Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 55 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I hadn't paid much attention to Iowa until the last couple years. Gustafson and Doyle were a lot of fun to watch, along with some of their other veteran players. It seems like they've turned a corner with recruiting.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Outside of a couple years Maryland has dominated the Big Ten. I know Iowa has beaten them 2 out of the last 3 so it will be good to have other teams challenge them regularly. Would also be nice to see Big Ten teams get to the Final Four level too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you stating that Morgan Tuck was a post? LOL. Talk about distorting reality to fit your view. :rolleyes: She posted up opposing wings and guards down low but I never remember her matching up down low against an opposing post, even a mediocre one. But even accepting your list, considering that they all are having outstanding careers in the WNBA I'd say yes, it was a logjam, of talent. Luckily Stokes was satisfied with a bench role and that Stewart was capable of playing more than a post position.
:eek: Morgan Tuck was definitely a post. There is no distortion of reality to prove this just an understanding of what a post player is and what Morgan did while at UCONN. Obviously you lack a firm grasp of both those realities. As A Freshman Player she was ahead of Kiah Stokes in the rotation and was Dolson's backup at center. Hint1: Center is a post position. As a sophomore she was mostly hobbled. As a junior Tuck replaced Kiah Stokes in the starting line up after a few games. Hint 2: Kiah stokes played exclusively in the post while at UCONN. Morgan would remain in the starting line up as a POST tandem with Stewie until graduation. Hint 3: A Team can have more than 1 post player at a time on the floor in case that tandem thing threw you off. Her senior season she ran the gauntlet as a post player battling Coates of SC, Hamblin of Oregon States, Jones of Maryland, Boyette of Texas, McCowan of MSU, Lewis of Kansas Sate, & Shepard of Nebraska. Do you even know what a post player is?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Outside of a couple years Maryland has dominated the Big Ten. I know Iowa has beaten them 2 out of the last 3 so it will be good to have other teams challenge them regularly. Would also be nice to see Big Ten teams get to the Final Four level too.
Actually three out of the past four.

It appears Michigan has picked up the recruiting as well. Maryland isn't the slam dunk to win the Big 10 every year any longer.

Reaction Score
Are you stating that Morgan Tuck was a post? LOL. Talk about distorting reality to fit your view. :rolleyes: She posted up opposing wings and guards down low but I never remember her matching up down low against an opposing post, even a mediocre one. But even accepting your list, considering that they all are having outstanding careers in the WNBA I'd say yes, it was a logjam, of talent. Luckily Stokes was satisfied with a bench role and that Stewart was capable of playing more than a post position.
What? Are you talking her early years? You should watch the 2015 and 2016 years where she was the center since Stewie was mostly PF. I watched her a couple times handle Coates and Wilson of SC for example pretty handily. Watch the tape.

Reaction Score
:eek: Morgan Tuck was definitely a post. There is no distortion of reality to prove this just an understanding of what a post player is and what Morgan did while at UCONN. Obviously you lack a firm grasp of both those realities. As A Freshman Player she was ahead of Kiah Stokes in the rotation and was Dolson's backup at center. Hint1: Center is a post position. As a sophomore she was mostly hobbled. As a junior Tuck replaced Kiah Stokes in the starting line up after a few games. Hint 2: Kiah stokes played exclusively in the post while at UCONN. Morgan would remain in the starting line up as a POST tandem with Stewie until graduation. Hint 3: A Team can have more than 1 post player at a time on the floor in case that tandem thing threw you off. Her senior season she ran the gauntlet as a post player battling Coates of SC, Hamblin of Oregon States, Jones of Maryland, Boyette of Texas, McCowan of MSU, Lewis of Kansas Sate, & Shepard of Nebraska. Do you even know what a post player is?
There's a difference between a post player and a player that can back up or fill in as a post.

Reaction Score
What? Are you talking her early years? You should watch the 2015 and 2016 years where she was the center since Stewie was mostly PF. I watched her a couple times handle Coates and Wilson of SC for example pretty handily. Watch the tape.

My comment was a response to a post that Dolson Stokes Stewart and Tuck were all post players in the year they all played together in the same sense that DeBerry, Betts and Brady are posts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There's a difference between a post player and a player that can back up or fill in as a post.
:eek: Not when that player is Morgan Tuck. BTW Haley Jones just completed her Freshman season at Stanford just incase you were backsliding into one of those moments again. What did you call that one ""Brain flatulence " or something like that?

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Actually three out of the past four.

It appears Michigan has picked up the recruiting as well. Maryland isn't the slam dunk to win the Big 10 every year any longer.
Hopefully a more competitive conference will get teams further in the tournament.

Michigan has recruited well lately, however the big question is what can Kim Barnes Arico do with that talent? She has always recruited well but has always done less with more at Michigan with little player development. Hallie Thome was basically the same player as a senior that she was as an incoming freshmen, same with Katelynn Flaherty and most other Michigan players. Coach Bluder at Iowa is the exact opposite, her players noticeably improve, look at Monika Czinano right now.

Reaction Score
My comment was a response to a post that Dolson Stokes Stewart and Tuck were all post players in the year they all played together in the same sense that DeBerry, Betts and Brady are posts.
Well yes they were. It's UConn so they were all front court players with little difference between the 4 and 5 position. I use to love in 2015 when we would see Stokes, Stewie, and Tuck on the floor together with KML as the 2. Now that's a big line up.

Positionless bball means there is plenty of room for deBerry, Ice, Kiki, and Betts to all play pretty interchangeably if they all were at UConn. It allows a player to be more aggressive on D and not worry too much about foul trouble.

I think UConn is at it's best when they are playing two 4.5s instead of one 4 and one 5 at a time and then another 4.5 to get a big line up to really stifle an opponent for a spell.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It just amazes me how people complain about a short bench and in the next sentence complain about to many players?!!?!?

Like I legitimately don't understand it.

I will always and forever remind people that 6'2 Tamika Williams, 6'2 Asjha Jones, and 6'2 Swin Cash were all in the same class AND all played interchangeably over the course of their career until I believe it was their final year that all 3 started (maybe junior and senior). Williams was the #1 recruit in high school but did have some injuries throughout her career but all 3 played and left their mark on the UCONN program!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It just amazes me how people complain about a short bench and in the next sentence complain about to many players?!!?!? Like I legitimately don't understand it.
I will always and forever remind people that 6'2 Tamika Williams, 6'2 Asjha Jones, and 6'2 Swin Cash were all in the same class AND all played interchangeably over the course of their career until I believe it was their final year that all 3 started (maybe junior and senior). Williams was the #1 recruit in high school but did have some injuries throughout her career but all 3 played and left their mark on the UCONN program!!!
I have more fundamental things I don't understand. Why would UCONN not be interested in the #1 player in the class, who happens to be 6'7", and is interested in UCONN?

Imagine the insanity :
CD: Geno Lauren Betts is on the phone and wants to talk to you.
Geno: Nah, tell her we are good,we got Ice and Amari coming in and I don't want to have a "logjam"
CD: Logjam? Have you bumped your head again?

Reaction Score
Did we ever learn what the teasing 11 days until Christmas message was about regarding Stanford?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Did we ever learn what the teasing 11 days until Christmas message was about regarding Stanford?
Our board says it was about Iriafen and there was mistaken understanding of when she'd make her commitment announcement. I don't have the inside Intel on it, but the folks who do seem to think she's very likely to be commiting to the Cardinal.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Our board says it was about Iriafen and there was mistaken understanding of when she'd make her commitment announcement. I don't have the inside Intel on it, but the folks who do seem to think she's very likely to be commiting to the Cardinal.
Then again, especially with teenagers, nothing is for certain so we don't really know until she commits.

Reaction Score
What type of buzz were you expecting in 3 months at Texas? No summer camps happened; and, no in-person visits happening.

I think I was expecting him to make the top 10 list of Lauren Betts.

I didn't say it was the "end of the world."

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think I was expecting him to make the top 10 list of Lauren Betts.

I didn't say it was the "end of the world."
You also didn't state why you expected it. If she were an in-state (Texas) prospect, I'd have that expectation, too; but, she's from Colorado.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
You also didn't state why you expected it. If she were an in-state (Texas) prospect, I'd have that expectation, too; but, she's from Colorado.

Are you really interested in a detailed explanation or do you maybe want to stop wasting time worrying about this?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Are you really interested in a detailed explanation or do you maybe want to stop wasting time worrying about this?
I'm not worried about anything. I preferred a simple reason, so I will pass on a detailed explanation.

You're the one who stated you were surprised Texas was not one of Betts' finalists, but you can't even provide a simple reason as to why Texas would/should have been one of her finalists. Nobody needs a thesis.

You're the one who thought Vic would "create a buzz" early at Texas, but basically insinuated he didn't because a 2022 recruit out of Colorado isn't interested in Texas. I gave you an example of the buzz he made in recruiting in his first month in Austin for the 2021 class. We'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul