Non-Key Tweets | Page 142 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If the B12 MUST add schools, ESPN can tell them that they need to pay for it (accepting a drop in per-school revenue). ESPN doesn't have to pay for it. There is no circumstance under which they will need to pay for Memphis. If Memphis is added, it is because Fred Smith is paying for them.

The AAC contract is expiring soon so ESPN could view UConn and UCF and Cincy as free agents. So you have a valid point that ESPN's ownership of the AAC may not factor. But their hostility to Fox may matter. ESPN may want to reserve UConn and potentially for others for the ACC. So it might want to block B12 expansion.

I discount the Fred Smith thing because corporations can change course on a tack. Say the guy dies. Then what? The B12 is then stuck feeding Memphis.

Your last point is definitely huge, how does ESPN deal with Fox. I hadn't considered that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the Fred Smith storyline. I know that schools have been resurrected thanks to big money donors ( Oregon, Oklahoma State, Maryland), but this would be an absolute epic resurrection if a booster can get singlehandedly get his school into a Power conference without an ounce of merit (from the school's CR profile). The other donors gave their money directly to the school. Smith would be giving his money to a conference to help a school? Something about that seems unethical to me, but then again, we are talking about the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the Fred Smith storyline. I know that schools have been resurrected thanks to big money donors ( Oregon, Oklahoma State, Maryland), but this would be an absolute epic resurrection if a booster can get singlehandedly get his school into a Power conference without an ounce of merit (from the school's CR profile). The other donors gave their money directly to the school. Smith would be giving his money to a conference to help a school? Something about that seems unethical to me, but then again, we are talking about the NCAA.
Are you insinuating that Cincy's CR profile is worse than UCONN's? $1.2 billion endowment. 44k students. Borders B1G and SEC country. Cincy is probably the most likely expansion candidate out there.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Are you insinuating that Cincy's CR profile is worse than UCONN's? $1.2 billion endowment. 44k students. Borders B1G and SEC country. Cincy is probably the most likely expansion candidate out there.

No. I'm insinuating...no, I am flat-out shouting from every single rooftop!, that Memphis' CR profile is MUCH worse than UCONN's. Fred Smith is FedEx CEO and Memphis alum...not Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that the B12 is going to expand because Baylor & TCU were excluded from Year 1 of the playoffs. The conference only lost $6MM by not having a playoff representative so it's not like they left $20+MM on the table. Yes there is money in a CCG but they already made their decision on that.

Until an 11-1 Texas or Oklahoma get passed over my guess is they stay at 10. This lets UT keep the LHN & everyone else gets to make their own Tier 3 deals

Reaction Score
No. I'm insinuating...no, I am flat-out shouting from every single rooftop!, that Memphis' CR profile is MUCH worse than UCONN's. Fred Smith is FedEx CEO and Memphis alum...not Cincinnati.
Sorry...my bad. I was thinking about Cincy....I agree. But you know what they say, location location location.

Reaction Score
1558589_761220447291110_5967251953494677754_n.jpg

Reaction Score

B1G and SEC aren't adding Cincy.

I like UConn's profile better. Better academics, better basketball, though worse football.

While the 3 factors above can be compare, UConn trumps Cincy on market.

That being said, Cincy beats UConn in terms of geography when it comes to the B12, and that alone sends it over the top.

Reaction Score
B1G and SEC aren't adding Cincy.

I like UConn's profile better. Better academics, better basketball, though worse football.

While the 3 factors above can be compare, UConn trumps Cincy on market.

That being said, Cincy beats UConn in terms of geography when it comes to the B12, and that alone sends it over the top.
Indiana, Illinois, Michigan have two schools each in the B1G while Ohio only has one. Given that the B1G won't add Cincy, that makes Cincy an ideal add for the Big 12. 2nd largest state u. in the great state of Ohio. CR makes me sick. there are so many schools in P5 conferences which are better fits for other conferences. Senseless.

Reaction Score
Indiana, Illinois, Michigan have two schools each in the B1G while Ohio only has one. Given that the B1G won't add Cincy, that makes Cincy an ideal add for the Big 12. 2nd largest state u. in the great state of Ohio. CR makes me sick. there are so many schools in P5 conferences which are better fits for other conferences. Senseless.

OSU has over 50k students. You could fit all the students at Purdue and Indiana onto OSU's campus. As for Illinois, we're talking about Northwestern as a private, pretty small.

Cincy simply hasn't penetrated the rest of the state.

pj

Reaction Score
I discount the Fred Smith thing because corporations can change course on a tack. Say the guy dies. Then what? The B12 is then stuck feeding Memphis.

Yes. The way Fred Smith matters is if the major B12 schools are planning to go their own ways upon the expiration of the current contract. E.g. to B1G, SEC, or Pac. Then if Fred Smith pays them for 10 years, Memphis can have a temporary home in the B12. It gives Memphis a chance to build its profile and fight for a spot in the next round of musical chairs. Fred Smith or Fedex only make a temporary (10 year) commitment. The B12 powers don't care that they're associated with Memphis because it's only temporary and they're getting paid for the rental.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Fred Smith is FedEx CEO and Memphis alum...not Cincinnati.
Sorry Dooley, I know doesn't really matter and your point is still valid, but just wanted to clarify that Fred is a Yale alum; he's just a Memphis resident and the school's biggest donor.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Are we that desperate to throw ourselves at a possible sinking ship in the Big 12? Just asking...

Dooley

Reaction Score
Are we that desperate to throw ourselves at a possible sinking ship in the Big 12? Just asking...

Yes. $20M/yr trumps $2M/yr, by my math. If the B12 sinks, we will have bought ourselves some time in a P5 conference to improve our CR profile. We may even be AAU by then and showed B1G folks that we can compete in football at a high level (again).

Reaction Score
If you are calling the B12 a sinking ship what the hell is the AAC? I think we all would prefer the B1G or ACC but any port in the storm will do. Perhaps if word gets out the B12 has been visiting it will spur ACC/B1G activity....

On a completely separate note I went for lunch in East Hartfod and saw Bob Bowlsby eating lunch at Margarita's. Any idea why he would be in town?

Reaction Score

For the XII, yes, Cincinnati is probably the most likely target. For the ACC, it's a maybe. For the SEC, it's unlikely. For the B1G, its a no way in heck (possible direct quote from Ohio St AD, Gene Smith). It's all about fit.

pj

Reaction Score
If the B12 ship sinks with us on it, the worst case is we go to a new conference with the scraps of the B12 ... but that's still better than the AAC, we would be with schools like Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, WVU, and Iowa State.

The best case is we fill out the B1G with Kansas and possibly Oklahoma and Texas.

We also get to play in the B12 for 10 years before the sinking.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 5h 5 hours ago
Haven't heard anything about Pac12 expansion and last I heard Vanderbilt declined any interest the B10 had. But things can change

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 29m 29 minutes ago
Wake Forest may be the next UAB...It's not looking good according to my source in the ACC. However, Notre Dame is wavering...

Jared Kotler ‏@JaredKotler 26m26 minutes ago
@MH ver3 does that get UConn into acc?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 25m25 minutes ago
@JaredKotler it would take Boston College either joining the B10 or being completely annihilated to get Uconn in the ACC

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 27m 27 minutes ago
WF will probably not be the only casualty of this coming $$ war...probably not the only one in the ACC even.

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 26m 26 minutes ago
Notre Dame could have options if CCGs become the norm for all the P5. They may get a waiver to play 13 games so they can keep up w/committee

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 26m 26 minutes ago
or they could join the ACC as a full member-a reality I never thought I'd see but is looking like it could come to fruition

Aaaaaaaand from Minnesota...

Aaron ‏@posas13 10h10 hours ago
@flugempire Any chance NBC buys B10 Tier 1 contract & brings ND into B10?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 7h7 hours ago
@posas13 I don't think so. Bad relationship between ND & Big 10. If anyone comes in and takes a slice away from ESPN & FOX look for CBS.

Gregory D. M. K. ‏@GregGregoryKJ 5h5 hours ago
@flugempire @posas13 Any of ND ever leaving the ACC to go to another of the big five conferences? No chance of ND to the Big 12?

Daniel Mountcastle ‏@expansion_crush 5h5 hours ago
@flugempire @posas13 ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if they join a conference in football. They signed the GOR.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 5h5 hours ago
@expansion_crush @posas13 Yep

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 4h4 hours ago
@flugempire @expansion_crush @posas13 Yes we are and IF we joined(In full) the ACC would work with the NBC deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
yes or that sinking ship in the ACC, or the stable ship of the B1G. Pretty much any ship will do thank you.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Can someone explain why in the world wake forest would drop football when they're getting all that P5 money regardless of whether they suck or not

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom