Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Fun fact, Lydia Giomi's dad played for Bobby Knight and the late Jim Valvano.

Oops. I really whiffed on that one. Not a Duke legacy in Lydia's case. I really shoulda known that, thanks for clearing that up. (I mean, I did know that, but I misremembered :rolleyes:)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The athletic director better be working all aspects of athletics and using his staff to keep money rolling in from former athletes.

The AD's office is supposed to work with the booster clubs. They are supposed to use marketing and multimedia to build tradition.

Not even getting on the list for a legacy player means it is time to start questioning an AD about what they are doing. Remember, he/she is the coaches boss.
I can't believe I am sticking up for the Duke AD here but, As we know nothing of the situation with Verhulst, we have no idea if she was contacted by the coach JPM so before we go questioning any AD and a "legacy of former player", let's get some facts first.

I find it hard to believe that the Duke WCBB program would NOT have known of the #8 ranked players affiliation with their program and would not have reached out to her at some point. I also do think when JPM reached out 2 or more years ago, she was also given the "thanks but no thanks" reception. This has more to do with the coach than the school or the AD in my opinion.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Y'all, I'm a big believer in parsimonious explanation: they did not consider Duke because they did not want to play for its current coach. Apart from the more amorphous "school culture," vibe with the coaching staff is usually a recruit's number one consideration in deciding on a program. If anything, the legacy recruits are probably especially well positioned to have insights about the current coaching staff -- I would not be at all surprised if their parents cautioned them against Duke.

I can't believe I am sticking up for the Duke AD here but, As we know nothing of the situation with Verhulst, we have no idea if she was contacted by the coach JPM so before we go questioning any AD and a "legacy of former player", let's get some facts first.

While I do not have insight about Verhulst and whether her mother (Robin Baker) advised her against Duke, regarding Bella Alarie, Duke did not recruit her, much to the dismay of her father:

Mark Alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, Duke, would get involved considering he took Bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.
“But we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment after a recent National Cathedral game.

Reaction Score
I posted this on April 1, 2020, but just in case it got lost in the shuffle...

What absolutely kills me as a Duke grad/fan (and I believe I mentioned this to @EricLA and @ucbart in our group chat and on our group phone calls) is that Payton Verhulst is the daughter of 1992 Duke graduate (and former DWB player) Robin Baker Verhulst.

As a Duke player, Robin Baker saw action in 82 games, while making 70 starts from 1988-1992 with the Blue Devils. She averaged 11.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists as a senior to close out her career.

But is Duke anywhere on her daughter's radar? As of January 5, 2020, Payton Verhulst's list of nine schools included Arizona State, Connecticut, Louisville, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Tennessee. Duke is NOWHERE to be found, notwithstanding the fact her mother played there collegiately!!

As an aside, Baker graduated in 1992, which was head coach Debbie Leonard's last year. Leonard stepped down at the end of the 1991-92 season (her 15th), and Duke hired then-Purdue assistant coach Gail Goestenkors.
Hey, they attended an open gym in September 2018!

Reaction Score
Its not often I'm the first to break recruiting news but

I wonder what coach she will be playing for her freshman season. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

78781CE3-358A-4B21-B708-9BB1FFC5ECBA.jpeg

Reaction Score
Shaquille O'Neal's older daughter committed to LSU. Her brother Shareef is transferring to LSU from UCLA

The younger daughter Me'arah Oneal is going to be on everyones wish list in a few years. She is 13 and already 6'4 and can almost dunk. Kim Mulkey and Rueck probably already got Shaquille on speed dial for her :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Shaquille O'Neal's older daughter committed to LSU. Her brother Shareef is transferring to LSU from UCLA

The younger daughter Me'arah Oneal is going to be on everyones wish list in a few years. She is 13 and already 6'4 and can almost dunk. Kim Mulkey and Rueck probably already got Shaquille on speed dial for her :D

maxresdefault.jpg

If Fargas don't work out and we make a big time hire. She could be one that could pack the pmac again for the woman. #wishfulthinking

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Austin chose Ole Miss over South Carolina, Virginia, and Louisville.

Coach Yo says the SEC hasn’t seen a player like her since Candace Parker.

Good for her. Would’ve loved her at SC but if playing with other All-Americans was an issue at Maryland then it definitely would’ve been an issue at SC. I’m glad she’s playing for Coach Yo who I’m really fond of.

Reaction Score

Austin chose Ole Miss over South Carolina, Virginia, and Louisville.

Coach Yo says the SEC hasn’t seen a player like her since Candace Parker.

Happy for Ole Miss, but I'm going to have to see the context for those remarks.

I love the obvious talent but surely she wasn't saying most talented since Parker...

Reaction Score
Happy for Ole Miss, but I'm going to have to see the context for those remarks.

I love the obvious talent but surely she wasn't saying most talented since Parker...

I read the article and it sounds like coach Yo has made Austin a lot of promises. If she has the type of skillset coach Yo is describing then shame on Brenda for not letting her utilize it. Hopefully she can put some fans in the seat and make Ole Miss competitive.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Florida, Syracuse, and Michigan:
[MEDIA = instagram] B_JVEeLjOfa [/ MEDIA]
I think her and Latimore will attend the same school.

So, if I recall, Lattimore's three finalists are Kentucky, Florida and Syracuse, so the overlap with Wilson are the Gators and Orange. The 'Cuse, of course, have Kamilla Cardoso, all 6'6" of her, arriving in 2020. Will Lattimore want to post with her? And there's a couple of three-star PGs -- Laura Salmeron and Kiara Fisher, also coming in 2020 to vie PT after Tiana M's final season.

Two could be the face of a Florida rebuild?

If she was to choose the Irish, she would pair with another small(er), quick PG in Alasa Hayes, who would be a sophomore in 2021, a year removed from learning how to be an exclusive PG. Wilso is the third PG in 2021 that there is the proverbial "mutual interest in," along with Ari Wiggins of Indianapolis and Top 5 prospect Olivia Miles of Blair Academy, the Philly Belles and the U.S.A. National Team. One would have to think Miles is the prime target, but good to know MM is covering her bases.

Stay tuned.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69