Non-Key Tweets | Page 699 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OK, enough's enough. Here is the full Navy game tape. UConn's final drive starts at 2:01:3 mark. Look at all the plays in that drive (including the final one where your man Verducci took the ball out of the players' hands) and get back to me on all Shirreffs' inadequacies. On the road, 100-plus degrees. . . .as has been conceded Shirreffs doesn't have a 'monster' arm. But this sequence is why I'm sticking with this guy. BTW there was one on the run throw in this drive. Given the conditions pretty freaking gutty IMO.

Love his toughness. Liked that one throw on the run a lot, he needs to do that more. Three other scrambles on pass calls. One for 1 yard and two for first downs. Good work, but ate a lot of clock, which is why Navy was giving those up. I'm less worried about his arm strength than his decision making.

Reaction Score
A non key tweet would be pretty sweet right now.
Screen+Shot+2014-08-10+at+4.19.11+PM.png

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
By my reckoning, there are really only two ways to get new fans. New students and winning games. The first way is very slow. Litreally takes years for them to show up as regular season holders.

The second requires winning.

At the risk of sounding like Diaco, we are at that level yet. We are at the 100 level - stop losing the fans we have. I think we are 80% there. Avoid tanking this season and a CR Rule #1 nut punch and we can move on to the 200 level - getting our old fans back.

Level 300 is getting new fans
Level 400 is getting new fans nationally.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You are correct, take the Patriots game out of it. That Sox/ Yanks game seems to be pretty important, though. Maybe enough for 2 point drop? They TTU/Kansas game is nothing in Houston, though.

My point was more towards the fact that everyone has viewing options. I think it's hypocritical to give X, Y, Z excuse to UConn fans if you don't also give other fans the same courtesy. No doubt Ortiz last game at Yankee Stadium was of large interest to folks around here - myself included - but once the ceremony and 1st AB were over, it was UConn FB time. Game kicked off at 8 so all of the Ortiz stuff was over with by then anyway.

Just my two cents. I am no network expert by any means but I do know a 2.2 is an awful rating no matter how you slice it. UConn fans are shooting ourselves in the foot here.

Reaction Score
Love his toughness. Liked that one throw on the run a lot, he needs to do that more. Three other scrambles on pass calls. One for 1 yard and two for first downs. Good work, but ate a lot of clock, which is why Navy was giving those up. I'm less worried about his arm strength than his decision making.

I agree with you that Navy may have conceded those runs, but they were being too cute by half given that UConn got to the 23 with 45 seconds left. Luckily for them, that's when the Verducci/Diaco overthinking began. Verducci/Diaco need to put Shirreffs into positions where Shirreffs and the offense can succeed. This proves it can be done.

Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun ‏@blauds 11m11 minutes ago
Big 12 expansion or not will have after shocks. Find out what they will be in http://TMGCollegesports.com

Anyone know what it says?

Nothing earth shattering - cherry picking from the 12 aftershocks:

Houston–The school with the most to gain and the most to lose with Big 12 expansion. The Cougars have unveiled major plans to accommodate a move to the Big 12 and have overextended themselves financially in anticipation of getting the extra revenue a move to the Big 12 would generate. If the Big 12 doesn’t expand or Houston is rejected, the Cougars will remain a Tier 2 program.

Houston football coach Tom Herman. Herman is the coaching flavor of the week. He is the front runner if LSU decides that interim coach Ed Oregeron is only a short term solution. He would also be the front runner if Texas makes a move to replace embattled Charlie Strong as its football coach. Houston officials already have put a boost in Herman’s salary to $5 million (from $3 million) if Houston joins the Big 12. That might be enough to hold off LSU. But if Texas makes a move, choosing the Longhorns over Houston appears to be a lock. And if that happens, does Texas, which has publicly supported the inclusion of Houston to the Big 12, change its stance?''

BYU–If you looked at it from a football standpoint, BYU remains the most attractive non Power 5 conference school available. Such is not the case. Social issues involving the school’s viewpoints and mission have become overwhelming factors, changing the odds on BYU from favorite to long shot.

UConn–The Huskies plight is similar to Houston. The Big 12 looks like it is UConn’s last chance to become a member of a Power 5 conference for the foreseable future. If UConn is rejected or there is no expansion, the Huskies must decide if they want to remain as a full member of the AAC or make the break in other sports back to the Big East, which would put the future of football at UConn in doubt. The bottom line is that UConn can not really afford to stay as a full member of the AAC. They were paid almost $10 million dollars in television based revenue last season, but that total was supplemented by the AAC from exit fee money it got from schools when the Big East football broke up. That money will soon be paid out and the AAC could drop to $3 million per year.

The Mid-American Conference–If UC0nn does not move to the Big 12, but wants to leave the AAC, the MAC could be a landing area for UConn in a football only situation. The MAC has experimented with that before with Temple and UMass and it hasn’t worked out. Adding UMass and UConn in football only is a possibility, since it would give the MAC an Eastern block of Buffalo, UMass and UConn.

UMass–UMass is playing as an independent in football. It is only a temporary arrangement as UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford shops for a conference. UMass hopes that the Big 12 takes some AAC schools and that UMass than would move up the AAC contender board as a replacement. But if there is no Big 12 expansion or the AAC does not replace teams or choose another school (ODU, Rice and Northern Illinois are possibilities), the future of UMass football becomes an issue. If there are no invitations coming, UMass football could very well disappear.

Idle speculation about what will happen to Big12, BIG and SEC if no expansion happens.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Nothing earth shattering - cherry picking from the 12 aftershocks:

The Mid-American Conference–If UC0nn does not move to the Big 12, but wants to leave the AAC, the MAC could be a landing area for UConn in a football only situation. The MAC has experimented with that before with Temple and UMass and it hasn’t worked out. Adding UMass and UConn in football only is a possibility, since it would give the MAC an Eastern block of Buffalo, UMass and UConn.

Idle speculation about what will happen to Big12, BIG and SEC if no expansion happens.

You would no way deserve this, but the selfish side of me would love to go to a UConn game at Kelly-Shorts Stadium against CMU.

Reaction Score
UConn–The Huskies plight is similar to Houston. The Big 12 looks like it is UConn’s last chance to become a member of a Power 5 conference for the foreseable future. If UConn is rejected or there is no expansion, the Huskies must decide if they want to remain as a full member of the AAC or make the break in other sports back to the Big East, which would put the future of football at UConn in doubt. The bottom line is that UConn can not really afford to stay as a full member of the AAC. They were paid almost $10 million dollars in television based revenue last season, but that total was supplemented by the AAC from exit fee money it got from schools when the Big East football broke up. That money will soon be paid out and the AAC could drop to $3 million per year.

Blauds still shilling for Tranghese and his desire to get old Big East back together, IMO.

Reaction Score
Big East + MAC would be an unmitigated disaster. If we're going to go football-only anywhere outside the P5, it'd have to be AAC, MWC, or some new conglomeration of the two. Yes, the AAC money isn't enough to sustain our athletic department, but the MAC would be a zillion times worse.

Reaction Score
It's probably not a bad idea for UConn to be floating stories about going back to the Big East
This could only be a positive in negotiating a new contract for the AAC .
Loosing UConn basketball ,although not earth shattering ,is not something ESPN really wants to do.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Big East + MAC would be an unmitigated disaster. If we're going to go football-only anywhere outside the P5, it'd have to be AAC, MWC, or some new conglomeration of the two. Yes, the AAC money isn't enough to sustain our athletic department, but the MAC would be a zillion times worse.
I guess it's a financial disaster for UConn staying in the AAC in the future, what does that make the current situation for the schools who aren't receiving any of the BE buyout? I can't see us trading the current situation for MAC football, which would potentially pay less. It's not like the BE basketball conference is printing money now, can they take on more members? Fox would probably love to open up that contract.

Reaction Score
It's probably not a bad idea for UConn to be floating stories about going back to the Big East
This could only be a positive in negotiating a new contract for the AAC .
Loosing UConn basketball ,although not earth shattering ,is not something ESPN really wants to do.

And yet, the WWL doesn't want to let UConn in the big-boy football club.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I guess it's a financial disaster for UConn staying in the AAC in the future, what does that make the current situation for the schools who aren't receiving any of the BE buyout? I can't see us trading the current situation for MAC football, which would potentially pay less. It's not like the BE basketball conference is printing money now, can they take on more members? Fox would probably love to open up that contract.

We spend mid $70M a year. They spend in the $30-40M range.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

It's P5 or AAC until the BE buyout runs out. Anything else would lose you money.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
And yet, the WWL doesn't want to let UConn in the big-boy football club.
Why pay huge money for something you get at a discounted price?
The Mouse is run by businessmen not philanthropist.
I tried a dirty propaganda campaign ,but this board is too smart by a half and no one took the bait.
I have given up , that sound you hear is the fat lady getting ready for her final song.
We spend mid $70M a year. They spend in the $30-40M range.
We should drop at least six sports . The only sports untouchable should be BB and football. Men's Baseball ,Soccer ,Hockey and Track,and every women's sports are all money losers .
Women's sports alone lose $20,000,000 a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom