Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 119 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So she’s down to her final 3 @SaraBejedi Top ranked PG from Finland set to announce her final decision soon

DyLk5NLXcAAuwQZ.jpg

FSU is certainly in need of a point guard!

Reaction Score
Would be a great fit at Baylor, her ability to stretch the floor with that consistent 3 point shot is much needed.

Good looking prospect

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Top 2020 PG Prospect Caitlin Clark went off for 60 points and 13 three-pointers in a 90-78 win over Mason City. Here's some "tape." If memory holds, she had just scored a career high 30-something in January, so she's shooting more, for sure. (Thanks to MPG on McGraw's Bench for alerting me to this...)

Reaction Score
Top 2020 PG Prospect Caitlin Clark went off for 60 points and 13 three-pointers in a 90-78 win over Mason City. Here's some "tape." If memory holds, she had just scored a career high 30-something in January, so she's shooting more, for sure. (Thanks to MPG on McGraw's Bench for alerting me to this...)

Nice quick release. Something all shooters should be working on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Uhm...Why are we posting Caitlin Clark highlights in a Non-UCONN recruiting thread!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Uhm...Why are we posting Caitlin Clark highlights in a Non-UCONN recruiting thread!

I don't follow the day-to-day of the UConn recruiting thread. Has Geno been to see her?

My observation is that the list of schools that features on her social media is Oregon, Oregon State, ND, Iowa, Iowa State, Creighton, and Drake. Obviously, there is a local connection to the last 4.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't follow the day-to-day of the UConn recruiting thread. Has Geno been to see her?
My observation is that the list of schools that features on her social media is Oregon, Oregon State, ND, Iowa, Iowa State, Creighton, and Drake. Obviously, there is a local connection to the last 4.
UCONN has two confirmed offers to guards Hailey and Paige in this class. However.... the UCONN evaluations continue. For example Nika Muhl a combo guard was linked to UCONN recently ( last month), hard for me to believe that UCONN would be looking towards Croatia with out revisiting a talent like Clark.
To the best of my recollection UCONN last saw Clark at USA basketball trials this past summer when she had an hand injury that prevented her from making the team. @Charliebball please save the key strokes and DON'Tsuggest that UCONN should get a third offer out there.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
UCONN has two confirmed offers to guards Hailey and Paige in this class. However.... the UCONN evaluations continue. For example Nika Muhl a combo guard was linked to UCONN recently ( last month), hard for me to believe that UCONN would be looking towards Croatia with out revisiting a talent like Clark.
To the best of my recollection UCONN last saw Clark at USA basketball trials this past summer when she had an hand injury that prevented her from making the team. @Charliebball please save the key strokes and DON'Tsuggest that UCONN should get a third offer out there.

As the offending party :eek: , thanks to my Simian colleague and you for these explanations. Outside of mutual respect for Ms. Clark's game, I've never seen her mentioned as one who has "mutual respect" with the UConn brain trust (those that get paid to run the team, that is ;)) . And Orangutan has kept us posted on Clark's interest.

I was pondering putting her on the UConn board, but thought this would be safer for now. Sixty points and 13 threes has to get posted somewhere!

Lastly, if UConn and ND want to both pursue Paige B and UConn is after Hailey Van Lith, well, ND is more than happy to pursue the Iowa sharpshooter!

Reaction Score

no why bother, I'm sure UConn's getting both of them............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Why wasn't anybody guarding Clark? I will give you that she did create room a couple of times, but the defense as a whole could have been better.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why wasn't anybody guarding Clark? I will give you that she did create room a couple of times, but the defense as a whole could have been better.

It's high school. Naturally, as one of the 5 or so best players in the country, she is way better than the competition and has no trouble getting her shot off.

My analysis of each made shot in the video
1. Defense gets a hand up
2. Defense gets a hand up
3. Defender respects threat of drive in transition so Clark pulls up and adds a stepback to create space.
4. Defense gets a hand up, but half a step late
5. Defender is late rotating over when Clark enters her section of the zone.
6. Pull up in transition, defender has to respect the drive.
7. Finds the seam in the zone and she's about 3 feet behind arc. Hard for a zone to extend that far.
8. Defender is sprinting to keep up and Clark pulls up
9. Contested stepback with two defenders on her.
10. Defender switches off for a second and Clark cuts to get open. Closeout is late.
11. Another transiton pull up. #50 was on skates throughout this clip and Clark made the most of it.
12. Freezes the defender with the shot fake and dribbles herself into open 3.
13. Defender gets hung up on a good screen and Clark pulls the trigger immediately upon catching it.

To my eyes, here really weren't any where she was just standing wide open for a catch-and-shoot.

It wasn't perfect defense but you'll see late closeouts or missed rotations in every game you watch. What's special is how adept Clark is at making the defense pay for their mistakes.

It's also cool that she did this in a competitive game where her team needed the points.

Reaction Score
Thank you O for your analysis. That was a lot of work. I just had the impression from the clip that the defense could have been better. I agree she had no wide-open standing shots like the player in the foreground of the clip, who didn't get the ball. I think #31.

Reaction Score
Well, just when you thought Oregon State couldn't get any bigger, they just did. They added yet another 6'9" player. So, these gals must not mind all the competition they will get on the team to play the 4 and 5 spots. It will be interesting to see if they all stay after next season. Obviously they believe Scott Rueck is the "post whisperer" as someone else on this forum called him. I can't disagree, as Grymek has made huge strides this year, and continues to improve. Too bad for her she only got 2 years to develop under Scott. I find it hard to believe that Oregon State's team next year won't be tallest college women's team ever. So maybe Rueck really does think 6'6" McDonald's AA Kennedy Brown can effectively play the 3.

p.s. Obviously Rueck likes to be near people he can look up to :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
p.s. Obviously Rueck likes to be near people he can look up to :)
Scott Rueck looks up to a lot of people. I think he might have started coaching women because he thought he would be taller than his players, but little did he know. :) I think the only player on his team he does not have to look up to is Destiny Slocum. :oops:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Oregon attracting recruits from all over these days:

Apparently, she lives across the river from Cincinnati in northern Kentucky and currently appears to be rated 25th (or so) by both Hoopgurlz and Prospects Nation.

She ventured down to UCLA on the left coast as well and has been to a plethora of other schools, including Missouri, Indiana, Duke, North Carolina. According to a summer '18 website, more than a dozen D1 offers including Tennessee, Oregon, Kentucky, Louisville, Georgia, Indiana and others.

Amazing how ND's huge recruiting event that brought in a number of top 2020 and 2021 guard prospects focuses who you look at. With Paige Bueckers, Caitlin Clark and Allison Campbell attending "Recruitapalooza," never spent that much time getting to know her. Looks like a tall, tough combo guard. Will be interesting to see where she ends up.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Following up on these exchanges, here's an Iowa-based article on Ms. Clark that came out after this game:
"She’s undecided on where she’ll attend college, but when she does choose, she’ll have plenty of options: essentially every relevant school, with the exception of UConn, has offered her a scholarship. "

Lots of interesting lines that could serve as hints (or just might be tidbits):

- "I think one of the most important things is, I want to play right away, so going somewhere where I can be an impact right away,” she told the Ames Tribune.

- “I am seriously considering them and I think it aligns with my faith well,” Clark said about Notre Dame, a Catholic school in Indiana. “The school part of it is a big deal..."

- "...she’s likely to make her anticipated decision after her final season with the (AAU Iowa) Attack this summer, but before her senior season at Dowling (High School)."

- “Being on the national scale,” she said of what she’s most anticipating in college. “TV games and things like that. Big crowds. That’s the stuff you grow up watching, so that’s what you dream of.”

Full article: Girls' Basketball: Coveted Caitlin Clark considering national powers, local colleges

(Tip of the hat to MPG at McGraw's Bench)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wasn't too bad with my speculated list. The list in this article is basically the same. Just subtract Creighton and add Texas instead.

Top programs like Oregon, Oregon State, Texas and defending national champion Notre Dame are all vying for the services of Clark, but local schools such as Iowa State, Iowa and Drake are also in consideration.

If I'm handicapping, I suspect it comes down to Oregon or Notre Dame unless she decides she wants to stay at home. Not totally ruling out Oregon State but I've noticed that she admires Kelly Graves and Sabrina Ionescu. Oregon is surely looking for a star guard to keep them elite after Sabrina departs and I think the immediate playing time would be there.

I think the faith-based pull of ND is more real with Clark than it is with most of the players ND recruits.

At ND, she would be joining a guard group that includes Nixon, Gilbert, and Peoples at the 1 and 2 positions (counting Campbell and Prohaska as 3s). I don't know if she would start right away but I think she would be in the rotation right away for sure. Her shooting alone would be valuable from day 1.

Reaction Score
I'm biased and hope Cailtin Clark picks Oregon State. Immediate playing time might be somewhat limited for her as a freshman (2020-2021 season) but she would be able to learn directly from 2 of the best point guards in seniors Destiny Slocum and underrated Aleah Goodman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom