Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 57 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Why did you mention Stanford? They aren't on her list. Did NC State's logo confuse you?
Thanks, you nailed it! I only got my BA from Stanford, so I still struggle with basic cognitive functions like recognizing my own team's logo. Thanks for setting me straight.

It's up to you if you want to consider Dawn's program a B-list program. Go ahead. I don't think recruits believe that to be so, but have at it if you want.
What I think is that fans of South Carolina do the program a disservice by thinking that being a Gamecock warrants being cocky, too. What I read between the lines of your post was that she's not being recruited by South Carolina, and therefore the rest are mostly forgettable also-rans. Trashing recruits not targeting your program -- and implicitly, the programs they are targeting -- doesn't win anyone over to your side. It just looks petty.

Tara has been around enough long enough to have defeated Dawn (as a player) on the way to both championships. Geno won his first -- of eleven -- the year after Dawn graduated college. Geno and Tara don't feel the need to call out which programs are "A-list" and not, and I don't see many Huskies or Cardinal fans doing the same, either. So I'd say fans of an ascendant program that's just earned its place at the table could take a few cues from those HOFers and their fanbases and focus on themselves if they have nothing nice to say about everybody else.

My two cents. I'll go back to studying the Stanford logo in the hopes of figuring it out by 2021.

Reaction Score
Don't get bogged down. I'm just saying he has a championship appearance as a head coach and an assistant coach. Jeff Walz is the only other one you named to have that. McCray doesn't have that obviously. I'm not saying his Texas A&M title counts officially as a title he won as a head coach.
You said as a coach in an attempt to blend the national championships appearances. McCray was an assistant coach for South Carolina the year they won a national championship.

I don't have any issues with the South Carolina fan doing what he did because happens all the time on this board. When Lauren Betts made her finals list, posters cherry picked which schools they thought should have been on the list and which shouldn't have been on there.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Vic has made 3 national championship games in the last decade. Behind only Geno and Muffet.

Vic has done it at 2 different campuses (one of them without McCowan). If he makes it at Texas, name me another coach who's ever *made* it at 3 different campuses.

Dude is A-list, case closed.
Dude, NO WAY, you can't count what he did under Gary Blair as an assistant, unless you want to bring his SFA record into play where he was abysmal. Truth is we don't know how good he really is yet as his reloading after McCown/Vivians squad at MSU is incomplete-it looked sort of promising but it's an incomplete. Let's see how he handles the Big12 and more importantly Kim and her monster program before we go all googly eyes with him as an "A" lister.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That was a Hall of Very Good type final recruiting list.

No UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, Louisville, Maryland, or South Carolina.

Miss State is certainly a top tier school though until proven otherwise. They should be really good this season. I might make them the SEC favorite when it is time to predict. If there is a time to predict.
Though, let me ask-define really good- Top 10, Top 20, 2nd place in SEC, top 4 in SEC, what is your definition of really good? I see MSU as Top 16 maybe, top 4 in SEC.

Reaction Score
Dude, NO WAY, you can't count what he did under Gary Blair as an assistant, unless you want to bring his SFA record into play where he was abysmal. Truth is we don't know how good he really is yet as his reloading after McCown/Vivians squad at MSU is incomplete-it looked sort of promising but it's an incomplete. Let's see how he handles the Big12 and more importantly Kim and her monster program before we go all googly eyes with him as an "A" lister.

Quick note......Vic was at Sam Houston State University (90-97) not SFA [Blair was at SFA (85-93)]. Only mention because the two schools are in the same conference, the fan bases hate one another, and at that time SFA dominated SHSU in women’s basketball. Blair got to know Vic by kicking his tail twice a year. Your point doesn’t change but the impact is stronger.

Reaction Score
C. Viv Stringer made it to the Final Four on three different campuses. Cheyney State (Runner Up), Iowa (F4), and Rutgers (RU).That’s the first example that comes to mind.

Wait. I spoke too soon! I found another example who is even more epic!

Marianne Stanley won two titles as a player at Immaculata in the 1973 and 1974 campaigns at the midst of the height of the Mighty Macs. Stanley proceeded to coach Old Dominion to their only national title in 1985. She went to the Elite 8 as an assistant at USC in 1992, before returning to the final four at Stanford as an assistant in 1996. She also was on C Viv’s staff that took Rutgers to their national championship game in 2006. If you think that wasn’t enough, she’s won a WNBA title as an assistant for the Washington Mystics in the WNBA in 2019. That’s Five Final Fours on Four different campuses, Four Titles, and a much better resume than literally anyone out there.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Vic is for sure an A-list coach. He left McCray with a top 5 roster at MSU.

McCray is a good coach, if she can win with the elite talent that she currently has then she'll reap the rewards in later classes. Right now, she just needs to show top-25 recruits that she can win the big games. Once that happens, you'll see MSU reappear on those lists again.. but McCray is a phenomenal recruiter so I definitely believe she'll reel in a big fish sooner rather than later regardless of wins.

As far as Texas, I think Vic will eventually build a powerhouse in Austin. No reason Texas shouldn't be a top 5 program year in and year out IMO.

Reaction Score
Vic is for sure an A-list coach. He left McCray with a top 5 roster at MSU.

McCray is a good coach, if she can win with the elite talent that she currently has then she'll reap the rewards in later classes. Right now, she just needs to show top-25 recruits that she can win the big games. Once that happens, you'll see MSU reappear on those lists again.. but McCray is a phenomenal recruiter so I definitely believe she'll reel in a big fish sooner rather than later regardless of wins.

As far as Texas, I think Vic will eventually build a powerhouse in Austin. No reason Texas shouldn't be a top 5 program year in and year out IMO.

UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford. Whose Texas knocking out of the top 5?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame and I think maybe Baylor if he starts stealing her TX recruits.

You would be surprised how infrequently Baylor & UT go “head to head” as the finalists for recruits [that could change with a different talent evaluator]. Baylor heavily recruits Louisiana & Arkansas & West [Colorado, California] and UT doesn’t. UT recruits much more heavily on the East Coast & in Canada than Baylor. Baylor has heavy ties to ProSkills, SA Finest, TeamLex, etc. summer teams while UT focuses on CyFair Elite, etc. Baylor has gone head to head more with UConn [Moriah Jefferson, Lauren Cox], Notre Dame [Brianna Turner], and even Arkansas [Jersey Wolfenbarger, Maryam Dauda] than against UT in recent recruiting cycles. There is some overlap [Baylor got Didi Richards who previously committed to UT, Baylor got Queen Egbo in head to head, UT got Rory Harmon after Baylor took Jaden Owens as a transfer, UT got Charli Collier (Baylor not a Finalist)]. Coach Mulkey and Coach Aston both have very particular “player profiles” they seek and those profiles do not overlap substantially [in practice]. Maybe it will change with Vic. But Baylor and ATM generally weren’t fighting over the same recruits when Vic was there with Blair.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You would be surprised how infrequently Baylor & UT go “head to head” as the finalists for recruits [that could change with a different talent evaluator]. Baylor heavily recruits Louisiana & Arkansas & West [Colorado, California] and UT doesn’t. UT recruits much more heavily on the East Coast & in Canada than Baylor. Baylor has heavy ties to ProSkills, SA Finest, TeamLex, etc. summer teams while UT focuses on CyFair Elite, etc. Baylor has gone head to head more with UConn [Moriah Jefferson, Lauren Cox], Notre Dame [Brianna Turner], and even Arkansas [Jersey Wolfenbarger, Maryam Dauda] than against UT in recent recruiting cycles. There is some overlap [Baylor got Didi Richards who previously committed to UT, Baylor got Queen Egbo in head to head, UT got Rory Harmon after Baylor took Jaden Owens as a transfer, UT got Charli Collier (Baylor not a Finalist)]. Coach Mulkey and Coach Aston both have very particular “player profiles” they seek and those profiles do not overlap substantially [in practice]. Maybe it will change with Vic. But Baylor and ATM generally weren’t fighting over the same recruits when Vic was there with Blair.
That's just completely inaccurate. Texas just signed a player for 2020 from California, signed Destiny Littleton out of Cali 4 years go, have Karisma Oritz from Caifornia on the current roster, and recruited Haley Jones heavily. We've had a couple players on the roster under Aston from Colorado; we also lost out on Ashten Prechtel from Colorado (to Stanford). Aston recruited several players out of Arkansas (her home state) like Elauna Eaton and Sash Goforth, even though she didn't sign them.

But, yeah, Texas doesn't recruit out West and Arkansas . . . :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's just completely inaccurate. Texas just signed a player for 2020 from California, signed Destiny Littleton out of Cali 4 years go, have Karisma Oritz from Caifornia on the current roster, and recruited Haley Jones heavily. We've had a couple players on the roster under Aston from Colorado; we also lost out on Ashten Prechtel from Colorado (to Stanford). Aston recruited several players out of Arkansas (her home state) like Elauna Eaton and Sash Goforth, even though she didn't sign them.

But, yeah, Texas doesn't recruit out West and Arkansas . . . :rolleyes:

Name the last UT player from California, Colorado, or Arkansas that was even 2nd Team All Big 12. Signing 2nd Tier [or overrated] players is not the same as recruiting & landing the Top Tier players. Littleton? How is that going? Want to then claim R. Boothe as Florida recruiting prowess?

R. Allison, J. Madden, M. Jones, etc. Actual elite recruits who actually became All Big 12. Or go to Georgia and Florida for Chandler, Mompremier, Prince, Cave, Johnson, etc. for actual elite recruits who actually became All Big 12.

Signing the JV recruits or calling the Elite recruits is not the same as going head to head to sign top recruits.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Name the last UT player from California, Colorado, or Arkansas that was even 2nd Team All Big 12. Signing 2nd Tier [or overrated] players is not the same as recruiting & landing the Top Tier players. Littleton? How is that going? Want to then claim R. Boothe as Florida recruiting prowess?

R. Allison, J. Madden, M. Jones, etc. Actual elite recruits who actually became All Big 12. Or go to Georgia and Florida for Chandler, Mompremier, Prince, Cave, Johnson, etc. for actual elite recruits who actually became All Big 12.

Signing the JV recruits or calling the Elite recruits is not the same as going head to head to sign top recruits.
Their success in college was not included in your original post, nor was the "level" of recruit; nothing had been said about recruiting Florida or Georgia, either. So, instead of just admitting you were wrong, you are now introducing completely new topics to your argument in order to avoid looking completely clueless. Keep pretending you know more about Texas basketball and recruiting than I do. Head bang

You really want to know how signing Destiny Littleton out of California turned out for Texas? A whole helluva lot better than how Baylor signing Aquira DeCosta out of California turned out . . .

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Wait a minute, both Littleton and Booth were BIG TIME recruits when they were being recruited. They are both "busts" but many schools wanted them.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute, both Littleton and Booth were BIG TIME recruits when they were being recruited. They are both "busts" but many schools wanted them.

That is the point being made.

DEPup Opined: UT replaces Baylor as an elite if Vic steals recruits. My response: Baylor & UT haven’t historically overlapped in recruiting targets. Southie Stalker: UT recruits Cali. My response: it doesn’t recruit Elite players there. Elite in actuality, not Elite in rankings.

Certainly we all know that recruiting rankings are often a joke. Rellah Boothe as a Top 3 recruit?
Good Recruiting doesn’t simply entail landing the players you seek but also knowing which players to seek [talent, fit, behavior, drive]. Every top program has landed a recruit that hasn’t “planned out”. Every top program has landed a “lesser” ranked recruit that became a great player. UT is the UberQueen of landing UnderPerforming “Top” recruits. Other than Ariel Atkins can you name one UT recruit that her performance for UT matched her ranking?

So........UT won’t replace Baylor as the Elite program by stealing recruits because they are too busy pursuing other recruits who won’t perform at their ranking level. Predicting now that UT’s 2021 recruits’ play won’t match their recruiting ranking.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That is the point being made.

DEPup Opined: UT replaces Baylor as an elite if Vic steals recruits. My response: Baylor & UT haven’t historically overlapped in recruiting targets. Southie Stalker: UT recruits Cali. My response: it doesn’t recruit Elite players there. Elite in actuality, not Elite in rankings.
I just love it when posters resort to juvenile name-calling and insults after they get called out for posting false statements about other schools.

Remind us all which "elite" recruits out of California high schools signed with Baylor and panned out, and others out of the Western states where you proclaimed Baylor as successful. We all know that Aquira Decosta out of California was a huge miss at Baylor, regardless of the reasons.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Good Recruiting doesn’t simply entail landing the players you seek but also knowing which players to seek [talent, fit, behavior, drive]. Every top program has landed a recruit that hasn’t “planned out”. Every top program has landed a “lesser” ranked recruit that became a great player. T is the UberQueen of landing UnderPerforming “Top” recruits. Other than Ariel Atkins can you name one UT recruit that her performance for UT matched her ranking?
You post more about Texas and Vic on this board than about your own team; you seem very insecure.

Brooke McCarty is the answer you are looking for. She was even voted Big 12 POY one season. Don't let the facts slap you in the ass.

Reaction Score
Melissa Jones: Colorado. AP All American. 2 time All Big 12. Big 12 Sixth [wo]Man of the Year.
Sheila Lambert: California. AP All American. ALL Big 12. WNBA 1st Round Draft Pick.

need more?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Melissa Jones: Colorado. AP All American. 2 time All Big 12. Big 12 Sixth [wo]Man of the Year.
Sheila Lambert: California. AP All American. ALL Big 12. WNBA 1st Round Draft Pick.

need more?
I do need more.

Lambert was not signed out of high school (JUCO), which I specifically noted in my post. So, zero out of California high schools, right, as Lambert is from Seattle, Washington, not California. :rolleyes:

Hilarious that you had to go back almost 20 years to even find a player with West coast roots who had success at Baylor. But, Baylor has had so much success (according to you) with recruits out of California that you FAILED to name one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox has a message for your whiny bitterness.....
70536D48-C72D-4A5D-90C0-6375AC635D79.jpeg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox has a message for your whiny bitterness..... View attachment 57715
Nah''''''! Is that we are doing now flossing conference rings ? Somebody is bound to point out that had she accepted the challenge of playing at UCONN she might legit have 4 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP rings.

To parahrase that great American Poet-Lauryn Hill.

"Lauren baby use your head"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman