Non-Key Tweets | Page 620 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Flug appears to be saying chance of 10 schools getting paid to stay at 10 is 0%. Great news if true and if I am reading it right.

Edit: explanation makes sense. Big 10 and SEC must have similar clauses in their contract, paying the Big 12 not to expand would cause a cascade of holdups.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Flug appears to be saying chance of 10 schools getting paid to stay at 10 is 0%. Great news if true and if I am reading it right.
that's the way I read it... not sure what to make of the stops signs and toll roads though...

Reaction Score
that's the way I read it... not sure what to make of the stops signs and toll roads though...

One is the screener and the other decides what qualifications get you a pass for further exploration? That's how I read it.

Reaction Score
if that's the case then it's a stupid tweet to retweet
Hes been retweeting everything related to season tickets for weeks, and basically the only thing he's really said in response to a P5 invite is "buy season tickets"

He's just encouraging it.

Reaction Score
Hes been retweeting everything related to season tickets for weeks, and basically the only thing he's really said in response to a P5 invite is "buy season tickets"

But he has to understand the implication...

Reaction Score

Fair enough. But if UConn gets left out, he, Susan, and the whole lot of them have some explaining to do. This shtick they have been pushing just won't cut it. We need answers. We deserve answers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Cincinnati insider:

One thing I would like to mention before I leave on vacation.

The data compiled the Big 12 Presidents clearly demonstrated a 12 team conference provides the best avenue to the CFP. As Boren said himself, many conferences now at 14 wished they had stayed at 12. The President's within the Big 12 unanimously agree now that 12 members is the way to go. The number of games played is open for negotiation with the conference television partners.

The current Big 12 contract calls for (9) conference games per member (round robin). A move to 12 members would call for (9) games as well, however as is always with the case with expansion contracts are renegotiated. The data prefers an (8) game schedule per member in two divisions, however if your ESPN do you want to lose a Texas 9th game for a Memphis game? So much has to be negotiated and in terms of games played the television partners have the leverage, while in terms of Pro Rata the Conference has the leverage. On top of that you have the CCG negotiations, Then with renegotiation you contend with the GOR, as well as selection of games, game time window, etc. A very complicated process to contend with.

So as I have stated numerous times the Big 12 could never settle on 12. Compromises to specific members or television partners desires bring on looking at 14 members. However, the television partners do not want 14 members due to Pro Rata, So I have heard the phrase horse trading used to describe all this, and that is about right.

Who is #12?
BYU - Too many issues.
Houston - The non-Texas schools say NO.
UCONN - No one is convinced its worth stretching the geographical footprint that far.
Memphis - Do no meet many of the Big 12 requirements.
CSU - No confidence they are ready.
UCF - On an island, requirement issues.
USF- Meet several requirements but lack facilities and lack of confidence they spend money needed.
Tulane - No historical success.
Temple - Not ready.

As hard as it is to believe Tulane may be a compromise due to Big 12 requirements, market size, recruiting,

A 14 school compromise may include Houston and Memphis. An argument could be made on Memphis behalf they are no worse than WVU was in terms of requirements when they were invited. Who would be the 14th then?

He seems to know the logic of the parties, but he is probably 2 steps removed from the decisions makers. A few weeks ago he was pitching ACC Apocalypse scenarios, and now Tulane. I am skeptical.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. But if UConn gets left out, he, Susan, and the whole lot of them have some explaining to do. This shtick they have been pushing just won't cut it. We need answers. We deserve answers.
100% agree

Reaction Score
You want answers?
I want the truth!
You can't handle the truth!
Cruise and Jack - Great movie

Reaction Score
UConn has a great basketball tradition...football not so much. And, as the world turned to football and football still drives the networks, that has had an impact.

The ACC with North Carolina, Syracuse, Duke, Louisville, Virginia, had a fairly decent basketball representation...as this year's tournament show cased.

What needed augmenting was another top 25 football contender....
Billy let me get this straight...as a FSU fan you are OK with BC stinking up the joint SO BAD that they didn't win a conference game in football and hoops..yet they get the same coin as your favorite team FSU. Heck they don't even have a stand alone football only practice facility. And the one they announced won't be built any time soon...they have no $$ raised for it and it will take years for the plans to be approved! The ACC has some SERIOUS deadwood my friend...and sooner or later the fans of schools in the league that pull their fair share of weight will realize that. But just remember 1 thing...you can't shame the shameless!

Reaction Score
Billy let me get this straight...as a FSU fan you are OK with BC stinking up the joint SO BAD that they didn't win a conference game in football and hoops..yet they get the same coin as your favorite team FSU. Heck they don't even have a stand alone football only practice facility. And the one they announced won't be built any time soon...they have no $$ raised for it and it will take years for the plans to be approved! The ACC has some SERIOUS deadwood my friend...and sooner or later the fans of schools in the league that pull their fair share of weight will realize that. But just remember 1 thing...you can't shame the shameless!
The acc network will die a very quick death. The numbers simply don't support it. #foolsgold

Reaction Score
Yes, but Boston is a top couple city in US and the fans love an excuse to go watch their team there. Hartford not so much. UConn should sync with Mohegan and promote travel packages between those.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati insider:

He seems to know the logic of the parties, but he is probably 2 steps removed from the decisions makers. A few weeks ago he was pitching ACC Apocalypse scenarios, and now Tulane. I am skeptical.
So Memphis doesn't tick a bunch of boxes, but UConn would be out because they're too far. Ridiculous.

You know if that were the case, that UConn is just too far to get buy in, why would they explicitly say at the beginning of all this that geography isn't a major concern?

Or did they even say that? I can't even remember anymore

Reaction Score
Juvenile type smack.

UConn is smarting because they haven't met the metric that is important...filling a need.

The B1G needed AAU...nope for UConn
The ACC needed football...yes for Louisville, nope for UConn

The question is...What does the Big 12 need...and will UConn meet that need?

We'll know that answer pretty soon, I guess.
The B1G doesn't need AAU. They have it all over the place. They wreak of it. And to their credit they won't get caught chasing some whorish school with Cardinal red lipstick on it because they want more football success. Their member institutions actually stand for something and won't pursue academic drek just because a powerful school from within decides to start rocking the boat and getting everyone scared.

There is something to be said for that.

duck***k the ACC and duck***k Stonewall Jackson.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Over on CSNBBS, a Memphis fan posted:

RockyMTNTiger Wrote: Its a done deal. A UM fan just posted the following coded message: The hay is in the barn....Repeat....The hay is in the barn.

A coded reply was posted - then quickly deleted which cannot be revealed at this time.

Hold on a damned minute. They said "the hay is in the barn."?

It doesn't get any more definitive than that.

Reaction Score
I love the Eers (woops), will never forget the tribute to 6 at their field!

If they are championing this 3 ball as a single voting unit and it passes, then all the Big 12 has to do is argue/negotiate on the fourth.

Reaction Score
I love the Hokies, will never forget the tribute to 6 at their field!

If they are championing this 3 ball as a single voting unit and it passes, then all the Big 12 has to do is argue/negotiate on the fourth.
You mean Eers right, not Hokies....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom