Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 85 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Louisville has 2 (possibly 3 due to a walk-on who is on a scholarship) scholarships available at this point. Very interesting that they are still after so many prospects despite having two spots open. 2 spots for 15 prospects is very interesting!

I very much agree that it makes a Louisville offer less special when he is going around and giving seemingly every top 60 prospect one. He recruits purely based off talent rather than whether or not it will fit his system. Geno, Scott, Kelly, Vic, Muffett, etc. seem to recruit players they feel confident will thrive in their system

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Illinois?! Why would any top recruit be looking at them? Haven't been to the Tourney since '03 and 5 straight seasons with a below .500 record. Uh....?

Eh, token in-state school. Happens all the time.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Brea Beal’s top 5: Illinois, Duke, Lousiville, S. Carolina, and Michigan

A fairly interesting group of schools but definitely a lot of variety (program level, academics, distance from home)

I hope all 20 of Louisville’s targets attempt to verbal at once! Will really be interesting to see who commits there first.

Interesting comment by Raoul, “Out of the top 12 WBB prospects for 2019 per espnW, 8 are uncommitted, and 6 of the 8 have a public list of finalists. South Carolina is a finalist for all 6; Louisville is a finalist for 5.”

Both are seriously relentless recruiters

I really need to step up my game and start making fun of Walz AND Staley for their recruiting tactics...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"Under the radar" is a good description of Beal's recruitment between summer of 2017-& 2018. She been playing on the same EYBL team as Anaya Peoples and playing fairly well but really no buzz, no coach sightings for the former #3 player in the class. I'm going out on a limb and saying Duke makes her final 5 based on the strong academics.

Like the logic flow. With that in mind, two others:
- maybe the B1G makes the list with Michigan?
- and perhaps Steph White gets into the scene with Vandy?

Brea Beal’s top 5: Illinois, Duke, Louisville, S. Carolina, and Michigan

OK, you got Duke and my Michigan hunch played out (while Vandy fell by the wayside).

Louisville and S. Carolina almost seem pro forma at this point and Illinois seems like a nod to her Illini roots..although I think Nancy Fahey is making some strides there (see other post just under this).

My gut says one of our collective picks: U of M or Duke.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Because their new coach was one of the best Div III coaches in the country and is an excellent coach. If she can get some top tier players she will turn the program around. She is the former Washington University ( St. Louis) coach and coached her team to multiple Div III NC.

Nancy Fahey has a top 100 Hoopgurlz forward, Mckenzie Blazek, and former Top 100 performer (and one-time Duke commit) guard Arieal Scott in Champaign this semester. If she could convince a Brea Beal to join them, that could help raise the Illini brand around the B1G.
2018 High School Girls' Basketball Recruits - Illinois - ESPN

I'll be watching how she does this year both on the court and off.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Illinois?! Why would any top recruit be looking at them? Haven't been to the Tourney since '03 and 5 straight seasons with a below .500 record. Uh....?
Illinois is her state school. Tori McCoy also gave Illinois serious consideration despite the controversy brewing there at the time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, thank you for all of the responses. I wasn't familiar with the Illini's current coach.

I think I'm just a little bitter. UW can't seem to get local prospects to even look at them, despite a Final 4 in '16 and school record win total/2nd place conference finish in '17. Jody Wynn may not have a big reputation but doesn't even seem like she's getting a foot in the door.

I guess it's all about a coach being able to sell their vision for the future. Rueck won a D3 National Championship at George Fox and then quickly turned around an Oregon St. program that was an absolute dumpster fire prior to his taking over. Got a few top 50/60 level recruits right away, although not top 10/25 or McD AA's. Still can't seem to get the elite in-state players though.

Reaction Score
Sluconn, I read this on their forum from a staff writer:

“FYI

You can take Bell and Brown off the list...”

I would guess there is no longer mutual interest between Louisville and Bell and Brown.

Brown is good friends with a 2019 Oklahoma commit and Oregon State commit(both among her finalists). Would be interesting to see if she committed to OreSt. with all the height they already have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sluconn, I read this on their forum from a staff writer:

“FYI

You can take Bell and Brown off the list...”

I would guess there is no longer mutual interest between Louisville and Bell and Brown.

Brown is good friends with a 2019 Oklahoma commit and Oregon State commit(both among her finalists). Would be interesting to see if she committed to OreSt. with all the height they already have.

Brown would have to be nuts to commit to Oregon State...........when you're 6'5" and you'd have to look up to several of your teammates it's time to look elsewhere

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Brown would have to be nuts to commit to Oregon State......when you're 6'5" and you'd have to look up to several of your teammates it's time to look elsewhere

Except she has expressed interest in playing the 4 in college and Oregon State gives her that option with 2 centers.

Reaction Score
Except she has expressed interest in playing the 4 in college and Oregon State gives her that option with 2 centers.

I have a feeling that the coach hasn't guaranteed her a spot at that position.............obviously she should go where she feels the most comfortable but I would think there are other good programs where she'll get more playing time and perhaps the same opportunity at two positions........

Reaction Score
Well Patricia Morris (6’7”, 2018) and Taylor Jones(6’3”, 2019) are both 5’s.

Taya Corosdale (6’3”, 2017) is a wing/stretch 4.

Andrea Aquino (6’9”, 2018) is a 4 too.

Kennedy Brown wants to play the 4 also so that would give her 2 years behind Corosdale and 3 behind Aquino. These would not leave a lot of playing time.

Oregon has Boley and Sabally at the 4 for 2 years also.

NaLyssa Smith ahead at the 4 at Baylor too

Clearly Oklahoma would give her the best shot at quick playing time, but she wants to win a lot too

Reaction Score

Kennedy Brown wants to play the 4 also so that would give her 2 years behind Corosdale and 3 behind Aquino. These would not leave a lot of playing time.

Clearly Oklahoma would give her the best shot at quick playing time, but she wants to win a lot too

good analysis..........,.......who thought it would be so tough being a talented 6'5" basketball player these days.........

Reaction Score
Every year there seems to be more and more 6’4”/6’5”s who are just so mobile and coordinated.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
With the way Hamblin and then Gulich developed, is it any surprise some post players are wanting to go there now? They'd be crazy to not want that kind of coaching and development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would consider Boley & Sabally more 3 than 4, which leaves NaLyssa Smith the only comparable 4 to Brown. Brown is on the record as saying that she is talking to all the coaches about being a stretch 4 in college and she doesn't want to spend "all" her time with her back to the basket. I like brown a lot but am a little bit concerned that she may be restricting herself too early. I think she ends up at Louisville.

Reaction Score
With the way Hamblin and then Gulich developed, is it any surprise some post players are wanting to go there now? They'd be crazy to not want that kind of coaching and development.

yes but they are traditional post players, apparently Ms Brown fancies herself to be a bit more like Dirk Nowitski................sounds like somebody who recently passed through Storrs..................

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I would consider Boley & Sabally more 3 than 4, which leaves NaLyssa Smith the only comparable 4 to Brown. Brown is on the record as saying that she is talking to all the coaches about being a stretch 4 in college and she doesn't want to spend "all" her time with her back to the basket. I like brown a lot but am a little bit concerned that she may be restricting herself too early. I think she ends up at Louisville.

Interesting call, Coco. Given that Sam Fuehring is a senior (how'd that happen so fast?) and Kylee Shook would be a senior when Brown arrives on campus, there will be some opportunities for PT if Brown heads to Louisville.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting call, Coco. Given that Sam Fuehring is a senior (how'd that happen so fast?) and Kylee Shook would be a senior when Brown arrives on campus, there will be some opportunities for PT if Brown heads to Louisville.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Also think Jeff gets a pretty good recruiting class in 2019: Parker, Green, Brown, & (Blackwell or Cooke).

Reaction Score
As I posted earlier, Jody Demling, who is Publisher of the Louisville 247sports site, said they are no longer recruiting her.

They said the posts they are going after are JaQuaya Miller and Maori Davenport. Must be high on Davenport are Walz coaching her at U18. She’s also a Mississippi State target and they have a 6-player 2018 class with 3 posts

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I posted earlier, Jody Demling, who is Publisher of the Louisville 247sports site, said they are no longer recruiting her.

They said the posts they are going after are JaQuaya Miller and Maori Davenport. Must be high on Davenport are Walz coaching her at U18. She’s also a Mississippi State target and they have a 6-player 2018 class with 3 posts

Please clarify Her and She and a date of that Demling publication if possible.
Per ESPN article from June 28th : " Brown says she is now down to six schools after eliminating Tennessee: UCLA, Louisville, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Baylor and Oregon."
A later tweet from Raul (same day) said that Brown would only take 3 official visits and make a fall decision. Also not like Louisville to turn anybody away.

Reaction Score

Tough to rule out Oregon State, their coaching staff, and, Corvallis, OR. If she chooses to make an official visit to Oregon State, watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom