Non-Key Tweets | Page 618 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I still can't get over how utterly bitter and resistant the ACC is towards us. We are such a natural fit for #16, 15 is a terrible number for hoops, we further lock down the northeast for them, provide content for their new network, ND may join someday for football, and now would be a perfect time with the Big 12 expanding to add us but they seem bound and determined not to.

And seeing I'm not too informed on the backroom negotiation dealings, but why didn't ESPN advocate for us in the ACC Network negotiations? Didn't they hold the power both literally and with the pocketbook over the ACC? It would seem with the ACC desperate for a network, ESPN being the only ones who could provide one, they could have simply said "We will give you this amount of money for a network but only if you bring in UConn as #16. Deal done. Seems harmless easy and benefits everyone.

It seems to me all of ESPN's moves behind the scenes are A. Doing nothing to help us when they clearly could at least try as a state company that receives my tax dollars and B. unintentionally destroying any shot we have to remain relevant in college athletics. Just how much longer can they get away with that? Or a better question, why ARE they getting away with it?

Politics works. It worked for Virginia Tech. It worked for Louisville. It is probably going to work for Houston. It seems one of our biggest cards we have in this is the World Wide Leader in our backyard is the one handing out the checks to these leagues. Should we at least be trying to pressure them to not KILL the athletic department of the state? To give us a chance? Kudos to Jeff Jacobs for at least trying to get answers but a No comment really isn't good enough anymore.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Memphis is the ultimate compromise. Writing them off is the worst mistake that can be made.

I'm not going to write Memphis off because of Rule #1, but aside from being better regionally (travel and recruiting) I don't see how anything they have is better than us.

Why do see them as a compromise though?

Reaction Score
I still can't get over how utterly bitter and resistant the ACC is towards us. We are such a natural fit for #16, 15 is a terrible number for hoops, we further lock down the northeast for them, provide content for their new network, ND may join someday for football, and now would be a perfect time with the Big 12 expanding to add us but they seem bound and determined not to.

And seeing I'm not too informed on the backroom negotiation dealings, but why didn't ESPN advocate for us in the ACC Network negotiations? Didn't they hold the power both literally and with the pocketbook over the ACC? It would seem with the ACC desperate for a network, ESPN being the only ones who could provide one, they could have simply said "We will give you this amount of money for a network but only if you bring in UConn as #16. Deal done. Seems harmless easy and benefits everyone.

It seems to me all of ESPN's moves behind the scenes are A. Doing nothing to help us when they clearly could at least try as a state company that receives my tax dollars and B. unintentionally destroying any shot we have to remain relevant in college athletics. Just how much longer can they get away with that? Or a better question, why ARE they getting away with it?

Politics works. It worked for Virginia Tech. It worked for Louisville. It is probably going to work for Houston. It seems one of our biggest cards we have in this is the World Wide Leader in our backyard is the one handing out the checks to these leagues. Should we at least be trying to pressure them to not KILL the athletic department of the state? To give us a chance? Kudos to Jeff Jacobs for at least trying to get answers but a No comment really isn't good enough anymore.

Why is 15 a "terrible number for hoops?"

Reaction Score

I don't think that the ACC is "utterly bitter and resistant" about UConn.....circumstances have been such that it has been more important to build on football. That's all. Just as the B1G found it more important to take Rutgers because they were accentuating AAU status. Rutgers offers little else that UConn does not top...unless one belives that they have more NYC interest.

How much would UConn deliver NYC? No one knows for sure...but the ACC already has football, basketball, and olympic sports on YES as well as on the ESPN family.

I think that the after effects of the Connecticut law suit are in the past...it is just conference questions that have to be answered.
....how can you play two divisions of football with 15 programs?
....do you wait a few years on Notre Dame before going to 16 without them?
....do you really want to go further into the northeast?

I expect that in 2019 we will know more. If New York has the ACCN on it's bundled ESPN family, the ACC will have less incentive to go to UConn...if the channel debuts without New York, then that opens up the topic.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Anybody want to take odds as to whom the dud will have in on Monday????

In fairness to him, he's been fairly consistent. A tweeter asked about BYU, UH, UCinci, and Memphis and he said that he thought three of the four were in good shape (presumably excluding Memphis.).

Reaction Score
I don't think that the ACC is "utterly bitter and resistant" about UConn.....circumstances have been such that it has been more important to build on football. That's all. Just as the B1G found it more important to take Rutgers because they were accentuating AAU status. Rutgers offers little else that UConn does not top...unless one belives that they have more NYC interest.

How much would UConn deliver NYC? No one knows for sure...but the ACC already has football, basketball, and olympic sports on YES as well as on the ESPN family.

I think that the after effects of the Connecticut law suit are in the past...it is just conference questions that have to be answered.
....how can you play two divisions of football with 15 programs?
....do you wait a few years on Notre Dame before going to 16 without them?
....do you really want to go further into the northeast?

I expect that in 2019 we will know more. If New York has the ACCN on it's bundled ESPN family, the ACC will have less incentive to go to UConn...if the channel debuts without New York, then that opens up the topic.

In the last 2 months ESPN gave the ACC it's coveted network. A network most on here were predicting would never happen. They also have apparently been pressuring the Big 12 not to expand because none of the options are worth the money.

We belonged in the ACC and there was room for us to get in. I'll be happy if we get in the Big 12. ESPN with leverage, influence, and power in both cases is not doing anything to help us. They are actually advocating for outcomes that will seal our athletic departments fate. They are getting away with it though so I can't blame them. Everyone in CT is asleep at the wheel.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Soooo...Disney owns ESPN and has Team Disney Orlando based in Florida with tremendous tax breaks as well.....

Should Disney listen to Florida's preferences? Or California's because they have Team Disney Burbank?

Reaction Score
FSU doesn't want USF in the ACC'''they did want Louisville...and they did have the metrics....

Reaction Score
UConn has a great basketball tradition...football not so much. And, as the world turned to football and football still drives the networks, that has had an impact.

The ACC with North Carolina, Syracuse, Duke, Louisville, Virginia, had a fairly decent basketball representation...as this year's tournament show cased.

What needed augmenting was another top 25 football contender....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Billy, what point are you trying to make? UConn supports a $30M/yr payout. Has done so since 2010. USF and UCF do not. ESPN has orchestrated much of the college sports realignment landscape. Disney is upset at ESPN for losing money. Would Disney be okay with ESPN paying a school like USF/UCF $30M/yr when their real value comes in around 1/3 or 1/2 that? If you are going to pay schools power money, you need to make sure you limit the payouts to schools who bring the content value.

Reaction Score
UConn has a great basketball tradition...football not so much. And, as the world turned to football and football still drives the networks, that has had an impact.

The ACC with North Carolina, Syracuse, Duke, Louisville, Virginia, had a fairly decent basketball representation...as this year's tournament show cased.

What needed augmenting was another top 25 football contender....

You are talking about Louisville getting in 4 years ago which no one else is referring to.

We are talking about 2016, what is going on now, and the decisions that are being made.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are talking about Louisville getting in 4 years ago which no one else is referring to.

We are talking about 2016, what is going on now, and the decisions that are being made.

Who gives these ACC people computers? It is irresponsible!

Reaction Score
What metric is that? Number of coaches to bang a staff members wife on a kitchen table? Avg sat score = 790?

Juvenile type smack.

UConn is smarting because they haven't met the metric that is important...filling a need.

The B1G needed AAU...nope for UConn
The ACC needed football...yes for Louisville, nope for UConn

The question is...What does the Big 12 need...and will UConn meet that need?

We'll know that answer pretty soon, I guess.

Reaction Score

And you are still whining about UConn not being taken by the ACC....

it will be a business decision.....I have no idea what will happen because the "insider reports" are all over the place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom