Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Reaction Score
I have not seen any update and I doubt there will be one based how other injuries were treated this year and how Miles injury was treated last year.
Thanks! Makes sense. Especially prior to selection Sunday. I believe the committee takes injuries into consideration for seeding. Probably why there hasn’t been a Kitley update either.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not at all a surprise if you (2nd person plural usage intended) saw it, but Kylee Watson announced that
she suffered a torn ACL against Va. Tech and will be out for the rest of the season (and probably a lot more).

Yes, if you look at the time code, it's marked at 8:22 pm., which is after ND was announced as a #2 seed. I'm not sure Watson's injury status would've made a differrence, but it seems to be the way to announce/not announce now (see Kitley, Elizabeth this year and Miles, Olivia last year).

Reaction Score
Not at all a surprise if you (2nd person plural usage intended) saw it, but Kylee Watson announced that
she suffered a torn ACL against Va. Tech and will be out for the rest of the season (and probably a lot more).

Yes, if you look at the time code, it's marked at 8:22 pm., which is after ND was announced as a #2 seed. I'm not sure Watson's injury status would've made a differren ce, but it seems to be the way to announce/not announce now (see Kitley, Elizabeth this year and Miles, Olivia last year).

During the questions injuries were mentioned and the committee person said something like they saw how ND played after the injury (defeated NC State)and how Virginia Tech did (defeated Miami and lost to ND). The () are mine. So maybe they consider injuries in placement but it didn't matter in ND'S case since they are a #2.

Did Kitley announce anything?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
During the questions injuries were mentioned and the committee person said something like they saw how ND played after the injury (defeated NC State)and how Virginia Tech did (defeated Miami and lost to ND). The () are mine. So maybe they consider injuries in placement but it didn't matter in ND'S case since they are a #2.

Did Kitley announce anything?
I have not seen/heard anything on Kitley or Molly Davis of Iowa.

Kitley's situation is pretty much the equivalent of Olivia Miles last year. With all due respect to Kylee, who does so many things that do not show up in box scores, Kitley is one of the two major pieces of Va. Tech.

Plus, ND has Nat Marshall. Hopefully Becky Obinma will be out of concussion protocol by the weekend.

Reaction Score
I have not seen/heard anything on Kitley or Molly Davis of Iowa.

Kitley's situation is pretty much the equivalent of Olivia Miles last year. With all due respect to Kylee, who does so many things that do not show up in box scores, Kitley is one of the two major pieces of Va. Tech.

Plus, ND has Nat Marshall. Hopefully Becky Obinma will be out of concussion protocol by the weekend.
Saw a video clip on Twitter last night where Coach Brooks was asked about the injury. To summarize, she did individual training and didn't practice. Had she been needed to help them qualify, they would have tried to ramp up the game plan to see if she could get back on the court. Comes across as he's still hedging on whether she's able to play.

Reaction Score
Saw a video clip on Twitter last night where Coach Brooks was asked about the injury. To summarize, she did individual training and didn't practice. Had she been needed to help them qualify, they would have tried to ramp up the game plan to see if she could get back on the court. Comes across as he's still hedging on whether she's able to play.
I am surprised but if the injury won't get worse by play then more power to her.

Reaction Score
I am surprised but if the injury won't get worse by play then more power to her.
I hear you. Had a similar thought along with is it worth the risk, as the draft is not long after the tournament.

Reaction Score
One of the avid ND fans can probably answer this better than me but I have watched a couple of their last few games, as they were on ESPN. ND have looked dialed in with great defensive game plans. Maybe Coach Ivey’s strong point?

They also usually have one back breaking quarter or run where they make the opponent completely lose their composure.

Hidalgo is the superstar but Citron has also been quietly playing very well over this whole stretch. Her knee injury seems to fortunately be in the rear view mirror and she has been contributing a lot to the scoring load using a variety of offensive maneuvers - tough drives to the hoop, timely cuts, mid-range jumpers.

She and Westbeld both have an impressively versatile offensive game. Hidalgo is great but she’s not carrying the team alone, she is getting a lot of help from those two on offense, and the whole team is playing good defense.
Was so happy to see Citron receive All Conference recognition - her quiet excellence sometimes goes unnoticed. Fabulous player. A more talented version of IA’s Martin, who does a little bit of everything and is never without poise.

Reaction Score
Was so happy to see Citron receive All Conference recognition - her quiet excellence sometimes goes unnoticed. Fabulous player. A more talented version of IA’s Martin, who does a little bit of everything and is never without poise.
She is a great player. The fact that she has been able to bounce back to playing at that level should not be taken for granted. Her injury might not have been as bad as it looked at first but spraining a knee and missing 7 weeks during the season is a significant setback to have to work back from. It’s great to see her return to form recently.

Agree Martin is similar. She doesn’t get enough credit for being Clark’s “sidekick”. I saw the Big 10 Championship game and while Clark had over 30 points, it was Martin’s clutch 3s and Gabbie Marshall’s 2 huge perimeter blocks that really felt like they sealed the game for Iowa. But now I’m off topic. My point is I appreciate these type of glue players.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She is a great player. The fact that she has been able to bounce back to playing at that level should not be taken for granted. Her injury might not have been as bad as it looked at first but spraining a knee and missing 7 weeks during the season is a significant setback to have to work back from. It’s great to see her return to form recently.

Agree Martin is similar. She doesn’t get enough credit for being Clark’s “sidekick”. I saw the Big 10 Championship game and while Clark had over 30 points, it was Martin’s clutch 3s and Gabbie Marshall’s 2 huge perimeter blocks that really felt like they sealed the game for Iowa. But now I’m off topic. My point is I appreciate these type of glue players.
I thought Caroline Ducharme was playing a similar role to Martin (Iowa) and Citron (ND) for UConn. She had a knack for being where the ball was and could quickly get her shot off. I'm hoping -- first and foremost -- that she's able to be healthy and free to do day-to-day activities. If she can get back to hoops, great.

Kate Martin kind of has an apprentice in Sydney Affolter, who comes off the bench to supply some grit, hustle and timely shot-making.

Reaction Score
I thought Caroline Ducharme was playing a similar role to Martin (Iowa) and Citron (ND) for UConn. She had a knack for being where the ball was and could quickly get her shot off. I'm hoping -- first and foremost -- that she's able to be healthy and free to do day-to-day activities. If she can get back to hoops, great.

Kate Martin kind of has an apprentice in Sydney Affolter, who comes off the bench to supply some grit, hustle and timely shot-making.
Caroline absolutely had that gift, she is a really high IQ, fundamentally sound player. She could even take over games. If the concussions never happened I’m sure she would currently be looking every bit of the top 5 recruit she was meant to be.

I used to hope she would eventually be able to come back to contribute to the team, but as of this season, I’m just hoping she can return to being healthy to a point where she can live pain and symptom-free day to day and pursue whatever it is that she’s aiming for, basketball or otherwise. Even if she has to medically retire. I’m not sure if that’s too pessimistic for the main UConn board, but I think a lot of people are on the same page feeling that way.

The 2021 class has had absolutely terrible injury luck with Azzi, Miles, Harmon, Raven Johnson, Teonni Key, Aaliyah Moore all in the top 10 tearing their ACLs and then there’s Caroline. Really a shame, although at least Johnson and Moore have been able to make a successful comeback and hoping the rest can continue to heal and come back strong as well.

Reaction Score
Caroline absolutely had that gift, she is a really high IQ, fundamentally sound player. She could even take over games. If the concussions never happened I’m sure she would currently be looking every bit of the top 5 recruit she was meant to be.

I used to hope she would eventually be able to come back to contribute to the team, but as of this season, I’m just hoping she can return to being healthy to a point where she can live pain and symptom-free day to day and pursue whatever it is that she’s aiming for, basketball or otherwise. Even if she has to medically retire. I’m not sure if that’s too pessimistic for the main UConn board, but I think a lot of people are on the same page feeling that way.

The 2021 class has had absolutely terrible injury luck with Azzi, Miles, Harmon, Raven Johnson, Teonni Key, Aaliyah Moore all in the top 10 tearing their ACLs and then there’s Caroline. Really a shame, although at least Johnson and Moore have been able to make a successful comeback and hoping the rest can continue to heal and come back strong as well.
Man ....that list of 2021 players who all suffered an ACL is something. Scary part that's it's a small sample size for that class and there's likely more who have suffered that injury.

Reaction Score
It was an uneven win against an undermanned Kent State team, but survive and move forward to Monday against Mississippi.

This game was refereed a lot like Pittsburgh, where one referee in particular called lots of ticky tack fouls and got ND into the kind of foul trouble it can’t afford. Nielle was visibly upset with how he was taking over the game. The next game was refereed completely different and it is awful to think how one referee can dictate the game instead of the players. We can only hope we get refs that let us play, because as we advance losing Maddy or Sonia or HH for long stretches will doom us.

Kent got a lot of points in the paint, where we are really vulnerable. It is our Achilles heel. Maddy uncharacteristicly struggled with her shot, which is probably rust. I expect her to be back in form Monday.

Sonia is so multidimensional, knocking down 3 pointers and getting layups after great assists by HH.

The arena was packed and you could see the smiles on the players faces when they were introduced. I’m disappointed the game is at 2 Monday when lots of people have to work, but the women have an older fan base. So, hopefully it’s a sellout and the students turn out as well as they did against. Kent.

Mississippi has an athletic and deep roster. We have the home court advantage and are a better passing and shooting team. This is going to be a good game. Let’s hope the referee crew lets both teams play. If the game is refereed like Kent, Mississippi with its depth has the advantage.

As an aside: I saw Kylee Watkins walking and you couldn’t tell by her walk if she was even injured. She didn’t have that awkward heavy brace walk that players have.

Olivia Miles came up int the stands and was giving autographs and taking photos with fans. She looks fully recovered and happy.

Likewise, Cassandre Prosper who looks almost as tall as Nat Marshall, was also smiling and walking normally. She is tall and looks physically strong. Seeing what role she’ll play next year will be interesting. Nielle gave her the green light to do anything she wanted as a Frosh, but unless her outside shot dramatically improves, she could help us much mor banging inside getting offensive rebound putbacks and defensive rebounds. Her development is going to be interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ducharme is more of a Gabby Marshall type - quiet scorer. Though she does have the Team Mom role, which I think Martin shoulders also.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Ducharme is more of a Gabby Marshall type - quiet scorer. Though she does have the Team Mom role, which I think Martin shoulders also.
Hmm. The reason I brought up Ducharme with Martin and Citron is her size....she's 6'2" and Citron is 6'1". They do damage at multiple levels. While Ducharme and Marshall may be "quiet" or "under the radar," Marshall is only 5'9" tall and rarely ventures inside. When Ducharme was playing full out, she had the ability to score in multiple areas. Maybe not quite as versatile as Martin or, especially, Citron,...but a force.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Jumps Out to 17-Pt. Halftime Lead Enroute to 71-56 Win Over Ole Miss;
Sweet 16 Match-Up with Oregon State Next at 2:30 p.m. on Friday.

ND's major weapon this time around was:
  • It's zone, which helped Ole Miss commit 11 turnovers in the first half (game average is 15). Ole Miss is used to taking teams off the dribble and they'd just run into someone in ND's 2-3 zone.
  • ND did a reasonable job of getting the best shots for their respective players: Westbeld led the Irish with 20 on 8-13 shooting. Hannah HIdalgo scored 19 and had 4 assists, rebounds and steals.
  • Sonia Citron had 17 and went 6-6 from the line. She also led Irish with 10 rebounds and 6 assists.
  • Interestingly, Center Nat Marshall had 5 assists, so the inside-back-out game was working.

Many on "The Bench" felt Ole Miss was a bigger, stronger version of Louisville, whom the Irish played three times at the end of the season, so they were ready for the frenetic pace. The big difference is Ole Miss isn't an outside shooting team and that played into the Irish Zone.

Good win for Coach Niele Ivey and charges. Onto Albany!

Reaction Score
I am super proud of the Irish and how they are playing. From not being included in either of the top 16 reveals to earning a 2 seed. ND really turned a corner after the NC State loss. Their offense started added more looks. I think Citron getting healthy and cutting like her usual self really helped. Their defense has looked better as well. It really stinks we got placed in South Carolinas bracket. I think we could compete against any of the other 1 seeds.
Excited to see if we can get one step closer and go to the elite 8. ND and Oregon St are my two favorite teams, so I'm excited for this game. I really wanted Gardiner to ND, and honestly I always imagine ND having Beers as their 5! (Can't wait for next year)
They played so good yesterday.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I am super proud of the Irish and how they are playing. From not being included in either of the top 16 reveals to earning a 2 seed. ND really turned a corner after the NC State loss. Their offense started added more looks. I think Citron getting healthy and cutting like her usual self really helped. Their defense has looked better as well. It really stinks we got placed in South Carolinas bracket. I think we could compete against any of the other 1 seeds.
Excited to see if we can get one step closer and go to the elite 8. ND are Oregona St and my two favorite teams, so I'm excited for this game. I really wanted Gardiner to ND, and honestly I always imagine ND having Beers as their 5! (Can't wait for next year)
They played so good yesterday.
Like you, I'm very proud of the Irish -- players and staff -- for continuing to persevere and even get better. A few quick hits:

- The Irish getting on a roll might've placed them in the predicament of drawing S. Carolina. They're probably the "last" two seed, but who knows where they might've gone as a three seed? Besides, at some point you've got to play the best. At this juncture, let's play the next "best" team: Oregon State.

- Kudos to Nat Marshall for stepping into the Kylee Watson center role. While not as physical as Kylee, she's quicker and is learning to use her height to collapse on help-side defense. She was absolutely stellar in ND's aggressive zone against Ole Miss. Marshall's always had the pedigree: now, injury-free after years, she's gaining extensive playing time and you can see the confidence and gears getting stronger, smoother.

- The beauty of having three exceptional players is each of them can take lead in various facets of the game.

Against Kent State, Westbeld couldn't buy a basket and Citron was stellar with 29 points. Yesterday, Westbeld was hot, while Citron led the team in rebounds and assists, while still scoring 17.

- And Hidalgo just keeps pushing and influencing so many facets of the game....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like you, I'm very proud of the Irish -- players and staff -- for continuing to persevere and even get better. A few quick hits:

- The Irish getting on a roll might've placed them in the predicament of drawing S. Carolina. They're probably the "last" two seed, but who knows where they might've gone as a three seed? Besides, at some point you've got to play the best. At this juncture, let's play the next "best" team: Oregon State.

- Kudos to Nat Marshall for stepping into the Kylee Watson center role. While not as physical as Kylee, she's quicker and is learning to user her height to collapse on help-side defense. She was absolutely stellar in ND's aggressive zone against Ole Miss. Marshall's always had the pedigree: now, injure-free after years, she's gaining extensive playing time and you can see the confidence and gears getting stronger, smoother.

- The beauty of having three exceptional players is each of them can take lead in various facets of the game.
Against Kent State, Westbeld couldn't buy a basket and Citron was stellar with 29 points. Yesterday, Westbeld was hot, while Citron led the team in rebounds and assists, while still scoring 17.

- And Hidalgo just keeps pushing and influencing so many facets of the game....
I agree our zone was stellar against Ole Miss. It was suffocatingly quick against a quick team. With a 6-7 player rotation, I will be surprised if we play anything else.

Maddy played like a 1st team All American the 1st half. Just an amazing performance. Sonia was uncharacteristically a bit sloppy with the ball. I don’t know if it was a loss of focus or Ole Miss’s ball pressure. Hannah is just relentless. She is the engine sparking this team. Nat is playing well and her quickness is her best asset. She’s also protecting the ball well in the passing game offensively. Anna has shot well and hustles in the zone. We’re gonna need KK to hit those 5 foot jump shots, but she brings a physicality defensively that helps underneath despite her relatively short stature.

I expect us to win Friday. Then, beating SC will be a monumental task, the only way being Maddy, Sonia and HH all playing their A game all game long.

The way we’re playing, we’d be an easier Final 4 team in any other region, but SC is a beast this year. Next year we’ll be much better positioned to knock them off their perch. I couldn’t be happier with how this team is playing Nielle has done a great job.

Reaction Score
How do you all think Notre Dame will handle all of that height from Oregon State? Aren't they the tallest team in the tournament? It seems like everyone on Oregon States team is 6' or taller...even the guards. This could be the game where the loss of Watson becomes mightily apparent. Also, Beers is very thick and I can't see anyone on Notre Dame's team being able to displace her or push her away from under the basket once she gets position.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
How do you all think Notre Dame will handle all of that height from Oregon State? Aren't they the tallest team in the tournament? It seems like everyone on Oregon States team is 6' or taller...even the guards. This could be the game where the loss of Watson becomes mightily apparent. Also, Beers is very thick and I can't see anyone on Notre Dame's team being able to displace her or push her away from under the basket once she gets position.
As long as I can recall Scott Rueck-coached teams, he's always had very tall, solidly-built post players, surrounded by pretty tall guards that shoot the three. This team really is no different save for, imo, Timea Gardiner being able to shoot from outside. If she's hot, that's an issue. However, if she's not, keeps her away from the boards.

A few answers for you:

• Nat Marshall is just as tall/taller than Kylee Watson at 6'5". Whereas Watson is quite strong, Marshall is quick, which came in handy against Ole Miss.
  • Yes, Beers is a solid presence, but the Irish have played against a solid post in River Baldwin, who had one good half against the Irish. I think you'll see the Irish go zone against Oregon State and try to disrupt the guards movement and passing.
  • While OSU is tall, they're not overly quick: that was the Irish bugaboo this season: keep strong, quick, athletic wings from crashing. While Ole Miss slightly outrebounded the Irish yesterday, ND forced turnovers to make up for it.

Turning it around:

• It's very hard for any team to get used to playing Hannah Hidalgo for the first time. Her speed and relentless intensity is hard to prepare for.
  • That zone is clicking individually and collectively, which is what it needs to do.
  • ND's offense under both MM and now Ivey always manages to get the Irish players the looks they need, which means Westbeld spot-ups and Citron cuts to the basket. It's uncanny.
  • Did I say Hidalgo takes some getting used to? ;)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This was the play that pretty much brought the house down at Purcell Pavilion yesterday. Note in this sequence how all five ND players touched the ball and it was a 6'5" center (Nat Marshall) running full speed who make the kick-out pass to Anna DeWolfe for the three.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As long as I can recall Scott Rueck-coached teams, he's always had very tall, solidly-built post players, surrounded by pretty tall guards that shoot the three. This team really is no different save for, imo, Timea Gardiner being able to shoot from outside. If she's not, that's an issue. However, if she's not, keeps her away from the boards.

A few answers for you:

• Nat Marshall is just as tall/taller than Kylee Watson at 6'5". Whereas Watson is quite strong, Marshall is quick, which came in handy against Ole Miss.
  • Yes, Beers is a solid presence, but the Irish have played against a solid post in River Baldwin, who had one good half against the Irish. I think you'll see the Irish go zone against Oregon State and try to disrupt the guards movement and passing.
  • While OSU is tall, they're not overly quick: that was the Irish bugaboo this season: keep strong, quick, athletic wings from crashing. While Ole Miss slightly outrebounded the Irish yesterday, ND forced turnovers to make up for it.

Turning it around:

• It's very hard for any team to get used to playing Hannah Hidalgo for the first time. Her speed and relentless intensity is hard to prepare for.
  • That zone is clicking individually and collectively, which is what it needs to do.
  • ND's offense under both MM and now Ivey always manages to get the Irish players the looks they need, which means Westbeld spot-ups and Citron cuts to the basket. It's uncanny.
  • Did I say Hidalgo takes some getting used to? ;)
ND plays a very active high zone that will run shooters off the 3 point line and disrupt passing lanes. I've never seen a more active zone up top. At the bottom they swap quickly to interfere with passes to big posts. This was effective on Baldwin.

But I don't expect all zone, they will switch to man, triangle, and zone to keep Oregon State confused and making turnovers. Beers will get some lobs but the backside player will interfere with the catch, and she'll get some offensive rebounds but not many with Westbeld and Marshall there for the short rebounds and Citron and Hidalgo for the longer ones.

On offense Oregon State is very open to pull up jumpers since ND is much faster. If Beers sits on the basket ND can easily shoot over her but Hidalgo will go through her and get and ones. She is too quick and redirects the ball too often. If the refs call the game correctly Beers will foul out.

I expect Marshall to go to the high post to draw Beers out then either lob in to Westbeld or hit cutters who have beaten the bigger guards. Then there will be the 3's from Hidalgo, Citron, Westbeld, and DeWolfe. The OSU guards will have to come out after the 3s and then they will get beat on the dribble. Imo it will be another 15+ point win with ND taking their foot off the gas in the fourth to avoid running it up.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I hope ND plays zone against Oregon State.
I'm pretty sure you'll get your wish:
  • the Irish usually do play zone against Rueck
  • they simply don't have the depth to play man-to-man and risk getting into foul trouble.

Yes, I know there are risks given OSU's ability to shoot the three, but this Irish team is not sitting back and saving energy to outscore you (like the 2018-19 teams, that usually did).
They're into it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom