Non-Key Tweets | Page 626 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If Brown is a UT mouthpiece....

Quick FYI - Chip Brown is not a UT mouthpiece.

At times he was the confidant and/or tool of Mack Brown, DeLoss Dodds and Bill Powers but none of them are still at Texas and even before they left he had lost a lot of access at Texas by criticizing thin-skinned Mack.

I believe he still has connections on the fringe, like donors and secretaries - which honestly is about as close to the new Fenves/Perrin regime as any journalist has been able to get. But what makes Chip Brown more interesting and entertaining than other Texas "insiders" is that he also has a lot of connections at other Big 12 schools too, like Oklahoma. Brown often cites conversations he's had with Joe Castiglione.

I wouldn't be surprised if people purposely throw him red herrings from time to time.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Quick FYI - Chip Brown is not a UT mouthpiece.

At times he was the confidant and/or tool of Mack Brown, DeLoss Dodds and Bill Powers but none of them are still at Texas and even before they left he had lost a lot of access at Texas by criticizing thin-skinned Mack.

I believe he still has connections on the fringe, like donors and secretaries - which honestly is about as close to the new Fenves/Perrin regime as any journalist has been able to get. But what makes Chip Brown more interesting and entertaining that other Texas "insiders" is that he also has a lot of connections at other Big 12 schools too. Like Oklahoma. Brown often cites conversations he's had with Joe Castiglione.

I wouldn't be surprised if people purposely throw him red herrings from time to time.

I have always thought this about Chip. His info wasn't always correct. It's what Teaxas/Oklahoma wanted to put out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So two potential pieces of good news in the last 24 hours:

1) Flugs presenting a pretty good case for why the Big 12 won't get paid to stay at 10. This makes doing nothing less likely.
2) Memphis getting shredded by the Oklahoma writer. Nail, meet coffin.

The bad news is that adding only 2 teams seems to be picking up some steam, and that becomes a three way spring between Cincinnati, UConn and BYU, where Cincinnati seems to have a 20 yard head start. I have gone from hoping Houston was just a smokescreen that Texas had to throw out there because they were told to, to being a lynchpin for expansion. I don't think there is any way Houston makes the cut as one of two additions, but has a reasonable chance as a compromise choice as one of four.

If it is just two schools, I think BYU is the odd school out. Fox wants eastern teams remember. They have been emphatic. If it is two, I think it's Cincy and UConn.

C

Chief00

Other than the fact that Cincy's former President totally out worked our President - one thing I can't understand is how they are reported to be a locked in top 2 and we are not?
They have had more football success - but they will always be a second college in their market. In other sports we are clearly superior. Academics - we are also better.

Reaction Score
There not a second college in their market. 40k students and a 1.5b endowment. O$U is not strong in southern Ohio. They do not have any glaring weakness which is why they are early on a choice. It helps they are closer to the big 12 schools than Wv as well. Lastly, they did very well when they moved up to the Big East. It helps to have had success in fball. We've struggled in fball, and we're farther away. It doesn't help. I do not think the existing group of b12 schools are sold on Ny being a Uconn market so it doesn't help the status that much.

Reaction Score
Other than the fact that Cincy's former President totally out worked our President - one thing I can't understand is how they are reported to be a locked in top 2 and we are not?
They have had more football success - but they will always be a second college in their market. In other sports we are clearly superior. Academics - we are also better.

Yeah this has been disproved multiple times, Cincinnati is clear #1, OSU has only about 25% support in the SW Ohio, with closer to 70-80% in the rest of Ohio.

Reaction Score
They have a couple positives, access to NFL facility for larger games, good recruiting area

But yes, very poor academics for undergrad programs, top kids in OH have zero interest attending Cincy, when have they last won a championship

They are marketing themselves as a travel partner for WVU, but according to the Dude WVU is a no vote for them

What does the endowment mean exactly for athletics? Shouldn't Yale, Harvard and Princeton by P5 is that matters

dayooper

Reaction Score
Yeah this has been disproved multiple times, Cincinnati is clear #1, OSU has only about 25% support in the SW Ohio, with closer to 70-80% in the rest of Ohio.

Show me the data, please. I have never seen the data that suggests Cincinnati football is the clear #1 in the Cincinnati/ Dayton market. Not trying to be contrary, I just have never seen the data for that. Basketball I tend to believe more, but not football and overall fandom. OSU is to Ohio as the Packers are to Wisconsin.

What about Louisville, WVU, UK? Don't they all have decent range into SW Ohio?

Louisville and UK have some traction in SW Ohio, but WVU is too Far East to have an impact.

Reaction Score
Show me the data, please. I have never seen the data that suggests Cincinnati football is the clear #1 in the Cincinnati/ Dayton market. Not trying to be contrary, I just have never seen the data for that. Basketball I tend to believe more, but not football and overall fandom. OSU is to Ohio as the Packers are to Wisconsin.

Louisville and UK have some traction in SW Ohio, but WVU is too Far East to have an impact.

I don't remember the specific study, But it was Cincy/OSU/UK/UL then very small amounts of everyone else. The study I remember included SW Ohio, and the other "metro" areas of Cincinnati including northern Kentucky and SE Indiana.

Reaction Score
I don't remember the specific study, But it was Cincy/OSU/UK/UL then very small amounts of everyone else. The study I remember included SW Ohio, and the other "metro" areas of Cincinnati including northern Kentucky and SE Indiana.

Any yeah there's no traction at all for WVU in Cincy.

Reaction Score
Any yeah there's no traction at all for WVU in Cincy.

I found this one:

43% UC 35%
27% OSU 25%
7% ND 10%
6% Other 8%
5% Kentucky 11%
5% Don't have 6%
4% Michigan 3%
2% Miami 1%
1% Louisville 1%

dayooper

Reaction Score

Thanks. Do you remember who produced the study and what it measured? Was it football, basketball, athletics as a whole or overall fandom of the university?

dayooper

Reaction Score
I found this one:

43% UC 35%
27% OSU 25%
7% ND 10%
6% Other 8%
5% Kentucky 11%
5% Don't have 6%
4% Michigan 3%
2% Miami 1%
1% Louisville 1%

Link please, thanks.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Do you remember who produced the study and what it measured? Was it football, basketball, athletics as a whole or overall fandom of the university?

I really don't remember. I did forget Notre Dam they were third in the area I believe.

dayooper

Reaction Score
At least the link doesn't work.

Found it. It was a radio station poll done in Sept 2012. The actual results and the discussion on the blog are no longer available. The link was found on a Cincinnati 24/7 message board thread where the percentages were taken from.

Can't get the link to work.

Reaction Score
Ok I am not trying to take a shot at UC but I am attaching 2 links that show UC well behind OSU in every fan demographic in all of Ohio.

As the NYT article states OSU has a plurality of fans in every zip code in Ohio.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html?_r=0

The below biz journal article does not have UC in the top 3 most popular college teams in Cincinnati

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...ege-football-teams-do-greater-cincinnati.html

UC is a fine program and may deserve a Big12 invite but UC does not "own" Ohio, not even a portion of it. UC has every right to be proud of their program but lying about their popularity only makes them look fraudulent. The numbers are what they are.

On a positive note I am sure the UC President is currently tweeting about sharing a shrimp cocktail with some Big12 President right now.... The UC president should just make sure to not invite OSU to the meeting, they are more popular with the BIg12 as well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
tOSU isn't strong in southern Ohio? According to who?

For college football UC may now finally be a clear #3 as they have had a successful decade but PSU & ND are still miles ahead of them. In men's hoops they are battling X & UK for second behind tOSU but that is Na bit closer than football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom