Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does Nalyssa have a sibling that isn't all that great but would like to be on the team anyway to go along with one or more parents who want to be asst.coaches.Then Ohio State is just the place to accomodate her and they can all sing along with the 1979 Pirate baseball team:"We are famileeeee".

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Nalyssa Smith's recruitment is winding down. I believe she had originally planned to announce her verbal commitment on August 28th (her brother's birthday); that told me that she would have completed her official visits during the summer.

But, after having taken only one official visit to South Carolina back in April one week after they won the national title, thing went pretty quite with no other official visits. To me, it sure seemed to indicate that South Carolina was the frontrunner. And, she sure does tweet and retweet all about the Gamecocks.

Just a couple of weeks ago, she pushes out her commitment date a few days to Friday, September 1. Perhaps that is to have some type of assembly at her high school.

Yesterday, someone tweets that she is reportedly on her official visit to Ohio State. That leaves two weeks for possible official visits to Louisville and Baylor. Mulkey works hard to ensure she gets the last official visit, so I'm assuming she'll be at Baylor last. For all we know, she could schedule her official visit to Baylor the weekend of September 1 (which basically ends any suspense as that is supposed to be her announcement date).

I will be shocked if chooses anyone other than South Carolina or Baylor. Just my opinion, but she seems enamored with Staley and USC. Reminds me of Kelsey Bone's recruitment.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Its official.

I actually thought Cal-Berkeley was a real threat; but, with DeCosta replacing the Bears with Southern Cal (who has a new head coach), I'm convinced she will be heading out of state for college.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I actually thought Cal-Berkeley was a real threat; but, with DeCosta replacing the Bears with Southern Cal (who has a new head coach), I'm convinced she will be heading out of state for college.
I think it will depend on the visits. What team that does get her. That team gets a really talented player.

Reaction Score
For purely selfish reasons I would love for her to matriculate at Ohio State......I'm sure she will succeed
despite the mediocre coaching.she just won't be as much of a threat to UConn under KM's tutelage

Well what's your definition of success being coached by KM? Maryland landed some good recruits in 2018 and adds Owusu in 2019 so I'm sure they will continue to win the B1G for some years to come. You think she could become another Kelsey Mitchell and just focus on breaking scoring records instead of focusing on National championships?

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

If you don't see similarities to Parker in this video then idk what your seeing. The kid shot 60% from behind the arc this summer, what centers do you know shoots the ball that well in HS, College, or WNBA?? She grabs defensive rebounds and pushes the ball up the court for a layup on the other end like you saw in the video. What 6'4" players do you know has the skill set to do that other then Candace Parker or Breanna Stewart?? She is certainly not a center but a true athletic stretch 4.

Seeing that you are from the mecca of intelligent thinking, the great state of South Carolina, I will defer to your supremacy.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

If you don't see similarities to Parker in this video then idk what your seeing. The kid shot 60% from behind the arc this summer, what centers do you know shoots the ball that well in HS, College, or WNBA?? She grabs defensive rebounds and pushes the ball up the court for a layup on the other end like you saw in the video. What 6'4" players do you know has the skill set to do that other then Candace Parker or Breanna Stewart?? She is certainly not a center but a true athletic stretch 4.

Wasn't Wilson also going to be a 3? Wasn't she the second coming of Candice Parker?

Don't get me wrong, I think Smith is THE catch of this class. And I love that she can grab a rebound and haul ass down the court. I remember seeing Vicki Baugh at a USA camp in Colorado Springs and thinking the same thing about her. But there is a big difference in grabbing a rebound and streaking down court and playing PG, which Parker has the ability to do. I guarantee you that you will never see Smith bringing the ball down from the PG position.

But you have convinced me that she is certainly capable of doing more than playing the 5 and that I had pigeonholed her into that position based on what I had seen of her in the past. But will she ever be a 1, 2 or 3? No.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think she would look great in Orange.

We;'
Nalyssa Smith's recruitment is winding down. I believe she had originally planned to announce her verbal commitment on August 28th (her brother's birthday); that told me that she would have completed her official visits during the summer.

But, after having taken only one official visit to South Carolina back in April one week after they won the national title, thing went pretty quite with no other official visits. To me, it sure seemed to indicate that South Carolina was the frontrunner. And, she sure does tweet and retweet all about the Gamecocks.

Just a couple of weeks ago, she pushes out her commitment date a few days to Friday, September 1. Perhaps that is to have some type of assembly at her high school.

Yesterday, someone tweets that she is reportedly on her official visit to Ohio State. That leaves two weeks for possible official visits to Louisville and Baylor. Mulkey works hard to ensure she gets the last official visit, so I'm assuming she'll be at Baylor last. For all we know, she could schedule her official visit to Baylor the weekend of September 1 (which basically ends any suspense as that is supposed to be her announcement date).

I will be shocked if chooses anyone other than South Carolina or Baylor. Just my opinion, but she seems enamored with Staley and USC. Reminds me of Kelsey Bone's recruitment.

If Baylor wants to continue to compete with UT over the next few years, KM better land Smith and Queen Egbo. The combo of Holmes and Boothe scares the bejeebers out of me. I feel good about Baylor's guard play with Chou, Morris, Richards and Ursin, but once Kalani Brown graduates there is going to be a great need for a big to fill the middle. I see Cox as a 4 for most of her career, although she can play the 5 if necessary. But I think she will be more productive at the 4.

If Aston can learn to maximize the talent she has, UT could be one of the few teams that could challenge UCONN. Looking at that roster, there is some serious AA talent (10) at her disposal: Holmes, Boothe, McCarty, Atkins, Patterson, White, Sutton, Littleton, Hosey and Higgs. IMO, UT should probably start the season at the number 2 spot in the rankings. And a win over UT in Austin could propel them to the number 1 spot.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Wilson also going to be a 3? Wasn't she the second coming of Candice Parker?

Don't get me wrong, I think Smith is THE catch of this class. And I love that she can grab a rebound and haul ass down the court. I remember seeing Vicki Baugh at a USA camp in Colorado Springs and thinking the same thing about her. But there is a big difference in grabbing a rebound and streaking down court and playing PG, which Parker has the ability to do. I guarantee you that you will never see Smith bringing the ball down from the PG position.

But you have convinced me that she is certainly capable of doing more than playing the 5 and that I had pigeonholed her into that position based on what I had seen of her in the past. But will she ever be a 1, 2 or 3? No.

Apparently reading is detrimental to you because I never said she was going to be the "Second coming" of Parker nor did I say she was going to be a Wing or 3 in college. I stated she has similarities to Parker and that she could slide to the 3 in certain situations. Yes smith will play some 5 but she's a natural 4 with guard skills. Did I also mention Nalyssa shot 60% from three this AAU season?? She's a very versatile player and really hope she commits to Dawn.

Reaction Score
Man, you guys sure are tough on KMs on this board.

He's good at gathering talent but from what I've observed his teams rarely play great defense and offensively they can be rather inconsistent......just another coach that does too little with what he has to work with...........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We;'

If Baylor wants to continue to compete with UT over the next few years, KM better land Smith and Queen Egbo. The combo of Holmes and Boothe scares the bejeebers out of me. I feel good about Baylor's guard play with Chou, Morris, Richards and Ursin, but once Kalani Brown graduates there is going to be a great need for a big to fill the middle. I see Cox as a 4 for most of her career, although she can play the 5 if necessary. But I think she will be more productive at the 4.

If Aston can learn to maximize the talent she has, UT could be one of the few teams that could challenge UCONN. Looking at that roster, there is some serious AA talent (10) at her disposal: Holmes, Boothe, McCarty, Atkins, Patterson, White, Sutton, Littleton, Hosey and Higgs. IMO, UT should probably start the season at the number 2 spot in the rankings. And a win over UT in Austin could propel them to the number 1 spot.
In your last sentence, is the UT to which you are referring the University of Tennessee?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Before the injury what separated ONO and propelled her to #1 in the class is her mobility. She is also a very quick and explosive leaper.

ONO's stock really rose after her play in the U17 2016 World Championship. Team USA won the bronze medal and, as I recall, ONO was Team USA's best player. I didn't watch any of those games so I'm relying on message board posts and stats. ONO led (barely) in scoring (12 pp.) and rebounds (9.4 rpg).

It appears that some US colleges are recruiting an Australian post player, Ezi Macbegor, who played in that tournament and who played for the Gems in the recent U19 World Championship and was the team's leading scorer (16 ppg). Australia lost in the U19 semis to Russia and, not surprisingly, Macbegor struggled against (was dominated by) the older, more experienced Russian post player Vadeeva who scored 28 points and grabbed 14 rebounds.

One of the schools recruiting Macbegor (c/o 2018 I believe) is Tennessee. I've been told and have since confirmed that there are Vol fans claiming Macbegor would be the #1 player in 2018 because she "dominated" ONO, Janelle Bailey and Team USA. I have no doubt that Macbegor is a very good player but does anyone remember her dominating ONO and Bailey in the U17 world championships? Yes, Australia did defeat Team USA in the semis but I'm looking at the box score and I don't see any evidence of domination. ONO had 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in that game and, from what I'm told, outplayed Macbegor in the 2nd half. Bailey scored 10 points and grabbed 11 boards. Macbegor scored 10 points, grabbed 10 boards and had 4 blocks. Is there another international game that I'm missing here? Are the stats lying and was ONO actually "dominated" by Macbegor?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ONO's stock really rose after her play in the U17 2016 World Championship. Team USA won the bronze medal and, as I recall, ONO was Team USA's best player. I didn't watch any of those games so I'm relying on message board posts and stats. ONO led (barely) in scoring (12 pp.) and rebounds (9.4 rpg).

It appears that some US colleges are recruiting an Australian post player, Ezi Macbegor, who played in that tournament and who played for the Gems in the recent U19 World Championship and was the team's leading scorer (16 ppg). Australia lost in the U19 semis to Russia and, not surprisingly, Macbegor struggled against (was dominated by) the older, more experienced Russian post player Vadeeva who scored 28 points and grabbed 14 rebounds.

One of the schools recruiting Macbegor (c/o 2018 I believe) is Tennessee. I've been told and have since confirmed that there are Vol fans claiming Macbegor would be the #1 player in 2018 because she "dominated" ONO, Janelle Bailey and Team USA. I have no doubt that Macbegor is a very good player but does anyone remember her dominating ONO and Bailey in the U17 world championships? Yes, Australia did defeat Team USA in the semis but I'm looking at the box score and I don't see any evidence of domination. ONO had 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in that game and, from what I'm told, outplayed Macbegor in the 2nd half. Bailey scored 10 points and grabbed 11 boards. Macbegor scored 10 points, grabbed 10 boards and had 4 blocks. Is there another international game that I'm missing here? Are the stats lying and was ONO actually "dominated" by Macbegor?
She definitely dominated Bailey but not ONO.
The full game can be seen here. .
Funny how that works the player that TN is recruiting "automatically" becomes #1. How ONO recovers is TBD but Macbegor would not be ahead of a healthy ONO IMO.

Reaction Score

Another big time pickup by Brenda Frese and Maryland. Young is the fourth point guard in a three year span. 2017 Lewis; 2018 Mikesell; 2019 Owusu & Young.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks @CocoHusky. Some Tennessee fans making stuff up again.

I watched all but the last 2 minutes of the game and I didn't see any domination by Macbegor. She's obviously a good player (reminds me of Mompremier) but she certainly didn't dominate ONO and I don't think she dominated Bailey either. ONO had foul trouble in the 1st half and came back to play very well in the 2nd. Macbegor had foul trouble in the 2nd half and eventually fouled out with 10/10.

ONO is a string bean but she has quite a motor. I hope her knee recovers completely.

The only domination I saw in the game was the Australian guards dominating the US guards. Australia's leading scorer was Jaz Shelley who scored 23 points. Shelley scored 26 points against Russia in the recent U19 championships. She's an Aussie to keep an eye on.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score

Nalyssa Smith will be visiting Louisville this weekend.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Thanks. That most likely means that Baylor will get the last official visit.

According to a tweet I saw, Bayor is getting DeCosta's last OV. The good news is they will not be together as Smith has said she will decide long before DeCosta's visit is scheduled.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
According to a tweet I saw, Bayor is getting DeCosta's last OV. The good news is they will not be together as Smith has said she will decide long before DeCosta's visit is scheduled.
And, it proves how effective Kim Mulkey is at securing a recruit's last official visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom