Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 49 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
In 2009, Maryland did have an international player. Her name is Diandre Tchatchouang. Very talented. She left after two year to go professional in France. Also in 2009 Jackie Nared debut for Maryland (her father played for Maryland and was a teammate of the late Len Bias. Jamie played for Tennessee). She left after one year and played for St Mary's in California.

In 2008 basically it was Lynetta Kizer who was the ACC Freshman of the year.

2007 was not a good year. The class was ranked #2 in the country. Kat Lyons left after one season. Marah Strickland left for South Carolina after two season. Drey Mingo went to Purdue after two seasons. Anjale Barrett and Kim Rodgers stayed 5 years and was on three Elite teams.

But give Brenda credit. She stay in the top 10 even though she have a massive amount of transfers.

I liked Marah Strickland. She was a pretty good lead guard. Whatever happened to her? Never saw her transfer or anything. Did she just quit basketball?

Reaction Score
I liked Marah Strickland. She was a pretty good lead guard. Whatever happened to her? Never saw her transfer or anything. Did she just quit basketball?
I she transferred to South California for 1 year I think, and then transferred somewhere else after that, I believe to a D2 school.

Reaction Score
Strickland was having issues with an illness at SC the year she played there after sitting out her transfer year. She ended up graduating from SC and grad transfer to Fordham. I think the illness was diagnosed between the time of the transfer. She had to sit out at Fordham and get a 6th year of eligibility to play. She was one of my favorite players so I followed up on her when she left. There should be an article online because I remembered reading about it years ago.

Reaction Score
Strickland was having issues with an illness at SC the year she played there after sitting out her transfer year. She ended up graduating from SC and grad transfer to Fordham. I think the illness was diagnosed between the time of the transfer. She had to sit out at Fordham and get a 6th year of eligibility to play. She was one of my favorite players so I followed up on her when she left. There should be an article online because I remembered reading about it years ago.

Ex-Terp Marah Strickland takes 'exciting road' to Fordham

Reaction Score
Mmmmm either not everyone loves Kara as the coach or she’s playing hardball from the get go

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mmmmm either not everyone loves Kata as the coach or she’s playing hardball from the get go

Very understandable to open your recruitment when the staff that recruited you leaves and to look at some of your finalist schools who you know you much better. And I am sure all Kara could say (assuming she did not go hardball) is that she really does not know what your place is at Duke in 2021 until all the pieces are in place.

Reaction Score
Very understandable to open your recruitment when the staff that recruited you leaves and to look at some of your finalist schools who you know you much better. And I am sure all Kara could say (assuming she did not go hardball) is that she really does not know what your place is at Duke in 2021 until all the pieces are in place.
Agreed. As great a person and as knowledgeable as she is about basketball, there is still no one on staff that was there when the commitment was made.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Didn't want to start a new topic, but it is WCBB recruiting related. California has voted to change the schedule of all sports. WBB will now start March 12th in most of the Southern half of the state and it looks like a week later in parts of Northern California.

CIF Section By Section Starting Dates

Southern Section:
Football January 8, Boys & Girls Basketball March 12, The Southern Section is where KLM and KLS played.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kara not messing around.

Not totally shocked about Brooklyn Rewers or Lauren Walker, but I think Marisa Davis has nice upside, and Pollerd is very shocking because she is a very good player. I think Cochrane has some nice upside as well.

I assume she’ll be all over Fudd and Iriafen.

Reaction Score
Kara not messing around.

I understand both sides of this. This coach/director is looking out for the players and obviously has their best interest in mind. It is tough to have to reopen recruiting after thinking you were settled. However Coach Lawson obviously told them she couldn’t promise them they would fit in the program. It would have been worse if she had honored the scholarship then told them after the coming season it wasn’t going to work out. It’s also her job on the line. No program is immune.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My understanding is "commitment" vs. National Letter of Intent have two totally different contractual issues. The former has zero contractual component from either side, whereas the latter (as opposed to ladder ;) ), has a formal commitment to be honored by the school. As none of the players were ranked in the top 100 (Aussie's are not in the HG rankings anyway) I am not surprised, and neither should the girls be, that Lawson wants to elevate the skill set. That was one of the downfalls of JPM, her less than stellar recruiting lately caused some of her issues. Kara rightfully wants to raise the bar. Youth coaches can cry all they want but that too is self-serving their needs, not Duke's.

"She who shall not be named", would not be wise to choose Duke as Kara is still too much of an unknown. This will be great theater to watch play out and if any of this comes to fruition. Get me the Michael Jackson meme of eating popcorn!!! :cool:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
BTW, at #91 on the HoopGurlz 2021 list is an uncommitted 5'5" Point Guard from Georgia named Denim DeShields...yes, one and the same last name....curious to see where she ends up. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Interesting work on the Maryland transfers. Players do transfer at a higher rate these days but it's interesting to see so many from one school, especially so highly ranked, leave out early of a program that has been a consistent top 10-15 and perennial conference champion.

I was living in Greensboro in 2006 when NC, Duke, and then ACC team Maryland were all in the FF and there as a certain amount of pride that went in to the fact the tournament was dominated by the ACC. I was hoping Gail would pull it out but Maryland took the game from them.

Freese has never seemed like the kind of person I would want to have dinner with but I do think she's a good coach who has done well at Maryland.
Only Auburn University has a higher rate of transfers...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
BTW, at #91 on the HoopGurlz 2021 list is an uncommitted 5'5" Point Guard from Georgia named Denim DeShields...yes, one and the same last name....curious to see where she ends up. :rolleyes:

Hhmm. Diamond vs Denim. That might cause some interesting sibling issues.:p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's been an interesting July to say the least here on Tobacco Road. .... can't wait to see what the last 10 days brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom