Non-Key Tweets | Page 143 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
amory said:
Can someone explain why in the world wake forest would drop football when they're getting all that P5 money regardless of whether they suck or not

Only in a non key world...

Reaction Score
Start spreadin the news, the Big 12 adding today.
They want to be a part of it
New York New York
They want to wake up in a city that never sleeps
Then they will be King of the Hill
Top of the heap
Their little town blues are melting away
They want to make a brand new start of it
In Old New York
They want to wake up in a city that never sleeps
Then they will find their A number 1 ,top of the heap..King of the Hill
A number 1
New York New York

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why in the world wake forest would drop football when they're getting all that P5 money regardless of whether they suck or not

I think that this is not completely thought out.

Folks, like MH VER, think that because Wake is a tiny school, that they won't have the money to play P5 football. And thus jump to the conclusion that they will need to drop down. I am not sure that this is so. There are indicators that could go both ways.

The Wake President, Nathan Hatch, is the Chair of the Div. I Board of Director's who came forth with the P5 initiative...and was recognized as a key architect of the plan. He has supported the initiative all along.

"It does provide degrees of autonomy for the five high-resource conferences," said Wake Forest President Nathan Hatch, the board chairman and a key architect of the plan. "This is not complete autonomy. We're still part of Division I, but I think it allows us to provide more benefits to student-athletes."

Now, saying that, Wake still has the lowest Athletic Department revenue of a P5 program...5% lower than Washington State's and about $3 million more than the median revenue of the AAC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wake is never, ever dropping football.

They're getting $18M a year in television money which, the last time I checked, is about ten times what we make and about 20 times what some other conferences make.

They also have a billion dollar endowment.

If they have to give up football, they will have been preceded by about 50 other programs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yup. Once you are an the P5 gravy train, it makes no sense to get off, however undeserving you might be perceived by G% wanna be's.

pj

Reaction Score
Wake Forest's objection to paying athletes is not financial but a matter of principle -- the principle that while litigation is underway, you exaggerate to the media the negative consequences of your opponent winning.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Way back when I used to have a fading thought that some smaller private grandfathered schools (ex - Wake, BC, Northwestern, etc) deciding that the new costs of competing would be too expensive and decide to drop out. But with all of the revenue streams these revenue suckers get just from playing sports in these conferences, albeit not very well, and with these costs being mostly determined school-by-school, the small private revenue suckers can continue to pocket their Power conference money and decide to not adopt every single expense (i.e. - put more money into their pockets). Similar to how bottom feeding MLB franchises would pocket revenue sharing money into the owner's bank accounts instead of putting the money back into the organization product, I envision these schools will do something similar. Because FOI doesn't apply to privates, noone would be able to pry the info as to where the P5 money is going. And if these P5 conferences all sell their CCGs for even more money, that is extra cash that these revenue suckers can put right into their endowment (or BOTs comp packages).

So yeah, not even the small privates with limited fan support would voluntarily drop out of the new model. It's essentially free money to keep doing what they've done for decades - suck.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wake Forest's objection to paying athletes is not financial but a matter of principle...

Wake Forest essentially exists because of tobacco money - not sure what principle you've arbitrarily decided to credit them with, but rest assured they will do what they have to in order to maintain their place.

pj

Reaction Score
Wake Forest essentially exists because of tobacco money - not sure what principle you've arbitrarily decided to credit them with, but rest assured they will do what they have to in order to maintain their place.

Read the rest of my post, it explains what principle I credit them with. The context is the O'Bannon litigation.

Reaction Score
The big thing coming down the pike, as I hear it, is the NLRB may revisit the Brown U. decision from 9 years ago in the wake of the Northwestern U. case deeming athletes as workers who can unionize. If the Brown case is reversed--and I hear they are preparing the case right now--then the private schools are going to have some huge problems. On the academic side, they can get around some of these problems by hiring more full-time staff, but I don't know what they are going to do with athletics. Pay the athletes as employees? Hmmmmm.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Of all the things that could shake up conference alignments, an event occurring that caused the prestige private schools like Stanford, Northwestern, Duke and Vanderbilt to de-emphasize athletics is one of the most likely. These schools will not become minor league sports franchises, and I suspect we are not as far as you think from one or more deciding they have reached a tipping point in that regard.

Reaction Score
Way back when I used to have a fading thought that some smaller private grandfathered schools (ex - Wake, BC, Northwestern, etc) deciding that the new costs of competing would be too expensive and decide to drop out. But with all of the revenue streams these revenue suckers get just from playing sports in these conferences, albeit not very well, and with these costs being mostly determined school-by-school, the small private revenue suckers can continue to pocket their Power conference money and decide to not adopt every single expense (i.e. - put more money into their pockets). Similar to how bottom feeding MLB franchises would pocket revenue sharing money into the owner's bank accounts instead of putting the money back into the organization product, I envision these schools will do something similar. Because FOI doesn't apply to privates, noone would be able to pry the info as to where the P5 money is going. And if these P5 conferences all sell their CCGs for even more money, that is extra cash that these revenue suckers can put right into their endowment (or BOTs comp packages).

So yeah, not even the small privates with limited fan support would voluntarily drop out of the new model. It's essentially free money to keep doing what they've done for decades - suck.

Are you really comparing Wake Forest to Boston College?? Really??

Have you compared the records?

For FB - the sport that drives CR - Boston College has hardly "sucked" for decades. Since 1999, when TOB took over - and through 4 different coaches - they have had 14 winning seasons out of 16. How many other Northeast programs can make that claim during this period? During the same timeframe, WF has only had 6 winning seasons.

As far as your "decades" measurement, BC's life time FB record is 643-465-36, which is good for roughly the top third of programs. WF, by comparison, is almost the exact inverse of BC as they are 432-634-33 - one of the worst accumulated records in CF.

BC has not been an "elite" program, to be sure (few can be called that). However, they have been an overall competitive and successful program. The numbers bear that out. In the past decade and one half, they have been one of the most successful programs in the Northeast.

They certainly have not "sucked" as you infer......and they certainly should not be lumped with WF from a performance perspective.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would rather pull the plug on football than play in the same conference as Marshall. Just the thought of it makes me want to shower.

Reaction Score
The big thing coming down the pike, as I hear it, is the NLRB may revisit the Brown U. decision from 9 years ago in the wake of the Northwestern U. case deeming athletes as workers who can unionize. If the Brown case is reversed--and I hear they are preparing the case right now--then the private schools are going to have some huge problems. On the academic side, they can get around some of these problems by hiring more full-time staff, but I don't know what they are going to do with athletics. Pay the athletes as employees? Hmmmmm.

The university is still working to suppress the results of the vote. Then there's this. . .

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/12/12/3602837/michigan-ban-ncaa-athletes-unions-northwestern/

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Jaysus, the BC fact-checking birdies are soaring over our site lately, huh? I make one little "BC" reference to being a smaller private school and I get a novel comparing records between Wake and BC.

Does an alarm go off at Chestnut Hill to alert the dozens of BC fans that someone, somewhere said something that depicts BC in a negative way?

Reaction Score
Are you really comparing Wake Forest to Boston College?? Really??

Have you compared the records?

For FB - the sport that drives CR - Boston College has hardly "sucked" for decades. Since 1999, when TOB took over - and through 4 different coaches - they have had 14 winning seasons out of 16. How many other Northeast programs can make that claim during this period? During the same timeframe, WF has only had 6 winning seasons.

As far as your "decades" measurement, BC's life time FB record is 643-465-36, which is good for roughly the top third of programs. WF, by comparison, is almost the exact inverse of BC as they are 432-634-33 - one of the worst accumulated records in CF.

BC has not been an "elite" program, to be sure (few can be called that). However, they have been an overall competitive and successful program. The numbers bear that out. In the past decade and one half, they have been one of the most successful programs in the Northeast.

They certainly have not "sucked" as you infer.and they certainly should not be lumped with WF from a performance perspective.
The comparison was that they both suck. No need to go further.

Reaction Score
Jaysus, the BC fact-checking birdies are soaring over our site lately, huh? I make one little "BC" reference to being a smaller private school and I get a novel comparing records between Wake and BC.

Does an alarm go off at Chestnut Hill to alert the dozens of BC fans that someone, somewhere said something that depicts BC in a negative way?
Isn't it ironic that anytime someone on this board mentions UCONN playing BC in football a BC fan bring up how no BC fans care about UCONN, but when someone takes a shot at BC for any reason by the speed one of their fans responds you would think one-tenth of their fanbase is trolling our board waiting for BC to be brought up.
Edit: they sure spend a lot of time here for not caring about UCONN at all.

Reaction Score
The comparison was that they both suck. No need to go further.

Interesting.
So, in your world, 14 winning seasons out of the last 16 and a lifetime accumulated record of 643-465-36 - good for roughly the top third of all programs - is the definition of sucked?

I guess there just hasn't been many decent CFB programs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he was saying the relative footprint of relevancy for either program is fairly small.

Reaction Score
Isn't it ironic that anytime someone on this board mentions UCONN playing BC in football a BC fan bring up how no BC fans care about UCONN, but when someone takes a shot at BC for any reason by the speed one of their fans responds you would think one-tenth of their fanbase is trolling our board waiting for BC to be brought up.
Edit: they sure spend a lot of time here for not caring about UCONN at all.

Husky, go back and look at my posts. I think you will see that: (1) I hardly respond to every BC post on this board (2) I don't smack talk other programs (on this board or anywhere else).

If I see a statement made that I think is obviously not consistent with the facts, I will respond. No big deal. Beyond that, i just don't get into all of the smack talk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom