NOW can we talk starting lineup? (Merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NOW can we talk starting lineup? (Merged thread)

Who will the 5th starter be?

• Westbrook

• Adebayo

• Makurat

• Camara

• Griffin

• Irwin

• Bent

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fouls definitely took us out of pressure defense at times. Geno couldn't afford to have Crystal, for example, sit for any length of time.
Agree but fouls are usually the result of bad technique before fatigue comes into play. It is good to have depth for when someone gets in foul trouble but far better to have superior technique. BTW Evina's defensive technique offers great growth potential. She has all the tools but they were never used at TN.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I still don't think Geno is done recruiting for 19-20 season yet. A foreign player or a graduate transfer with size to pair along with Olivia on the front line is still needed.
Starters:
ONO
Player X
Walker
CW
CD III
Rotation :
Camara (4/5)
Adebayo/Irwin (4)
Griffin (3)
Makurat (2)
Westbrook /Bent(1)

Sorry, as a former lacrosse player, I've been watching some playoff action. Congrats on Ms. Westbrook choosing UConn. I'm sure Geno A. will get this combination of players excelling on collective and individual levels in a way that will be both effecting and entertaining (darn....Head bang)

Interesting. At just about the same time you (Coco) wrote this, I was reacting to news on this over at "The Bench" and scribbled in the exact line-up, save for me calling "player x" the ??? factor. I wonder if Geno will try to see if a combination of Camara/Adebayo and/or Irwin at the x/??? factor and back-up to O N-O will do the trick.

For that reason, I do think that Genor will continue to work on the international/transfer/2020 front to get another strong post/forward. While it's water way under a bridge we can't see in the rear-view mirror any more, A. Boston's decision to head to South Carolina caused some major disruption at a few campuses in America. Geno A. and MM will make up for it, but still.....lot of air miles and telephone calls on that position.

If Westbrook is granted a waiver, I can't see her not being inserted into the starting line-up. For the vast majority of the Huskies games, I don't think this will matter all that much. But I just can't see Walker as a regular power forward. She's not Gabby (and Gabby is not her): she's better suited to the wing position who can alternately attack the lanes and use her middle-game and increasingly improving long(er) game. (If this sounds like I'm writing about Jackie Young, well, yup...)

I think this X/? factor will also affect a lot of the comments I've seen about team speed in relation to the fast break. I have no doubt the guards will all move well, but to run the break you need the rock. Let's see how that's addressed. Once again, congrats on Westbrook and all the other guard additions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree but fouls are usually the result of bad technique before fatigue comes into play. It is good to have depth for when someone gets in foul trouble but far better to have superior technique. BTW Evina's defensive technique offers great growth potential. She has all the tools but they were never used at TN.
Fouls can also result from poor officiating or a momentary lapse of reason. Whatever the cause, a deeper roster allows pressure defense for a longer stretch.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn has not been a team with a deep bench for a long time. I can't recall when UConn had this many talented guards, though it may have. Just don't recall.

I think a big question is

1. how a kid from a dysfunctional program will fit into the strenuously conforming culture of Connecticut?

2. How will a kid who dissed (understandably) her former coach at the end of the season acquire that winning and team-oriented mentality that Coach Geno and his players demand?

I think the culture on this team will have to evolve- will be forced to evolve- in a short period of time like no other team I can recall in Storrs.

Huge changes, big culture challenges, a brand-new outlook.

This is going to be interesting....

1. Like all first year/time players at UConn, she will have to be "deprogrammed", then built back up. In her case, quickly. If she gets that waiver, Geno will not have the luxury of time to do this.
2. New environment - different culture. When you associate, you assimilate. It begins during her fist pick up game this summer. It will continue and be reinforced daily by Geno and staff when official practice begins. Everyone on THIS team has a positive attitude that will bleed over onto and into Westbrook. She's probably never experienced the level of "genuine" support and camaraderie that she'll see and experience from the UConn bench once the season begins. She'll be fine. :) It's possible that Walker will be her roommate this year, so she'll have Megan in her ear all year long pouring positive vibes into her. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
A player on this team who will be a starter is going to be one of the best next year and that is ONO. Right now, there is no back up for her at all sitting on the bench. She proved that last year. She filled a big hole and provided defense to the inside that right now, cannot be provided with the current and enlisted players on this team.

The envelope sez that will change before the end of the recruiting period for the upcoming season. Geno is not done yet. Still lots of time left. Contacts and recruitment inquiries/pitches have been made. We're just waiting on announcements and reveals at this point. Just like we got one last night, expect to get another. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) Dangerfield (Westbrook, Makurat)
2) Westbrook (Makurat, Christyn)
3) Christyn (Westbrook, Makurat, Megan)
4) Megan (Adebayo, Camara)
5) Olivia (Adebayo, Camara)

8 man rotation.
Don't forget Griffin

Reaction Score
The question asked is who will be the fifth starter. It assumes that CD, Megan, Williams, and ONO are starters. Not necessarily so. Likely perhaps. But..

Carnac

Reaction Score
Duh! I felt like I was missing someone!

So I guess it would look something like this in a close competitive game:

1) Dangerfield 30, Westbrook 10, Makurat (as needed)
2) Westbrook 20, Makurat 12, Griffin 8
3) Christyn 30, Makurat 7, Griffin 3
4) Megan 30, Adebayo 7, Camara 3
5) Olivia 30 Adebayo 7, Camara 3

9 man rotation? Have we ever seen that in Storrs?

Starters 30 minutes each = 150
Makurat - 9
Griffin - 1
Adebayo - 14
Camara - 6

150 + 19 + 11 + 14 + 6 = 200.

I'm looking for the bench to get a lot of playing time late in games this season because Geno will be able to keep the pressure on teams the entire game. Because of this, many games will be decided by the beginning of the 4th quarter, especially AAC games. I see Griffin averaging 5-8 mpg. The rest of them as you have suggested. No doubt Geno wants to get Griffin ready for next year. He going to need her more then. Funny, a month ago some posters here were thinking she could possibly start. :eek:

Reaction Score
As my college coach told us, if you apply the pressure correctly you won’t have to foul. They’ll give you the ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry, as a former lacrosse player, I've been watching some playoff action. Congrats on Ms. Westbrook choosing UConn. I'm sure Geno A. will get this combination of players excelling on collective and individual levels in a way that will be both effecting and entertaining (darn....Head bang)

Interesting. At just about the same time you (Coco) wrote this, I was reacting to news on this over at "The Bench" and scribbled in the exact line-up, save for me calling "player x" the ??? factor. I wonder if Geno will try to see if a combination of Camara/Adebayo and/or Irwin at the x/??? factor and back-up to O N-O will do the trick.

For that reason, I do think that Genor will continue to work on the international/transfer/2020 front to get another strong post/forward. While it's water way under a bridge we can't see in the rear-view mirror any more, A. Boston's decision to head to South Carolina caused some major disruption at a few campuses in America. Geno A. and MM will make up for it, but still.....lot of air miles and telephone calls on that position.

If Westbrook is granted a waiver, I can't see her not being inserted into the starting line-up. For the vast majority of the Huskies games, I don't think this will matter all that much. But I just can't see Walker as a regular power forward. She's not Gabby (and Gabby is not her): she's better suited to the wing position who can alternately attack the lanes and use her middle-game and increasingly improving long(er) game. (If this sounds like I'm writing about Jackie Young, well, yup...)

I think this X/? factor will also affect a lot of the comments I've seen about team speed in relation to the fast break. I have no doubt the guards will all move well, but to run the break you need the rock. Let's see how that's addressed. Once again, congrats on Westbrook and all the other guard additions.
Almost universal agreement here except for Westbrook starting.
A healthy Batouly is exactly the kind of rugged presence that UCONN needs to go along with ONO up from and I think that is why Batouly came back.
Megan Walker not suited to play the PF position on a full time basis.
Westbrook has a tall order to start at UCONN because she would have to displace CW, CD or MW or have one of the three switch position. Displacing CD as the PG is out of the question in my mind because then you are interrupting the continuity with CW, ONO and Megan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Almost universal agreement here except for Westbrook starting.
A healthy Batouly is exactly the kind of rugged presence that UCONN needs to go along with ONO up from and I think that is why Batouly came back.
Megan Walker not suited to play the PF position on a full time basis.
Westbrook has a tall order to start at UCONN because she would have to displace CW, CD or MW or have one of the three switch position. Displacing CW as the PG is out of the question in my mind because then you are interrupting the continuity with CW, ONO and Megan.
I agree. Don’t know why everyone gets so hung up on who starts. Bill Russell said that for several years Havlicek was the most valuable guy on the Celtics when he was coming off the bench.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But I just can't see Walker as a regular power forward. She's not Gabby (and Gabby is not her): she's better suited to the wing position who can alternately attack the lanes and use her middle-game and increasingly improving long(er) game.

I disagree with you on Walker. Maya played the PF in UConn's offense and Meg and Maya are about the same size (Meg maybe slightly bigger). Although Meg is not as good as Maya, that position in UConn's offense allows her to maximize all of her skills. Maya was a playmaker (lots of assists), drove to the basket, shot a lot of 3s, shot mid-range jumpers, etc. Meg can do all of those things. Neither Gabby nor Pheesa could shoot 3s so they weren't moved around as much as Geno moved Maya and will move Meg to provide a variety of opportunities and mismatches. Meg isn't as athletic as Young so I don't get that comparison.

Reaction Score
Another guard? We got the right guard:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The envelope sez that will change before the end of the recruiting period for the upcoming season. Geno is not done yet. Still lots of time left. Contacts and recruitment inquiries/pitches have been made. We're just waiting on announcements and reveals at this point. Just like we got one last night, expect to get another. ;)

Geno's recruitment strategy, I will never be caught with a roster of 5+ players again.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Duh! I felt like I was missing someone!

So I guess it would look something like this in a close competitive game:

1) Dangerfield 30, Westbrook 10, Makurat (as needed)
2) Westbrook 20, Makurat 12, Griffin 8
3) Christyn 30, Makurat 7, Griffin 3
4) Megan 30, Adebayo 7, Camara 3
5) Olivia 30 Adebayo 7, Camara 3

9 man rotation? Have we ever seen that in Storrs?

Starters 30 minutes each = 150
Makurat - 9
Griffin - 1
Adebayo - 14
Camara - 6

150 + 19 + 11 + 14 + 6 = 200.
I'm guessing, Makurat 19, and Griffin 11, is what you meant to type?

Reaction Score
IDK about that. I think it is entirely possible that the UCONN starters and "regular" rotation will consists of 1 post player (ONO) 4 Wings (Walker, Griffin & Adebayo, Makurat) and 3 guards (Williams , Dangerfield, Westbrook)
I don't agree with your classification for Griffin and Adebayo. They will play way more in than out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm looking for the bench to get a lot of playing time late in games this season because Geno will be able to keep the pressure on teams the entire game. Because of this, many games will be decided by the beginning of the 4th quarter, especially AAC games. I see Griffin averaging 5-8 mpg. The rest of them as you have suggested. No doubt Geno wants to get Griffin ready for next year. He going to need her more then. Funny, a month ago some posters here were thinking she could possibly start. :eek:
Agree. I didn't allocate any bench time beyond the listed players deliberately. In AAC games I'd fully expect the starters to play 5 to 10 minutes less. That generates another 25 - 50 available minutes. There's plenty of time for them.

Camara is another variable. If she's healthy they'll have to find more minutes for her. So that would eat into ONO's and Walker's time. If they each drop 5 then she'd have 16 minutes available to her. Obviously this only a really rough preliminary look at how the pieces fit. Player performance will modify it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As my college coach told us, if you apply the pressure correctly you won’t have to foul. They’ll give you the ball.

Funny you should say that. My coach said the exact same thing. I found it to be true. Even at the professional level. If you’ve been watching the NBA playoff games, you’ve seen it for yourself.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If Westbrook is granted the waiver, there is no way she is coming off the bench. Geno has talked about putting the 5 best players on the court, especially with their recent lack of height.
Unfortunately, Megan will continue to remain playing the 4 if Evina plays. Megan will be a wing player at the next level, so hopefully she can work on making her 3s more consistent, and working on her handle when driving the ball
After Molly Bent (55%), Megan had the best 3 point field goal percentage of anyone on the team, including Lou

Reaction Score
Hey guys Geno isnt finished yet not by a longshot. We need bigs and I do believe we are going to get BIGS.
@Tonyc ---it is not my intent to be disagreeable,, But! Give the guy a break. He has busted his posterior and has exceeded the expectations of the most critical of his critic's (ME). He must leave an opening for next year. Also, an opening or 2 for a solid BIG is needed, if not he may lose more than has gained. I think Geno does best with players that come in as FROSH, learn the Geno ways and stays 4 years, mostly they produce and big .
Howsomeever if Geno gets a big or 2. I won't be the naysayer, I'll grin all the way to number 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom