Now who is going to be the DC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Now who is going to be the DC?

Reaction Score
I'm expecting this DC hire to be someone on the FCS payscale to balance things out. And that guy at Army for Dline seemed intriguing.
Just called ticket office about BC game and they said they didn't know how they were going to handle the game as part of the package. I then asked if she knew who the new DC was, silence. I said its okay don't tell me but the choice has been made? It is confirmed. I guess they are waiting for the right time to announce.

Reaction Score
Just called ticket office about BC game and they said they didn't know how they were going to handle the game as part of the package. I then asked if she knew who the new DC was, silence. I said its okay don't tell me but the choice has been made? It is confirmed. I guess they are waiting for the right time to announce.
I know everyone in the ticket office and trust me they sell tickets. Not in the know to inner workings in the AD's office.

Reaction Score
So far we have hired 4/10 assistants and have $845K committed. We still need DC, ST, WR, OL, DL/DB (assuming DC is in charge of one or the other), and Strength. Using last year as a comp, those 6 positions took up roughly $1.4 of salary. That would put us about $200K over the pool.

Now obviously the allocation of salary for each assistant is going to be different this year than it has in the past. But if you go out and spend $350K on a DC, you're going to have to sacrifice on OL, WR, and STs. I think that would be a mistake, especially given the fact that HCRE is a defense guy.

Here's the break down so far and comp to 2016:
View attachment 18560

Add in the HC salaries and we should have about another 500k. Though it may be needed as contingency for incentives.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I normally would say this is impossible because he made $550K at Minnesota, but after the Rhett hiring I can't use that one haha

He's unemployed. What other FBS DC openings exist?

Reaction Score
Al Golden as DC would give Athletic Director Dave a true hat trick of successful hires!

Actually, Al Golden would be one of the two worst hires for DC Benedict could make. The other one just signed on last week to destroy the program on the defensive side of the ball at U of Houston. Al Golden comes from the Al Groh school of losing college defenses. He believes in a two-gap, 3-4 where the DL uses "arm violence" to play off the OL so they can read and react. By the time the DL reacts the runner has passed them and is trying to catch up to the LBs who lined up 7 yds off the ball at all times especially when the ball is within a couple of yds of their own goal line. He believes in a bend but don't break defensive strategy where the DBs line up 7-10 yds off the LOS and then back peddle before the ball is snapped to make sure they give up no more than 10-15 yds per play. Plan on UCONN giving up at least 500 yds of offense and more in most games routinely falling behind by 30 or more. Lashlee will have to score 50 per game if the Huskies are to win

Reaction Score
Actually, Al Golden would be one of the two worst hires for DC Benedict could make. The other one just signed on last week to destroy the program on the defensive side of the ball at U of Houston. Al Golden comes from the Al Groh school of losing college defenses. He believes in a two-gap, 3-4 where the DL uses "arm violence" to play off the OL so they can read and react. By the time the DL reacts the runner has passed them and is trying to catch up to the LBs who lined up 7 yds off the ball at all times especially when the ball is within a couple of yds of their own goal line. He believes in a bend but don't break defensive strategy where the DBs line up 7-10 yds off the LOS and then back peddle before the ball is snapped to make sure they give up no more than 10-15 yds per play. Plan on UCONN giving up at least 500 yds of offense and more in most games routinely falling behind by 30 or more. Lashlee will have to score 50 per game if the Huskies are to win

Sometimes I read these posts and feel like I must have missed the two years where we played defense under Brown and went undefeated both years, shutting everyone out.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I read these posts and feel like I must have missed the two years where we played defense under Brown and went undefeated both years, shutting everyone out.

Very true, but I think we can all agree that bend don't break has been very frustrating for us lately. Properly managed it is ok, but playing off everyone on 3rd down and basically handing them a first down has grown so tiresome that it literally gives me slight nausea.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Very true, but I think we can all agree that bend don't break has been very frustrating for us lately. Properly managed it is ok, but playing off everyone on 3rd down and basically handing them a first down has grown so tiresome that it literally gives me slight nausea.

losing has been frustrating.

Reaction Score

Sucky defense and passive defense are two entirely different things. Plenty of teams win playing reactive defense. We've won playing reactive defense. We need good athletes and good coaches and non-idiots running it.

Reaction Score
So far we have hired 4/10 assistants and have $845K committed. We still need DC, ST, WR, OL, DL/DB (assuming DC is in charge of one or the other), and Strength. Using last year as a comp, those 6 positions took up roughly $1.4 of salary. That would put us about $200K over the pool.

Now obviously the allocation of salary for each assistant is going to be different this year than it has in the past. But if you go out and spend $350K on a DC, you're going to have to sacrifice on OL, WR, and STs. I think that would be a mistake, especially given the fact that HCRE is a defense guy.

Here's the break down so far and comp to 2016:
View attachment 18560
Don't forget that Edsall may have taken less salary to add to that Assistant pool.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, it probably would work out great.

No. There is no way Diaco could take a job under Edsall and not spend half his time wondering how much better things could be if he was the head coach.

I have nothing against Diaco -- I'm sure he's a nice and a good guy -- and I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now he gets a shut at being head coach somewhere and this time succeeds. But he needs to restart his career somewhere else.

Reaction Score
No. There is no way Diaco could take a job under Edsall and not spend half his time wondering how much better things could be if he was the head coach.

I have nothing against Diaco -- I'm sure he's a nice and a good guy -- and I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now he gets a shut at being head coach somewhere and this time succeeds. But he needs to restart his career somewhere else.

Let me rephrase that... In a vacuum, it would probably work out great.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score

It's worked pretty well for the Patriots.... just sayin

Reaction Score
Speaking of Arkansas...who was the black coach that was there who was a hot name to maybe come to UCONN instead of Jocko? And where is he now?
Garrick McGhee.. He's OC at Illinois right now... I think all that UConn chatter started and ended here though... Never thought he was truly interested...

Reaction Score
My eyes are killing me today. I keep refreshing my twitter feed, but still nothing on the DC position. arghh...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom