Non-Key Tweets | Page 748 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
tweet deleted, what was it? Dave Borges misinterpreting it?

I have to re-read and review other clauses, but it says we can't talk to those conference about adding football-only until the date of entrance. So presumably we can talk to them July 1, 2020 about football only???
Borges just put a new tweet out saying he read it wrong:

Reaction Score
tweet deleted, what was it? Dave Borges misinterpreting it?

I have to re-read and review other clauses, but it says we can't talk to those conference about adding football-only until the date of entrance. So presumably we can talk to them July 1, 2020 about football only???

Yuppp

Reaction Score

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Wouldn’t expansion of the CFP make conference realignment less likely? If the playoffs expand there will certainly be automatic qualifiers for some conference champions. So OU for example may have a much clearer route to CFP in B12 vs SEC.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 5h5 hours ago
Opposite. More likely to get more than 1 team from same P5 conference after Playoff Expansion. More seats at playoff table = larger conferences less hindering.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 5h5 hours ago
I don’t agree. The most likely scenario is around five automatic qualifiers that would only be three at large spots for Notre Dame, a second SEC team which is almost guaranteed yearly, and group of five team. No way that is easier than winning the big 12 pac12 or ACC.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 4h4 hours ago
Of course it’s easier. With 8 in the playoffs you have 2 bites at the apple. 1) Winning your Conference. 2) 3 At Large berths. There is not going to be an automatic qualifier for ND or G5 among the 3 At Large slots...although that we will be an enlarged widow for them as well.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 3h3 hours ago
Automatic bids always easier. It’s guaranteed. Think about how much easier it is to be the best team in the ACC or big 12 verses that meat grinder in the SEC. Not even close. Way easier to get in with a guaranteed conference championship bid.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
But it eases the worry somewhat of too tight a window in large 16 SEC conference if there is 3 At Large Bids after 5 Conf auto winners vs current playoff structure. Larger Playoff format greases skids somewhat. Playoff window is not only variable in OU’s future decision.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 2h2 hours ago
Absolutely not the only variable but it definitely matters.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
Yes it does..you are correct. But my point on “greasing the skids” it’s easier for an SEC to lure OU into a 16 team conference with an 8 team playoff format (5 autos + 3 At Large) vs current format.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 31m31 minutes ago
But is still going to be way easier to get in as B 12 champs.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 12m12 minutes ago
Sure. I don’t think anyone would argue with you on that point.

Reaction Score
Good God that Flugaur is stupid. He's damned-the-torpedoes intent on pushing his 20 team B!G Conference fantasy. Guess what Greg? Even if the B1G adds Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Florida State your Minnesota Gophers are STILL going to suck.

Reaction Score
So yeah... this isn't happening per our deal with big east... see 1B

http://adimeback.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Big-East-Agreement-06.26.19.pdf

That's not the only plausible reading of 1(b), which is drafted very poorly. Yes, the exception to the limitation allows us to speak to non P-5 leagues about our football team, but the restriction in the first place only bars discussions and negotiations about being a member of another conference. I don't think you need to be a member of the conference to have your football team play in it. Was UConn a member of the Big East two months ago because our Field Hockey team played there? You can easily make a plausible argument that would allow you to play football in the Big XII without violating 1(b) by avoiding calling yourself a "member."

That having been said, the thought that the Big XII is going to take only our football program is so beyond stupid that I can't believe anyone even posted UConn's agreement with the Big East to see what it says.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's not the only plausible reading of 1(b), which is drafted very poorly. Yes, the exception to the limitation allows us to speak to non P-5 leagues about our football team, but the restriction in the first place only bars discussions and negotiations about being a member of another conference. I don't think you need to be a member of the conference to have your football team play in it. Was UConn a member of the Big East two months ago because our Field Hockey team played there? You can easily make a plausible argument that would allow you to play football in the Big XII without violating 1(b) by avoiding calling yourself a "member."

That having been said, the thought that the Big XII is going to take only our football program is so beyond stupid that I can't believe anyone even posted UConn's agreement with the Big East to see what it says.

Totally agree with Bizlaw's summation. While I don't believe that a XII invite is in the cards, if it came calling the Huskies would accept in a heartbeat. While the new Big East reduces travel costs compared to the AAC, a XII membership ensures financial stability & allies UCONN with its peers: State Universities & land grant institutions. As an added side benefit, competition in sports that the XII sponsors is superior to the NBE without question.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur@flugempire
12m

Just finished up with my Sunday dinner with BTM.

Following Tweets are from BTM.
Subject: PAC

Greg Flugaur@flugempire

12m

BTM:

“Was told last week PAC has 3 live offers on the table from essentially potential future PAC media partners to invest in PAC NewCo with sliding valuations which average around 5 billion.”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
12m

BTM

“The final 3 offers basically meet the requirements PAC Presidents put forth at the beginning of this exercise of what the conference would consider in an investment deal with PAC sending equity for upfront loan money”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire

12m

BTM

“PAC Presidents have changed their focus during this bidding process from one of, “what is best offer in terms and conditions for Conference to get to 2024, to how can we make deal to ensure best partner is investing in us after 2024.”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
11m

BTM

“It’s the details on how the relationship would work between investor and PAC after 2024 is where this will be decided. It’s obvious a new future large media partner is the investor, the space, PAC would like to enter into with in their new world so to speak.”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
8m

BTM

“While most people will look at upfront$ & equity in this deal as barometer of how successful this venture will work out for PAC, it’s really future money & exposure this new media partner, turned PAC NewCo investor, can provide to PAC is main scoreboard for PAC officials.”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
7m

BTM

“The decision will come during Fall of 2019. If it gets put off again then it will die before birth. There is a perception PAC Presidents will come to an agreement, an agreement which is clearly better than any other option open to them collectively”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
7m

BTM

“The energy, the inertia is behind getting this done. Other options are not feasible. Stanford, Oregon and Arizona State Presidents, along with a couple more, are making sure everyone gets on same page”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
7m

BTM

“PAC Presidents are encouraged by Raine Group’s data. It’s quite clear Media Companies are wagering Live Sport Content remains valuable and only grows in value for the foreseeable future which makes PAC NewCo valuation of 5 billion possible.”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
5m

BTM

“Big 12 Realignment option is not looked on as a solution but as more of a political bloodbath for any PAC President to even approach the subject inside his or her own walls.”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
5m

BTM

“The movement toward a deal between PAC Presidents, Commissioner and new Investor for PAC NewCo has a shelf life on to its own. If it’s to be done, and I expect it will get done, it needs to happen this Fall. No later”

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
4m
Replying to
@grana71
BTM never mentioned Apple.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't buy 5 billion and I'm not sure I would be looking too far past 2024. Who knows what the landscape will be like then? PAC is desperate for East Coast exposure. Technology advancing by leaps and boUNDS.

Just a few years ago it was all about carriage fees...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I found this the most surprising quote:
Greg Flugaur@flugempire
11m

BTM

“It’s the details on how the relationship would work between investor and PAC after 2024 is where this will be decided. It’s obvious a new future large media partner would require an East coast presence but travel makes basketball and Olympic sports too unwieldy. Right now the best option appears to be adding UConn football. Connecticut is view as a good match academically and is looking for a home for football. It is the dominant East coast brand with its presence in NYC and the PAC would like to enter into their new world so to speak.”

AD Dave has definitely been working the phone on this. Seem tough logistically but I like the creativity on both sides.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You might want to read the contract again:

All PAC negotiations and signing of contracts will take place after July 1, 2020. Why do you think UConn ponied up $7M to get out the AAC by then.

Reaction Score
If the PAC wants eastern exposure so bad, the top brands should reach out to the Big Ten regarding expansion. Add the California schools to the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Here...we...go...again

Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV
22h
Since I’ve already let the cat out of the bag I will summarize to context of the article.

22h
1. The Big 12 must expand to take advantage of emerging markets. Expansion is the only way the Big 12 can keep pace and maintain their revenue position. 2. The common misconception of instability surrounding the Big 12 is a barrier to expansion.

Gregory D. M. K.@GregGregoryKJ
20h
Replying to
@theDudeofWV
So, a decade from now, the Big 12 will have twelve schools? Fourteen?

3h
I don't see the Big 12 ever having more than 12. I think the Athletic hit the nail on the head and we see consolidation of some type in 2035. The Big 12 has a unique opportunity... it has unrealized growth potential that's highly valuable given the desire of new media.

22h
3. By extending their base deal with ESPN and the GoR to 2035 the Big 12 puts itself in position to widen the revenue gap with the Pac 12 and dispel any thoughts of instability thereby making the Big 12 an attractive option to the Pac 12.

22h
4. The Big 12 must finalize the ESPN/GoR before the Pac 12’s TV deal expires. 5. Several Pac 12 schools have expressed interest. 5. The Big 12 is not interested in a scheduling alliance witn the Pac 12 at this time.

22h
6. The Big 12 is prepared to expand with any combo of UCF/BYU/USF. ESPN has told the Big 12 expansion with UCF/BYU/USF is acceptable but P5 schools are preferred.

22h
7. The Big 12 expects an increase of magnitude with expansion and the addition of at least two broadcast partners other than ESPN. CBS, DAZN, Hulu and Apple being the most likely.

22h
8. I have documents in hand detailing the commitment of both UT and OU to the Big 12 and their agreeing to extend the GoR. 9. The resignation of Gallogly at OU has been the only issue causing a delay.

22h
10. I will publish the product of both FoIA requests with my article. Unedited, in full....

22h
Finally, should my health deteriorate to the point that I cannot finish my article I will forward my notes and FoIA documents to an individual known to me to have the nerve to publish this story in advance of the event.

22h
There is absolutely no reason to try and argue with me about my conclusions as I have documents in hand that speak directly to the matter. Your source does not know what’s going on if he/she/it doesnt acknowledge the events as described in the FoIA documents.

22h
It is possible that what I receive from WVU will be heavily redacted and the info I need verified withheld as privileged. Its a grey area. I’m counting on Gee’s duties as chair of the Big 12’s executive committee not to be exempt.

Reaction Score
This guy's a complete loon. "Should my health deteriorate", what's he think he's got the cure to cancer. LOL

Reaction Score
1h
Here’s a quick primer for those foolish enough to question my assertion that the Big 12 will expand. Pay attention & put your thinking cap on because I’m only doing this once. Ready, set, go....

1h
The Big 12 is only P5 conference without a terrestrial conference network. Its also the smallest P5 conf in terms of members (10) and media footprint. But the Big 12 is third in conf revenue.

1h
Each of the Big 12’s members play 9 conference games - alternating between 4 & 5 home conf games per year. The Big 12 is usually 3rd in TV ratings despite having the smallest footprint.

1h
From top to bottom the Big 12’s pro rata TV ratings & fan engagement are on par with the SEC & Big 10. Big 10 numbers are extremely top heavy.

1h
The Big 12 is the only P5 conf not locked into a long term deal for their TV rights. Their primary TV deal was signed in 2012 and has increased from $20 to over $30M. It expires in 2025.

1h
When the Big 12 signed its TV deal in 2012 the landscape was different. The only avenues for broadcast outlets available were the networks. That’s changed. There are a host of new media companies hungry for live sports.

1h
Here’s where the Big 12 has the advantage. They are not partnered with ESPN or Fox on a network. Their programs have rabid fan bases who actually watch football.

1h
By expanding the Big 12 can add more games to its rights package and take as much as 30% of their content to open market to sell to the highest bidder. By being first to market to new media they expect premium plus money for that 30% of inventory as cost of market inventory.

1h
The first part of this strategy is extending their deal with ESPN. ESPN currently has 50% of football & almost all of basketball. By extending their deal with ESPN they get a boast in base revenue & ESPN saves money due to inflation on a long term deal.

1h
This strategy requires an extension of the GoR to match the new TV deal. The payoff for the Big 12 is simple. The extended GoR gets them more money from ESPN and vastly inflates the revenue generated by taking whatever % of inventory left to the open market.

1h
The theory is this strategy catapults the Big 12 into the same revenue neighborhood as the SEC & B1G due to the cost of entry paid by new media company X for Big 12 rights. If you have ever sold anything on ebay you know how a bidding war drives up price. But there’s more.

1h
The Big 12 also gets a defacto conf network on ESPN+ with a escalating fee schedule. Plus expect made for primetime matchups between the Big 12 and ESPN’s other partners the SEC & ACC which also drives up revenue.

1h
Do I have to point out the only way the Big 12 can maximize revenue from new media money is by expanding?

58m
Now before you get lathered up and try to argue with me you need to understand the Big 12 is the only P5 conf able to pivot & cash in on emerging new media money. The SEC & ACC are partners with ESPN with > 90% of inventory tied up. Likewise the B1G is tied up with Fox & ESPN.

56m
One last point. First to market wins the new media jackpot. Fox has threatened the Big 12 not to expand. The Big 12 would love to free up that inventory from Fox if Fox isnt as willing a partner as ESPN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom