Non-Key Tweets | Page 906 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Are there people that still don’t understand that the ACC GOR is a contract between the league and the schools? They can expand and talk to ESPN all they want and it has no impact on the GOR whatsoever.

They would need to discuss expansion with ESPN if they want money for the new school. But that’s a way to also up the payout. It’s not a negative. The GOR is only ever a positive to the conference because it provides certainty in an uncertain landscape.

Meanwhile the ACC per school payout is more than the Big XII going forward not less. It goes up every year of the deal.
Wrong. The GOR is always tied to the media contract. It's why they are the same length. But go on believing your nonsense.

Reactions: GG
Reaction Score
ESPN asked for the GOR as a condition to creating the conference network. But they aren’t tied together strictly speaking. One can open up the media contract without having to open up the GOR.

Reaction Score
I think the key point re: GORs is that nobody knows definitively much about them. In the context of college sports rights they are a novelty not well tested or understood. Can they be broken? Can rights be parceled out to other entities without weakening their grip. Maybe, maybe not. Let’s not any of us pretend their limits are or should be well known.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wrong. The GOR is always tied to the media contract. It's why they are the same length. But go on believing your nonsense.
Are you just being contrary? The GOR is to the conference. The media contract relies upon it. But they aren’t tied. Where did you get your law degree? Mine came from Green Hall in Lawrence.

Reaction Score
I think the key point re: GORs is that nobody knows definitively much about them. In the context of college sports rights they are a novelty not well tested or understood. Can they be broken? Can rights be parceled out to other entities without weakening their grip. Maybe, maybe not. Let’s not any of us pretend their limits are or should be well known.
From my non-lawyering perspective, we don't "know much about them" because we know everything about them. It's a straightforward and simple contract and it hasn't been challenged or tested because it's so straightforward no one has bothered to try and wiggle out of it.

Reaction Score
I’d hope the governor’s office is involved, It is amazing that the one company that controls so much of realignment is in our state. And we’ve been treated the worst of any school. Just can’t make it up.
ESPN took us to the cleaners years ago with financial incentives and tax breaks and nobody bothered to make sure UConn was properly taken care of in realignment.

Reaction Score
Are you just being contrary? The GOR is to the conference. The media contract relies upon it. But they aren’t tied. Where did you get your law degree? Mine came from Green Hall in Lawrence.
The GOR is signed to the conference, but they are all signed in accordance to media deals. So that effect is the same. Like I said, go ahead and believe the nonsense you typed.

Reaction Score
It’s all about each school licensing their rights to sports events to the conference as a group to allow the collective licensing of a package of games to media networks. The whole enchilada is turned over to the conference in exchange for teams getting a share of negotiated license fees. GOR is a grant of a conference member’s rights to the conference. This includes rights to exclusive TV, radio broadcast in the performances, recording, replay, syndication, sub licensing (ie second tier games to second tier networks and online platforms), rights to derivative works (I.e. reuse clips and recompositions, etc.). Usually the school retains rights to its logos, designs, name etc for merchandising, licensed seat revenue, concessions, etc. There is nothing magical going on.

Reaction Score
Many people in the northeast call the majority of the country fly over country and then go down the ugly path of hurling insults at large swaths of the country as toothless sister schtupers. I miss some things about the northeast but I certainly don't miss that stuff.
As the white outfitted cowboy gunslinging dude in the vids says in the bar as he is about to plug a bad guy, "Might I suggest that you need a better class of friends". Although born in Texas, I have lived almost my entire life in the northeast and literally have never heard those kinds of remarks. And statistically if that was a factor, it would have been analysed to death a long ago. Were you being serious or facetious?

Reaction Score
The schools enter into the GOR with the conference, not the network. That gives the conference the rights to the school’s home games for a period of time, whether the school remains in the conference or not. The conference then assigns those rights to the network as part of their TV deal (if you’re giving rights to one network), or assigns pieces of those rights to a number of networks.

Reaction Score
From my non-lawyering perspective, we don't "know much about them" because we know everything about them. It's a straightforward and simple contract and it hasn't been challenged or tested because it's so straightforward no one has bothered to try and wiggle out of it.
Here is the issue: one is allowed to breach a contract as long as you’re willing to pay the other side’s damages. The issue on the GOR that hasn’t been tested in the courts, and is not as straightforward as you suggest, is whether the GOR is a transfer of property, such that there is nothing for a school to breach going forward — the rights are already gone — or is a promise to allow someone to televise its home games in the future, in which case it is a contract subject to future performance that the school can breach and be subject to damages.

Does that help?

Reaction Score
As the white outfitted cowboy gunslinging dude in the vids says in the bar as he is about to plug a bad guy, "Might I suggest that you need a better class of friends". Although born in Texas, I have lived almost my entire life in the northeast and literally have never heard those kinds of remarks. And statistically if that was a factor, it would have been analysed to death a long ago. Were you being serious or facetious?
People are being fed this victimization crap on the internet. And like to believe it for reasons I can’t fathom.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here is the issue: one is allowed to breach a contract as long as you’re willing to pay the other side’s damages. The issue on the GOR that hasn’t been tested in the courts, and is not as straightforward as you suggest, is whether the GOR is a transfer of property, such that there is nothing for a school to breach going forward — the rights are already gone — or is a promise to allow someone to televise its home games in the future, in which case it is a contract subject to future performance that the school can breach and be subject to damages.

Does that help?
Exactly. I’ve been negotiating IP licensing contracts since the 90s. These are structured enough like that make then very risky to challenge. Intellectual Property conveyances are going to be different than a mere promise to perform.

Examples in other industries: Sony still has the rights to Spider-Man, Disney has to deal with them to add Spider-Man to Marvel movies. Taylor Swift sold the rights to her first six albums, so ended up re-recoding them all on a new label.

Reaction Score
The GOR is signed to the conference, but they are all signed in accordance to media deals. So that effect is the same. Like I said, go ahead and believe the nonsense you typed.
Throwing us off the scent by arguing with yourself, clever

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Throwing us off the scent by arguing with yourself, clever
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits