Non-Key Tweets | Page 855 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Teams leaving the AAC for other conferences was a given from its inception. It’s analogous to asking a teenager with the most expensive bicycle if he would trade it for the cheapest car.

Not sure what Aresco or anyone is supposed to do other than roll with the punches, replace the schools that leave, and try to get the best deal for those who remain behind?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I know they are very cost aware but I could see the MAC invite NDSU and SDSU at some point in the future. Both schools are on the border with Minnesota so it’s not a crazy geographic fit.

Reaction Score
Apparently he was so outstanding at his job that every single university wanted to flee the conference at its earliest opportunity. Think about that.
Schools leaving for a p5 invite is hardly a case against Aresco.
Besides UConn which is a unique situation, did any leave and not go to a P5.

Reaction Score
It didn't get better, and in fact got worse. That's the point.
Your case is weak. Aresco lost schools to P5 so he’s a failure? Aresco failed to lure P5 schools to the AAC, so he’s a failure?

Given what we’ve all watched the past 20 years with conference realignment and the established pecking order of conferences, the AAC is hardly an outlier when it comes to being poached. In fact, it’s strength has made it a target of the lower tier P5 conferences (Big 12 and ACC)

Reaction Score
I have a different viewpoint. No AAC school has left for another G5, conference. Schools have left other G5s to come to the AAC.

True, but before adding the six CUSA schools, the AAC tried to add three MW schools, but were turned down.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Schools leaving for a p5 invite is hardly a case against Aresco.
Besides UConn which is a unique situation, did any leave and not go to a P5.
OK are the low value TV contracts and indictment against him? How about the fact that he gave away Connecticut tier 3 rights is that an indictment? How about the fact that he sold off the conferences are you single most valuable property, the Big East name? How about the fact that he sold conference USA's playbook and essentially re-created conference USA? Are any of those indictments?

CL82

Reaction Score
Your case is weak. Aresco lost schools to P5 so he’s a failure? Aresco failed to lure P5 schools to the AAC, so he’s a failure?
That's what I called strawman arguments. I they are generally considered disingenuous since you are creating arguments to shoot down. I never talked about the failure to quote lure P5s did I?

Now, I did talk about the fact that every single school in the conference wanted to leave the conference every single minute they were a member. Do you know any other organization that can make that claim?

Aresco failed miserably as president of the conference. And it seems like the only argument anyone can make in his favor is "well, I doubt anyone else would've done better." Faint praise, indeed.

Reaction Score
OK are the low value TV contracts and indictment against him? How about the fact that he gave away Connecticut tier 3 rights is that an indictment? How about the fact that he sold off the conferences are you single most valuable property, the Big East name? How about the fact that he sold conference USA's playbook and essentially re-created conference USA? Are any of those indictments?
The Big East name was not a positive for football, just hoops. And not allowing UConn to profit from its women BB rights for non-national games was simply using the asset for the benefit of the whole conference, and not us specifically. We would have all screamed bloody murder if Aresco allowed Rutgers, say, in the beginning, to profit from the sale of its wrestling rights to a local station when we weren’t allowed to do that.

Reaction Score
The Big East name was not a positive for football, just hoops. And not allowing UConn to profit from its women BB rights for non-national games was simply using the asset for the benefit of the whole conference, and not us specifically. We would have all screamed bloody murder if Aresco allowed Rutgers, say, in the beginning, to profit from the sale of its wrestling rights to a local station when we weren’t allowed to do that.
The Big East name was a positive for football when compared to the American brand. The Big East name gives credibility in the eyes of casual fans that don’t pay close attention to conference realignment. At least people have heard of the Big East.

That said, I often visit with a former FSU football player at my local sports bar. He’s 68 years old. When he asked me what conference UConn was in these days and I told him Indy football and the Big East for basketball he said, “The Big East still exists? I had no idea”. That shows you what football guys think about non P5 conferences.

CL82

Reaction Score
Disagree. The Big East name gave us a recognized brand. It was just a brand that was inconsistent with Aresco's "conference USA" style plan. Once that name was lost to the C7 the conference redefined itself as a G5 start up conference. It was a "new coke" level move.

You are absolutely correct that the movement of what had been individually held T3 rights from Connecticut to ESPN was a move that was intended to benefit the entire conference at Connecticut's expense. It directly precipitated our move out of the conference. Aresco never seemed to value Connecticut, probably because our name was linked to the big east conference in the us inconsistent with his conference USA style plan. Yet, no school in the American generated more national championships in Connecticut did while it was there. He should have promoted us and looked after our interests. He did just the opposite.

Your Rutgers analogy is based on a false premise that ownership of T3 rights applies to one school only. I don't see us complaining at all with T3 rights being preserved for every institution. If Rutgers benefited from that, all the better for them, it wouldn't impact us negatively one way or the other. (Your low-key insult of UConn women's basketball brand by equating it with Rutgers wrestling is duly noted.)

I'll also point out that Aresco didn't appear to get any material benefit from the release of our T3 rights. He got a deal that was barely better, on a net basis, than the big East's media deal that did not include football. Hardly a show of competency.

Essentially Aresco's entire career at the helm of the big east was taking whatever scraps ESPN decided to throw his way, expanding the conference questionably, giving up the conferences brand value and pretending to have a seat at the big boy table, a claim that was universally mocked.

But, but, but… no one else could've done any better say his supporters. No one claims that he did a good job, just that anyone else would have done as bad a job. In my world that's failure.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
He should have promoted ass is lol.

Well, I'm a big believer that ass should be promoted wherever possible.

Reaction Score
SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 58m
BREAKING: The #Pac12 "will NOT have a media deal" before their annual "media days", according to a P12 school athletic administrator. Not 100% sure I'm the first to report this, so if someone else had it first, my apologies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 58m
BREAKING: The #Pac12 "will NOT have a media deal" before their annual "media days", according to a P12 school athletic administrator. Not 100% sure I'm the first to report this, so if someone else had it first, my apologies.

Then UConn is cooked. It is amazing how many posters are celebrating the Pac12’s demise when it would be the final nail in UConn’s P5 coffin. It is like this board is rooting for UConn to fail.

Reaction Score
SW AIM SH OW@GSw aim · 1h
#Buffs administration has finally had enough. Expect news to break in the next few days. #Big12

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 38m
Arizona and Colorado have both spoken to Yormark this week.

Reaction Score
Then UConn is cooked. It is amazing how many posters are celebrating the Pac12’s demise when it would be the final nail in UConn’s P5 coffin. It is like this board is rooting for UConn to fail.
Wrong. If any PAC schools leave for the Big 12, UConn will be involved. Yormark has a hard on for UConn. Plus Kansas wants UConn.

Reaction Score
You could be right and you could be wrong. We get it. We were always a long shot regardless of what happens and regardless of what our true value is. The horse you keep beating passed away three weeks ago.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wrong. If any PAC schools leave for the Big 12, UConn will be involved. Yormark has a hard on for UConn. Plus Kansas wants UConn.

This position is completely devoid of logic. There will be a PAC 12 stampede for the exit if these reports are true. UConn will not make the cut.

Reaction Score
Seeing more and more about Yormark valuing the northeast market. It makes perfect sense if you want top dollar long term. If Mora has UConn playing good football, UConn’s value will immediately increase exponentially. That would be a real coup for the B12.

Also, remember Yormark’s background. He’s seen the power of New York first hand running Barclay’s Center and the associated businesses. He’s now visiting B12 cities and he’s probably thinking, “Man, we need the Northeast. We’ve got a bunch of small and or redundant markets”.

Reaction Score
Arizona and Colorado will be the first 2. If 2 more, maybe UConn gets in as a 4th. They could stop at
2, and wait for acc to fall apart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom