Non UConn College WBB News | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So eligibility wise will she be a sophomore next year then? Would be huge for Baylor if she can join their loaded class.

From what I am told yes.

A person on the board was having a Private message convo on twitter recently. Said the plan was to stay on the straight and narrow and be back on the team next year.

Reaction Score
I mean she didn't really play her, so not sure why you would have a hangover after losing something you didn't use.

Reaction Score
Oregon’s 2016 class was seven players and four are left. I agree that such large classes will most likely lead to some kind of fallout down the road.
Seven is rediculously hard to keep together. Off the bat 2 of them will never be starters. The good thing for Baylor is they are all unique players. At UO, Sabally and Boley didn’t help that cause either. IIRC their 2016 class had dealt with some injuries (Yaeger, Giomi, and Campisano).

I actually recently read that UO scheduling a game against UConn was part of Campisano’s deal in committing to Oregon. She wanted to play them since they were the only school that did not recruit her. I know they played in the NCAA, but I wonder if that started the future series between the two.

Reaction Score
I just noticed that as well.... could it be the emotional hangover after losing Patterson?
I thought Patterson seemed overrated anyway. Her shooting mechanics at the McD AA events and game looked like she had the muscles of a middle schooler. Perhaps Aston thought she would wait two years to be a starter like Sutton did.

I'm sure coaches would like their elite prospects to expect at least two years of coming off of the bench. (Because a better player is starting.) But I feel like elite players will wait one year and them transfer if they can't play. Sutton was a top 10 player, but she waited

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I had somehow missed the news that Joyner Holmes has been suffered an ankle injury about a month ago which required surgery:
Texas forward Joyner Holmes has surgery on injured ankle | Hookem.com

Texas had an underwhelming 10-point win at North Texas last night. Lashann Higgs was their savior with 20 points. Danni Williams played lots of minutes (36) but was ice cold (1-9 and only 4 points). This is not looking like a team that will cause Baylor much concern.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Too bad Jackie Young didn't join all those transfers before the semis.

Well, to some degree Jackie was helped by transfers and/or injuries at Notre Dame. Remember, both Erin Boley and Ali Patberg transferred in the spring of 2017. Patberg, at some point, was viewed as the heir apparent to Lindsay Allen but injuries and illnesses were constant "black clouds" of hers in South Bend and then Lili Thompson came in for a grad year. Exit Patberg. (Luckily, Ali has done well in her first two games for Indiana this year. Go Ali!)

Boley was chosen to start with Kat Westbeld when Bri Turner was hurt in the NCAAs and did pretty well. However, she chose to leave and that was before Jessica Shepard announced she was coming to ND.

So this left a much smaller, unsettled situation for Young to step into and be a constant. And after Thompson hurt her knee...JY never came out of a game. Jackie is one talented player but she was also the beneficiary of showing up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Texas needs Joyner Holmes terribly. She is a leader for them and will help them find more offense.

I just think Sutton as been more passive than they need her to be. Higgs is trying to carry that team.

Reaction Score
Texas needs Joyner Holmes terribly. She is a leader for them and will help them find more offense.

I just think Sutton as been more passive than they need her to be. Higgs is trying to carry that team.
I'm sure you have watched her more than I have, JH has never shown me she could be the catalyst for a team. Too often I've seen her make selfish had decision with the ball and disappear when she doesn't have it. I get the impression watching her she's always trying to prove something. Just my thoughts...

Reaction Score
I'm sure you have watched her more than I have, JH has never shown me she could be the catalyst for a team. Too often I've seen her make selfish had decision with the ball and disappear when she doesn't have it. I get the impression watching her she's always trying to prove something. Just my thoughts...

I see your points, but however I am trying to be positive for them. I mean what else can they do to improve? I am hoping she brings them something because they looked rough last night.

Williams isn't having a good shooting season thus far (I know it's been two games) They really need her to hit a few 3's a game and at least contribute close to a double digit effort. I don't know if its a start of the season rust like Lauren Cox has had or if the offense isn't quite what she needs to be effective. Hmmmm.....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I see your points, but however I am trying to be positive for them. I mean what else can they do to improve? I am hoping she brings them something because they looked rough last night.

Williams isn't having a good shooting season thus far (I know it's been two games) They really need her to hit a few 3's a game and at least contribute close to a double digit effort. I don't know if its a start of the season rust like Lauren Cox has had or if the offense isn't quite what she needs to be effective. Hmmmm.....
I agree that they need Holmes and will be better off with her than without her. Two years ago, when Texas beat Baylor in Waco, Holmes had a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds.

The article stated that the Holmes's ankle injury isn't expected to be season-ending, but realistically how soon can she be expected back from an October surgery? Doesn't bode at all well for Texas. I don't even know if they can finish 2nd in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I went to the TX/NT game. It really wasn't an impressive performance at all. I post quite frequently on the Horn Fans board but I decided not to voice any opinion on there today. They know I'm from Waco so I have to tip-toe on the egg crate of caution when I say anything that could be construed as negative. But no need, I looked over there this morning and there's enough of the faithful expressing their own concerns about the lackluster performance. No need for me to stir the pot.

Reaction Score
WCBB doesn’t seem like it has that many good teams this year. I felt the same at the beginning of last year but the year turned out to be pretty exciting and competive

Reaction Score
I understand it's early, but with a team like Texas that has the talent that they have it's just sad. I have not yet said this, but I am truly thinking Aston is the issue. How do you have that much talent and barely beat a team like they played. ASU would have beaten them by 20 with that performance.

Reaction Score
I understand it's early, but with a team like Texas that has the talent that they have it's just sad. I have not yet said this, but I am truly thinking Aston is the issue. How do you have that much talent and barely beat a team like they played. ASU would have beaten them by 20 with that performance.
Smh. I believe in another post I mentioned coaches with endless McDonald's AA not winning NC or even making FF needing to be tarred n feathered... Aston would be one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

That's an interesting game to bring up in criticism of Texas. Baylor is loaded with talent and struggled to beat an ASU team that doesn't have anywhere near the size or talent of Baylor. So....Mulkey is better than Aston but still not getting the most out of her team?

Reaction Score
here's a new one:

"...ineligible to play this season." ?? So... will she be eligible next year? If so, then that would mean you can play professionally and only miss a year, instead of your amateur career being over.

Maybe Kevin Durant could take a year off from the NBA and then play for Texas again. (He has eligibility left)

Reaction Score
here's a new one:

Well Jaz Shelley signed to play for the Melbourne Boomers in the Australian WNBL this year (only played 1 game thus far after missing the start of season to play for AUS in U18 Asian Champs) and also has given a verbal to play at OU next year. So it must depend on weather you get paid or not, as opposed to which team you play for.

Reaction Score
International players are allowed to play for professional teams as long as they don’t collect a salary. Domestic players are not.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The SEC is making Nashville home for its Men's Basketball for the long term (relatively speaking)

SEC says tournament will call Nashville home

Relating to women's hoops..

The only exception is 2022, when the SEC women's tournament will be played in Nashville and the men's tournament in Tampa.

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said Nashville has proven to be an outstanding home with tremendous support for the tournament. Sankey said the league has had success with deals keeping its football championship game in Atlanta, its baseball championship in Hoover, Alabama, and now its men's basketball championship in Nashville.

"Similarly, we expect to identify a long-term home for our women's basketball tournament beyond 2022," Sankey said.

Gonna be interesting to see which city they pick. I would go with Greenville...... with the second choice Duluth... (Atlanta suburb, not the one in Minnesota :p) Its a smart move to pick a long term home...... the Pac12 has Seattle.... the ACC Greensboro......... I guess its Indy for the Big 10.... no idea for the Big 12

Reaction Score
That's an interesting game to bring up in criticism of Texas. Baylor is loaded with talent and struggled to beat an ASU team that doesn't have anywhere near the size or talent of Baylor. So....Mulkey is better than Aston but still not getting the most out of her team?

Ummm I'm sorry this is the same ASU team that beat Oregon St last year. Returned 4 starters and is a top 25 team. UNT is nowhere near that. Not a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom