Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When they say the University of Florida State I cringe....
Why do some schools have University before their names and others after their names?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling if a UConn commit tweeted about attending "the University of UCONN" and Geno caught wind of it, that tweet would be deleted and reposted. I'd be happy with a rule that says recruits can't accept six figures of scholarship money from a school unless and until they can actually write the school's name. In the old days, get that wrong and the check bounces...

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling if a UConn commit tweeted about attending "the University of UCONN" and Geno caught wind of it, that tweet would be deleted and reposted. I'd be happy with a rule that says recruits can't accept six figures of scholarship money from a school unless and until they can actually write the school's name. In the old days, get that wrong and the check bounces...
We've had plenty of football recruits tweet thanks for their offer from "the University of Stanford."

"The University of UCONN" is just ridiculous, though.

Reaction Score
Why do some schools have University before their names and others after their names?
I can't answer that, but why is the website for the University of Oklahoma ou.edu???? Just makes no sense and seems confusing. OK, maybe uo.edu was already taken, but why not try some other letters like uokla.edu, etc.?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I can't answer that, but why is the website for the University of Oklahoma ou.edu???? Just makes no sense and seems confusing. OK, maybe uo.edu was already taken, but why not try some other letters like uokla.edu, etc.?
Although every university can choose its own name, generally speaking, my understanding is that "University of" monikers only make sense when the university's proper name is a placename. It would not make sense to call it the "University of Stanford" because Stanford is nothing but a university. By contrast, one could call it the "University of Oregon" because it is the university of the state of Oregon.

Reaction Score
I am from Oklahoma and graduated from the University of Oklahoma. It is definitely "The University of Oklahoma" and it is also definitely "OU".

Reaction Score
We've had plenty of football recruits tweet thanks for their offer from "the University of Stanford."

I am not an expert on WBB recruiting but in football, most of the time these offers are not commitable. If you go to recruiting website, it will show all the offers the kids have but it doesn't mean they could commit at that time. LSU, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Ohio State will 'offer' a lot of kids but they might not allow them to commit at that time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There’s some heart broken ND fans
Notre Dame was not in her top-6. They may have been hurt when she made the cut from 11 to 6.

We never even got to the stage of having our heart broken because we couldn't get through the fence gate, let alone the front door. :(

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what this says about Jeff's flirtation with MSU. I have no words.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had that ("huh") reaction, as well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had that ("huh") reaction, as well.
Hey Dillon, hope all is well you during this Covid19, am I correct that ND currently does not have any 2021 prospects in the fold yet? What about any for 2022?

Reaction Score

I don't know for all, but FSU has had I think 4-5 names over the years. It opened at West Florida Seminary before the civil war. Then post civil war became a branch of the University of Florida. In the beginning of the 20th century it became Florida Womens College(UF was the first mens college in Florida). Soon after its named changed again to Florida State College for Women, then I believe finally after WW2 became coed and named Florida State University. My grandfather was fresh out of the war when he was hired by FSU.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hey Dillon, hope all is well you during this Covid19, am I correct that ND currently does not have any 2021 prospects in the fold yet? What about any for 2022?

Hey there...Happy Easter and/or Passover wishes (if you're so inclined). So far, so good on the health front for my family, athough things are more than a bit wacky here in northern New Jersey. Hope the same is true for you.

As for Notre Dame and recruits, you are correct: at this juncture, the Irish have no prospects committed yet for either 2021 or 2022.
- For 2021, the Irish will have either 4 or 5 slots open (depending on whether Mik Vaughn uses all her eligility, there are no transfers in or out). It's pretty apparent to anyone that the Irish could use a lead guard and another "paint" (as opposed to a stretch "4") forward/post.

While there are a number of terrific guards that ND has mutual interest in/with, the position is not one of dire need; perhaps because Katlyn Gilbert and Abby Prohaska -- due to inuries and illness, respectively -- have extra years added. They'll be there with Anaya Peoples, Katlyn Gilbert and Alli Campbell.

MM is on record as saying she's aiming high for the 2021 class, which translates into high-risk, either great reward or you're holding nuthin' results. That said, here are possible remaining targets for 2021:
- Lead (Point) Guard: Olivia Miles, Ari Wiggins
- Shooting Guard: Azzi Fudd, Saniya Rivers, Sonia Citron (Payton Verhulst was on that list, but momentum never seemed to pick up there.)
- Foward/Post: Aaliyah Moore, Teonni Key.

As for 2022, possible targets:
- Guard KK Bransford,
- Forwards Ayanna Patterson, Mila Reynolds, both of whom are from Indiana.

And there's talk of transfers: a grad transfer who could play forward. I could see another transfer filling some needs but I'd think the NCAA ruling on whether there's immediate eligibility for the 2020-21 or 2021-22 season will influence that.

Obviously, each and every one of those players -- first-time recruits and/or transfers -- has other top-notch schools after them. Throw that in with the overall uncertainty and I'd say there's a lot of twitchy fans over at McGraw's Bench.

That said, time to take the pedal off the metal and enjoy the Day. Have a Happy and Healthy onr.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Since they left her out when citing the article on the UCONN side:

Congratulations to these girls players for being selected as a Cal-Hi Sports State Player of the Year. Writeups by Mark Tennis except for freshmen (Harold Abend). Stay tuned for the upcoming release of the 41st annual Cal-Hi Sports All-State Teams. Here is a complete list of our girls basketball individual honorees for the 2020 season:

SENIORS/D1/OPEN:
Te-hina Paopao (La Jolla Country Day)

After missing all but the last four games of her freshman season and all of her sophomore season due to two ACL injuries, and then coming back at around 75 percent for her junior season and still being named a finalist for the 2019 Ms. Basketball State Player of the Year, the 5-foot-10 Oregon-bound Paopao, who is listed as a guard, but can play any position on the court if need be, has finally achieved the glory most analysts predicted from the outset of her career and has been named this season’s Ms. Basketball winner. Paopao, who also goes onto the all-time player of the year lists for the Open/D1 and senior categories for 2020, led La Jolla Country Day to a 32-1 record and a CIF Southern Regional Open Division championship. Along the way, she averaged 22.7 points, 8.0 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 3.3 steals per game, and made 88 three-pointers.

More Girls BB State Players of Year

More information on PaoPao here for those who are interested:

Ms. Basketball 2020: Paopao Steps Up

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since they left her out when citing the article on the UCONN side:

Congratulations to these girls players for being selected as a Cal-Hi Sports State Player of the Year. Writeups by Mark Tennis except for freshmen (Harold Abend). Stay tuned for the upcoming release of the 41st annual Cal-Hi Sports All-State Teams. Here is a complete list of our girls basketball individual honorees for the 2020 season:

SENIORS/D1/OPEN:
Te-hina Paopao (La Jolla Country Day)

After missing all but the last four games of her freshman season and all of her sophomore season due to two ACL injuries, and then coming back at around 75 percent for her junior season and still being named a finalist for the 2019 Ms. Basketball State Player of the Year, the 5-foot-10 Oregon-bound Paopao, who is listed as a guard, but can play any position on the court if need be, has finally achieved the glory most analysts predicted from the outset of her career and has been named this season’s Ms. Basketball winner. Paopao, who also goes onto the all-time player of the year lists for the Open/D1 and senior categories for 2020, led La Jolla Country Day to a 32-1 record and a CIF Southern Regional Open Division championship. Along the way, she averaged 22.7 points, 8.0 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 3.3 steals per game, and made 88 three-pointers.

More Girls BB State Players of Year

More information on PaoPao here for those who are interested:

Ms. Basketball 2020: Paopao Steps Up
More and others on great radio interview with Kelly Graves

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Very surprised that Verhulst picked Louisville.

That makes two of us. I do know her top-3 were Oregon, Oregon State, and Louisville. I’m a little more surprised Notre Dame wasn’t a finalist.

One of her parents or grandparents must of went to Louisville right? You don't have baby pictures wearing a schools jersey unless one of your folks went there. Does anyone know if she has family connections to UL?

I posted this on April 1, 2020, but just in case it got lost in the shuffle...

What absolutely kills me as a Duke grad/fan (and I believe I mentioned this to @EricLA and @ucbart in our group chat and on our group phone calls) is that Payton Verhulst is the daughter of 1992 Duke graduate (and former DWB player) Robin Baker Verhulst.

As a Duke player, Robin Baker saw action in 82 games, while making 70 starts from 1988-1992 with the Blue Devils. She averaged 11.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists as a senior to close out her career.

But is Duke anywhere on her daughter's radar? As of January 5, 2020, Payton Verhulst's list of nine schools included Arizona State, Connecticut, Louisville, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Tennessee. Duke is NOWHERE to be found, notwithstanding the fact her mother played there collegiately!!

As an aside, Baker graduated in 1992, which was head coach Debbie Leonard's last year. Leonard stepped down at the end of the 1991-92 season (her 15th), and Duke hired then-Purdue assistant coach Gail Goestenkors.

Reaction Score
I posted this on April 1, 2020, but just in case it got lost in the shuffle...

What absolutely kills me as a Duke grad/fan (and I believe I mentioned this to @EricLA and @ucbart in our group chat and on our group phone calls) is that Payton Verhulst is the daughter of 1992 Duke graduate (and former DWB player) Robin Baker Verhulst.

As a Duke player, Robin Baker saw action in 82 games, while making 70 starts from 1988-1992 with the Blue Devils. She averaged 11.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists as a senior to close out her career.

But is Duke anywhere on her daughter's radar? As of January 5, 2020, Payton Verhulst's list of nine schools included Arizona State, Connecticut, Louisville, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Tennessee. Duke is NOWHERE to be found, notwithstanding the fact her mother played there collegiately!!

As an aside, Baker graduated in 1992, which was head coach Debbie Leonard's last year. Leonard stepped down at the end of the 1991-92 season (her 15th), and Duke hired then-Purdue assistant coach Gail Goestenkors.

Got to work on those legacies. It is on the athletic director to make sure those old players stay involved with their alma mater.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Alarie who went to Princeton and Giomi at Oregon are a couple more Duke legacies who went elsewhere. Not sure if either were on their radar. While Giomi has had a modest career Alarie was a standout.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So that comment on legacy has me wondering if any former UConn players have had their daughters recruited by Geno and staff as he (and CD) have been with the program since 1985, you would think there would be some players that have come up.

That said, @garddog is a bit misguided but well-meaning in that the Athletic Director usually does not have a direct hand in Booster/Alumni support. Schools usually have programs that do that to maintain the continuity when coaches come and go. Honestly, who knows how Robin Baker's experience was at Duke nor do we know if Payton even cared about what here mom thought. From that Cam list, the bottom 3 were ASU, Mizzou and Tennessee so on the surface it seems odd that Duke is not listed with them at least. On the other hand for such a top prospect at Payton, why would those or even Duke be included as none of those are known for developing pros. Forget the educational component as PV is squarely looking at a pro career and along those lines, I would not consider Duke as an option. Sorry :oops: that the truth hurts.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Alarie who went to Princeton and Giomi at Oregon are a couple more Duke legacies who went elsewhere. Not sure if either were on their radar. While Giomi has had a modest career Alarie was a standout.
umm, you're talking about fathers vs. mothers and the Men's program vs. the Women's....big difference.

Reaction Score
Fun fact, Lydia Giomi's dad played for Bobby Knight and the late Jim Valvano.

Reaction Score
So that comment on legacy has me wondering if any former UConn players have had their daughters recruited by Geno and staff as he (and CD) have been with the program since 1985, you would think there would be some players that have come up.

That said, @garddog is a bit misguided but well-meaning in that the Athletic Director usually does not have a direct hand in Booster/Alumni support. Schools usually have programs that do that to maintain the continuity when coaches come and go. Honestly, who knows how Robin Baker's experience was at Duke nor do we know if Payton even cared about what here mom thought. From that Cam list, the bottom 3 were ASU, Mizzou and Tennessee so on the surface it seems odd that Duke is not listed with them at least. On the other hand for such a top prospect at Payton, why would those or even Duke be included as none of those are known for developing pros. Forget the educational component as PV is squarely looking at a pro career and along those lines, I would not consider Duke as an option. Sorry :oops: that the truth hurts.

The athletic director better be working all aspects of athletics and using his staff to keep money rolling in from former athletes.

The AD's office is supposed to work with the booster clubs. They are supposed to use marketing and multimedia to build tradition.

Not even getting on the list for a legacy player means it is time to start questioning an AD about what they are doing. Remember, he/she is the coaches boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom