Non UConn College WBB News | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sometimes, it's a small world and basketball is somewhat responsible for that...

My colleague on McGraw's Bench, Baba Ghanouj, is running a set of ND-related quizzes based on last year's 2017-18 season and one was on who played the most on the Irish last year, given it's shortened roster. The answer was Jackie Young, who played 34.7 minutes per game (mpg), even with a broken nose for much of the season.
(Arike Ogunbowale and Marina Mabrey were right behind.)

Baba then asked how Jackie's mpg compared to others in the NCAA and the answer was pretty wild:
She ranked 188th, i.e. there were 187 other players who averaged more than her 34.4 minutes per game. By the way, the player with the highest mpg -- Indiana's Tyra Buss -- ranked #1 with 40 minutes per game. Actually a tad more than 40 mpg, which means she also played OT.

Now, the world starts getting more focused:
- Buss played her HS ball at Mount Carmel, on the Illini side of the Indiana-Illinois border. Her HS rival was Princeton, in Indiana, led by one Jackie Young. The high schools are 13 miles apart. The last time they played when Buss and Young were both in the lineups, more than 4,000 people packed the gym.

- Buss and Young also played for the same AAU team.

- They consider each other friends. This video says "best friends."

- In the spring of 2018, Buss' Indiana Team won the WNIT one day before Jackie Young and ND won the NCAA.

- And, of course, both of them never (Buss) or rarely (Young) come off the court.

- Buss, who just graduated, was drafted by the Connecticut Sun but didn't make the team. She just signed a pro contract to play for Sporting Athens, a first-division club in Greece, so maybe Jackie can go see the sights sometime next semester.

- So, who is going to step into the "Iron Point Guard" role for Indiana this season? A good shot is Ali Patberg, the transfer from Notre Dame and, you guessed it, friend of Jackie Young (too).

Here's a local TV report on the two of them, as well as a press release on Buss signing in Greece.

Tyra Buss and Jackie Young share bond through basketball

Tyra Buss Signs Professional Contract In Greece - Indiana

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Inside Pac-12 Basketball "Women's Media Day Special" will be televised on Wednesday 10 October, at 1:00 pm CDT.
It will be televised on Pac12H, PacBAH, and PacLAH: channels 1759, 1760, and 1761 on Uverse. It will be repeated later in the day.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up donalddoowop. Those are kind of fun. It's interesting to get a little glimpse at the personalities of the players from various teams, most of them seem to have a lot of fun in the studio. Also interesting to see new leaders emerge each year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Watch out for Onyenwere this year. She is going to explode.
Will be interesting to watch Mariya Moore’s contribution at USC with her sister.

Nobody is really expecting much from UCLA this year.. with Oregon and OSU being the conference powerhouses but I still really like that class they brought in with Onyenwhere

Reaction Score
Word on the BU board is that Morris will "Redshirt" this year and return to the Baylor team next year. From one of the very reputable sources that posted on the BU board. Not holding my breath, but a reply to a tweet she had makes me believe that this is could be very true.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Watch out for Onyenwere this year. She is going to explode.
Will be interesting to watch Mariya Moore’s contribution at USC with her sister.

On top of that, Vandy transfer Kayla Overbeck was granted a transfer waiver to play immediately. One of those solid, 6'0" players who takes up space and plays both bigger and quicker than expected. She'll help for her two years of eligibility. And USC landed a similar player with Alissa Pili, from Alaska.

Coach Mark Trakh and his recruiting coordinator, Aarika Hughes, tore it up for 2019, with five commitments, including Pili.

As I've said elsewhere, I think Coach Tara and Stanford have quietly been putting together some solid classes with Jenna Brown and the Hull sisters in 2018 and a few commits from the state of Colorado in future years, including Fran Belibi.

Will make the Pac12 a very interesting conference to watch....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Word on the BU board is that Morris will "Redshirt" this year and return to the Baylor team next year. From one of the very reputable sources that posted on the BU board. Not holding my breath, but a reply to a tweet she had makes me believe that this is could be very true.
If true Morris will be coming back to Baylor to face some still competition for playing time in Honesty and Jordyn Oliver.

Reaction Score
If true Morris will be coming back to Baylor to face some still competition for playing time in Honesty and Jordyn Oliver.

Yep, but will also help since we only have 1 recruit thus far for 2019 class. However, if she does make it back I think she will come back even more determined.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yep, but will also help since we only have 1 recruit thus far for 2019 class. However, if she does make it back I think she will come back even more determined.
Agree. Don't know what the infraction was or even what the process would be, is it possible for her to negotiate a reduced punishment say 1 semester vs 1 whole year similar to Joyner Holmes? One other point of clarification, the announcement said she was kicked off the team vs being expelled from the university, can you clarify?

Reaction Score
Agree. Don't know what the infraction was or even what the process would be, is it possible for her to negotiate a reduced punishment say 1 semester vs 1 whole year similar to Joyner Holmes? One other point of clarification, the announcement said she was kicked off the team vs being expelled from the university, can you clarify?

Speculation, per the BU board, is domestic violence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Speculation, per the BU board, is domestic violence.
Yea, I had also seen that speculation and read that police were involved. Perhaps the worst University to make such a piss poor choice!

Reaction Score
It didn't happen on campus and had happened in houston with a GF. So Kim kicked her off the team. She is still enrolled in the University. So I think she sits out all year as her punishment and then can rejoin the team after the year is up.

No charges were filed, from what I heard. Just think she and her GF got into an altercation. Wasn't her beating someone against their will or in Waco.

Reaction Score
It didn't happen on campus and had happened in houston with a GF. So Kim kicked her off the team. She is still enrolled in the University. So I think she sits out all year as her punishment and then can rejoin the team after the year is up.

No charges were filed, from what I heard. Just think she and her GF got into an altercation. Wasn't her beating someone against their will or in Waco.

Is that really punishment though?? If she's red shirting, there's no lose. She still gets 3 years.

Reaction Score
Is that really punishment though?? If she's red shirting, there's no lose. She still gets 3 years.

IDK I'm just reporting what I hear. If she doesn't play this year wouldn't being kicked off the team for an entire year punishment? From what I am seeing she won't have anything to do with the team until next year. So what else do you want? Her punishment seems to be sit out an entire year.

Reaction Score

I wonder if part of the deal made for Joyner was to count the two summer class periods as equivalent to a semester thus Joyner sat out the equivalent of two semesters. This is pure speculation. The good news for Morris is that she is still in school. Secondarily, if the dismissal or suspension was a Mulkey team decision and not a school mandated action, perhaps Mulkey could decide to let Morris start working out with the team at some point such as next semester. In that case, Morris would be much less behind when rejoining the team.

Reaction Score
I wonder if part of the deal made for Joyner was to count the two summer class periods as equivalent to a semester thus Joyner sat out the equivalent of two semesters. This is pure speculation. The good news for Morris is that she is still in school. Secondarily, if the dismissal or suspension was a Mulkey team decision and not a school mandated action, perhaps Mulkey could decide to let Morris start working out with the team at some point such as next semester. In that case, Morris would be much less behind when rejoining the team.

Wondering all the same. However, I think it shows accountability on Morris's part. I feel like many students would be like you screw you and transfer out. So that is sign of growth just as a person. All the information I have gotten is off the BU board so can't say it's all truth or not. Just saying what I am hearing.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Hope Sniezek heals well...tough player.

As for replacements, based on everything I've read/seen about Jenna Brown when she was committed to Irish, her senior spring and during the National Team tryouts and games, sure would be worth giving her a shot and seeing if she can take that slot by the horns as a frosh, a la Lindsey Allen at Notre Dame. And, as the article noted, Williams can swing over to off guard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere will officially visit SC next week.

I'd bet the farm that Dawn & Co. will put a "full court press" on Fudd and Amihere during their visits. Wouldn't Dawn love to have those two in her program. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
On top of that, Vandy transfer Kayla Overbeck was granted a transfer waiver to play immediately. One of those solid, 6'0" players who takes up space and plays both bigger and quicker than expected. She'll help for her two years of eligibility. And USC landed a similar player with Alissa Pili, from Alaska.

Coach Mark Trakh and his recruiting coordinator, Aarika Hughes, tore it up for 2019, with five commitments, including Pili.

As I've said elsewhere, I think Coach Tara and Stanford have quietly been putting together some solid classes with Jenna Brown and the Hull sisters in 2018 and a few commits from the state of Colorado in future years, including Fran Belibi.

Will make the Pac12 a very interesting conference to watch....

Recently, USC WBB has been relatively unappealing, non competitive in league play, and never managed to rise high enough to draw attention to themselves or cause a blip on the radar. Their cross-town rival UCLA receives all of the notoriety and attention from the media and local WCBB fans. They simply weren't worth the price of admission.

The Cynthia Cooper-Dyke era at USC was disastrous. Poor coaching, losing records and the inability to attract 4-5 star talent to the program led to her dismissal. Former UConn transfer Sadie Edwards fell in her lap.

I regularly attended USC women's games in their hey-day with my two children. This was in the early 80's during the Cheryl Miller/McGee twins era, when they won their only 2 national championships. In light of recent events, I may have to attend a few USC games this season. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Former McDonald’s All-American Loretta Kakala is transferring from Louisville to Pacific. She redshirted last season so will have 4 years of eligibility. Originally from California. She and Valeria Higgins both at Pacific...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom