Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m surprised not to see Baylor there.
There didn't seem to be any mutual interest. Baylor was pursuing Raven Johnson heavily and missed out on her. But as a consolation, Baylor gained Jaden Owens, pg transfer from UCLA, which they had heavily recruited out of high school. There was never any mention of Hunter in the recruiting threads on the Baylor forum. But that also doesn't mean there was no interest.

Reaction Score
There didn't seem to be any mutual interest. Baylor was pursuing Raven Johnson heavily and missed out on her. But as a consolation, Baylor gained Jaden Owens, pg transfer from UCLA, which they had heavily recruited out of high school. There was never any mention of Hunter in the recruiting threads on the Baylor forum. But that also doesn't mean there was no interest.

I heard Wolfenberger was one of Baylors biggest targets for this 2021 class but she wanted to stay home. Outside of that the only other kids I heard Baylor was in contact with was Raven Johnson, Iriafen, Dominique Darius, Aaliyah More. I heard they were trying to recruit Olivia Miles but there wasn't much reciprocal interest.

There are still quite a few top 100 kids uncommitted. I bet Baylor could easily find room to add on if they want to but I guess top programs get the luxury to be picky unlike others.

Reaction Score
I heard Baylor didn't press for her. I'm not sure what is up with their recruiting strategy for this year unless they plan on signing a big 2022 class. They seemed to have a very very narrow list for this recruiting class. They lose Richards, Ursin and Carrington after this upcoming season. Owens will be eligible next year and they are going to sign probably just Dauda this fall unless they miraculously steal Iriafen from Stanford. Given recent history, some top grad transfer will come available and Baylor will likely sweep them up next spring.
Yeah 2022 have some giants on board. I think Mulkey holding off until

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some vid on Kyndall Hunter:

I struck by the video which must be fairly recent where mask are optional for the fans, referees and players with some wearing them and others not. Just curious how that is working out in terms of new cases for COVID-19. Were these players tested?

Reaction Score
I was thinking pgs. Jersey was definitely a high priority.
It wasn’t a shock to me that Jersey picked Arkansas, 6’5 Jersey would have probably been a power forward at Baylor, but I think the Arkansas staff will allow her to try and play in the back court. If it pans out right she could be something special down the line, maybe like a Ben Simmons. Any way I’m looking forward to seeing Baylor and Arkansas meet up this year, things got a little spicy last time Kim lost a kid to LSU, maybe things will get a little spicy again this time around, I’m calling it the wolfenbarger game.

Reaction Score
The small, tight, roster plan blew up on Notre Dame in a big way. UConn was also burned in a lesser way by too small a roster. So far, the limited roster that Baylor has moved towards (five or so years ago, Mulkey was still filling all her scholarship spots) is working for Mulkey. This is due in no small part to Mulkey's ability to get key graduate transfers the last two seasons and integrate the new players quickly into her system. I don't know, but I wonder if this ability can be traced in part back to Mulkey' s La Tech roots. In the later years of La Tech under Barmore. Barmore, at least in the later years, had a lot of junior college transfers. To succeed using that strategy is a special skill involving integrating players into a team quickly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It wasn’t a shock to me that Jersey picked Arkansas, 6’5 Jersey would have probably been a power forward at Baylor, but I think the Arkansas staff will allow her to try and play in the back court. If it pans out right she could be something special down the line, maybe like a Ben Simmons. Any way I’m looking forward to seeing Baylor and Arkansas meet up this year, things got a little spicy last time Kim lost a kid to LSU, maybe things will get a little spicy again this time around, I’m calling it the wolfenbarger game.
There is nothing special about Ben Simmons. With him playing the PG position the Sixers will continue to be NBA hot garbage especially come play off time because he is unwilling and horrible shooter more than 5 feet away from the basket. Jersey's long ball is one of the better parts of her game.
1593442498178.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There is nothing special about Ben Simmons. With him playing the PG position the Sixers will continue to be NBA hot garbage especially come play off time because he is unwilling and horrible shooter more than 5 feet away from the basket. Jersey's long ball is one of the better parts of her game.
View attachment 55909

62% FT does not help either (actually surprised it was so high).

Reaction Score
Baylor pitched Wolfenbarger as a Wing/3. She has a “very highly involved” Mother who wanted to be heavily involved in the ongoing development. That desired “involvement” was an issue. Dauda is seen as capable of playing as a FaceUp 4 or Big 3. Iriafen is being pitched as a Lauren Cox style 4. Nalyssa Smith will play most of her 2021/2022 season minutes at the 3/wing. Baylor offered Harmon but both sides walked away once Jaden Owens took the transfer spot. Expect Owens to be immediately eligible. Baylor will take no more than 2 players in 2021 because the staff LOVES the 2022 & 2023 recruiting classes and is aiming at taking 4+ players in each class. Already made 6 offers to 2022 recruits and 2 offers to 2023 recruits [Baylor rarely makes early offers]. 2022- expect 1 post, 2 FaceUp 4/large Wing, 1-2 shooting guards. 2023- expect 1 post, 1 taller 4, 1 point guard, plus one “best available”. And no one is really worried about UT. The Horns find ways to implode and Schaefer has never coached a team without Teaira McCowan to a win in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tourney.

Reaction Score
View attachment 55909

I just mean maybe she’ll be a true point guard in a power forwards body, Parker and EDD are both guard like but I think both are at there best playing the 4.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
And no one is really worried about UT. The Horns find ways to implode and Schaefer has never coached a team without Teaira McCowan to a win in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tourney.
If you aren't worried about Schaefer at Texas, why did you take your valuable time creating a new thread about him on the Baylor message board? Nothing better to do this time of year?

Reaction Score
If you aren't worried about Schaefer at Texas, why did you take your valuable time creating a new thread about him on the Baylor message board? Nothing better to do this time of year?

To point out the gaping hole in the hype campaign. Using objective data to have meaningful discussions is the internet being put to good use.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
To point out the gaping hole in the hype campaign. Using objective data to have meaningful discussions is the internet being put to good use.
Which hype campaign? The one that obviously bothers you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Baylor pitched Wolfenbarger as a Wing/3. She has a “very highly involved” Mother who wanted to be heavily involved in the ongoing development. That desired “involvement” was an issue. Dauda is seen as capable of playing as a FaceUp 4 or Big 3. Iriafen is being pitched as a Lauren Cox style 4. Nalyssa Smith will play most of her 2021/2022 season minutes at the 3/wing. Baylor offered Harmon but both sides walked away once Jaden Owens took the transfer spot. Expect Owens to be immediately eligible. Baylor will take no more than 2 players in 2021 because the staff LOVES the 2022 & 2023 recruiting classes and is aiming at taking 4+ players in each class. Already made 6 offers to 2022 recruits and 2 offers to 2023 recruits [Baylor rarely makes early offers]. 2022- expect 1 post, 2 FaceUp 4/large Wing, 1-2 shooting guards. 2023- expect 1 post, 1 taller 4, 1 point guard, plus one “best available”. And no one is really worried about UT. The Horns find ways to implode and Schaefer has never coached a team without Teaira McCowan to a win in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tourney.
Which 6 in 22 and which 2 in 23 has Baylor offered? It would appear that Baylor main competition for talent in those 2 classes is South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Which 6 in 22 and which 2 in 23 has Baylor offered? It would appear that Baylor main competition for talent in those 2 classes is South Carolina.
Confirmed:
Ayanna Patterson
Ashlyn Watkins
Sa’Myah Smith

Potential:
Lauren Betts
Adlee Blacklock
Ashlon Jackson
Janiah Barker

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Already made 6 offers to 2022 recruits and 2 offers to 2023 recruits [Baylor rarely makes early offers]. 2022- expect 1 post, 2 FaceUp 4/large Wing, 1-2 shooting guards. 2023- expect 1 post, 1 taller 4, 1 point guard, plus one “best available”.
That doesn't seem accurate. It's always difficult to know for sure all the recruits that a school has offered, and exactly when. You mainly find out when they announce a an early verbal commitment.

I remember years ago when Recee Caldwell verbally committed to Baylor super early, but didn't end up signing with BU. Odyssey Sims also verbally committed very early in the process, decommitted, and then recommitted. Most would assume that Brittney Griner and the Ogwumike sisters also received very early offer from Baylor. I would bet that Lauren Cox was also offered very early in the process.

And, Baylor received a verbal several months ago from 2023 Sammie Wagner. So, she was offered more than 3 years prior to her being able to sign an LOI.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That doesn't seem right. It's always difficult to know for sure all the recruits that a school has offered, and exactly when. You mainly find out when they announce a an early verbal commitment.

I remember years ago when Recee Caldwell verbally committed to Baylor super early, but didn't end up signing with BU. Odyssey Sims also verbally committed very early in the process, decommitted, and then recommitted. Most would assume that Brittney Griner and the Ogwumike sisters also received very early offer from Baylor. I would bet that Lauren Cox was also offered very early in the process.

And, Baylor received a verbal several months ago from 2023 Sammie Wagner. So, she was offered more than 3 years prior to her being able to sign an LOI.

In Mulkey’s twenty years at Baylor, the number of recruits offered a commitable scholarship prior to the end of their HS Sophomore BB season can be counted on your fingers [thumbs not included]. Like any generality, there are a few outlying exceptions, Three of the players you listed did not receive early offers. Best recollection is that all early offers were committed except for two.

As an aside, not every “early commitment” had a commitable offer. not a current issue.

Reaction Score
I’m still trying to decide if your first point was serious, a joke, or just an attempt to rile up another fan base. If serious, in fairness to Texas that is hardly objective data. Prior to T McCowan Coach Schaefer was rebuilding Mississippi State. This past season, the one cut short by COVID 19, was the first he coached post McCowan and he had a very young and inexperienced team runner up in the SEC regular season and SEC Tournament. He had a pretty good shot of getting past the second round.

Reaction Score
I’m still trying to decide if your first point was serious, a joke, or just an attempt to rile up another fan base. If serious, in fairness to Texas that is hardly objective data. Prior to T McCowan Coach Schaefer was rebuilding Mississippi State. This past season, the one cut short by COVID 19, was the first he coached post McCowan and he had a very young and inexperienced team runner up in the SEC regular season and SEC Tournament. He had a pretty good shot of getting past the second round.

Serious and not starting a flame war.

Schaefer was 80-110, 1 winning season, 0 post-seasons in 7 years at SHSU [first HC job]. SHSU is a better job than Gary Blair had at SFASU [same conference] yet Blair created a perennial Top 25 team and Schaefer never had sustained success. At MSU, Schaefer was 62-38 in 3 seasons [1 Post season] before McCowan & 27-6 [2020 season] after McCowan. Good but not overwhelming.

Comment regarding Schaefer in original post was made b/c Horns are again repeatedly publicly claiming that they will now be winning the recruiting battles against Baylor [same as they did when Coach G and Coach Aston arrived]. For the past 12ish years, Baylor has rarely lost recruiting battles on recruits in Texas, Arkansas & Louisiana. The losses stick out: M. Jefferson & C. Williams to UConn, B. Turner to Notre Dame, C. Collier to Texas [not a huge loss b/c Baylor had her and Egbo rated similarly and only planned to take one], N. Ogwumike to Stanford, and Wolfenbarger to Arkansas. Schaefer and Blair never won a recruiting battle on a major recruit against Baylor at TAMU, not seeing a reason that will change.

Schaefer had a nice run with McCowan anchoring the D. Simply not sure he can repeat that level of success. Objectively verifiable data [wins & losses] doesn’t scream predictable results.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Serious and not starting a flame war.

Comment regarding Schaefer in original post was made b/c Horns are again repeatedly publicly claiming that they will now be winning the recruiting battles against Baylor [same as they did when Coach G and Coach Aston arrived]. For the past 12ish years, Baylor has rarely lost recruiting battles on recruits in Texas, Arkansas & Louisiana. The losses stick out: M. Jefferson & C. Williams to UConn, B. Turner to Notre Dame, C. Collier to Texas [not a huge loss b/c Baylor had her and Egbo rated similarly and only planned to take one], N. Ogwumike to Stanford, and Wolfenbarger to Arkansas. Schaefer and Blair never won a recruiting battle on a major recruit against Baylor at TAMU, not seeing a reason that will change.
Actually, you did. So, just own it.

In your first post on this board, you took a cheap shot at Texas (imploding) on a UConn message board because of a "hype campaign" you invented in your head. Guess what? Only like 4-5 Texas fans post on this board; maybe not even that many. So, your pent up frustration against anonymous Texas message board posters (going back to the Goestenkors years, apparently) is being wasted here.

And, Baylor did lose the recruiting battle to Texas for Ariel Atkins. You can add her to the "early" Baylor offer list, as well as Brianna Turner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder how many recruits don't choose Baylor because of the religious nature of the school or even the recent history of sexual assault incidents.

Reaction Score
Taylor Jones another Texas prospect Baylor didn't get.
Mulkey loses them just like everyone else. The one I remember most goes way back and started a bitter rivalry/war (with the coaches at least) with that little state school in south Louisiana. Allison Hightower from Dallas. Seemed like a really good kid that got caught up in a bunch of coach drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom