Now who is going to be the DC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now who is going to be the DC?

Reaction Score
Sadly you might be right. But the guy is not Art Briles. What he did was more stupid than wrong.

I'm not judging him at all. The Title IX regs, in many ways, are outrageous, and I have a lot of sympathy for those being run over challenging them.

But his actions could have been perfectly understandable and morally fine, and he could still be too politically "hot" for the hiring to make sense.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm expecting this DC hire to be someone on the FCS payscale to balance things out. And that guy at Army for Dline seemed intriguing.

Reaction Score
I predict a guy who Edsall is really familiar with, since he's a defensive guy for the most part... Maybe from his coaching tree... somebody that shares similar philosophies on D.... anti-overly bending D....

Reaction Score
The Asst salary pool would allow for a similar paycheck to the DC as well.

So far we have hired 4/10 assistants and have $845K committed. We still need DC, ST, WR, OL, DL/DB (assuming DC is in charge of one or the other), and Strength. Using last year as a comp, those 6 positions took up roughly $1.4 of salary. That would put us about $200K over the pool.

Now obviously the allocation of salary for each assistant is going to be different this year than it has in the past. But if you go out and spend $350K on a DC, you're going to have to sacrifice on OL, WR, and STs. I think that would be a mistake, especially given the fact that HCRE is a defense guy.

Here's the break down so far and comp to 2016:
Uconn Coach.JPG

Reaction Score
In a dream world, Lawrence Taylor, off field issues aside. Anticipation building for Benedict's announcement.
if we are in the realm of former NFL players, I would MUCH rather have Tedy Bruschi! (I posted before that I think he would be great just to have on the staff even if he did not want a full time gig b/c he would be an awesome recruiter). We can all dream! But, even if the DC is not a major splash we have Randy's defensive competencies to influence that side of the ball. I am more heartened now than at any time in the last 5 years!

Reaction Score
if we are in the realm of former NFL players, I would MUCH rather have Tedy Bruschi! (I posted before that I think he would be great just to have on the staff even if he did not want a full time gig b/c he would be an awesome recruiter). We can all dream! But, even if the DC is not a major splash we have Randy's defensive competencies to influence that side of the ball. I am more heartened now than at any time in the last 5 years!

We also have a young coach who already served as a DC at the FCS level.

Get me an OL coach who can teach, and after that I will be less worried about technical coaching abilities and more about recruiting skills.

Reaction Score
So far we have hired 4/10 assistants and have $845K committed. We still need DC, ST, WR, OL, DL/DB (assuming DC is in charge of one or the other), and Strength. Using last year as a comp, those 6 positions took up roughly $1.4 of salary. That would put us about $200K over the pool.

Now obviously the allocation of salary for each assistant is going to be different this year than it has in the past. But if you go out and spend $350K on a DC, you're going to have to sacrifice on OL, WR, and STs. I think that would be a mistake, especially given the fact that HCRE is a defense guy.

View attachment 18560

What you didn't take account for is we're saving $700k on the HC salary.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anyone who wants Claeys is so anit-Jocko and the word "culture".

Edsall is the anti-Claeys. This hire ain't happening.

Reaction Score
True but we are also spending money on a former coach which we weren't doing last year.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
We also have a young coach who already served as a DC at the FCS level.

Get me an OL coach who can teach, and after that I will be less worried about technical coaching abilities and more about recruiting skills.
OK, so you went there in terms of the rest of the staff... TOTALLY agree that our OL has to take 3 large steps forward! That might be the single most important thing we can do next. Not to undermine what it takes to be a good running back and a good drop back thrower, but if the holes are there for the 'backs and the time is there to make throws, then it is sooo much easier to move the ball.

Reaction Score
True but we are also spending money on a former coach which we weren't doing last year.
False, if media reports indicating private donations funded Fiasco's buyout are correct.

Reaction Score

View attachment 18560

Look at the math.

We saved $55k on the OC/TE/QB coaches.

Last year: OC + TE + QB coaches = $500k (Verducci + Lineburg)

This year: OC + QB + TE coaches = $445k (Lashlee + Edsall)

We saved $47k on LB coach (although someone will have to pick up STs):

Wolthausen = $202k. Wholley = $155k.

We increased RB coach cost by $132k:

Corley = $113k. Richardson = $245k.

Net, we are paying ~$30k more for the currently hired coaches which seems about equal to the previous staff.

Also, UConn had 6 assistant coaches (excluding strength coach) making $200k or more last year. In comparison:

Cincinnati: 4
UCF: 5
ECU: 3
Houston: 5
Memphis: 5
USF: 5

Rutgers: 6
WVU: 6

Reaction Score
Taking into consideration our current financial situation (read: Diaco buyout), paying our OC $350K, and HCRE being a defensive guy, I think the DC will be less of a big splash and more of a bargain buy to fit the coaches' salary pool.

Don't forget the new OC will also be the QB coach so that saves about -$125-150K from the assistant coaching pool. Another key is who will be the OL and DL coaches?

Reaction Score
While we are shooting for the moon and landing, lets go get Don Brown back!

Reaction Score
Look at the math.

We saved $55k on the OC/TE/QB coaches.

Last year: OC + TE + QB coaches = $500k (Verducci + Lineburg)

This year: OC + QB + TE coaches = $445k (Lashlee + Edsall)

We saved $47k on LB coach (although someone will have to pick up STs):

Wolthausen = $202k. Wholley = $155k.

We increased RB coach cost by $132k:

Corley = $113k. Richardson = $245k.

Net, we are paying ~$30k more for the currently hired coaches which seems about equal to the previous staff.

Also, UConn had 6 assistant coaches (excluding strength coach) making $200k or more last year. In comparison:

Cincinnati: 4
UCF: 5
ECU: 3
Houston: 5
Memphis: 5
USF: 5

Rutgers: 6
WVU: 6

Right, the allocations will be different. The question that needs to be answered is where will the savings be invested and what kind of coaches you want on your staff. A good strength coach is going to run you $200-$250K right off the bat. $200K brings you down to #500 on the highest assistant coach salaries, so about the median salary.

I'm not arguing that they couldn't make a $350K DC salary fit. I'm saying that having higher quality position coaches is more important since HCRE can assist with the defensive responsibilities.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Claeys would surprise me. dont want too many big egos on one staff, that never works. my hope is for the army DC

Reaction Score
Avoid coaching candidates who wear red pants and speak in bizarre metaphors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom