Non-Key Tweets | Page 797 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
This is the the new model, IMHO. Getting quality content for the media partners and BTN. Adding Washington and Oregon would help with the content in football, but the way the media deal is written, they may need more programs to have the Friday primetime late night Saturday games. Those schools need to have away games in conference and USC/UCLA are paid for the Fox/NBC/CBS deals. They don't want to give up that inventory. Having 4 school with the ability to play those games makes scheduling much easier.

Honestly, I can see 4 more schools out West being part of the Big10. Washington, Oregon, Stanford, ASU, Arizona, Utah, and maybe Cal are all candidates (I really think Cal is at the bottom of the list and ASU is higher than you all think). Washington is a lock. The others are all in the mix.

I agree with this as well, but will need some more basketball oriented programs. The only true basketball schools in the Big10 right now are Indiana, Purdue and UCLA. MSU is pretty close, but will need to see what they become when Izzo retires. Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU and Michigan are the next tier down (either boring basketball or not consistent play). They need name programs that will create must see games. Those teams seem to be in The ACC and maybe one in The Big East that seems to fit the bill.

I don't think there is an end game here. Conferences will court as many teams as makes sense for them to make money and provide great marketing for their universities. anywhere from 16-32 is possible, but I think the sweet spot will be 20-24.
I agree, but bball isn't going to be an issue. I think the Big 10 is satisfied with their east, and will only look west.

Reaction Score
B1G's next expansion should include teams that can actually win important games in a major sport. Is there a conference that does less with more than the B1G?

Reaction Score
If the Big East ever wanted some NYC-area flavor for the 12th team...

The Hynes is a small arena, but the Gaels have an excellent fan base. I've been to about six games there, each one an electric atmosphere.

Reaction Score
B1G's next expansion should include teams that can actually win important games in a major sport. Is there a conference that does less with more than the B1G?

Expansion is about economics not athletic performance.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Not a chance of this happening. The Big 12 will not be able to get anyone from the Pac-12 to jump ship unless the later has more defections. Nobody is leaving the Big East for the Big 12, not even UConn. The basketball monies would be the same, the travel would be worse, and the TV exposure would be worse.

Reaction Score

I actually think something along these lines will happen with the Big East. One of the "Power" football conferences is going to want to take control of basketball too. So they will poach the top teams from a conference like the Big East. However I'm not thinking it will be the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Not a chance of this happening. The Big 12 will not be able to get anyone from the Pac-12 to jump ship unless the later has more defections. Nobody is leaving the Big East for the Big 12, not even UConn. The basketball monies would be the same, the travel would be worse, and the TV exposure would be worse.
As a Basketball only sure it's unlikely... were football included there would be a commitment and press conference announced within 5 minutes of receiving the call.

Reaction Score
As a Basketball only sure it's unlikely... were football included there would be a commitment and press conference announced within 5 minutes of receiving the call.

If the money is the same or better you could extract a little more for travel; and you could get a promise for a certain amount of football games, access to their bowl slots, and preferable status in case of football expansion I think you accept as well.

Given a few more years of continued Mora trajectory and lower exit fee. That might even get the ACC to act, would they want the Big 12 in ACC territory?

Reaction Score
Given a few more years of continued Mora trajectory and lower exit fee. That might even get the ACC to act, would they want the Big 12 in ACC territory?

First I think it's a massive long-shot that there are any such considerations by the Big XII (mhver3 is as non-key as you can get)... even if there were, ultimately I don't think the ACC acts until they have to... either due to some team breaching the GOR or the end of their GOR term. In the current economic climate for ESPN and Disney, there just isn't a financial incentive for the ACC to act (absent a shocking decision by Notre Dame not only to join a conference, but for that conference to be the ACC).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom