November non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

November non-UConn recruiting thread

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
Her ratings plummeted, but at one point Vonleh was ranked fairly high and it doesn't seem like she gave either of the Oregon schools a sniff.

Vonleh was ranked 38, then the new ranking service for ESPN dropped her to 100. Having watched her for a couple of months now, she's fantastic. Much closer to 38 than 100. Soft touch, balanced, so nice in the post. She also dropped like 60 lbs over the last year. Very fit and strong.

But she was coached by one of Adia Barnes' old teammates at Arizona. I think it would have been tough to get her away from Arizona.

And that Clark commitment was nice. I thought she might go to Tennessee because her uncle was really pushing it, but Adia was able to close the deal. They needed that. They have tons of great talent inside, but the backcourt was not as talented.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Arizona is here to stay! Coach Barnes is doin the damn thang!!

Didn't Ms. Dew have a list of 12? And Coach Barnes edited that to one quickly and efficiently. Bravo.
(Saved Coach Niele what would've been an in-vain flight to Vegas... ;) )

Reaction Score
Arizona is here to stay! Coach Barnes is doin the damn thang!!
Is she locked in to Arizona or could a plane load of cash, from say Texas A&M, get her out of Arizona? I know she got a nice raise this year, but A&M sports money is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
USC's Gottlieb is continuing her career as a lousy recruiter. She was luckily able to convince Top 10 Aaliyah Gayles to stick to her original commit (under the previous coaches) but has come up short everywhere else. She also got a commit from 8th grade phenom Brooklyn Shamblin but we all know how that goes.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is she locked in to Arizona or could a plane load of cash, from say Texas A&M, get her out of Arizona? I know she got a nice raise this year, but A&M sports money is ridiculous.

Unless A&M is gonna offer double her salary or something.. its probably better to stick with Arizona. In the SEC you gotta deal with Staley, Mulkey, Schaefer, and to a lesser extent Harper, and Taylor. In the Pac 12... Just Tara, and I guess Graves. Tara will probably retire soon... and I think it might be easier to recruit to Arizona than it is to TAMU, but I could be mistaken.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Unless A&M is gonna offer double her salary or something.. its probably better to stick with Arizona. In the SEC you gotta deal with Staley, Mulkey, Schaefer, and to a lesser extent Harper, and Taylor. In the Pac 12... Just Tara, and I guess Graves. Tara will probably retire soon... and I think it might be easier to recruit to Arizona than it is to TAMU, but I could be mistaken.
I'll give you Staley, Mulkey and Schaefer is a formidable trio, but Harper and Taylor? They've done a lot less so far in their careers than either Rueck or Close, and certainly Graves.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't see Barnes leaving UA until she either wins a championship there or concludes her ceiling at UA makes it impossible to do so. Given she was a last-minute missed basket away from a national championship last year, I think she would be reasonable to think she can do so while at UA, at least as long as she keeps recruiting like she has. Barnes put UA on the map first as a player, and now as their coach, and she has done remarkable, remarkable things at her home institution.

I honestly can't think of a better home-grown product story in all of college basketball coaching, men's or women's, than Barnes at UA. It's really, really hard to see her leaving that any time soon.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'll give you Staley, Mulkey and Schaefer is a formidable trio, but Harper and Taylor? They've done a lot less so far in their careers than either Rueck or Close, and certainly Graves.

Actually I was talking more about TN and UGA's desirability in terms of attracting recruits... not necessarily Harper and Taylor's ability to actual coach.

Reaction Score
I don't see Barnes leaving UA until she either wins a championship there or concludes her ceiling at UA makes it impossible to do so. Given she was a last-minute missed basket away from a national championship last year, I think she would be reasonable to think she can do so while at UA, at least as long as she keeps recruiting like she has. Barnes put UA on the map first as a player, and now as their coach, and she has done remarkable, remarkable things at her home institution.

I honestly can't think of a better home-grown product story in all of college basketball coaching, men's or women's, than Barnes at UA. It's really, really hard to see her leaving that any time soon.
I agree. I also think Arizona would be a great college for recruiting. Tucson is a great college town and less than two hours from Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Harper has already beaten two out of those three coaches before and Taylor will be matching wits with Mulkey very soon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Harper has already beaten two out of those three coaches before and Taylor will be matching wits with Mulkey very soon.
Harper has made it to the Sweet 16 once in 18 years as a head coach (and at neither of the P5 schools she's coached at, where other coaches have managed it numerous times) and Taylor hasn't managed it yet. Consider me unimpressed. Also Harper's team has won their conference once in those 18 years, and she's been a HC in 2 different mid major conferences. Taylor hasn't been remotely close to a conference title yet. You have to do SOMETHING before you can brag up a coach. One win head to head against another coach really doesn't hold a lot of water. Show me a high level of regular season and/or post season success for either one, then there will be something to talk about.

Reaction Score
Harper has made it to the Sweet 16 once in 18 years as a head coach (and at neither of the P5 schools she's coached at, where other coaches have managed it numerous times) and Taylor hasn't managed it yet. Consider me unimpressed. Also Harper's team has won their conference once in those 18 years, and she's been a HC in 2 different mid major conferences. Taylor hasn't been remotely close to a conference title yet. You have to do SOMETHING before you can brag up a coach. One win head to head against another coach really doesn't hold a lot of water. Show me a high level of regular season and/or post season success for either one, then there will be something to talk about.
I agree with everything you said except that Taylor was the runner up for the SEC title last season. Taylor much like Barnes is on the upswing, except Barnes success is on a whole different level but I'm not counting her out just yet or even Harper but they don't belong in the same conversation as Barnes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You forgot to mention Neighbors. He did make a FF and he should by your logic should be running roughshod in the SEC

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What Adia Barnes has done at Arizona is truly amazing.
Looks like Adia has adopted the Louisville method of recruiting- offer indiscriminately.
Must be at least 20 offer in the class of 2023 alone!

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said except that Taylor was the runner up for the SEC title last season. Taylor much like Barnes is on the upswing, except Barnes success is on a whole different level but I'm not counting her out just yet or even Harper but they don't belong in the same conversation as Barnes.

Hadn't we better see if Arizona actually does keep it up before we make sweeping comments?

It will be interesting to see what Texas A&M chooses to do with this hire.

They certainly could make Barnes the highest paid coach of that is what they want to do and my guess is she would take it, but you never do know.

The SEC might actually get to where a lot of folks think it already is in WBB.

I am mostly all for it though a part of me wonders whether clawing through a tightest conference schedule and Non-Conference is ideal for BCAA performance.

A little rat never hurt anybody.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah Taylor is not too far into her career, still plenty of time for her to add more post season success.

Reaction Score
You forgot to mention Neighbors. He did make a FF and he should by your logic should be running roughshod in the SEC

Neighbors is most definitely an above average middle tier coach for a conference if that's where it comes down.

Taylor too, and honestly we know there is lots of upside at UGA if you can sell it.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Plum (and Osahor to a lesser degree) made him look better than he actually was at UW. But if you want to drag him into it, one Final 4 and a Sweet 16 in 8 years as a HC is certainly well beyond Harper's accomplishments.

Reaction Score
I think Plum (and Osahor to a lesser degree) made him look better than he actually was at UW. But if you want to drag him into it, one Final 4 and a Sweet 16 in 8 years as a HC is certainly well beyond Harper's accomplishments.
Carolyn Peck won an NCAA title which is more than Harper, Taylor, and any coach in the PAC 12 other Tara has done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom