NOW can we talk starting lineup? (Merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NOW can we talk starting lineup? (Merged thread)

Who will the 5th starter be?

• Westbrook

• Adebayo

• Makurat

• Camara

• Griffin

• Irwin

• Bent

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
What am I missing? Westbrook is being selected over Ania? An international player that has played against bigger and older players and has survived. She has played at a higher level than anyone , certainly anyone at Tenn. That would be my choice. A kid with high level of experience unless she proves otherwise, she'd be the ONE. Obviously, I'm missing something
! Holly must have been much better than most thought????

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What am I missing? Westbrook is being selected over Ania? An international player that has played against bigger and older players and has survived. She has played at a higher level than anyone , certainly anyone at Tenn. That would be my choice. A kid with high level of experience unless she proves otherwise, she'd be the ONE. Obviously, I'm missing something
! Holly must have been much better than most thought????
Ania will be a freshman, Evina a junior.

Reaction Score
I'm looking for the bench to get a lot of playing time late in games this season because Geno will be able to keep the pressure on teams the entire game. Because of this, many games will be decided by the beginning of the 4th quarter, especially AAC games. I see Griffin averaging 5-8 mpg. The rest of them as you have suggested. No doubt Geno wants to get Griffin ready for next year. He going to need her more then. Funny, a month ago some posters here were thinking she could possibly start. :eek:
Interesting synopsis!! Geno will be Guard heavy, he loves guards. Pressure defense, too is his forte and with this number of (hopefully) talented players he'll have that option, AAC or no. Which, going along with your posting, if the bench is truly ready, they will find many minutes in real game time. That is the way to keep this many talented player happy.
A MONTH ago, Uconn had 4 starters and guessing who elses--that whoelse was Griffin--you use what you have.

Reaction Score
Ania will be a freshman, Evina a junior.
I get that. But International play, playing against pro's seems to have the edge over UT actions---we shall see. Geno like's people like Ania and KIA..
You obviously are right, but unless EVina proves more capable, I'd go with Ania..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I get that. But International play, playing against pro's seems to have the edge over UT actions---we shall see. Geno like's people like Ania and KIA..
You obviously are right, but unless EVina proves more capable, I'd go with Ania..
He doesn’t like to start freshmen unless he has no choice

Reaction Score
Let me repeat KIA. Maya. DT. With Geno I have learned it is wise to never say never. Never will take transfers, Never will play U Tenn.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Displacing CW as the PG is out of the question in my mind because then you are interrupting the continuity with CW, ONO and Megan.
Coco, not totally sure you're talking here about this upcoming year or the year after. Either way, I too would prefer that CW be the backup point guard. I could be wrong about AM, and in some ways I hope I am, but I would prefer that she play the wing until she's a sophomore at least (assuming she stays a while).

Similarly, I would want EW to be fully assimilated into the UConn system before she plays the point.

Reaction Score

Except that Gabby was a fantastic/out of this world jumper, and played as if she were 6'4". She was a female David Thompson. And that made enormous difference. And tuck was not just relatively tall, but enormously strong. And wasn't Stokes in there?

So that team played as though it were far bigger than the numbers suggested.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, not totally sure you're talking here about this upcoming year or the year after. Either way, I too would prefer that CW be the backup point guard. I could be wrong about AM, and in some ways I hope I am, but I would prefer that she play the wing until she's a sophomore at least (assuming she stays a while).
Similarly, I would want EW to be fully assimilated into the UConn system before she plays the point.
Obviously a blunder on my part. The sentence should have read displacing "CD' as the PG. I have edited the post. The year after Crystal leaves will be a very healthy competition for the UCONN starting PG that will include Evina (if she sticks around) Paige, Nika or even Ania. CW is a lock IMO to be the starting SG at UCONN until she graduates.

Reaction Score
Starters
CD
Christyn
Megan
Adebayo
Olivia

Heavy in the rotation minutes
Evina, Camara,

Growing pain minutes
Griffith, Makurat

That depends on whether Camara is permanently injured. She only made it into the closing minutes this past season. She certainly had the size and talent to play more.

Is Camara another Brittany Hunter? Is it that bad? At some point, UConn will let out the truth. But her knee is a major factor in who plays and how much.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That depends on whether Camara is permanently injured. She only made it into the closing minutes this past season. She certainly had the size and talent to play more.
Is Camara another Brittany Hunter? Is it that bad? At some point, UConn will let out the truth. But her knee is a major factor in who plays and how much.
You seem to be stuck in that crusty place again where you believe that UCONN is hiding the truth about the condition of the players or that UCONN somehow owes you a personal explanation. HIPAA prevents the former and the latter is none of your business. Enjoy the games and wish all the players good health.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or unless their maturity and ability accommodate it. It seldom does.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
BINGO!!! We have a winner.

You can't teach speed and I think we now have an abundance of it. Even Olivia can run the floor. As an opponent next year, I would have serious concerns about being run off the court in the first half.

Depending on how the team comes together, the variations of read and react are infinite with this roster. We are also looking at the potential to have 5 players in double figures every game. For the most part, that eliminates opponents using gimmick defenses like we dealt with this past season.
It may be as fast as the 16-17 team of Saniya, Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa, loved the way they ran a lot of teams out of the building. One of my favorite games was USF at UConn in the XL Center, 102 - 37. The FS1 announcers couldn't believe how UConn dismantled USF in the first half.

Reaction Score
You seem to be stuck in that crusty place again where you believe that UCONN is hiding the truth about the condition of the players or that UCONN somehow owes you a personal explanation. HIPAA prevents the former and the latter is none of your business. Enjoy the games and wish all the players good health.

No, I do not contend that UConn is hiding the truth.

Again, would you care to maintain a modicum of civility? Care to reduce the venom? I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I always go back to season I first started to seriously follow UConn Women's basketball, 2002-03, after four top WNBA picks graduated. That season, not one but two freshmen started the first few games: Nicole Wolff and Ann Strother. Did Geno have no choice? Let's see, he could have started Ashley Battle and Ashley Valley, two sophomores. They both played quite a bit. Hmmm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom