Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 120 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm biased and hope Cailtin Clark picks Oregon State. Immediate playing time might be somewhat limited for her as a freshman (2020-2021 season) but she would be able to learn directly from 2 of the best point guards in seniors Destiny Slocum and underrated Aleah Goodman.
Isn't Slocum WNBA eligible this upcoming draft (2019)?

Reaction Score
Isn't Slocum WNBA eligible this upcoming draft (2019)?
Slocum is a sophomore for basketball purposes, but a junior for academic purposes. I don't know for certain if she is eligible for the 2019 draft, but she might be. There has not been any talk of her leaving early, but I could see that changing next season after her junior year of basketball, senior year as a student. Of course if she did leave after her junior year, that would free up a lot more court time for Clark as a freshman if she chose Oregon State.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Slocum is a sophomore for basketball purposes, but a junior for academic purposes. I don't know for certain if she is eligible for the 2019 draft, but she might be. There has not been any talk of her leaving early, but I could see that changing next season after her junior year of basketball, senior year as a student. Of course if she did leave after her junior year, that would free up a lot more court time for Clark as a freshman if she chose Oregon State.
She is WNBA 2019 eligible. This FIBA site list her Birthday as 09 September 1997. The WNBA criteria is to turn 22 in the year the draft is conducted.
Destiny Dawn SLOCUM at the FIBA U19 Women’s World Championship 2015 - FIBA.basketball

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting take on Caitlin Clark by Prospects Nation's Brandon Clay. He attended Caitlin's Dowling Catholic vs. Iowa City game last week.

It was an eye-catcher (for this Irish fan) to note the current collegiate player he compares Caitlin to:

"Caitlin Clark has a game and style that reminds me of current Indiana Univ. (and former Notre Dame) point guard Ali Patberg during her senior year of high school.

"Ranked No. 6 overall in the Class of 2020, Clark is a competitor first and foremost. That's her elite skill set based on what I saw during this high-level, high-school match-up against the state’s No. 1 team Iowa City. Less than 20 hours after dropping 46 against local rival, Ankeny, Clark was right back in her bag finishing with 35 points in a tough win.

"When I look at Patberg's stat line from the 2018-19 (college) season, I see a lot of what I would project from Clark along the way: 15.4 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 80 percent from the free-throw line, 33 percent from behind the arc."

Full article below...he also reviews Aubrey Joens (Iowa state commit and Iowa attack teammate of Clark's) and Rose Nkumu, another 2020 prospect.

Clark, Joens, Nkumu Shine | Prospects Nation

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Interesting take on Caitlin Clark by Prospects Nation's Brandon Clay. He attended Caitlin's Dowling Catholic vs. Iowa City last week.

It was an eye-catcher (for this Irish fan) to note the current collegiate player he compares Caitlin to:

"Caitlin Clark has a game and style that reminds me of current Indiana Univ. (and former Notre Dame) point guard Ali Patberg during her senior year of high school.

"Ranked No. 6 overall in the Class of 2020, Clark is a competitor first and foremost. That's her elite skill set based on what I saw during this high-level, high-school match-up against the state’s No. 1 team Iowa City. Less than 20 hours after dropping 46 against local rival, Ankeny, Clark was right back in her bag finishing with 35 points in a tough win.

"When I look at Patberg's stat line from the 2018-19 (college) season, I see a lot of what I would project from Clark along the way: 15.4 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 80 percent from the free-throw line, 33 percent from behind the arc."

Full article below...he also reviews Aubrey Joens (Iowa state commit and Iowa attack teammate of Clark's) and Rose Nkumu, another 2020 prospect.

Clark, Joens, Nkumu Shine | Prospects Nation

To me, she sounds like a certain guard at Oregon.:)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You're telling me that Duncanville was recruiting? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!

And here I thought all of these D-1 players just happened to grow up in this particular school district. :rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone in Texas HS basketball knew they were recruiting, it's just only now that someone with an axe to grind presented proof.

Reaction Score
Here's the ESPNw story on that resignation. The accusation from Ms. Guster's mother is covered towards to bottom part of the story. BTW, the illegal transfers that are referred to are said to include Point Guard Deja Kelly, who came over from San Antonio.

Legendary coach Cathy Self-Morgan resigns amid accusations of recruiting violations

Can’t believe Gusters mother would do such a thing considering the fact that Hannah and Deja are (not sure if that’s the case anymore) close friends. They played AAU together for geybl Pro Skills. Guess that’s why she left for MacArthur to play with Sarah Andrews (another friend of Gusters and Kelly).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

And here I thought all of these D-1 players just happened to grow up in this particular school district. :rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone in Texas HS basketball knew they were recruiting, it's just only now that someone with an axe to grind presented proof.

I really doubt they were the only ones doing this in Texas...............it sure goes on in NJ, I can assure you of that

Dillon77

Reaction Score

When you pull out the axe (or a knife), make sure you know how to use it and make sure it's sharp (and I'm just referring to my adventures in woodworking ;) ).

Plebe

Reaction Score
Whoa. The downfall of a giant. Duncanville has been a powerhouse in girls' HS basketball for as long as I can remember, even before CSM started there. And she was very successful at Austin Westlake before that.

It's undeniable that recruiting happens ALL THE TIME in high school sports. I'm not saying that to justify it, nor am I advocating a change in the rules. But failing to acknowledge the real-world fact would be willful ignorance.

Very interesting tweet by Ariel Atkins:

Reaction Score
As you know I've been on the Rayah bandwagon for quite some time now. 6"3 with PG skill was what first got my attention. She reminds me of the healthy version of Vicki Baugh.

Here she faces off with another top southern cal sophomore. The guy calling the game says she's 6'1 but she does look taller to me I'm guessing 6'3.

Reaction Score
South Carolina Athletics Granted NCAA Waiver Request - University of South Carolina Athletics

South Carolina Athletics Granted NCAA Waiver Request

Women's Basketball Could Host NCAA Tourney in Charlotte

The University of South Carolina has been granted a waiver by the NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee to host the 2019 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament First & Second Rounds in Charlotte, should the Gamecocks receive a top-16 seed in the tournament, Athletics Director Ray Tanner announced today.

South Carolina plans to host its tournament games at Halton Arena, on the campus of UNC Charlotte. The 9,100-seat arena hosts Charlotte 49er home men's and women's basketball games during the season.

"I am appreciative to the NCAA Women's Basketball Committee for granting this waiver request and for Charlotte Athletics Director Mike Hill and his staff for opening up Halton Arena for our women's basketball program for the opportunity to host NCAA Tournament first and second round games if designated," said Tanner.

Huge IMO especially if we’re placed in Greensboro.

Reaction Score
Can’t believe Gusters mother would do such a thing considering the fact that Hannah and Deja are (not sure if that’s the case anymore) close friends. They played AAU together for geybl Pro Skills. Guess that’s why she left for MacArthur to play with Sarah Andrews (another friend of Gusters and Kelly).

So let me get this straight. Gusters transfers high schools in the middle of the season and is deemed not eligible because it was for athletics reasons. And because she is not eligible, her mother speaks out to a Dallas newspaper saying she has text messages saying Duncanville recruited? Scorched earth approach? What is her goal here? The transfer and the mothers actions are red flags to me.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. Gusters transfers high schools in the middle of the season and is deemed not eligible because it was for athletics reasons. And because she is not eligible, her mother speaks out to a Dallas newspaper saying she has text messages saying Duncanville recruited? Scorched earth approach? What is her goal here? The transfer and the mothers actions are red flags to me.
Did CSM have Texas’ athletics look into Hannah's transfer?...maybe her mother is just retaliation, and this is how she chose to go about it

Plebe

Reaction Score
Did CSM have Texas’ athletics look into Hannah's transfer?...maybe her mother is just retaliation, and this is how she chose to go about it
I gathered from the first article I read that the info about recruiting at Duncanville surfaced somewhat happenstance In the testimony at the UIL hearings about Gusters’ transfer to Irving MacArthur.

There could be some retaliation involved. If CSM actively opposed the transfer, that obviously creates a motive to air her dirty laindry, if there is any.

Reaction Score

Not sure of her intentions but that left a bad taste in my mouth that she tried to sabotage a coach and a player simply out of spite due to her Daughters misfortune. It seems shady to me and she’s trying to bring everyone else down just so Hannah can get ahead. Not smart on her end IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom