Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 87 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baylor became a recent power-5 to offer Makenna Marisa out of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Not even in the hoopgurlz database and unranked by prospects nation. Unusual for Baylor to offer such an under the radar prospect after signing a class thats lowest player was ranked in the 20s/30s

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Baylor became a recent power-5 to offer Makenna Marisa out of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Not even in the hoopgurlz database and unranked by prospects nation. Unusual for Baylor to offer such an under the radar prospect after signing a class thats lowest player was ranked in the 20s/30s

I noticed that as well. Here's an article from July noting other offers (Pitt, Central Florida, BC, Michigan)
Peters Township's Makenna Marisa adds basketball scholarship offer from Pitt - Trib HSSN

Here's an article from early last season on her exploits in the Western Pennsylvania league, which Sam Breen (Penn State) had dominated for years.
Peters Township junior Makenna Marisa a matchup nightmare

Maybe Kim is looking for someone who can take all those "I's" into a "we."

Reaction Score
Sam Breen played at the lowest level, 1A, for 3 years and moved up to 4A for her final. Makenna Marisa has been playing at the 6A which is a little more competitive, but the WPIAL is not competitive as a whole. Her team played North Allegheny in the championship and lost. North Allegheny beat Gilmour Academy in 17-18 and IMG with Rellah Boothe in 16-17.

Marisa is certainly a Power 5 player, but I think playing time at Baylor would be tough.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Baylor became a recent power-5 to offer Makenna Marisa out of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Not even in the hoopgurlz database and unranked by prospects nation. Unusual for Baylor to offer such an under the radar prospect after signing a class that's lowest player was ranked in the 20s/30s

Sam Breen played at the lowest level, 1A, for 3 years and moved up to 4A for her final. Makenna Marisa has been playing at the 6A which is a little more competitive, but the WPIAL is not competitive as a whole. Her team played North Allegheny in the championship and lost. North Allegheny beat Gilmour Academy in 17-18 and IMG with Rellah Boothe in 16-17.

Marisa is certainly a Power 5 player, but I think playing time at Baylor would be tough.

Thanks for your insights..are you from Western Pa?

Coach Kim must see something in Marisa that she thinks could help Baylor; otherwise, why make the offer, no? Particularly to a relatively unknown (by Baylor standards) guard?

Having said that, Baylor brings in wave after wave of top prospects and one needs to swim well before being swamped by next year's swell of recruits. Gut tells me she'll stay a little closer to home (maybe not that close....I like what Kim Barnes Arico does at Michigan.)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

My initial thought when i read this is Nina Davis? She wasn’t highly recruited and she had a great college career.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My initial thought when i read this is Nina Davis? She wasn’t highly recruited and she had a great college career.
Nina Davis was a top 50 ish recruit back in 2013. As for McKenna Marisa not yet discovered by some might be a better description than under the radar. When a player has offers from ACC school (BC) and Big10 school (Michigan) that's not under the radar to me.

Reaction Score
I am from Western PA. Lots of talk that the real offer she wanted was Notre Dame. A lot of people say she is better than Madison Cable at the high school level. She and Madison Cable’s school is in the same section. I think she would be a better fit at ND than Baylor, but it probably would’ve been coincidental rather than purposeful if Muffet was watching her.

She led her team to a win against a loaded Team Lex PBR and Marisa is the only power 5 player on her team. (Bucknell, Navy, St. Francis, and D2 IUP other starters)

Also holds Nebraska, WVU, and Washington offers.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I am from Western PA. Lots of talk that the real offer she wanted was Notre Dame. A lot of people say she is better than Madison Cable at the high school level. She and Madison Cable’s school is in the same section. I think she would be a better fit at ND than Baylor, but it probably would’ve been coincidental rather than purposeful if Muffet was watching her.

She led her team to a win against a loaded Team Lex PBR and Marisa is the only power 5 player on her team. (Bucknell, Navy, St. Francis, and D2 IUP other starters)

Once again, thanks for the context.
You'll get Irish followers' attention when you mention Maddie Cable, who is highly respected -- even revered -- for her overall contributions to the Irish.

I can say that the mention of her here is the first time I've seen her name in conjunction with any school, let alone ND. Certainly has not been brought up on McGraw's Bench.

2019 is not an optimal year to be a guard prospect interested in ND. MM and Niele Ivey recruited 3 in 2018 and have Anaya Peoples coming in 2019. Then, there's the bona fide array of guard/wing prospects in 2020 (Bueckers, Clark, Van Lith, Campbell, Parrish, etc., of which ND has interest in quite a few.

Like Coco said, sounds like she's prospect who is being discovered by more and more schools and you've listed plenty of good programs. All power to her.....

Reaction Score
Esmery Martinez has already done some more eliminating. Now down to Mississippi State, UCLA, Louisville, and USF. Eliminated South Carolina and Florida State. Still a little perplexed by her recruiting process.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Washington needs all the help they can get. No commits for '19 and I haven't seen their name being listed by very many prospects.

Reaction Score
YES! Clever idea to bring them in during freshman orientation week for UTs 5,600 new freshmen, rather than wasting a Saturday on a football game. Lots happening on campus this week that they can observe or participate in with our four new 2018 freshmen.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
best of luck with Jackson and Cooke this weekend....Horston....not so much.....:rolleyes:
Thanks. I think given that that the team has Westbrook, Hayes, and Massingill. That Cooke would be the least likely to commit. I would say Jackson is most needed. That is just my thoughts. Recruiting can be unpredictable at times.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I think given that that the team has Westbrook, Hayes, and Massingill. That Cooke would be the least likely to commit. I would say Jackson is most needed. That is just my thoughts. Recruiting can be unpredictable at times.

Well Cooke is more of a combo guard rather than a point guard. She will be like Asia Durr and Arike Ogunbowale listed as a PG in HS but will actually be a 2 at the next level. All three are very good friends and being that they all made the visit together, it’s a possibility they could end up at the same school. SC, Louisville, and Ohio State are finalists for all 3 so I wonder if they will visit SC and Louisville together (they’ve been to Ohio State).

IMO Tennessee is in pretty good shape at PG/G/W for a few years and it could potentially be a log jam if they all would commit there. Same with Louisville, they have a surplus of guards coming in and that would ultimately lead to a few players transferring. SC will have the space after this year. Graduating 4 possibly 5 players will open up a lot of space to land elite recruits. One player I really hope we get is Brea Beal. She would be an outstanding start to a great class.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I suspect (just my opinion) that Cooke and Jackson end up at the same school. May not happen but i have heard that this summer.

Reaction Score
It will be. I know Jeff has a lot of needs to fill but he already has Green & Parker committed for 2019. Adding Blackwell & Davenport that much of an upgrade? I think it was ETT-Our Baylor fan who peped us to a rumor last year that Green might reconsider her commitment and stay home in Texas. I guess this is where the Louisville recruiting philosophy gets tested.
Is Green really that good? Her ranking keeps dropping each year. Signing a lot of players has allowed Walz to miss on over-ranked players and not pay a steep price. Zambrotta #28, Cole #26, Ciera Johnson #13, B. Jones #40 in past few years gone. Instead, under-ranked Jaz Jones fit much better than Zambrotta (same class) and made Mariya Moore’s transfer painless last year.

Mariya Moore did a nice job for L’ville. She was under-ranked at #42 by HG. Hines-Allen was #34. Both big over achievers from 2014 class.
Add Arica Carter #77 to that class. If Syd Brackemyer #37 didn’t go down with a knee injury that would have been an even better class. They picked up Diop #83 from the 2014 class for her final year of eligibility from Pitt too.

2014 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW

Amazing amount of good players unranked and #40-#100 in 2014 class.
This class was so deep that 5 unranked 2014 players were picked in 2018 WNBA draft which is rare for a single unranked player to be drafted unless overseas player.
* 12 players in this group have one more year to play

#40 Zaire O’Neil Ga Tech
#41 Drkeoya Cohen Baylor
#42 Mariya Moore* L’ville, USC
#43 Adrianna Porter. MO
#44 Mikayla Venson. VA, Gtown
#46 Aliya Huland El. VA
#47 Kyaalia Hillsman. A&M
#48 Kristen Simon. USC
#49 Laura Ferreira. S. Fl
#50 Amber Campbell. WF
#52 Christa Reed. Vbilt
#52 Jamie Cherry. NC
#55 Kiara Leslie*. Md, NC St
#57 Carlie Wagner MN (WNBA pick)
#58 Natalie Romero*. Neb, Wash
#66 Alexis Jennings*. KY, S. Car
#67 Paris Kea* Vbilt, NC
#68 Katelynn Flaherty. Mich
#69 Emily Durr. Iowa St
#71 Mackenzie Engram. GA (WNBA pick)
#76 Shrita Parker*. Rutgers, UNCW
#77 Arica Carter* Lville
#82 Alexa Hart. Ohio St
#83 Yacine Diop. Pitt, Lville
#85 Alliya Butts. Temple
#87 Stasha Carey*. Pitt, Rutgers
#89 Asia Doss. Ohio St
#90 Amy Okonkwo*. USC, TCU
#91 Marte Grays. DePaul
#95 McKynzie Fort. San Diego St
#96 Vionise Pierre-Louis. OK
#98 Lauren Moses. VA
#99 Makayla Waterman*. Ohio St
UR Cierra Dillard* Buffalo

Unranked selected in 2018 draft:
Loryn Goodwyn (2nd rd)
Kahlia Lawrence (2nd rd)
Jill Barta (3rd rd)
Leslie Robinson (3rd rd)
Amarah Coleman (3rd rd)

Not a stretch for Alexis Jennings and Paris Kea to not only be drafted but stick and have WNBA careers. Cierra Dillard (unranked) and Kiara Leslie #55 also have a shot at being drafted if not making a team.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well Cooke is more of a combo guard rather than a point guard. She will be like Asia Durr and Arike Ogunbowale listed as a PG in HS but will actually be a 2 at the next level. All three are very good friends and being that they all made the visit together, it’s a possibility they could end up at the same school. SC, Louisville, and Ohio State are finalists for all 3 so I wonder if they will visit SC and Louisville together (they’ve been to Ohio State).

IMO Tennessee is in pretty good shape at PG/G/W for a few years and it could potentially be a log jam if they all would commit there. Same with Louisville, they have a surplus of guards coming in and that would ultimately lead to a few players transferring. SC will have the space after this year. Graduating 4 possibly 5 players will open up a lot of space to land elite recruits. One player I really hope we get is Brea Beal. She would be an outstanding start to a great class.
Thanks for the clarification on Cooke. Yes Tennessee has guards this year. Jackson does leave after the season. So there is another spot open.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Esmery Martinez has committed to Mississippi State. The third commit for their class with one more open scholarship

If they land Jackson then my interest will really turn up.. seems like everybody and their mama wants to go to Starkville these days so I’m not putting it out of the realm of possibility.

Reaction Score
Jackson would be a HUGE get for them and I think she would thrive in Vic’s system. Maori Davenport is a huge target for them too. Both are program changers.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Kiersten Bell has committed to Ohio State today. I believe CocoHusky called this awhile ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom