November non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

November non-UConn recruiting thread

Reaction Score
If I were Paris Clark (and Elena Buenavida), two early commits to UCLA, after seeing the class grow behind me, particularly with the addition of Kiki Rice (and the apparent decommit of 2021 fellow Spaniard Marta Morales for Buenavida), I might be interested in exploring my options until the late signing period. A 7 player class is a lot of bodies to fight through. Also, there are current players who could opt to continue for an additional year after having sat out 2020... there aren't enough scholarship slots to support all of the former commits and all potential returners. I don't know how that plays out, but it certainly will be an issue impacting several schools and many members of the class of 2022.
Regarding Buenavida, could she also have professional opportunities in Spain that could be more attractive? I know a few players from the Mali U19 squad play for professional teams in Spain. Wondering it that could be an option she hadn't considered until the log jam at UCLA happened.

Reaction Score
If I were Paris Clark (and Elena Buenavida), two early commits to UCLA, after seeing the class grow behind me, particularly with the addition of Kiki Rice (and the apparent decommit of 2021 fellow Spaniard Marta Morales for Buenavida), I might be interested in exploring my options until the late signing period. A 7 player class is a lot of bodies to fight through. Also, there are current players who could opt to continue for an additional year after having sat out 2020... there aren't enough scholarship slots to support all of the former commits and all potential returners. I don't know how that plays out, but it certainly will be an issue impacting several schools and many members of the class of 2022.
Marta Morales reclassified to 2022 and will strengthen her English language skills while playing club basketball in the interim. Will seek a scholarship from another school. I believe UCLA can accomodate all seven 2022 verbal commits.

Reaction Score
Marta Morales reclassified to 2022 and will strengthen her English language skills while playing club basketball in the interim. Will seek a scholarship from another school. I believe UCLA can accomodate all seven 2022 verbal commits.
UCLA can accommodate all seven commits only if someone doesn't take advantage of the extra year available to players on the roster during 2020, I believe. Both Kayla Owens and Kiara Jefferson actually sat out in 20-21, and it is possible that someone else could opt to use that extra year of eligibility as well (like one or more of the 3 graduate transfers on the roster this year). I have no idea when players/schools have to declare whether a player will use that extra year. I also don't know if the school gets to expand its roster to allow for more scholarship players, or whether a player gets to take their extra year somewhere else. So... I am in the dark on a lot of this, but I think it may end up being an issue.

Reaction Score
I watched the Vandy/ TN Tech game tonight and I'm so happy for Shea (and Kevin! ;)) She's got some good talent and with the right pieces they could make some noise in a few years. I know Ashlynn Shade is a UCONN target but I would love for her to be a part of something special down in Nashville!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
UCLA can accommodate all seven commits only if someone doesn't take advantage of the extra year available to players on the roster during 2020, I believe. Both Kayla Owens and Kiara Jefferson actually sat out in 20-21, and it is possible that someone else could opt to use that extra year of eligibility as well (like one or more of the 3 graduate transfers on the roster this year). I have no idea when players/schools have to declare whether a player will use that extra year. I also don't know if the school gets to expand its roster to allow for more scholarship players, or whether a player gets to take their extra year somewhere else. So... I am in the dark on a lot of this, but I think it may end up being an issue.
Brynn Masikewich is another player that may or may not have an extra year. She didn't play because she was rehabbing but I don't know if she was given a red shirt designation.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Greedy Birches.
No one who cheers for South Carolina has any right to complain. Remind me how many top 5 recruits y'all welcomed as frosh this fall... ;)

But yes, a pleasant surprise! And between her and Nivar, we're suddenly flush with shorter guards and wings to replace Williams, the Hulls, and Wilson.

Reaction Score
Brynn Masikewich is another player that may or may not have an extra year. She didn't play because she was rehabbing but I don't know if she was given a red shirt designation.
Masikewich never came to campus last year while rehabbing an injury and has both a medical redshirt option for last year or the 2020 extra year. However, her freshman year she was also injured and could be taking the medical redshirt for that year. She was never said to be "opting out" for 20-21. For that matter, she hasn't suited up this year, yet. No idea how that will ultimately shake out.

Reaction Score
Masikewich never came to campus last year while rehabbing an injury and has both a medical redshirt option for last year or the 2020 extra year. However, her freshman year she was also injured and could be taking the medical redshirt for that year. She was never said to be "opting out" for 20-21. For that matter, she hasn't suited up this year, yet. No idea how that will ultimately shake out.
Yikes. I suspected something still wasn't right. Appreciate the update.

Reaction Score
1. NCAA allows teams to exceed the usual 15 scholarship limit this season only.

2. UCLA’s three grad transfers and grad Nat Chou will exhaust their eligibility after this season having played four full seasons PLUS the shortened 2020-21 season. The only possible wrinkle is if one or more grad transfers suffers a season ending injury before the tenth game this season. Under those circumstances the grad transfer could conceivably request a medical redshirt (e.g. if grad Gina Conti can’t play this year). Not certain how the NCAA would adjudicate such a request. UCLA would also have to agree to having the grad transfer return In 2022-23. If UCLA doesn’t have an available scholarship it could decline the player’s request. I believe Stanford faced a similar situation in 2020-21 when both Anna Wilson and Dijonai Carrington could have returned after missing the prior season. Stanford only has one scholarship available. Carrington transferred to Baylor and Wilson returned to Stanford.

3. I’ve been told neither Owens nor Jefferson will return next year. Of course they could change their minds but the staff seems to be proceeding under the assumption they don’t return.

4. During a pre recorded halftime interview broadcast yesterday Coach Close said the Bruins have a sixth 2022 commit who hasn’t yet signed an NLI and may have a seventh join next year. Because this sixth commit didn’t sign the NLI during the early signing period the school cannot discuss it.

Reaction Score
1. NCAA allows teams to exceed the usual 15 scholarship limit this season only.

2. UCLA’s three grad transfers and grad Nat Chou will exhaust their eligibility after this season having played four full seasons PLUS the shortened 2020-21 season. The only possible wrinkle is if one or more grad transfers suffers a season ending injury before the tenth game this season. Under those circumstances the grad transfer could conceivably request a medical redshirt (e.g. if grad Gina Conti can’t play this year). Not certain how the NCAA would adjudicate such a request. UCLA would also have to agree to having the grad transfer return In 2022-23. If UCLA doesn’t have an available scholarship it could decline the player’s request. I believe Stanford faced a similar situation in 2020-21 when both Anna Wilson and Dijonai Carrington could have returned after missing the prior season. Stanford only has one scholarship available. Carrington transferred to Baylor and Wilson returned to Stanford.

3. I’ve been told neither Owens nor Jefferson will return next year. Of course they could change their minds but the staff seems to be proceeding under the assumption they don’t return.

4. During a pre recorded halftime interview broadcast yesterday Coach Close said the Bruins have a sixth 2022 commit who hasn’t yet signed an NLI and may have a seventh join next year. Because this sixth commit didn’t sign the NLI during the early signing period the school cannot discuss it.
Thanks for that info. The obvious 6th commit is Elena Buenavida. And, of course, Paris Clark could decide to come to UCLA. With the number of injuries that UCLA has been struck by, I would think that there is a high probability that the staff would want to fill out the roster to the maximum extent possible.

Reaction Score
NCAA rules stipulate an athlete can receive a medical redshirt if the athlete participates in fewer than 30% of scheduled contests and the season ending injury occurs before a season’s halfway mark. Though Masikewich played in only 7 games in her frosh season (out of 29 regular season games) she last appeared in the Bruins 20th regular season game against Arizona in Jan 2020. So without an NCAA waiver she does not qualify for a medical redshirt for year one.

Brynn has three years of eligibility starting this season. The staff expects to have her available later this season. With the unrelenting injuries affecting the team the Bruins could really use Brynn on the court.

Reaction Score
NCAA rules stipulate an athlete can receive a medical redshirt if the athlete participates in fewer than 30% of scheduled contests and the season ending injury occurs before a season’s halfway mark. Though Masikewich played in only 7 games in her frosh season (out of 29 regular season games) she last appeared in the Bruins 20th regular season game against Arizona in Jan 2020. So without an NCAA waiver she does not qualify for a medical redshirt for year one.

Brynn has three years of eligibility starting this season. The staff expects to have her available later this season. With the unrelenting injuries affecting the team the Bruins could really use Brynn on the court.
I agree. It's been a rough start to her collegiate career. Hoping things are on the upswing for her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Maybe Niele is just feeling especially religious this Sunday but she posted a similar message of gratitude last Sunday and then Risch announced her commitment that evening.

I'm thinking thanking God for her blessings is Niele's version of the Dawn Staley bird emoji.

Reaction Score
I think so too. This has to be about KK Arnold. I’ve watched film on her. Boy, she’s quick.

Reaction Score

Maybe Niele is just feeling especially religious this Sunday but she posted a similar message of gratitude last Sunday and then Risch announced her commitment that evening.

I'm thinking thanking God for her blessings is Niele's version of the Dawn Staley bird emoji.

With more 23 starting to commit, if not Arnold, could this be Shade? Didn’t she recently visit ND?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom