Non-Key Tweets | Page 623 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Would it be possible for you to avoid patting yourself on the back at least until something actually happens? As opposed to a tweet or article being posted?

I have to explain posts to you now?

Memphis was not getting in. This was not some great insight by me or anyone else. But if you want to defend Memphis, go for it.

Reaction Score
LOLwut. You think one donor from one of the weakest schools in the league is going to decide who gets in? The Chicken Little nonsense on here is off the charts.

I hope you're right, but it explains Brett McMurphy's slant as a purported neutral observer. He's an OSU grad and an ESPN functionary. That explains a lot. God ESPN is just loaded with phonies.

Reaction Score

Memphis was not getting in. This was not some great insight by me or anyone else. But if you want to defend Memphis, go for it.

I'm not saying Memphis is getting in. I never expected Memphis to get in.

But what does that article change? For all you know, that statement was leaked as part of the negotiating going on because OU wants to make sure they get something they want in return for letting Memphis in.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm not saying Memphis is getting in. I never expected Memphis to get in.

But what does that article change? For all you know, that statement was leaked as part of the negotiating going on because OU wants to make sure they get something they want in return for letting Memphis in.

BL, I agree with the thrust of your post, but (if accurate) I think this statement is a bit too far as a negotiating tactic. You don't really want to diminish a potential member if you may take them. Had it been a statement like "OU is still evaluating Memphis as a potential partner relative to other candidates" I would agree, but this is 'we don't want to be a conference with them. Period. That is harsh and doesn't set the stage for a good relationship going forward, nor, if OU backs off, for other members to be intimidated by their posture in the future.

Reaction Score
As we've seen in the past, Chip Brown is the mouthpiece of the Texas administration. Reading the tea leaves, it seems clear they've used their bargaining chip with Houston. My guess is OU and the others who weren't keen on another Texas school have or would agree to give in on UH with the right package. This quote makes it pretty clear that package does not include Memphis and OU is putting their foot down on that end. Other than the Texas reporters, there's been virtually no conclusive proof that Memphis was "gaining momentum" in any regard. It seems Boren is saying here (through Tramel) "You got your political pick with UH, we're not giving you a second one." That quote in the tweet is about as directly a negative comment about a realistic expansion candidate as we've seen in this process.

You don't make a statement to the press like "OU does not want to be in a conference with Memphis" when you're negotiating to get something else you want in return for allowing Memphis in. Much less after you've already given Texas one free pick, so to speak, that you weren't terribly enamored with.

Reaction Score
BL, I agree with the thrust of your post, but (if accurate) I think this statement is a bit too far as a negotiating tactic. You don't really want to diminish a potential member if you may take them. Had it been a statement like "OU is still evaluating Memphis as a potential partner relative to other candidates" I would agree, but this is 'we don't want to be a conference with them. Period. That is harsh and doesn't set the stage for a good relationship going forward, nor, if OU backs off, for other members to be intimidated by their posture in the future.

And that's fair. My bigger point, however, remains that not every statement uttered is made because of the underlying truth of the statement (even if it's reported accurately). We don't know that Memphis is not going to be invited because of that statement. WE'll know when a decision is announced.

Reaction Score
And that's fair. My bigger point, however, remains that not every statement uttered is made because of the underlying truth of the statement (even if it's reported accurately). We don't know that Memphis is not going to be invited because of that statement. WE'll know when a decision is announced.
You're right, we don't know definitively that they won't - but that is a VERY strong statement from OU. There's no wavering or room for interpretation on OU's thoughts on Memphis.

To phrase it another way, if OU or Texas leaked a quote to a reputable reporter like that but replaced Memphis with UConn, you can take it to the bank this board would explode and 99% of us would assume we're out.

Reaction Score
As we've seen in the past, Chip Brown is the mouthpiece of the Texas administration. Reading the tea leaves, it seems clear they've used their bargaining chip with Houston. My guess is OU and the others who weren't keen on another Texas school have or would agree to give in on UH with the right package. This quote makes it pretty clear that package does not include Memphis and OU is putting their foot down on that end. Other than the Texas reporters, there's been virtually no conclusive proof that Memphis was "gaining momentum" in any regard. It seems Boren is saying here (through Tramel) "You got your political pick with UH, we're not giving you a second one." That quote in the tweet is about as directly a negative comment about a realistic expansion candidate as we've seen in this process.

You don't make a statement to the press like "OU does not want to be in a conference with Memphis" when you're negotiating to get something else you want in return for allowing Memphis in. Much less after you've already given Texas one free pick, so to speak, that you weren't terribly enamored with.

Texas's possible support of U Houston joining the XII has little to do with the Long Horns' objectives on the field at Texas Memorial Stadium and a lot to do with their objectives in the State House in Austin.

Reaction Score
Texas's possible support of U Houston joining the XII has little to do with the Long Horns' objectives on the field at Texas Memorial Stadium and a lot to do with their objectives in the State House in Austin.
I agree, and the point is that Texas is using their free pick so to speak on UH. OU, with this quote, is saying sorry you don't get two. Has there been any actual evidence of significant Big 12 interest in Memphis other than the Chip Brown (via UT AD's office) vague "gaining momentum" quotes? Yes, other articles have had them listed as contenders along with six or seven others, but I can't remember any other information specifically noting them as having interest from the conference in any meaningful regard. Now, in addition to the Texas quote, we have a quote presumably from Boren unequivocally rebuking the notion of having Memphis in the Big 12.

WestHartHusky's argument above is spot on, OU didn't give some kind of we'll look into them and see about it response, it was a put your foot down, draw a line in the sand, stone cold NO. There's absolutely no other way to interpret the text of what was said. Of course it's not a stone cold guarantee that Memphis absolutely will not get in, but it's one hell of a barrier, especially coming from OU.

Reaction Score
I think the expression is drapes matching the carpet.
Anyone with who has any grasp of imagery would understand you are absolutely correct.
What we do to metaphors today is absolutely criminal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The statement being leaked makes me think that a four team expansion is still potentially on the table.

It doesn't make sense that if it's only two teams and OU allows Houston for 11, that there was any chance that Memphis was 12 over a BYU/Cincinnati.

It makes sense to me that if OU let's in Houston and Cincinnati is 12, that they want control of 13 and 14 to take 2 teams excluding Memphis.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but if 12 teams are how they are going, why even leak this? Just take Houston and whoever and be done with it.

Reaction Score
The statement being leaked makes me think that a four team expansion is still potentially on the table.

It doesn't make sense that if it's only two teams and OU allows Houston for 11, that there was any chance that Memphis was 12 over a BYU/Cincinnati.

It makes sense to me that if OU let's in Houston and Cincinnati is 12, that they want control of 13 and 14 to take 2 teams excluding Memphis.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but if 12 teams are how they are going, why even leak this? Just take Houston and whoever and be done with it.

Jesus, at this point, I'll go with it...

Reaction Score

They may not know yet if it's 12 or 14.

Reaction Score
Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 1m1 minute ago
"Oklahoma does not want to be in a league with Memphis" @BerryTramel of @TheOklahoman on #Big12Expansion - full interview up shortly

LOL... Poor TigerBronco in a melt down:

TigerBronco@jay_256 27 mins ago
Oh really? Well that's not what Boren told Memphis Prez and others. #Justsaying

Jeff Castro‏@JACastroTTU
@MattSchonvisky @BerryTramel @TheOklahoman If that is indeed the case, Memphis in the Big 12 is likely dead. #Big12Expansion

TigerBronco@jay_256 30 mins ago
It's nOT the case. Story is made up. Boren has backed UM as far back as last year. UConn fans cant take it. #Facts

TigerBronco@jay_256 29 mins ago
@MattSchonvisky @BerryTramel@TheOklahoman UConn fans are butthurt because we have FedEx and they don't. Deal with it.

Reaction Score
Sorry, (former) President Ken Starr of the Baylor University is not able to answer your questions on morality right now as he is teaching a class on ethics right now, in front of a grand jury.

And on the other side of the Gulf of Mexico, U Florida, which has its own issues with student athletes, has selected an outside lawyer to adjudicate a Title XI and sexual assault complaint brought forth by a student against 2 U Florida football players. The independent lawyer just happens to be a U Florida undergraduate alumni, U Florida Law School alumni, and is also an official booster of both the football and basketball teams. Naturally, the University did not disclose such in advance as the student's attorney found this out by researching the university's selection. Absolutely no conflict of interest there. Nope. Nada.

Accuser to boycott UF hearing over bias concerns

Reaction Score

These aren't bad assumptions, but BL is also correct, they may not (and I suspect they haven't) made a decision on 10, 12, or 14. What OU is doing here is drawing a line in the sand in the internal negotiations on what options are amenable to them.

Let's flip this around, could you imagine if Tramel's quote was "Oklahoma wants to be in a league with Connecticut."

Reaction Score

As far as I'm aware, B12 expansion hasn't actually happened yet. See, the reality we all live in, believe it or not, isn't actually dictated by Matt Schonvisky tweets, as much as I like him.

Reaction Score
Tramel: "There's nothing to get excited about with Memphis. They don't even have their own stadium. It's not who you want in your conference. If they do get in it's because somebody wrote a check and somebody said we're going to go out of business anyway, let's just take as much money as we can get now."

That plus the first part of the quote given already is an all but nuclear rebuke of Memphis.

More from Tramel: "You know, they could go into October and still get everybody lined up for 2017. If you had to do something you do it."

"But I do think the process is slowed by all of the network talk."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL... Poor TigerBronco in a melt down:

TigerBronco@jay_256 27 mins ago
Oh really? Well that's not what Boren told Memphis Prez and others. #Justsaying

Jeff Castro‏@JACastroTTU
@MattSchonvisky @BerryTramel @TheOklahoman If that is indeed the case, Memphis in the Big 12 is likely dead. #Big12Expansion

TigerBronco@jay_256 30 mins ago
It's nOT the case. Story is made up. Boren has backed UM as far back as last year. UConn fans cant take it. #Facts

TigerBronco@jay_256 29 mins ago
@MattSchonvisky @BerryTramel@TheOklahoman UConn fans are butthurt because we have FedEx and they don't. Deal with it.
Tiger Bronco is a giant ! I tagged him in a retweet with the link to Mat's interview with Tramel and told him if he didn't like what travel said about memphis to take it up with him.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Tiger Bronco is a giant ! I tagged him in a retweet with the link to Mat's interview with Tramel and told him if he didn't like what travel said about memphis to take it up with him.
I've been worried about how confident the Memphis board has been about inclusion, until this came out. Is there any documented evidence that Boren told the UM president anything? If not, that's what he calls a fact? Conference realignment makes idiots of us all, but some have a much shorter trip.

Reaction Score
I've been worried about how confident the Memphis board has been about inclusion, until this came out. Is there any documented evidence that Boren told the UM president anything? If not, that's what he calls a fact? Conference realignment makes idiots of us all, but some have a much shorter trip.
Documented? No. Just Twitter rumors of things. I don't even remember reading a Twitter rumor about Boren speaking with the UM president.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom