Nova wins BE claims 32 year drought broken | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nova wins BE claims 32 year drought broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We'll it works for me in my lifetime. I can't help you have a narrow point of view based on limited experience.

Reaction Score

got to love jim boogers crying ' today the best team did not win' bs then throws a chair as he walks out. lol

Reaction Score
Just think how good you would feel if Napier won the Oscar Robertson award. ;-)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We'll it works for me in my lifetime. I can't help you have a narrow point of view based on limited experience.
If experience means being older than I am, you have can have all you want.

Jim Calhoun said that National Championships weren't the only measure of a program's success for a long time, trying to convince himself and us of the same. We never believed it and neither did he. And then we won one. And another. And another. And throw in another FF for good measure. All in my lifetime.

I admit it, I am spoiled. That is more than I ever thought we'd accomplish when I first started following UConn hoops in the early 80s. But you have to understand that you don't ever set your sights backwards once you experience it.

Reaction Score
Some people win the Oscar. Some people are Oscar. And Cincy claims him. ;-)

Reaction Score
Listen, I'm not discrediting UConns success. It's certain UConn fans in here that are doing that to Cincy fans.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
50 years ago? Every Cincy game the best college hoops player ever sits court side. Ask the Big O if 5 straight Final Fours, 3 straight Finals, and back to back titles beating AP # 1 in the Finals is significant.

At a time when the only way to get in the Tourney was to actually win your conference.

Are you claiming that the titles weren't 50 years ago?

Oscar was one hell of a player and it is nice that the Bearcats won a couple of titles back then but to add reality to the picture, Loyola Chicago and Texas Western (now UTEP) each won a title after Cincy last cut down the nets.

You have a decent program and God knows we need as many AAC schools as possible making consistent runs at the top ten but you are nuts if you think that your recent success is anything close to ours. Over the past quarter century your school is quite similar to Temple (another conference member that we need to step it up) but from ~ 1965 to ~ 1990 I don't recall much success coming from your basketball program.

Reaction Score
If college hoops success should be limited to an arbitrary historical timeline with only the most recent being significant, why don't we just stick to this year then?

;-)

Anyway been fun. Hope you learned some things. Now go beat the shirt out of Louisville.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
Bilas is dead on with these comments. It amuses me when I see coaches from other conferences diminishing the value of conference tournaments, and in some cases, pushing to get rid of them. The Big East tournament trumped every other conference tournament by such a considerable degree that it wasn't even worth talking about the other ones. Part of it may be the UConn fan in me, but even in the year 2014, I can vividly recall moments from 5, 10, 15 years go. There's no denying the fact that Madison Square Garden made the tournament special - even fans of other conferences admitted it. Does anybody ever reminisce over something that happened in the ACC or SEC Tournament? Not unless something extraordinary happened. The Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights of the Big East Tournament were three of the true jewels on the sports calender every year.

The only ACC tourney that I remember is the one where Randolph Childress won it in OT by himself for Wake many years ago. That was special.

Reaction Score
Btw...regarding UTEP and Loyola, didn't UConn beat Butler for their last one? Works both ways.

Reaction Score
Listen, I'm not discrediting UConns success. It's certain UConn fans in here that are doing that to Cincy fans.

Like someone said before this thread had nothing to do with Cincy why are you here trying to push Cincy's succes from prior them joining the the big east on us? No need to get offended if we didnt mention you guys the truth is we had nor have any rivalry with you guys,in the BE your rival was ville and marquete ours was cuse, georgetown and pitt. soooo you see why you didnt get mentioned?

Reaction Score
Btw...regarding UTEP and Loyola, didn't UConn beat Butler for their last one? Works both ways.

Your argument that Cincinnati is in a comparable category with UConn men's basketball-wise is very compelling to an audience of people who died sometime between JFK getting shot and the end of Ronald Reagan's second term. Now, I'll grant that you're talking about a whole lot of people, but the most important thing to to keep in mind about those people is that they, unlike the posters on this message board, are dead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im not dead yet. And neither is Oscar. And I was never offended. Just trying to bring a little insight to a board who has several posters who seem lost as they're no longer in the Big East.

And talk all you want about UConn's significant accomplishments (as they were) the past decade and a half. As Patton said...All glory is fleeting. But the accomplisment is no less significant.

So when you consider the great success UConn has had. Their best run likely being the one 15 years ago now. Consider Cincinnati won 11 straight Tourney games from 1961- 1963 on their way to two National Titles and then an overtime loss for their third. And they didn't beat the Bucknels and Texas San Antonios to get there. They won conference titles in what was historically one of the most difficult conferences to get there. Once having to beat the Ap #4 team in a conference title playoff just to get the chance. And against a line up of this...

#12 Texas
# 8 Colorado
#14 Oregon St

Creighton (unranked)
# 8 Colorado
#17 UCLA
# 1 Ohio St

#12 Texas Tech
# 4 Kansas St
#11 Utah
# 1 Ohio State

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Now that we're in CUSA 3.0 and Cincy is sharing 1st place, their two internet fans are all over our board. Where were you guys the last ten years?

Winning two games to make the Final Four was quite the accomplishment.

Reaction Score
And before the cat calls about the strength of the Missouri Valley Conference start. Here's what the top of the MVC looked like during Cincy's run of Final Fours.

1958 - #2 UC
1959 - #4 Bradley and #5 UC
1960 - #1 UC & #4 BU
1961 - #2 UC & #6 BU
1962 - #2 UC & #5 BU
1963 - #1 UC & #5 Wichita State

Reaction Score
Notice #4 Bradley missed the Tourney in 1959. Cincy went in their stead. As did all those other Top 5 teams.

Reaction Score
I found this board as it was referenced on a Cincy fan site and found it interesting. But that's cool. I'm fine with leaving, and leaving you all to your grandious self absorbed group think.

Reaction Score
I tried to keep it informative. But I guess I should have expected this. Most fans sites are probably the same. Not the case where I generally attend though. Before I go, my last point to all the detractors. Even with the 5 lost years Cincy had rebuilding again in the Big East and all of UConn's recent successes. Cincy has still spent 386 weeks "all time" ranked in the AP Top 25 versus 333 weeks for UConn. So for those smug fans in here who think UConn is the cream of this new conference...consider

UConn is still 3.5 full seasons behind Cincy in the All Time poll. And by the looks of this season...it doesn't appear you'll be making much headway on that in the future.

Good luck in your new conference....

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't think ranked teams (polls) should be the basis of whether you beat a good team or not, or whether you are a good team or not. RPI is a better metric. I mean, c'mon. SMU is ranked in the top 25 and they are top 44 in RPI. Massachusetts has a better resume and way better RPI and they are not ranked. So why even consider Poll rankings as methodology for who play harder or better teams. In Villanova's case they have a 5-3 record against the Top 50 RPI and 9-0 against teams between 50-101.
I went back and found it, it was on Grantland's power rankings. This is Nova including some RPI records:

2nd-best win all seasonvs. no. 32 in current RPI (neutral court)
3rd-best win all seasonat no. 37 in current RPI
Best win since January 1vs. no. 43 in current RPI
Record vs. RPI Top 251-3
Record vs. ranked teams2-3
Record in last 3 games vs. ranked teams0-3

First best win was vs. Kansas in November, but since then what? I'm not saying it's a bubble team, but hardly remarkable even though the record only shows 3 losses.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I tried to keep it informative. But I guess I should have expected this. Most fans sites are probably the same. Not the case where I generally attend though. Before I go, my last point to all the detractors. Even with the 5 lost years Cincy had rebuilding again in the Big East and all of UConn's recent successes. Cincy has still spent 386 weeks "all time" ranked in the AP Top 25 versus 333 weeks for UConn. So for those smug fans in here who think UConn is the cream of this new conference...consider

UConn is still 3.5 full seasons behind Cincy in the All Time poll. And by the looks of this season...it doesn't appear you'll be making much headway on that in the future.

Good luck in your new conference....

Be honest with yourself.

This isn't the 1960's. Cincinnati has not kept pace.

It's not an elite program - hell, it's not even in the second tier anymore.

Until they win more, you should talk less.

Reaction Score
Well don't look now...but Cincy has been better than UConn 3 years running. And UConn is barely half way up their new mid major conference standings...out of range of even getting a good sniff of Cincy's arse. What "tier" does that make UConn?

Keep telling yourself UConn is elite. This is the only friendly audience you'll find for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well don't look now...but Cincy has been better than UConn 3 years running. And UConn is barely half way up their new mid major conference standings...out of range of even getting a good sniff of Cincy's arse. What "tier" does that make UConn?

Keep telling yourself UConn is elite. This is the only friendly audience you'll find for it.

Can't we get some San Francisco Dons talk going? Back to back championships and three straight final fours in the mid-50s! Clearly a top tier program.

You sound silly. Although I guess you have that final four from 20 years ago to hang your hat on.

Reaction Score
We got one other thing. The only conference title either program has had since sharing conferences. Of course were only talking hoops here. We can share conference CFB successes if you'd like to head to the football thread.

And that's the one thing threatening UConn with being left behind in here alone with Memphis. ;-)

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

We have players on our roster, right now, who have won a national championship.
But please, tell us more about that time your team beat Fab Melo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom