Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Reaction Score
I wanted to revisit this, because I think ND is doing a better job of hitting back door cuts. HH hit Soni several times last night and Nat also had a great back door pass to Soni for a score.

On a side note, I watched Kenny Brooks press conference and he was disappointed at how the game was called, implying that if another crew was calling the game, MW’s physicality pushing Kitley off the block would have been called a foul.

It’s a shame that this “it depends upon the officiating crew” could determine basketball games. Wbb has got to have consistent rules called consistently.
The Irish offense has looked great, I have also noticed the back door cuts and passing improvements. I noticed it in the Duke game in the 3rd quarter. They have been getting the ball into the high post and letting that player make a decision. Soni's having success cutting and they are finding her. I think her injury may have impacted her ability to cut aggressively.

I also have to give Watson credit. She isn't scoring a lot, but she has been making really nice passes and she is good on defense. She isn't an elite shot blocker, but she is good at rotating and helping.

I think this team plays best when everyone is involved and scoring. I'm glad Hannah isn't have to shoulder so much of the scoring load and is trusting her teammates more. Bransford played big against Duke. Marshall had a few good games too. ND is peaking at a good time. Hopefully they can win more games and host for the tournament.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Irish offense has looked great, I have also noticed the back door cuts and passing improvements. I noticed it in the Duke game in the 3rd quarter. They have been getting the ball into the high post and letting that player make a decision. Soni's having success cutting and they are finding her. I think her injury may have impacted her ability to cut aggressively.

I also have to give Watson credit. She isn't scoring a lot, but she has been making really nice passes and she is good on defense. She isn't an elite shot blocker, but she is good at rotating and helping.

I think this team plays best when everyone is involved and scoring. I'm glad Hannah isn't have to shoulder so much of the scoring load and is trusting her teammates more. Bransford played big against Duke. Marshall had a few good games too. ND is peaking at a good time. Hopefully they can win more games and host for the tournament.
Watson does so many uncredited or unreported things for the Irish. You've noted a number of them, but a few others include stuffing the middle and not allowing the opposition to make clean cuts. And she may be one of the more thorough boxers in the business, allowing guards to swoop in and grab the rebound (Miles and now Hidalgo).

There are more back-door cuts but I'm not laying all of that on Soni's injuries. She could find open space sleepwalking in a crowded dormitory. I think there's been a concerted effort to utilize that play, particularly since so many defenses are "moving up (court)" to smother Hannah.

Louisville has better athletes that Va. Tech so I wonder how they'll deal with a cutting Soni..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watson does so many uncredited or unreported things for the Irish. You've noted a number of them, but a few others include stuffing the middle and not allowing the opposition to make clean cuts. And she may be one of the more thorough boxers in the business, allowing guards to swoop in and grab the rebound (Miles and now Hidalgo).

There are more back-door cuts but I'm not laying all of that on Soni's injuries. She could find open space sleepwalking in a crowded dormitory. I think there's been a concerted effort to utilize that play, particularly since so many defenses are "moving up (court)" to smother Hannah.

Louisville has better athletes that Va. Tech so I wonder how they'll deal with a cutting Soni..
In answer to your question, "Louisville has better athletes that Va. Tech so I wonder how they'll deal with a cutting Soni.."

Citron will end up on the ground from messages sent not to cut back door and as long as she's not bleeding she will continue to cut back door. Imho

Dillon77

Reaction Score
We're #4! We're #4
And the Irish couldn't be happier. After defeating Va. Tech and Louisville in their last two home games, the Irish get the four seed in the ACC Playoffs (and a double bye) and, for now at least, a projected #4 line with Charlie Creme. (Stay tuned on that).

Irish had a blistering 30-10 third quarter in which they shot 85%, let by -- who else -- Hannah Hidalgo and Sonia Citron.
Got an 11-11 double-double by Maddy Westbeld and Kylee Watson played her usual rough-and-tumble game + scored 10 points.

Relax, enjoy the week...after all, they might play Louisville again, who are now the #5 seed.

Reaction Score
After a halftime deficit, where Louisville was getting easy slashing layups and second shots around the rim, I thought “here we go again”.

Then the Irish played a flawless 3rd quarter offensively and adjusted their defense to force Louisville to make outside shots. Louisville had quite a few good looks, but couldn’t hit them. So, credit NI for seeing what wasn’t working and forcing Louisville out of what they do well.

When we get up big it’s so hard for teams to get back in the game, because HH along with Soni are not going to be beaten by any full court press.

If our BIG 3 keep playing this well consistently, we’re going to be a very hard out.

Reaction Score
In answer to your question, "Louisville has better athletes that Va. Tech so I wonder how they'll deal with a cutting Soni.."

Citron will end up on the ground from messages sent not to cut back door and as long as she's not bleeding she will continue to cut back door. Imho
You’re right about that. I have no idea how Lvill gets away with body checking Soni, but she made them pay. She is relentless.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Ivey: Miles Will Return to Irish in 2024-25

Per ND beat writer Anthony Anderson:

"Unsolicited, Notre Dame women's basketball coach Niele Ivey began her availability Wednesday by addressing unsubstantiated rumors that injured All-American point guard Olivia Miles is considering a transfer in light of ACC freshman of the year Hannah Hidalgo’s emergence as an All-American-caliber player at the same position.

“I never want to speak on behalf of my players — that’s really big for me that they have their own voice — (but) I spoke with Liv,” Ivey said. “She gave me permission to say this: She will be back."

Full article below.

Druthers: From an Irish fan's perspective, this is something of a dream season (knock on wood): Olivia Miles back, working with her long-time running-mate Sonia Citron and wunderkind, Hannah Hidalgo in a backcourt, that will also include KK Bransford, Cass Prosper and Emma Risch coming off the bench.

Go Olivia! Go Irish!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

"Unsolicited, Notre Dame women's basketball coach Niele Ivey began her availability Wednesday by addressing unsubstantiated rumors that injured All-American point guard Olivia Miles is considering a transfer in light of ACC freshman of the year Hannah Hidalgo’s emergence as an All-American-caliber player at the same position.

“I never want to speak on behalf of my players — that’s really big for me that they have their own voice — (but) I spoke with Liv,” Ivey said. “She gave me permission to say this: She will be back."

Full article below.

Druthers: From an Irish fan's perspective, this is something of a dream season (knock on wood): Olivia Miles back, working with her long-time running-mate Sonia Citron and wunderkind, Hannah Hidalgo in a backcourt, that will also include KK Bransford, Cass Prosper and Emma Risch coming off the bench.

Go Olivia! Go Irish!

Do you foresee a 3+ guard offense similar to what UConn is doing this year?

Reaction Score

Full article below.

Go Olivia! Go Irish!

There have been transfer rumours about Miles? Would not have guessed it personally.

Reaction Score
ND already Russ a 3 guard offense routinely. Hidalgo, Citron, DeWolfe are starting and play as guards. KK Bransford will come off the bench. A caveat to that is "positionless play" concepts which usually mean defensive matchups. The plus will occur when some players heal. For example Prosper is listed as a guard but can match up to taller players.

Reaction Score
ND beats Louisville 77-68 but the fun part was watching Jeff Walz get a second technical for an expletive filled rant. The game was out of reach when he pulled his attention getting stunt. I think he wanted to get tossed as an excuse. Louisville got a ton of calls in the second half and made a game of it but they did take out some frustration on Hidalgo imo.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Long-Story short: Yes.
As @DallasDomer said, Hidalgo, Citron and DeWolfe/Bransford might be perceived as a three-guard offense, but there are variations to take advantage of their strengths: KK will often set up at the foul line or in the paint, while Citron moves and pokes, looking for openings, both with the ball and without it.

Last year, Miles, Citron and Mabrey were very much a three-guard attack.

The big advantage the Irish bring to this is that Citron is a true 6'1" with long arms and she can score and defend at all levels. She drives well, makes some of the best cuts in hoops and can shoot the three and the pull-up. As noted, she's the perfect running-mate to guards like Miles and Hidalgo. ;).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
There have been transfer rumours about Miles? Would not have guessed it personally.
Not a lot of them, but they seemed to be coming from local (South Bend) sources and Niele was taken off guard when asked about them following the last regular season game against Louisville presser.
Because of that, I think she -- and Miles -- decided to nip it in the bud.

Personally, I never saw anything that would indicate she was going to leave but I'll take the guarantee that she's coming back with a hop in my step, like most Irish fans. :D

Reaction Score
All I’m going to say about this Louisville game is that the referees first called the game allowing the Louisville mug style, which ND matched physically to a big lead. Then, the referee crew did a 180 and called fouls on the slightest of contact. They almost fouled ND’s key players out of the game as they suddenly changed how they called the game. Just a horrible example of lousy, inconsistent refereeing. One can only hope that if we play Louisville in the tournament, we get a referee crew that will calls the game the same the entire game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
All I’m going to say about this Louisville game is that the referees first called the game allowing the Louisville mug style, which ND matched physically to a big lead. Then, the referee crew did a 180 and called fouls on the slightest of contact. They almost fouled ND’s key players out of the game as they suddenly changed how they called the game. Just a horrible example of lousy, inconsistent refereeing. One can only hope that if we play Louisville in the tournament, we get a referee crew that will calls the game the same the entire game.
...and it drove many people over the edge, including Louisville Coach Jeff Walz (In actuality, many things drove Coach Walz nuts (see press conference outtakes on ACC thread). That said, it helped get Citron and Hidalgo to the line often enough that it helped stem the comeback, along with two nifty spin-move drives by each of them.

ND now 2-1 over Louisville and hoped to on the other side of the NCAA bracket. Just an uncomfortable rivalry....

Reaction Score
The ND 82-53 romp over Virginia Tech (without Kitley) may have cost any chances to win the ACC etc. Kylee Watson was having a good game until her left knee went out. She returned to the bench on crutches.

Nat Marshall does have some good games in her and Becky Obinma hasn't played much and may be ill. ND may have to come up with new schemes overnight to give Marshall cover against a big NC State post.

So ND loses a player just before the NCAA tournament again. Seems to be an annual occurrence. Anyone remember the full list?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The ND 82-53 romp over Virginia Tech (without Kitley) may have cost any chances to win the ACC etc. Kylee Watson was having a good game until her left knee went out. She returned to the bench on crutches.

Nat Marshall does have some good games in her and Becky Obinma hasn't played much and may be ill. ND may have to come up with new schemes overnight to give Marshall cover against a big NC State post.

So ND loses a player just before the NCAA tournament again. Seems to be an annual occurrence. Anyone remember the full list?
I feel your pain. UConn just lost Aaliyah Edwards today, the result of a flagrant foul that may have broken her nose.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I feel your pain. UConn just lost Aaliyah Edwards today, the result of a flagrant foul that may have broken her nose.
I saw that on a scroll while posting on The Bench. I hope the best for her, but it seems like she's going to be wearing a mask in the NCAA's just like Maddy did after her concussion. ND and UConn are in a race they didn't want to reduce rosters and provide hurdles to success.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

In the "Nothing But Net" post-interview, Maddy Westbeld commented on how the in-season (KK Bransford, Sonia Citron and Maddy heself) injuries made it tough to develop chemistry, which they just now are getting. It's not just on offense with the "Big Three" (Maddy, Hannah Hidalgo, Soni), but also on defense and Kylee Watson is the anchor of the post defense. Her contributions are often subtle: making it tough for opposition centers to roam free; boxing out; weak-side help. Plus, off court, she's the self-professed "mother hen."

ND's in an immediate bind for tomorrow because Becky Obinma is in concussion protocol.
I expect ND to play a lot of zone tomorrow -- first, to cut down on fouls, but also because you don't want Maddy wasting too much energy pushing and shoving with River Baldwin.

Down the road, I'd expect Coach Ivey to come up with various plans for the first (and second, knock on wood) opponent that will incorporate Nat Marshall and Obinma in man-to-man schemes, as well as that trusty 2-3 zone.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I saw that on a scroll while posting on The Bench. I hope the best for her, but it seems like she's going to be wearing a mask in the NCAA's just like Maddy did after her concussion. ND and UConn are in a race they didn't want to reduce rosters and provide hurdles to success.
Well, Aaliyah did wear a mask just about the entire season last year. Just hoping she’s good to go tomorrow & Monday.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, Aaliyah did wear a mask just about the entire season last year. Just hoping she’s good to go tomorrow & Monday.
That's right...Maybe one day "off" and good to go Monday. Any concussion protocols?

Unfortunately, Kylee Watson's injury looked spookily like Olivia Miles' last year: she landed on her left leg to make a jump cut and out it went. Watson didn't walk out on senior night, which was a sign she was coming back next year to work with/mentor frosh Kate Koval. Now, I fear she'll be rehabbing. Transfer center Becky Obinma is in concussion protocol and won't play tomorrow, so ND is down to 7 players, including a walk-on given a scholarship. And the beat goes on....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's right...Maybe one day "off" and good to go Monday. Any concussion protocols?

Unfortunately, Kylee Watson's injury looked spookily like Olivia Miles' last year: she landed on her left leg to make a jump cut and out it went. Watson didn't walk out on senior night, which was a sign she was coming back next year to work with/mentor frosh Kate Koval. Now, I fear she'll be rehabbing. Transfer center Becky Obinma is in concussion protocol and won't play tomorrow, so ND is down to 7 players, including a walk-on given a scholarship. And the beat goes on....
Don’t know about Aaliyah and concussion protocol. She didn’t look all that good when she returned to the bench. Amari is already in concussion protocol and KK was tripped late in the game, grabbed her leg and had to come out of the game.

So right now, we’re pretty sure we have 6 healthy players, and we’re waiting to hear about KK & Aaliyah…..

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Don’t know about Aaliyah and concussion protocol. She didn’t look all that good when she returned to the bench. Amari is already in concussion protocol and KK was tripped late in the game, grabbed her leg and had to come out of the game.

So right now, we’re pretty sure we have 6 healthy players, and we’re waiting to hear about KK & Aaliyah…..
Have always thought ND and UConn have a lot of similarities, but this injury thing is one I'd rather not have....

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND was led by "The Big Three" of Sonia Citron, Maddy Westbeld and Hannah Hidalgo, like usual, but they had company in double digits today with Anna DeWolfe going for 14 pts and numerous dimes for assists. DeWolfe scored 2,000+ at Fordham and she can get going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom