a legit playoff #2 starter. It's gonna cost them another World Series. Pretty goshdarn hard to win it all no matter how good your lineup and relief is if you don't have the starters to get you there.

Cashman has been good at getting position players but an absolute trainwreck at getting starting pitching. His seat should be flaming hot right now, the guy gets outmaneuvered by everyone. You can put the Astros and Dodgers in the World Series now.

Reaction Score
Terrible trade deadline for the Yankees. Might as well crown the Astros now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don't know what to day anymore other than t's insanity. There are 13 stud pitchers Cashman passed on or as he likes to say had the internal fortitude/discipline to not sign in recent years. You just sign one of them and they are in the World Series last year, and they probably win it this year. It's beyond inexplicable. The Yankees have everything you would ever want in a team except for an ace and a legit playoff #2 starter. It's gonna cost them another World Series. Pretty goshdarn hard to win it all no matter how good your lineup and relief is if you don't have the starters to get you there.

Cashman has been good at getting position players but an absolute trainwreck at getting starting pitching. His seat should be flaming hot right now, the guy gets outmaneuvered by everyone. You can put the Astros and Dodgers in the World Series now.

What did the dodgers do? That bullpen is soft enough that they can get lit up in October.

Reaction Score
What did the dodgers do? That bullpen is soft enough that they can get lit up in October.
Dodgers have Ryu, Kershaw, and Buehler and they play in the weakarse National League.

Reaction Score
The Cashman interview after the deadline is infuriating as a Yankees fan. He basically said that they didn't go after guys like Corbin in the offseason because if they had gone after him, they wouldn't have had any money to make any other additions that benefited the team this season (like DJ LeMahieu) because "it's all interrelated." He also said that they didn't want to pay the prospect price teams were asking for because they knew that their fallback was that they already have a good team. Get out of here with that stuff Cashman and the Steinbrenners.

Reaction Score
I really don't have a problem with the Yankees not making any moves at the trade deadline. Cashman has done a remarkable job in assembling this team and has earned my benefit of the doubt. If he says that the price was too high for the return, then I have no reason to doubt him. That said, it will all come down to what happens the rest of the season. If the Yankee starters can pitch to the level on the backs of their trading cards and they can get anything from Severino, Betances, Loisaga or even Garcia, then Cashman will be a genius for saving the farm system. If getting Grienke puts the Astros over the top, then Cashman will be rightly criticized for not making any counter moves.

the Q

Reaction Score
I really don't have a problem with the Yankees not making any moves at the trade deadline. Cashman has done a remarkable job in assembling this team and has earned my benefit of the doubt. If he says that the price was too high for the return, then I have no reason to doubt him. That said, it will all come down to what happens the rest of the season. If the Yankee starters can pitch to the level on the backs of their trading cards and they can get anything from Severino, Betances, Loisaga or even Garcia, then Cashman will be a genius for saving the farm system. If getting Grienke puts the Astros over the top, then Cashman will be rightly criticized for not making any counter moves.

To be fair, he didn’t have time to make any countermoves. That was done just under the wire.

Really just needed to sign Keuchel. And hope Severino comes back healthy and strong

Reaction Score

Is it Cashman or Steinbrenner?? Seems like Cash is working with budget constraints that didn't exist when the old man was in charge. George cared about winning...full stop. Hal would like to win if the $$ is lined up...honestly...he's starting to remind me of Wilpon!!

Just heard the interview with Cashman where he said not signing Corbin enabled them to get DJ...REALLY?? If George was alive, he would have signed both....and they would also have Verlander on team since '17...and prob another WS that year..

BUT...George isn't in charge and Hal is cheap....in 09 the last time they won, they were 70 million AHEAD of the 2nd place team in payroll..or 48% higher......now they are #3 in payroll!! Using that same math, their payroll would be at 335, not 217!!

Reaction Score
George Steinbrenner made LOTS of terrible deals and signings, mostly because he was obsessed with dominating the tabloid back pages. His strategy of signing older stars - often past their prime - wouldn't work today. In getting "names," he decimated the farm system and let it rot. The team has a great pipeline of young talent now. Yeah, you wanna win this year, but guys like Garcia set you up for years to come. They'll be fine until post-season, and if Severino and Betances can return, they'll be tough then.

Reaction Score
George Steinbrenner made LOTS of terrible deals and signings, mostly because he was obsessed with dominating the tabloid back pages. His strategy of signing older stars - often past their prime - wouldn't work today. In getting "names," he decimated the farm system and let it rot. The team has a great pipeline of young talent now. Yeah, you wanna win this year, but guys like Garcia set you up for years to come. They'll be fine until post-season, and if Severino and Betances can return, they'll be tough then.
You’re missing my point. My comment is strictly about $$. Hal is cheap and George wasn’t. Using the exact same model Cashman has if he had another 100m to work with do u think verlander and Corbin would be on the team? I do

the Q

Reaction Score
You’re missing my point. My comment is strictly about $$. Hal is cheap and George wasn’t. Using the exact same model Cashman has if he had another 100m to work with do u think verlander and Corbin would be on the team? I do

I still don’t think Cash gives Corbin 6 years. But keuchel seems likely

Reaction Score
I still don’t think Cash gives Corbin 6 years. But keuchel seems likely

I think its a fine line. The team is very close to wining it this season and signing a front-end pitcher would be a smart decision both for the team (to win) and for the pocketbook (a World Series championship will generate a lot of extra cash). Goerge understood that. That said, George also as folks noted made a lot of bad signings and trades, which made a mess of the Yankee farm system until the mid-90's.

Greinke would have been a smart move; but, is he worth Frazier, Florial, and Garcia, which is what the rumor is? I am not sure.

Stroman would have been cheaper; but, it looked like Toronto did not want to trade him to a division rival this season (no idea what the Mets are doing).

Keuchel would have been a smart, rental move, too, that would not have cost any prospects; but, he seems to have a bit of an ego and dealing with his agent, Boras, is always a headache.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think its a fine line. The team is very close to wining it this season and signing a front-end pitcher would be a smart decision both for the team (to win) and for the pocketbook (a World Series championship will generate a lot of extra cash). Goerge understood that. That said, George also as folks noted made a lot of bad signings and trades, which made a mess of the Yankee farm system until the mid-90's.

Greinke would have been a smart move; but, is he worth Frazier, Florial, and Garcia, which is what the rumor is? I am not sure.

Stroman would have been cheaper; but, it looked like Toronto did not want to trade him to a division rival this season (no idea what the Mets are doing).

Keuchel would have been a smart, rental move, too, that would not have cost any prospects; but, he seems to have a bit of an ego and dealing with his agent, Boras, is always a headache.

Rumor was Greinke was never waiving his NTC to go to NY

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
German is the horse to ride. No Mas Tanaka is a fine #2. Alas the 'stros have Cole, Verlander and Grienke.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
yankees are fine as pie.
how'm we doing? props to biilythekid and danzz posters for, idk, actually getting it right?
gee, I guess it ain't 1978 in reverse. next year? NEXT YEAR? THIS YEAR, elbow doctor/hr manager person. 'bbut injuries.' hoo, boy...

Reaction Score
While I celebrate the wins, it's been hard to take much pleasure over the Yankees beating up on the Orioles. That is a bad team.

Reaction Score
While I celebrate the wins, it's been hard to take much pleasure over the Yankees beating up on the Orioles. That is a bad team.

The Royal are nearly as bad as the O's and yet the Sox can't take a series from the (1-1 with 1 game suspended in the 10th). Now, that is something as a Yankees fan I can take joy in.

Reaction Score
The Royal are nearly as bad as the O's and yet the Sox can't take a series from the (1-1 with 1 game suspended in the 10th). Now, that is something as a Yankees fan I can take joy in.

I saw a stat this morning that 17 different Yankees have homered against the Orioles this season. 15 different Orioles have homered all season, period.

Reaction Score

It's a special season in the fact they have fought som many injuries to people who were to impact them all year, yet they keep rolling. Amazing Urshela and Tauchman, crazy stuff. Urshela was a great pu just for his great defense but his hitting is ridiculous. Tauchman looked like a Mendoza line hitter who I had no use for and look what he's done in this latest run. I can't forget Maybin wow. Always liked him glad they took a chance but again overachieving. Still people need to get healthy because in the playoffs the pitching is elite and will get hitters out.

On our end our staff won't get too many people out I'm afraid. Paxton maybe turning the corner a little but not sure. Tanaka a big game pitcher but not at his best as we speak. German a real nice year but I'm skeptical vs the hitters in Houston, Cleveland etc etc...Not making a move was ok if it meant giving up too much. But they will need to shore up that staff in a huge way for next year, the WS champs this year I can't believe is an option with this staff.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with not making a move at the deadline, but the biggest misfire was not signing Corbin. He was pretty much exactly what they needed and only cost money.

It will be a shame if the season ends with a whimper in October due to the lack of SP that could have been bolstered solely by the teams biggest asset; money.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Orioles are terrible. Torres has petitioned to play only them, 162 games . 80 hr season.

The Yankees have a bunch of starters, including German, who rarely maintain effectiveness beyond 5 innings. It works for them because they have several good relievers, but how much can they be used in a playoff series and can they be relied on to be effective. They tend to walk too many. The return of an effective Betances would help. And the starters are too often ineffective early. The offense has bailed them out but that might disappear against good playoff opponents. Still a remarkable season.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one of the oddest things of this life is the inability of many to enjoy the 'good thing' while it's happening. 'good thing' being a product of reasonable judgement. it's mid august, and the bombers are like 80-40. last year, they won 100 games. seems consistent, no? some time ago, bullpens became a 'thing' and now we have 'openers' as a regular strategy. the yankees have had a dominant pen for years, and absolutely not one other team wants to pitch to our line-up with most of our assassins in there. if fully healthy, then I can't recall a similar offense ever. if we win the series, the historical record will simply say 'of course.'
arms, legs, feet, who cares? chicken little is just another way of saying 'more KFC, please. extra crispy.'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom