Non-Key Tweets | Page 172 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Candidates for B1G hockey expansion:
- UConn. Presumably this would be an all-sports deal though.

Who else?

It would have to be all-sports otherwise why would Uconn move out of Hockey East?
Rutgers would be a prime candidate to add D1 Hockey but I don't think their athletic dept has proven to be adept at doing anything right.

Reaction Score
- Cornell. Land-grant, AAU. Similar deal to Johns Hopkins lacrosse.
- Arizona State. That would be a favor to Fox and their sometimes ally the Pac.

Who else?

Ideally schools with no other D1 sports - probably a WCHA or NCHC school if it happens, although I'm sure Delany would love to pick off a Hockey East school.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Edit: wait I'm confused now that I googled. Does Cornell play in both?

There is no Ivy League for hockey. They all play together, but they play in the ECAC with a handful of others including Quinny, Union and RPI.

Edit- and yes, they keep stats about who beats who and whatnot in "Ivy League" competition, but all of that is irrelevant because it's the ECAC champ who gets the auto invite to the NCAA tournament so keeping the Ivy records is kinda only for bragging rights.

Reaction Score
You realize that only a few thousand people on average post on these message boards ? Probably less than a third of them hold the opinion you state as being the prevalent one. Another third are equally opposed, while the rest (like myself) can see arguments for both. PSU has over a half a million living alumni, not to mention millions of non affiliated fans. Its fairly difficult to categorize anything you read on FOS, BWI, or 247 as being indicative of how this massive group of people think. I'm not sure what team you support,(Minnesota maybe?)but if your team wasn't a member of its current conference for close to 100 years, didn't have the majority of its alumni located within the conference's footprint, and had no competing conferences that could make a reasonable argument for your inclusion, It would stand to reason that you would be pretty satisfied with where you were positioned. PSU is different. It has options. Its unlikely that they will ever exercise them, but they are out there should they want or need to.
I don't know about that. Audibles and BWI have been overrun, esp the latter, by anti-BIG types. Bottom line: you now have Md and Rutgers, along with Ohio bordering PSU - that's plenty of cultural connection according to your alumni map. Heck, Md and NJ are two of your 5 largest chapters outside of Pa. In fact NJ is second after PA. Ohio is in the top 10. The BIG might as well claim NYC soon enough, though UConn would really help - a school I'd love to see in the BIG.

I have no doubt Rutgers was added to the BIG because of Paterno's wishes for more eastern members in the BIG - he was on record for pimping Rutgers, partly because he loved their hs football - can't blame him here. Md is a bonus. Yet these anti-BIG threads continue - the expulsion vote is the latest hot rumor & if it's true, I think some hell is coming loose for BIG brass, and the schools who voted against PSU. Minnesota doesn't see to be one of them, I can't imagine them voting against PSU. Most Minny fans I've ever spoken to enjoy PSU rivalries and the flavor they bring to the conference. Russ Rose and Cael Sanderson have my absolute respect & I've especially become a fan of Rose's coaching and successful culture - the best in all of college sports, even better than UConn Women's Basketball. I was a Jo Pa fan, but man he went way past his tenure & I sensed horrible things would come out of it - and boy oh boy it couldn't have gotten worse. May he rest in peace.

Do I think there was some level of appeasement directed at PSU when the conference added Rutgers and UMD? Possibly, but more likely it was done as a money grab to maximize revenues for The BTN.

IMO there are two primary issues at play constantly trumpeted by the relocate to The ACC Crowd:

1)The league's poor handling of PSU from its inclusion in 1989 all the way up to the present day.

The assimilation of PSU and its fans was handled so poorly from day one that the scars of resentment run deep even 20 years later. So bad that Delany felt compelled to offer a weak mea culpa to PSU Supporters when talking about integrating RU and UMD into the league. When these schools joined the conference there were week long celebrations. When PSU joined...

Do you recall that multiple public figures in both athletics and academics came out against our inclusion? I remember both Bobby Knight and old sainted Bo being incredibly critical of our joining, and not in a messageboard rumor fashion either. Openly trashing the school and decision to add it in the main stream media.

I also not so fondly recall one of the conference's presidents opining that he couldn't believe that the conference would lower themselves to add a "cow college" like PSU to its membership. This was said despite the fact that PSU was a long standing member of The AAU since 1989, and ranked ahead of several conference members at the time.

Since then the slights have been more on the athletic side. From the conference hanging PSU out to dry with scheduling of sports for 2 full years, 1993's excessive noise penalty against Michigan, 1994, a rash of questionable calls like Hartsock's catch, Tony Johnson's 2 feet in/incompletion, Avant's heel/toe, UM's Phantom 2 Seconds, Matt Lehman's TD/" fumble" against UNL, OSU's trapped INT complete w/"faulty" replay equipment + their 3 addl seconds on FG, and on and on.

Conspiracy? Nah. Questionable officiating by referees with personal biases? Possibly. After 20 years of experiencing some of the most gutwrenching types of losses, you start to wonder if you are better of taking your chances elsewhere.

2)The second element is geography. More PSU Alums live in The ACC Footprint than The B1G. Albeit that has been greatly decreased with the new membership.

For me The B1G is the better choice for a multitude of reasons, however the death by a thousand papercuts that we have experienced for 2 decades + is becoming hard to swallow regardless of dollars or exposure. If the conference would just call a fairer game, and admit when it is completely wrong like it was against OSU this year, and MD a few days ago. Also giving us back the bowl money they kept from us while OSU recieved theirs while also on probation would be a good olive branch.

Reaction Score
Bobby was mostly critical of location, location, location. Please reference the quote from Bo if you have it.

To 70 year olds and above, PSU was a "cow college". You've come a long way.

And don't forget... B1G took PSU when no one else would... ;)

Reaction Score
It would have to be all-sports otherwise why would Uconn move out of Hockey East?
Rutgers would be a prime candidate to add D1 Hockey but I don't think their athletic dept has proven to be adept at doing anything right.

We would jump in a heartbeat. It would be step one to full membership. It gives us a chance to show fan support, albeit a smaller sample.

Reaction Score

Who else?
2765742-1736657601.jpg

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"You're only calling us a cow college 'cause we were founded by a cow." *nods
7NcYf.jpg

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Who else?

- Boston U. Don't believe they will leave BC behind, but fit the academic profile. Just accepted into the AAU in 2012. Over 30
- Buffalo. The ever-present Bulls always come up in Big10 CR discussions. Big AAU school that has a hockey team. That's all they got
- University of Toronto. AAU in a hockey rich area
- McGill University. Exactly the same as Toronto except in Montreal
- Notre Dame. Only with full membership, and that isn't happening
-BC. See ND

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Ultimate Frisbee....let's see it televised....The NCAA division has some good games.

I now watch Lacrosse, let's see more good matches on TV.

Sand Volleyball...big sport in Cal and Florida..one of newest NCAA women's sports (and photogenic).

And Rugby...let's see more women's rugby on the tube.

(not as entertaining as women's mud wrestling or slaw wrestling, but all right).

Reaction Score
Bobby was mostly critical of location, location, location. Please reference the quote from Bo if you have it.

To 70 year olds and above, PSU was a "cow college". You've come a long way.

And don't forget... B1G took PSU when no one else would... ;)

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/6/22/1523717/penn-state-history-joining-the-big

Not the exact link I was looking for, but for any one interested in going down the rabbit hole its an interesting look back at the history of PSU's "inclusion" into the famed Western Conference.

Reaction Score
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/6/22/1523717/penn-state-history-joining-the-big

Not the exact link I was looking for, but for any one interested in going down the rabbit hole its an interesting look back at the history of PSU's "inclusion" into the famed Western Conference.

Like I said, location, location, location... That and the athletic departments were told to make an 11 team conference work without any consultation with the presidents. Bo jumped all over the presidents for doing that. How many football coaches scolded their league's bosses back in that day? His ire was not directed at Penn State. Even a Notre Dame add would have gotten the same reaction if located in "rural Pennsylvania" (actually it probably would have been worse).

Additionally, some athletic departments had to break contracts and/or give up a home game to incorporate Penn State into the schedule. It really hurt the bottom line in some cases. And the new commissioner, one Jim Delany, wasn't in a position to demand much from the college CEOs.

Reaction Score
From JoePa's biography:

10. Following PSU’s controversial 27-25 last-second loss at Michigan in 2005, the Lions’ only blemish on an 11-1 season, Paterno was furious that officials put a few seconds back on the clock, possibly allowing Wolverines QB Chad Henne enough time to throw the game-winning TD pass on the final play. According to Posnanski, Paterno told friends he was considering pulling the Lions out of the Big Ten as a result.

This whininess is an example of why PSU won't get much sympathy from Michigan. Glad to have PSU in the Big Ten, but sorry, only Notre Dame gets less sympathy from me.

Reaction Score
Like I said, location, location, location... That and the athletic departments were told to make an 11 team conference work without any consultation with the presidents. Bo jumped all over the presidents for doing that. How many football coaches scolded their league's bosses back in that day? His ire was not directed at Penn State. Even a Notre Dame add would have gotten the same reaction if located in "rural Pennsylvania" (actually it probably would have been worse).

Additionally, some athletic departments had to break contracts and/or give up a home game to incorporate Penn State into the schedule. It really hurt the bottom line in some cases. And the new commissioner, one Jim Delany, wasn't in a position to demand much from the college CEOs.

I think there is a little more to it than what you posted, not that I'd expect you to understand or sympathize with this perspective. The link is there for whom ever wishes to draw their own conclusions. At the end of the day if something was a problem 20 years ago, and still feels like a problem to PSU fans 20 + years later, there probably is a problem there. I'm not saying our school would voluntarily leave the conference, as there is entirely too much money at play now, but it would be nice to feel like our brethren actually had our back on occasion.

Reaction Score
My first reaction to Rutgers getting the nod for membership was that Penn State was a big factor in making the move. Penn State and the Big Ten needed attention to be focused elsewhere, and by golly, adding Rutgers was a pretty good diversion (for a while anyway).

Sorry, gotta say it, "we've got your back, bro".

From the perspective of a group of stodgy presidents/chancellors, it might have been easier to kick PSU to the curb.

Reaction Score
- Boston U. Don't believe they will leave BC behind, but fit the academic profile. Just accepted into the AAU in 2012. Over 30
- Buffalo. The ever-present Bulls always come up in Big10 CR discussions. Big AAU school that has a hockey team. That's all they got
- University of Toronto. AAU in a hockey rich area
- McGill University. Exactly the same as Toronto except in Montreal
- Notre Dame. Only with full membership, and that isn't happening
-BC. See ND

I always viewed Buffalo as a non starter in B1G discussions , but recently I have started to come around. The B1G wants markets, they want AAU, and they want to monetize cable boxes. Someone at UB is getting the message. The entire University of New York at Buffalo rebranding speaks to this. Yes Buffalo has a long way to go, as they lack key facilities, but the course seems to be set. You can always sink a bunch of money into athletics facilities and coaches(see Ducks, Oregon) its not as easy to get into The AAU, or be considered one of the flagship schools in a state as populous as NY.

If somehow they gained entrance into The B1G in the near future, I believe that they would eclipse Syracuse as the primary football brand in state within a decade. The fact that they play a multitude of conference sports already and could add to the growth of B1G Hockey in an area that supports the game are added bonuses. They are an investment that can be bought very low and paired with UCONN would tie up The Northeast in a neat little bow. I don't doubt that arrangements could be made with Uncle Terry for use of The Bills and Sabres facilities while enhancements were made on their own. The fact that there are limited legal entanglements for both schools is also a plus. With PSU and UM on the rise, MSU playing on a bigger stage than they ever have, and OSU just having won the title, the conference is not starved for football brands. Not saying this will ever happen, but if in 10 years it did I wouldn't be shocked by it. UVA, ND, UNC UT whomever are all great, but if they are not interested move on to some schools that are.

Reaction Score
My first reaction to Rutgers getting the nod for membership was that Penn State was a big factor in making the move. Penn State and the Big Ten needed attention to be focused elsewhere, and by golly, adding Rutgers was a pretty good diversion (for a while anyway).

From the perspective of a group of stodgy presidents/chancellors, it might have been easier to kick PSU to the curb.
I imagine most people's response was googling wtf is Rutgers?

Reaction Score
I always viewed Buffalo as a non starter in B1G discussions , but recently I have started to come around. The B1G wants markets, they want AAU, and they want to monetize cable boxes. Someone at UB is getting the message. The entire University of New York at Buffalo rebranding speaks to this. Yes Buffalo has a long way to go, as they lack key facilities, but the course seems to be set. You can always sink a bunch of money into athletics facilities and coaches(see Ducks, Oregon) its not as easy to get into The AAU, or be considered one of the flagship schools in a state as populous as NY.

If somehow they gained entrance into The B1G in the near future, I believe that they would eclipse Syracuse as the primary football brand in state within a decade. The fact that they play a multitude of conference sports already and could add to the growth of B1G Hockey in an area that supports the game are added bonuses. They are an investment that can be bought very low and paired with UCONN would tie up The Northeast in a neat little bow. I don't doubt that arrangements could be made with Uncle Terry for use of The Bills and Sabres facilities while enhancements were made on their own. The fact that there are limited legal entanglements for both schools is also a plus. With PSU and UM on the rise, MSU playing on a bigger stage than they ever have, and OSU just having won the title, the conference is not starved for football brands. Not saying this will ever happen, but if in 10 years it did I wouldn't be shocked by it. UVA, ND, UNC UT whomever are all great, but if they are not interested move on to some schools that are.

Look -- if someone is pairing with UCOnn for entry into the Big Ten, it can be Smith College, University of Moscow (and not the one in Idaho) or a college for the blind for all I care. But having said that, I don't see Buffalo is a remote possibility in my lifetime. Nothing, ever, that happens in Buffalo is going to be important in metro New York.

Reaction Score
I imagine most people's response was googling wtf is Rutgers?

Yeah, let me qualify my statement a little... I think the foundation to potentially add Rutgers and been laid down over a long-ish period of time. It was the timing that changed with both Maryland's issues and the media circus surrounding Penn State.

Reaction Score

Maybe it would have been easier. I'm sure there would have been plenty of PSU fans doing back flips over it, and maybe even some traditional B1G Teams' Supporters as well. Thankfully Delany wasn't so F'tarded to let a golden goose like PSU walk away, wounded even as it was. Outside of landing ND or UT(who are never joining) there is no singular program out there that The B1G could conceivably land that could earn bank like PSU can. A sick part of me would have loved seeing how Rutgers would have been received without a buffer like PSU between them and the rest of the conference. I suspect kind of like a Cousin Oliver Impersonator at a Brady Bunch Convention.

Reaction Score
Look -- if someone is pairing with UCOnn for entry into the Big Ten, it can be Smith College, University of Moscow (and not the one in Idaho) or a college for the blind for all I care. But having said that, I don't see Buffalo is a remote possibility in my lifetime. Nothing, ever, that happens in Buffalo is going to be important in metro New York.

Maybe not with any major relevance, but they are located in a top 50ish market, are close to another one in Rochester, and might even capture a few viewers in Toronto. Add in the fact that they are AAU, are actively branding themselves as The U of NY at Buffalo, as opposed to UB, and suddenly it doesn't seem impossible. I think the minimal entanglement they present helps their case. The issue they face, much like UCONN, is that it is hard to build a ton of momentum when you are handicapped by conference affiliation. I think both schools given the opportunity would thrive in The B1G.

Reaction Score
You read too much into the U of NY at Buffalo thing - its self-branding for sports only and not actually sanctioned by SUNY. That's why the scoreboards at games still reads Buffalo and not "New York"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom