Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tweet before the kid had announced?

As I said, Dawn’s tweets incite curiosity, and she is one of the most influential people in WBB right now. Guarantee that story doesn’t leak w/o Dawn’s bird tweets. There wouldn’t be people actively seeking those stories.

I’ve taken a few years away from this board, so not sure why y’all have an us vs the world mentality right now...maybe it’s been necessary here, but as I said I’m a fan of Dawn and SC. Just not a fan of these pre-announcement tweets.

You didnt hear, South Carolina overcome the disrespect, hate, and obstacles throw at them by the entire women's college basketball world to win the "we finished the shortened season #1 in some of the polls so should be declared national champions" trophy. I think Dawn is petitioning for a banner and everything. Like Geno said acouple of days ago, "it's crazy"

Reaction Score
Damn impressive haul by Dawn and the staff. Hopefully they’re all ‘21s. Can’t wait for them to reveal themselves. It would be nice to see them get a commit from a GT forward to add to the front court rotation for next season.

Reaction Score
I personally don't see any issue with the coaches tweeting prior to a player's commitment.

IMO though, this is really no different than SC fans saying stuff on Twitter about Geno though -- and there is plenty of that going on.

Reaction Score
SC with a "big bird" according to Dawn. The ambiguity is tiresome IMO. Wait for the players to publicly announce before chiming in...
Dawn has been doing the "birdie tweets" at least as far back as Alaine Coates. That is over 7 years ago. I don't understand why people all of a sudden have issues with it. The recruits don't seem to have a problem with it so it should not matter to you.

Reaction Score
Dawn has been doing the "birdie tweets" at least as far back as Alaine Coates. That is over 7 years ago. I don't understand why people all of a sudden have issues with it. The recruits don't seem to have a problem with it so it should not matter to you.

THIS!!!

... They have an issue with it because they want to have an issue with anything Dawn does now. It bothers them and I love it! Keep being salty!:p

Reaction Score
I think part of the “hate” South Carolina gets comes from the self importance and obnoxiousness many South Carolina fans possess more than anything. I can’t think of a fanbase that attacks opposing coaches, players, and fans more. However, Dawn’s antics certainly contribute. Historically, South Carolina has not been a good program. Only within the last few has the program been taken seriously nationally. So, the attitudes and arrogance of fans (and sometimes Dawn) turns people off.

Reaction Score
F42A36BE-7288-49F2-9729-B0E9B1B2CBCC.gif

Thanks for the entertainment guys!

Reaction Score
I think part of the “hate” South Carolina gets comes from the self importance and obnoxiousness many South Carolina fans possess more than anything. I can’t think of a fanbase that attacks opposing coaches, players, and fans more. However, Dawn’s antics contribute. Historically, South Carolina has not been a good program. Only within the last few has the program been taken seriously nationally. So, the attitudes and arrogance of fans (and sometimes Dawn) turns people off.
I agree some of them act like they’ve been relevant for a while now! They’ve only been relevant for a few seasons. I do like dawn staley sometimes though I got to meet her last year at the final four so that was pretty cool

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I think part of the “hate” South Carolina gets comes from the self importance and obnoxiousness many South Carolina fans possess more than anything. I can’t think of a fanbase that attacks opposing coaches, players, and fans more. However, Dawn’s antics contribute. Historically, South Carolina has not been a good program. Only within the last few has the program been taken seriously nationally. So, the attitudes and arrogance of fans (and sometimes Dawn) turns people off.
I would not disagree with some version of this assessment. I generally really like Dawn - respect the heck out of her as a player and a coach. I think she talks too big of a game from time to time, IMHO, but on that measure some of her fans have her beat by a mile. There's plenty of room for humility while enjoying the ride to the top. For instance, as much as I love to hate the Domers, I think the Notre Dame fans around these parts are always exceedingly gracious, winning or losing. What's weird about the Gamecock ethos exhibited by some fans around here is that there's both a chip on their shoulders but also the claim that they're number one. It's almost kind of impressive to maintain both stances simultaneously.

Reaction Score
I would not disagree with some version of this assessment. I generally really like Dawn - respect the heck out of her as a player and a coach. I think she talks too big of a game from time to time, IMHO, but on that measure some of her fans have her beat by a mile. There's plenty of room for humility while enjoying the ride to the top. For instance, as much as I love to hate the Domers, I think the Notre Dame fans around these parts are always exceedingly gracious, winning or losing. What's weird about the Gamecock ethos exhibited by some fans around here is that there's both a chip on their shoulders but also the claim that they're number one. It's almost kind of impressive to maintain both stances simultaneously.

I agree. From what I’ve seen, it’s a common theme among the fanbase. I don’t quite understand it. Many of them, for a lack of better words, have absolutely no respect for any other program in the country. However, their fans demand to receive the same level of respect say UConn, Stanford, Tennessee, Baylor and Notre Dame receive. I firmly believe if there was more humility there wouldn’t be as much traction across the country thrown their way.

This is where I think Dawn is somewhat at fault. It seems as if her or the team somewhat encourages the behavior. On numerous occasions I have heard the “FAMs always have our backs and fight for us” come from her or a player. This makes it pretty clear they are at least aware of the fan behavior. You don’t really see other coaches doing that. Still, I respect her and what she’s done for their program.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My goodness.. at this thread.... and to think there might be 7 more months before college baskeball is played

I think part of the “hate” South Carolina gets comes from the self importance and obnoxiousness many South Carolina fans possess more than anything. I can’t think of a fanbase that attacks opposing coaches, players, and fans more. However, Dawn’s antics certainly contribute. Historically, South Carolina has not been a good program. Only within the last few has the program been taken seriously nationally. So, the attitudes and arrogance of fans (and sometimes Dawn) turns people off.

You must not follow any other sport..... cause this is child's play in my opinion. I haven't seen all this attacking by the Little Carolina fans that you are referring to. Perhaps I've overlooked it.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
My goodness.. at this thread.... and to think there might be 7 more months before college baskeball is played

You must not follow any other sport..... cause this is child's play in my opinion. I haven't seen all this attacking by the Little Carolina fans that you are referring to. Perhaps I've overlooked it.

That poster is probably talking about twitter interactions. We’re pretty chill on the Boneyard. I will admit, there’s a small group of SC fans on Twitter that are known for being pretty diehard hard hitters, but they are in no way representative of the majority of the fanbase... anybody that’s been to a game in Columbia will tell you that.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, does Dawn normally tweet that and the "commit" waits to make it official way later? Thats what is kinda throwing me off a bit. I know a lot of coaches do similar things when they get a commit but usually the commit announces shortly after the coach tweets it. In LSU's case for football, Coach O will tweet "Hold that tiger" but the commit usually announces within that 24 hour period, he doesn't hint on who the commits are either but football has much more inside resources so most figure it out before then.

Reaction Score
I agree. From what I’ve seen, it’s a common theme among the fanbase. I don’t quite understand it. Many of them, for a lack of better words, have absolutely no respect for any other program in the country. However, their fans demand to receive the same level of respect say UConn, Stanford, Tennessee, Baylor and Notre Dame receive. I firmly believe if there was more humility there wouldn’t be as much traction across the country thrown their way.

This is where I think Dawn is somewhat at fault. It seems as if her or the team somewhat encourages the behavior. On numerous occasions I have heard the “FAMs always have our backs and fight for us” come from her or a player. This makes it pretty clear they are at least aware of the fan behavior. You don’t really see other coaches doing that. Still, I respect her and what she’s done for their program.

The Gamecock FAMS definitely have Dawn’s back and especially on Twitter. If somebody says something negative about the team or her they will definitely not stand for it. Her rallying cry is Gamecocks against Everybody. It’s working for her. Look, Geno speaks his mind. You either love him or hate him. Same with Dawn. She’s going to speak her mind. I don’t always agree with her but I love what she’s done for our WBB program, she’s completely involved in the community, and the girls adore her. She just gives, gives, gives. I’m sure those girls committed are in on whatever she’s doing. Our media team is second to none so they are probably doing something creative. I’m sure we will see soon. Unless it’s a GT or a 2022 I can’t think we would take any more 2021s. Hopefully Big Bird is Sania Feagin.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That poster is probably talking about twitter interactions. We’re pretty chill on the Boneyard. I will admit, there’s a small group of SC fans on Twitter that are known for being pretty diehard hard hitters, but they are in no way representative of the majority of the fanbase... anybody that’s been to a game in Columbia will tell you that.

Oh ok..... I didn't even think about twitter fans. Twitter does bring out some rascals....

Reaction Score
So who do SC fans think they got? rivers, fegan, johnson and Azzi were the only target recruits I could think of...and we know it’s not Azzi

Reaction Score

Yep, definitely was referring to what I see on Twitter. It’s not really difficult to find some of the stuff they’ve said to and about the likes of Geno, Vic, Sabrina, Teaira McCowan, Anriel Howard, Unique Thompson, Sophie Cunningham, Katie Lou, Maryland players, the list really goes on. I have also seen several get pretty nasty with Lobo, Feinberg and Voepel as well. In terms of WBB fanbases, I absolutely have not seen the amount of bullying and harassing on that level from anyone else.

Of course it’s not indicative of the entire fanbase, but it definitely is something that doesn’t go unnoticed. A few bad apples can really ruin it for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom