Non-Key Tweets | Page 740 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
there was never going to be another bidder.

hopefully the deal is good - but it was always going to be espn.

there isnt even a second company to float.
There was unlikely to be a better bidder, particularly on cable. That's why Aresco was touting alternative broadcast partners like Amazon. Plus if we learned nothing from the evisceration of the Big East we learned that you don't F with ESPN. They are the Don Corleone of broadcast partners.

I'm curious to see the terms. If they cement our "P6" position, being I'll be happy. Of course the further they are from the next highest paid G5 league the happier I will be. Wouldn't mind the opportunity to sell our Tier 3 rights. We are one of the few American teams (only one?) that can get value for that.

Reaction Score
Not a credible source. He spouts all sorts of nonsense that never comes to fruition.

He’s definitely a doofus; however, he does have legit contacts within the conference.

His lack of excitement in the above tweet signals to me that the deal isn’t looking good.

Reaction Score
there was never going to be another bidder.

hopefully the deal is good - but it was always going to be espn.

there isnt even a second company to float.

The deal is not going to be good one way or the other.

If the money is good; I can almost guarantee that means a large presence on ESPN+

CL82

Reaction Score
If the money is good; I can almost guarantee that means a large presence on ESPN+
I worry about this. What makes you think so, other than they need content.

Reaction Score
I hear the new TV deal money won't be that great. However, ESPN will be providing ESPN tee shirts and hats to each school in the conference. So, at least we have that going for us.

Reaction Score
I worry about this. What makes you think so, other than they need content.

I think you said it. If they are willing to pay more to park significant games on the ESPN+ platform it puts Aresco in a difficult spot.

Since he was unable to get any real money from ESPN with the last deal he touted the visibility he was able to negotiate. Does he now do a complete 180 & say "we got more money but, nobody will be able to see our games"?

Have I said recently how much i hate this bleepin' conference?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you said it. If they are willing to pay more to park significant games on the ESPN+ platform it puts Aresco in a difficult spot.

Since he was unable to get any real money from ESPN with the last deal he touted the visibility he was able to negotiate. Does he now do a complete 180 & say "we got more money but, nobody will be able to see our games"?

Have I said recently how much i hate this bleepin' conference?

I would suspect it’s ESPN+ to replace CBSSN and ESPN3.

Since they are going to lose some ACC content to that network there will probably be more AAC games on ESPN/2/U.

Reaction Score
If Aresco was touting Amazon as a potential partner then I doubt there was much effort in avoidance of ESPNs streaming network.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
Some great discussion about the Pac 12 & B12 lately. I thought I would go over some basics about expansion.

1. Realignment is only posdible if the move: A. makes the network more $; B. Makes the Conf more $ & C. The school is in distress, usually financial, and the move cures the problem for the school. All three must be true for a move to be possible.

The SEC has the most undervalued OTA TV deal. When the SEC signed the deal with CBS it wasn't the SEC we know today. CBS got the SEC on the super cheap. It's going to take a huge leap.

An SEC regular season football game is the most valuable commodity in sports. The only reason the B1G is even close to the SEC in earnings is the super cheap CBS deal.

The ACC is the only conference to have money added to its OTA the TV deal for expansion and that was an accounting trick requiring years added onto the base contract with a lump payout at the end. That deal was what angered FSU and Clemson.

Neither the SEC or B1G had money added to their primary TV deals for expansion. The reason is that OTA networks have limited slots available for broadcast. Thus more inventory does not equal more money.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
The carriage fee model was the reason for B1G expansion. The SEC had a chance to add TAMU and did. Mizzou was added because of carriage fees, but TAMU technically was not.

(Although TAMU added huge carriage fees for SECN.)

The B1G and SEC are making so much money under the carriage fee model that only two school would add enough value to justify expansion: Texas and Notre Dame. OU does not have enough cable subscribers in Oklahoma to provide enough profit under that model.

ESPN owns an option on all of the Longhorns media rights until 2035. That means UT cannot leave the Big 12 and join another conf. without ESPN's permission.

The networks want the p5 conferences to remain as they are. They don't want to see a consolidation of rights that would reduce available inventory and increase exponentially the rights fees paid. That's why they are willing to overpay to keep the Big 12 and ACC intact.

The Pac 12 could lose two programs to the Big 12 and both would be more profitable as long as the Pac 12 doesn't lose a tentpole program.

Expansion was a mistake for the Pac 12. 14 teams just cut into the conference pie. Losing two would mean the pie is divided by 12 pieces instead of 14.

I don't see how the math works for the Pac 12 with the $500M for 10% idea. The pie is already divided into 15 slices... add a 16th and everyone's slice gets smaller. The $5 billion valuation is likely to get shot down.

According to people I talk to the SEC has a $5 billion valuation. The Big 12 and B1G are around $3.1 to $3.5 billion. The ACC is next and the Pac 12 dead last. Who's going to invest $500M in a business worth $3 billion at the most?

The Pac 12's current TV deal is worth a total of $3 billion. That's the current valuation. A $5 billion valuation is a 60% increase!

My guess is that if the Pac 12 is serious about the bridge loan & investor it will further fracture the Pac 12 and almost push programs to consider leaving.

The Pac 12 has time to fix it. They could be sitting pretty in five years, but right now they are in trouble.

The very fact the Pac 12 is considering a bridge loan is testament to their issues. The conf is telling programs with revenue issues they have a plan to bridge the gap to the next TV contract in the hopes those programs don't look elsewhere.

And I believe three or four of them have to be looking at the Big 12 and thinking they will get a better deal.

The Pac 12 knows that networks have overpaid to keep conferences viable before. That's a safe bet, but the bridge loan idea is risky.

This is just me but if WVU were to go to the ACC and the Big 12 dropped Baylor and merged with the Pac 12 the new 18 member conf would have two 9 team divisions and immediately rival the SEC & B1G.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 57m57 minutes ago
Only 1 ACC program bested WVU in actual game attendance in 2018 - Clemson.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 49m49 minutes ago
WVU averaged 58,157 for six home games equalling 97% capacity.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 47m47 minutes ago
Only Clemson & NCST had a greater % of capacity for attendance than WVU and both had 7 home games to WVU's 6.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 43m43 minutes ago
9 of 14 ACC programs averaged less than 55K fans for home games. 11 of 14 averaged less than 90% total capacity. 9 averaged less than 45K home attendance.

ME: Wow! Arithmetic is not his strong suit. :confused::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Am I understanding this correctly? ACC media structure grows with more inventory? With their network set to launch, wouldn’t it make sense to add more content/schools while also increasing the size of their TV deal? “The ACC is the only conference to have money added to its OTA the TV deal for expansion and that was an accounting trick requiring years added onto the base contract with a lump payout at the end. That deal was what angered FSU and Clemson.”

Reaction Score
I would suspect it’s ESPN+ to replace CBSSN and ESPN3.

Since they are going to lose some ACC content to that network there will probably be more AAC games on ESPN/2/U.

They normally farm out the games they don't want to CBSSN & ESPN3.

If the goal is to drive behavior and get people to start watching ESPN+ regularly I wouldn't be surprised if they actually put more marquee games on the platform. When they launched ESPN2, the first event was Carolina/Duke, and they regularly aired ACC & Big East games on the "deuce" and reminded you to complain to your cable provider if they didn't offer it.

Even with the ACC Network coming, I'm concerned that the AAC will be the ESPN+ guinea pig

Reaction Score
Carriage fees are important, but theyre not everything.

A strong program (like Okla) increases the quality of matchups which raises ratings. This is valuable both to the networks but also to future suitors like Amazon or Netflix.

Carriage fees will not be enough if no one is watching your product. And, again, with the rise of streaming, who knows how much longer carriage fee revenue will exist.

Reaction Score
Carriage fees are important, but theyre not everything.

A strong program (like Okla) increases the quality of matchups which raises ratings. This is valuable both to the networks but also to future suitors like Amazon or Netflix.

Carriage fees will not be enough if no one is watching your product. And, again, with the rise of streaming, who knows how much longer carriage fee revenue will exist.

That's my point.

If they are trying to drive new viewers to the ESPN+ streaming platform, they are not going to put games on that they have traditionally dumped to CBSSN or ESPN3. They are more likely to put better quality matchups on ESPN+.

With the ACC Network launch coming, the next best product that ESPN can put on their streaming platform is the American Conference. If the trade off is a few less dollars for being on the traditional TV platform vs being the test crash dummy for a few extra bucks, I would take the less money option.

While money is crucial to our survival, being cast off to a platform where the casual fan can never find a UConn game is, IMO, a true death sentence. I believe that streaming or some other way of delivering content is absolutely coming, I'm just not ready to the 1st one in the pool.

Reaction Score
For a person that spends as much time talking complete nonsense about potential conference realignment like The Dude does, you would think that he might occasionally read the garbage he was spewing before he hit send.

Expansion was a mistake for the Pac 12. 14 teams just cut into the conference pie. Losing two would mean the pie is divided by 12 pieces instead of 14.

Um... Last I checked there were 12 teams in THE PAC 12.

This is just me but if WVU were to go to the ACC and the Big 12 dropped Baylor and merged with the Pac 12 the new 18 member conf would have two 9 team divisions and immediately rival the SEC & B1G.

10-2=8
8+12=20

I bet if he was calculating caps of Meth or jugs of moonshine he wouldn't be this far off.

Reaction Score
A few years I suggested that OK did not have enough households to be able to meet minimum financial requirements for carriage fees to join another conference. FTT killed that theme. Why would ESPN increase the payout per school or why would schools take a cut for OK.

We have more households in our DMA and we don’t have competition from other schools. You would think we might be attractive to the acc network. Unfortunately, we have to stop sucking at men’s bball and football.

Reaction Score
point?

There has been some opining the value of the DMA to the ACC for cable households and for their ACCN...

I wasn't familiar with coverage in the area....the ACC & ACCN will be in NYC, Long Island and western Connecticut....but that still leaves the eastern part of the state uncovered.

I know that you know the coverages...I did not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
point?

There has been some opining the value of the DMA to the ACC for cable households and for their ACCN...

I wasn't familiar with coverage in the area....the ACC & ACCN will be in NYC, Long Island and western Connecticut....but that still leaves the eastern part of the state uncovered.

I know that you know the coverages...I did not.

I’m pretty sure that Comcast already has a deal with ESPN for the ACC network which has most of the rest of the state.

The ACC digital network is already integrated into the menus - i can click on the online streams like they are any other television station.

35FB6ACA-FA8B-4DD8-B1B9-A75FF842529D.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says: Hearing the American will announce new media rights deal with ESPN.
Money will be a substantial improvement, at least from Memphis' point of view.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom