Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
A Demling guess is typically an educated one; sounds like the Louisville staff thinks it impressed on Smith's official visit.
I would agree. All indications are that we think (for some very good reason) we are one of the two schools she is between.

On another completely different note, it is my Boneyard Birthday today. 6 years today. How about that? Happy Boneyard Birthday to me! For your all's part, which is 99.99999999% of it, thanks for making the Boneyard a place for fans of all teams. Obviously, it is Husky dedicated, but you all are quite welcoming.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith's recruitment has been interesting to follow. A little over a year ago, South Carolina wasn't even a school she had listed in her Top 15 or so. But, then Dawn Staley and her staff had an in-home visit with her and her family in San Antonio last September.

In April, one week after USC wins the national championship, she makes her first official visit to South Carolina.

I forget when exactly, but she tweeted that she would make a verbal commitment on August 28 (which is her brother's birthday). I've often wondered why a recruit publicly schedules a time so far in advance (of NSD) to commit, especially when they haven't even made all their official visits. But ,that implies she will have to take any additional official visits during the summer.

A few weeks later, ESPN reports that NaLyssa has a Top 4 leaderboard of Baylor, South Carolina, Ohio State and Louisville, but still has an additional 5 schools in consideration; seems like most schools not in her Top 4 got the hint and moved on.

May, June, and July go by, and no additional official visits taken by NaLyssa. Just my opinion, but it sure seemed like USC was the leader.

Finally, come August, it is reported that NaLyssa would take official visits to Ohio State, Louisville, and Baylor in consecutive weeks. She also postpones her announcement date from August 28 to September 1. Again, it just surprises me that recruits feel the need to paint themselves into a corner as to when to make their decision public. She has plenty of time to decide prior the Fall NSD or Spring NSD period, especially if she is torn between two schools.

I will be shocked if Ohio State is her choice; surprised they even made her Top 4.

Louisville and Waltz have been known to pull off some major coups in recruiting elite players; so, won't discount them.

Baylor is a school with which she is very familiar; has attended many games there; and, two hours' drive from home.

But, I've always thought she was enamored with Dawn Staley and South Carolina. Anyone who has ever seen her twitter page knows that she has been retweeting South Carolina stuff for months. They are my pick for her choice tonight.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Had you asked me before the month of August I would've said South Carolina.

But now, I'm thinking Louisville. I think Louisville made a major impact on Smith during their visit and Walz is a phenomenal recruiter. Louisville and Ohio State have both recently won recruiting battles vs. SC.. Louisville with Sydney Zambrotta and Ohio State with Tori McCoy and Jensen Caretti. All had SC in their top 5.

I'm not sure the trend stops today. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Had you asked me before the month of August I would've said South Carolina.

But now, I'm thinking Louisville. I think Louisville made a major impact on Smith during their visit and Walz is a phenomenal recruiter. Louisville and Ohio State have both recently won recruiting battles vs. SC.. Louisville with Sydney Zambrotta and Ohio State with Tori McCoy and Jensen Caretti. All had SC in their top 5.

I'm not sure the trend stops today. We'll see.

Let's not think negatively, I believe Dawn will surprise a lot of us by the end of the day. Smith knows her options and each system she could thrive in. I think we have a fairly good chance. I can't discount Baylor or Louisville. Walz and Mulkey are great recruiters. Dawn also lost a battle to Baylor with Cara Ursin. But this time I think she wins. I just have a strong feeling about smith! I'm also glad we lost those battles to Ohio St and Louisville. Caretti is less than impressive and rode the bench for an average team, while McCoy had a good freshman year but even they couldn't keep her. The same with Zambrotta, she rode the bench for a less then impressive team and I felt as thought she wouldn't fit into our system. I'm on pins and needles waiting on Smith's committment and I hope it's GamecockNation :D

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith = Kelsey Bone

That just means she'll sign with South Carolina, but then transfer to a school back in Texas . . . ;-)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith = Kelsey Bone

That just means she'll sign with South Carolina, but then transfer to a school back in Texas . . . ;-)

So what you're saying is... we have a year to convince her to stay? :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Top 10 recruit NaLyssa Smith (6-2 F, Texas) will be announcing her decision tomorrow evening. I haven't followed Smith's recruitment too closely but it seems many believe the choice will be between South Carolina and Baylor with many favoring South Carolina. Interesting that Jody Demling, who covers Louisville sports and gets information from the Louisville staff, reports that Smith is torn between 2 schools and he believes the two schools are Louisville and Baylor. She'll announce tomorrow evening.

Smith is a bit taller than 6-2 at this point, sometimes reported as 6-4 and sometimes reported as 6-3. Regardless of her height, she is going to have a super career and will make an immediate impact for some team. She has been at many Baylor events over the years and has developed quite a relationship with the Baylor family. I hope that the long-time relationship play in our favor but it doesn't always.

I would love to see her on the court with Cox and Brown for a year. Then Cox can move to the 5 when Brown graduates and Smith can take over the 4.

I guess we will know very soon. I had always thought that it would come down to S. Carolina or Baylor and I would not be surprised to commit to the Gamecocks.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere has announced her list of 14 schools and one of them is UConn. Strangely enough, have heard nothing of prior UConn interest.

Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere has announced her list of 14 schools and one of them is UConn. Strangely enough, have heard nothing of prior UConn interest.

Me either but she is a raw but special talent that could simply take off in the right (see UConn) coaching environment

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Congrats to NaLyssa! As much as it sucks that she won't be suiting up for the Gamecocks I can't help but wish her nothing but success. Great personality and a great player who was already well on her way to becoming a fan favorite at SC.... she just has IT.

I hope Baylor fans are excited because they just landed a great talent.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I have a feeling she may not be leaving Texas but we shall see

Hmmm. With NaLyssa Smith choosing Baylor, will another post want to choose to go to the same place? Given what we've seen at various programs the past year(s), stocking up leads to hasta prontos/luegos later. Baylor, of course, is a prominent example.

FSU has River Baldwin committed in 2019, but that school has been pistol hot on the recruiting front recently. And the national runners-up show they like to have a long post to back things up. Still, your point about Texas is a good one....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting! Lot of recognizable names there. Arieal Scott had dropped under my radar after de-committing from Duke, but she's obviously still filling it up. And I'm just a big Caitlin Clark fan..got some quiet confidence, even swagger, there which you don't at first expect. She's going to help someone big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom