NY Yankees 2019 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I love Cutch. He's long been one of my favorite non-Yankee players in all of baseball. But the Yanks have way too much OF depth to justify paying top dollar on another one. In fact, there is enough quality OF depth to engage plenty of clubs into trade talks to address some 25 or 40 man weaknesses.

Spend luxury tax savings on pitching. That's it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
With the giants new gm hire, I think a bumgarner trade just became more likely.

Yup. Honestly, this is one of the reasons why I think the Yanks/Giants line up for a deal here. New GM. Bochy has 1 year left on his deal. And the nucleus of those World Series clubs has either retired or started their post age 30 year season declines. Their farm is thin and could use a talent injection from selling off a player or two. Also makes sense to begin rebuilding now so that they can compete with the Padres in 2-3 years when the Dodgers start to fade.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I love Cutch. He's long been one of my favorite non-Yankee players in all of baseball. But the Yanks have way too much OF depth to justify paying top dollar on another one. In fact, there is enough quality OF depth to engage plenty of clubs into trade talks to address some 25 or 40 man weaknesses.

Spend luxury tax savings on pitching. That's it.

I agree, just saying he fit exactly what you need at the top of the lineup.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yup. Honestly, this is one of the reasons why I think the Yanks/Giants line up for a deal here. New GM. Bochy has 1 year left on his deal. And the nucleus of those World Series clubs has either retired or started their post age 30 year season declines. Their farm is thin and could use a talent injection from selling off a player or two. Also makes sense to begin rebuilding now so that they can compete with the Padres in 2-3 years when the Dodgers start to fade.

If the giants trade Bum, they need to burn the roster to the ground marlins style

Dooley

Reaction Score
If the giants trade Bum, they need to burn the roster to the ground marlins style

Probably. And full scale rebuild is such a tough sell in that market. San Fran loves their Giants - they draw very well.

Of course, things could go the other way and they ink Harper and/or Machado and go all in again. I'm very interested to see what vision new management has for that franchise. At some point, they'll have to restock the farm but they might decide that that can wait a little longer.

Reaction Score
Probably. And full scale rebuild is such a tough sell in that market. San Fran loves their Giants - they draw very well.

Of course, things could go the other way and they ink Harper and/or Machado and go all in again. I'm very interested to see what vision new management has for that franchise. At some point, they'll have to restock the farm but they might decide that that can wait a little longer.

Tough not to draw well in SF, they have the best baseball park in MLB in my opinion and I have been to a few parks (Fenway, New & old Yankee, Shea, Rogers Center, PNC Park, Citizens Bank, Turner Field, Tropicana, Comerica, Guarantee Rate Field [wtf?], Wrigley, Globe Life, Minute Maid Park, Coors Field, Chase Field, Angel Stadium, Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, and AT&T Park).

Back to the Yankees, about about a pair Seattle rumors. The first brings back the tarnished Cano to fill in for Didi's bat (Torres takes SS, Canada goes to 2B) that involves an exchange of bad contracts in Cano and Ellsbury. The second has the Yanks shipping Florial, Sheffield, and Whitlock for a legitimate #1 SP in Paxton.

MLB trade rumors: Mariners' Robinson Cano to Yankees? What a deal could look like

MLB trade rumors: Imagining a Yankees-Mariners James Paxton blockbuster deal

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
Tough not to draw well in SF, they have the best baseball park in MLB in my opinion and I have been to a few parks (Fenway, New & old Yankee, Shea, Rogers Center, PNC Park, Citizens Bank, Turner Field, Tropicana, Comerica, Guarantee Rate Field [wtf?], Wrigley, Globe Life, Minute Maid Park, Coors Field, Chase Field, Angel Stadium, Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, and AT&T Park).

Back to the Yankees, about about a pair Seattle rumors. The first brings back the tarnished Cano to fill in for Didi's bat (Torres takes SS, Canada goes to 2B) that involves an exchange of bad contracts in Cano and Ellsbury. The secon has the Yanks shipping Florial, Sheffield, and Whitlock for a legitimate #1 SP in Paxton.

MLB trade rumors: Mariners' Robinson Cano to Yankees? What a deal could look like

Yes that is the only path. Maybe the yanks throw in an arm since cano is actually still useful. But nothing big.

Seattle should jump at that and focus on the rebuild.

They need Seager to bounce back so they can deal him too.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Impressive list. Lots of west ballparks in here. Have you been to Petco Park (San Diego)? That's the only Pacific park I've been to. I liked it...was fortunate to watch a few innings from the top floor of the warehouse in LF before making my way down to my LF bleacher seats. It was a Sunday too so lots of Marines in the crowd. Really a cool atmosphere.

I need to get to PNC and AT&T. No excuse for PNC...that's a quick little drive and I actually have family fairly close by. AT&T is like a painting, it's so beautiful from TV. Would love to catch a game out there!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Back to the Yankees, about about a pair Seattle rumors. The first brings back the tarnished Cano to fill in for Didi's bat (Torres takes SS, Canada goes to 2B) that involves an exchange of bad contracts in Cano and Ellsbury. The secon has the Yanks shipping Florial, Sheffield, and Whitlock for a legitimate #1 SP in Paxton.

Back to these rumors.

Rumor 1- I don't know if the Yanks should deal bad contract for bad contract. They're already committed to Stanton for a very long time and the back half of that deal might not look so sharp. At some point, they'll have to extend Judge, Severino, Torres, etc and let's not forget that regardless of whether or not they trade for Paxton, there are still a few LHP on the free agent market that would be an upgrade to the starting staff. Cano for five more years at that price tag might prevent the Yanks from doing other, more cost-effective, things now and down the road. Ownership seems "loosely committed" to being under the luxury tax limit and bringing in Cano just about guarantees that they will exceed it every year for the next 5 years. Ellsbury's contract is horrendous but there are (thankfully) only 2 more years of that left before they'll pay $5M to get out of it. To me, that's more valuable than Cano for 5 even if Cano can play and Ellsbury can't. I'd be far more comfortable handing someone like Ben Zobrist a 2-year deal until Ellsbury can be bought out.

As for rumor 2 - I love it. Would hate to part with Sheffield but would do it to acquire an arm like Paxton (or Kluber or Carrasco). The price tag is so cost effective that a trade for Paxton wouldn't prevent the Yanks from also signing Corbin (5 years) and Happ (maybe 2 but probably 3 years). Now of a sudden, the rotation would be: Severino, Paxton, Corbin, Happ, Tanaka. CC is the long man and hope for late season innings out of Montgomery (although not likely). That's a very good rotation to pair up with the already strong bullpen. They'd also have more chips to liquidate at the trade deadline should any 25 man roster holes emerge during the season, either from poor play or injuries. I would pull the trigger on that one instantly. Then deal off Gray for a MI or CI. Or maybe convert him to a long relief guy. Maybe he boosts his trade stock or turns into a weapon out of the pen.

the Q

Reaction Score
Impressive list. Lots of west ballparks in here. Have you been to Petco Park (San Diego)? That's the only Pacific park I've been to. I liked it...was fortunate to watch a few innings from the top floor of the warehouse in LF before making my way down to my LF bleacher seats. It was a Sunday too so lots of Marines in the crowd. Really a cool atmosphere.

I need to get to PNC and AT&T. No excuse for PNC...that's a quick little drive and I actually have family fairly close by. AT&T is like a painting, it's so beautiful from TV. Would love to catch a game out there!

I got great seats at petco from a friend.

It’s an amazing park.

I haven’t been to that many though.

Fenway
Old yankee stadium
Metrodome
Camden yards
Nationals park
Petco

Dooley

Reaction Score
I got great seats at petco from a friend.

It’s an amazing park.

I haven’t been to that many though.

Fenway
Old yankee stadium
Metrodome
Camden yards
Nationals park
Petco

I still haven't been to Camden either. I know that's holy land for baseball fans to visit. I keep flirting with the idea of hopping on an Acela and going down for a random night game. Or maybe extend a weekend so I can catch a Camden/Nationals Park schedule changeover.

My retirement dream is to rent a RV and Clark Griswold a summer stopping at every ballpark along the way. My wife will enjoy it as long as I take her to see the world's 4th largest ball of mud. :D

the Q

Reaction Score
Yea there would be some heartache for the last few years of the deal.

Would make trading bird and voit easy decisions.

Cano would be a more expensive Murphy. Although maybe not as much when you offset the money owed to ellsbury.

It’s at least an idea worth kicking around.

Might use bird or voit In a deal to land a Brandon belt too.

the Q

Reaction Score
I still haven't been to Camden either. I know that's holy land for baseball fans to visit. I keep flirting with the idea of hopping on an Acela and going down for a random night game. Or maybe extend a weekend so I can catch a Camden/Nationals Park schedule changeover.

My retirement dream is to rent a RV and Clark Griswold a summer stopping at every ballpark along the way. My wife will enjoy it as long as I take her to see the world's 4th largest ball of mud. :D

Camden is a rock solid park.

Definitely get boogs bbq. It’s fantastic.

I liked nationals park a lot. I sat in the cheap seats in lf and still had a great view.

I may never go back to Camden yards since the only game I saw there was the last day of the 2011 season

Reaction Score

Thanks. I actually forgot include Camden Yards as I keep thinking its Yankee Stadium Central due to all of the Yanks fans who go to those games (Tampa is Yankee Staduim South and I know the Red Sox treat both teh same way, too). Of, it coudl have been the tequalia tasting I did that night with some work colleagues. I have heard good things about PetCo, too. For me, the next two are Nationals Park and City Field. I actually had tickets to a Nats game last year; but Mother Nature did not cooperate. People rave about City Field; but, as a guy from Jersey, I dread the two river crossings. I also want to get to Target Field the next time I trek out to see family in MSP. I do go to Atlanta a lot for work; but, the city for some reason built Sun Trust miles away from the nearest MARTA Station. The A's (again) and the Rangers I beleive are talking about new stadiums, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My wife would love it if I was out of her hair for 4 months doing the same, LOL. Trying to talk her into a trip to the Gulf Coast in the Spring of 2019. I promised her she can sit her pretty litlte arse on the beach for a few days of peace & quiet while I take my boys to Tampa (Yankees) and Ft. Myers (Red Sox, my oldest on is a Sox fan :() for some Spring Baseball. We're arleady scheduled to spend a week in Cooperstown for my oldest son's 12U tournament in the summer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back to these rumors.

As for rumor 2 - I love it. Would hate to part with Sheffield but would do it to acquire an arm like Paxton (or Kluber or Carrasco). The price tag is so cost effective that a trade for Paxton wouldn't prevent the Yanks from also signing Corbin (5 years) and Happ (maybe 2 but probably 3 years). Now of a sudden, the rotation would be: Severino, Paxton, Corbin, Happ, Tanaka. CC is the long man and hope for late season innings out of Montgomery (although not likely). That's a very good rotation to pair up with the already strong bullpen. They'd also have more chips to liquidate at the trade deadline should any 25 man roster holes emerge during the season, either from poor play or injuries. I would pull the trigger on that one instantly. Then deal off Gray for a MI or CI. Or maybe convert him to a long relief guy. Maybe he boosts his trade stock or turns into a weapon out of the pen.

I like the rotation. But, my concern is over the long-term. There is a lot of pitching talent and depth in the Yankees farm system right now beyond Sheffield. What happens to them? Its a good problem to have.

Dooley

Reaction Score
My wife would love it if I was out of her hair for 4 months doing the same, LOL. Trying to talk her into a trip to the Gulf Coast in the Spring of 2019. I promised her she can sit her pretty litlte arse on the beach for a few days of peace & quiet while I take my boys to Tampa (Yankees) and Ft. Myers (Red Sox, my oldest on is a Sox fan :() for some Spring Baseball. We're arleady scheduled to spend a week in Cooperstown for my oldest son's 12U tournament.

So I went down for Spring Training the year that the Trop opened. Got to watch Yanks vs Rays at some random outdoor field in St Pete. Must've been some high school or college field or something. Anyway, my brother and I sat on a lawn hill right behind the Yankees bullpen. In that pen sat Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Goose Gossage and Reggie Jackson. I kick myself every day for not being an annoying autograph seeking fan that day.

Reaction Score
So I went down for Spring Training the year that the Trop opened. Got to watch Yanks vs Rays at some random outdoor field in St Pete. Must've been some high school or college field or something. Anyway, my brother and I sat on a lawn hill right behind the Yankees bullpen. In that pen sat Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Goose Gossage and Reggie Jackson. I kick myself every day for not being an annoying autograph seeking fan that day.

Last winter (Feb '18), I took the family to a Dude Ranch in Tuscon for a week (I was a lot of fun, which I was surprised about, even with the snow in the higher elevations). After checking out of the Ranch, we drove up to Phoenix for dinner with my friend's family before flying home the next day. In the morning at our hotel , my younger son was staring at a slick car parked in the drop-off area and completely ignored the guy who got out and walked right past him. He back to the room and tells his big brother about the car. So, my older one goes 'I wonder whose car that was.' I just throw out there, 'I guess it was Mike Trout's car as he was the guy who got out and walked right past {name}'. My older son knew that the Angels were in Spring Training camp nearby and explodes at his brother, 'what, Mike Trout walked by you and you didn't even say hi or ask for an autograph!' The poor little guy started to cry. if we go in the Spring, I bet my younger son will be much better prepared.

the Q

Reaction Score
Thanks. I actually forgot include Camden Yards as I keep thinking its Yankee Stadium Central due to all of the Yanks fans who go to those games (Tampa is Yankee Staduim South and I know the Red Sox treat both teh same way, too). Of, it coudl have been the tequalia tasting I did that night with some work colleagues. I have heard good things about PetCo, too. For me, the next two are Nationals Park and City Field. I actually had tickets to a Nats game last year; but Mother Nature did not cooperate. People rave about City Field; but, as a guy from Jersey, I dread the two river crossings. I also want to get to Target Field the next time I trek out to see family in MSP. I do go to Atlanta a lot for work; but, the city for some reason built Sun Trust miles away from the nearest MARTA Station. The A's (again) and the Rangers I beleive are talking about new stadiums, too.

Yeah keeping a park away from public transit is rather dumb.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I do go to Atlanta a lot for work; but, the city for some reason built Sun Trust miles away from the nearest MARTA Station.

Not the city but the county mandated that the stadium NOT be built near mass transit. I think the reasons are pretty obvious.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not the city but the county mandated that the stadium NOT be built near mass transit. I think the reasons are pretty obvious.

They don’t want more revenue and less car pollution?

Reaction Score

Not surprised. I lived in a town once where certain locals tried to block an attempt to build a rail-trail nearby as one of the trail's terminus was in a city and they insisted that criminals would use the trail to break into people's homes. For some reason, 20 years later, no criminal has yet to been seen walking down the trail for 10 miles carrying someone's 40" plasma TV; but, now homes in the neighborhood actually list the trail as an asset when it is for sale,

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Just confirmation of the obvious here: Yanks showing interest in Corbin.

Also of note in Morosi's tweet: the thought that the Mets could trade Thor or deGrom then sign Corbin to replace whoever they trade. That's actually a good thought, if true. Both of those SPs could net a haul on the MLB and MiLB levels, depending on which way they want to go. Maybe a little of both.

As for how that possibility relates to the Yanks: perhaps they get involved in trade talks for deGrom. Highly unlikely that the Mets would make a blockbuster trade with the Yanks though. Always that fight for the back page and with fairly recent Jay Bruce to the Indians history/bickering, the chances are probably less than .01%. However, the Yanks farm is loaded and assuming Gleyber is untouchable, I think containing some of the likes of Sheffield/Adams/Abreu/Florial/Frazier/Andujar would be awfully difficult for the Mets to quickly dismiss because of cross-town rivalries. If the Yanks had to include Andujar, then they could conceivably pivot back to Machado and that's another win for the Mets as Machado looks most destined to land in Philadelphia.

The NL East is on lock down for another decade of Atlanta Braves dominance. And if the Phils ink both Machado and Harper, they'll be right up there with Atlanta as their primary division competitor. A trade of deGrom could really help the Mets chances by early next decade. At least give them a fighting chance at finishing higher than 4th behind Atlanta-Philadelphia-Washington in 2-3 years.

the Q

Reaction Score
Just confirmation of the obvious here: Yanks showing interest in Corbin.

Also of note in Morosi's tweet: the thought that the Mets could trade Thor or deGrom then sign Corbin to replace whoever they trade. That's actually a good thought, if true. Both of those SPs could net a haul on the MLB and MiLB levels, depending on which way they want to go. Maybe a little of both.

As for how that possibility relates to the Yanks: perhaps they get involved in trade talks for deGrom. Highly unlikely that the Mets would make a blockbuster trade with the Yanks though. Always that fight for the back page and with fairly recent Jay Bruce to the Indians history/bickering, the chances are probably less than .01%. However, the Yanks farm is loaded and assuming Gleyber is untouchable, I think containing some of the likes of Sheffield/Adams/Abreu/Florial/Frazier/Andujar would be awfully difficult for the Mets to quickly dismiss because of cross-town rivalries. If the Yanks had to include Andujar, then they could conceivably pivot back to Machado and that's another win for the Mets as Machado looks most destined to land in Philadelphia.

The NL East is on lock down for another decade of Atlanta Braves dominance. And if the Phils ink both Machado and Harper, they'll be right up there with Atlanta as their primary division competitor. A trade of deGrom could really help the Mets chances by early next decade. At least give them a fighting chance at finishing higher than 4th behind Atlanta-Philadelphia-Washington in 2-3 years.

They should trade degrom just to avoid the obvious conflict of interest they have.

Getting Corbin to replace him is just the cherry on top.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom