November non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

November non-UConn recruiting thread

Reaction Score
Had no clue Shade even visited. Do we know she even did recently?
Thought I read she did, maybe it was Louisville. When I get home, I’ll check. Getting old and have to write stuff down :(

Reaction Score
Okay! I know her Instagram is private. So I wouldn’t know. Haven’t checked Twitter.

Reaction Score
I feel like Shade was at Stanford recently but I think it was a couple weeks ago. But also feeling old. Stinks huh?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lexi Bando?
Aleah Goodman a lot more recently, but I'm mostly referring to fairly highly ranked prospects pretty much always leaving Oregon for college.

Reaction Score
Aleah Goodman a lot more recently, but I'm mostly referring to fairly highly ranked prospects pretty much always leaving Oregon for college.
Oregon wbb was so poor forever that locals had no choice but to go elsewhere. Runge attracted a few, but thank you, Paul Westhead, for taking Oregon off the map.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon wbb was so poor forever that locals had no choice but to go elsewhere. Runge attracted a few, but thank you, Paul Westhead, for taking Oregon off the map.
OSU and UO were both good by the time Westbrook came around, arguably better than Tennessee at that point. And then of course there was Brink, but it's always hard to pass up Stanford. Her ratings plummeted, but at one point Vonleh was ranked fairly high and it doesn't seem like she gave either of the Oregon schools a sniff.

Oops, I guess I'm shortchanging Katie McWilliams. Some services had her fairly highly rated.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Yes, for Stanford in the not too distant past (more than one from the Oregon City team, I believe, which was once a powerhouse), then Tennessee (4 consecutive highly ranked players: Nared, Reynolds, Russell, Westbrook), then Stanford again (Brink). Nice to see her stay home.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yes, for Stanford in the not too distant past (more than one from the Oregon City team, I believe, which was once a powerhouse), then Tennessee (4 consecutive highly ranked players: Nared, Reynolds, Russell, Westbrook), then Stanford again (Brink). Nice to see her stay home.
Not sure if she was really highly ranked, but the Oregon City coach's daughter went to Vandy, along with him.

Were Yamasaki and Harmon both from Oregon City?

It's okay, Washington pretty much has the same history as Oregon w/ prep stars leaving for college.

Reaction Score
Not sure if she was really highly ranked, but the Oregon City coach's daughter went to Vandy, along with him.

Were Yamasaki and Harmon both from Oregon City?

It's okay, Washington pretty much has the same history as Oregon w/ prep stars leaving for college.
Harmon was from Lake Oswego, OR (Lakeridge HS)

Reaction Score
Oregon 2001/2002 had one player from Arizona, six from California, four from Washington and four from Oregon. Now it is national recruiting and international. Fans left in droves when Westhead was hired. Was a disaster that took years to recover from.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oregon 2001/2002 had one player from Arizona, six from California, four from Washington and four from Oregon. Now it is national recruiting and international. Fans left in droves when Westhead was hired. Was a disaster that took years to recover from.
Given the Westhead debacle (and, sadly, Bev Smith in the years preceding that), it's easy to forget that Jody Runge's teams at Oregon (1994-2001) made 8 straight NCAA Tournaments and won back to back Pac10 titles in 1998-99 and 1999-2000. Her Pac10 record was 100-44, she was coach of the year twice. and the team never finished lower than 4th. One of the highlights was pulling a highly-ranked player from Oregon City (Brianne Meharry). However, some of her best teams featured players from Australia (I think there were 3 in all); Tara called them "mercenaries."

Runge was fired in 2000 due to player complaints and she never worked as a coach again. Ironically, she was just inducted into the UO Athletic Hall of Fame. An apology for the actions of a prior athletic director? Forgiveness? From Runge? From UO? Or a total lack of shame on UO's part? Anyway, I'm glad it happened.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Given the Westhead debacle (and, sadly, Bev Smith in the years preceding that), it's easy to forget that Jody Runge's teams at Oregon (1994-2001) made 8 straight NCAA Tournaments and won back to back Pac10 titles in 1998-99 and 1999-2000. Her Pac10 record was 100-44, she was coach of the year twice. and the team never finished lower than 4th. One of the highlights was pulling a highly-ranked player from Oregon City (Brianne Meharry). However, some of her best teams featured players from Australia (I think there were 3 in all); Tara called them "mercenaries."

Runge was fired in 2000 due to player complaints and she never worked as a coach again. Ironically, she was just inducted into the UO Athletic Hall of Fame. An apology for the actions of a prior athletic director? Forgiveness? From Runge? From UO? Or a total lack of shame on UO's part? Anyway, I'm glad it happened.
And if she would have stayed in coaching she might have made a big name for herself. Fred Litzenburger was her assistant and he stressed defense. Btw, He just passed away last summer. Runge runs a bed and breakfast in pdx and has made a couple of games in Matt Knight in the last few years. Former Duck Natasha O'Brien was an Aussie that played for Runge. She married and stayed in Eugene all these years. You can see her at the games doing stats on the floor near the announcer and clock keeper. Natasha played on the Brianne Meharry (Oregon City), Jenny Mowe (Powers Oregon) , Angelina Wolvert, Sonja Curtis, Lindsey Dion, Shaquala Williams (Portland Oregon) and Lisa Boyer (Aussie) Oregon team.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom