Non-Key Tweets | Page 839 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
So in retrospect, was the AAC worth more money? Did Aresco screw up? I’m not saying the AAC was worth 40M a year but it seems it was worth more than the deal he struck.
If he could’ve gotten more money he surely would’ve. Good teams, good football but it is a case of take it or leave it. The networks had the upper hand.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The biggest issue with the AAC media deal (which set the ball in motion for our departure from the AAC) was that the deal, especially on the surface, looked more than adequate to everyone other than us.

We were receiving a decent amount of money from SNY for tier three content (women's hoops, non conference home football games) that under the new contract would be part of what ESPN would stream on ESPN. While every other school in the conference would see an increase (which most felt was sufficient) we would have lost a good amount of revenue as we could no longer sell content to SNY.

Reaction Score
… Memphis alumni and those who attend sporting events live in Germantown and Collierville which both have average household incomes north of 100,000. They also in DeSoto county Mississippi just South of the border. Memphis supports a pro basketball team which has something about disposable income and where it goes.
OK, but the specific comparative questions directly focused on SDSU versus Memphis the school, their respective athletic programs, and the 2 metropolitan areas’ and media markets’ relative attributes as Big XII candidates.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It wasn't worth more than what the highest bidder was willing to pay him. By definition.
Technically, yes, assuming equal bargaining power and that both are reasonably knowledgeable and not under constraint. Still, we see plenty of instances where an individual is able to create value by repackaging or rethinking a paradigm. Yormark seems to be doing that right now.

Reaction Score
But did he work for the highest bid? I work in sales and as a lawyer you would know negotiation is a key process to get to final price.

The guy is a well thought of pro who had to report his activities to the schools he worked for. What reason is there to assume that the process wasn't run in at least a reasonably professional manner?

Reaction Score
But did he work for the highest bid? I work in sales and as a lawyer you would know negotiation is a key process to get to final price.
Of course he did. The networks have paid big money to P5 conference and the G5 are an afterthought. They want and did get them for as little as possible.

Reaction Score
The guy is a well thought of pro who had to report his activities to the schools he worked for. What reason is there to assume that the process wasn't run in at least a reasonably professional manner?

The reason for my question is that the top portion of the AAC is now receiving what will be over 40M per years, so someone thought their value was significantly higher. This allows me to speculate that he may have been able to drive a better deal. People do make mistakes and not everyone is a skillful negotiator despite their other talents. I’ve seen it many times.

Reaction Score
The reason for my question is that the top portion of the AAC is now receiving what will be over 40M per years, so someone thought their value was significantly higher. This allows me to speculate that he may have been able to drive a better deal. People do make mistakes and not everyone is a skillful negotiator despite their other talents. I’ve seen it many times.
Two things. One, the name of the conference matters, not just the schools. Butler and Xavier are in the Big East because, rightly, the powers that be figured that if you called them Big East members playing Big East games, far more folks would watch them than if they were playing MCC or A-Ten games.

Second, each of Houston, UCF and Cincy used their time in the ACC to vastly elevate their programs on the field. Unfortunately, we went the other way.

Look — no one is perfect. If your ant to believe someone else could have done 10% better, fine. But if ESPN got the American for 50% of its real value, someone else would have outbid them.

Reaction Score
Two things. One, the name of the conference matters, not just the schools. Butler and Xavier are in the Big East because, rightly, the powers that be figured that if you called them Big East members playing Big East games, far more folks would watch them than if they were playing MCC or A-Ten games.

Second, each of Houston, UCF and Cincy used their time in the ACC to vastly elevate their programs on the field. Unfortunately, we went the other way.

Look — no one is perfect. If your ant to believe someone else could have done 10% better, fine. But if ESPN got the American for 50% of its real value, someone else would have outbid them.
Ant? It’s a reasonable question. Are you related to aresco? Honest question to you.

Reaction Score
Ant? It’s a reasonable question. Are you related to aresco? Honest question to you.
Sorry. "If you want ..."

No, of course not. wouldn't know who he is if I walked by him. I just have done enough negotiations to know that competent people negotiating for other people don't leave vast percentages of what is obtainable on the table. And, as someone who negotiates for a living, I'm not a big fan of people who aren't in the room deciding that those who are must have materially screwed up. It's a cheap party trick. Plus, if he did materially screw up, his member schools wouldn't have taken the deal.

Reaction Score
Sorry. "If you want ..."

No, of course not. wouldn't know who he is if I walked by him. I just have done enough negotiations to know that competent people negotiating for other people don't leave vast percentages of what is obtainable on the table. And, as someone who negotiates for a living, I'm not a big fan of people who aren't in the room deciding that those who are must have materially screwed up. It's a cheap party trick. Plus, if he did materially screw up, his member schools wouldn't have taken the deal.

I cede superiority to you (never) cheers, enjoy the weekend

Reaction Score
I was thinking this as well. The little catholic schools outnumber us and could make the exit fee $100 million if they want. What are we and our one vote going to do about it?

I’m no lawyer but I think we could find a legal remedy for something that blatant.

Reaction Score
If the PAC 12 gets a good contract and holds together I would think San Diego St would prefer to be in the Pac12.
San Diego State could stand to learn from UConn. Do not allow themselves to be led by the nose by the PAC like we have been by the ACC. Everyone knows their exit fee triples after 7/1, a date that is quickly approaching. If there is an offer for us and them to Big12 they would be stupid to wait out the PAC.

Reaction Score
My bet is the PAC 12 stays together for another 5-6 years. Plus I am not sure how the Big12 is more valuable than the Pac12. Doesn’t really make any sense looking at the two on paper.

Reaction Score
San Diego State could stand to learn from UConn. Do not allow themselves to be led by the nose by the PAC like we have been by the ACC. Everyone knows their exit fee triples after 7/1, a date that is quickly approaching. If there is an offer for us and them to Big12 they would be stupid to wait out the PAC.
I hear what you're saying, but just because we didn't get into the ACC doesn't mean we were led by the nose by the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom