Non-Key Tweets | Page 513 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One thing I do not doubt about Swofford and the ACC is the ability to smell blood in the water and attack when another conference shows weakness. The Big12 has been telegraphing its moves for a while and appears ripe for a divide. IMO the ACC is a much better counterpuncher than enacting a long term strategy. Is UConn a counterpunch?

I suppose "hope" always dies last...

The ACC vs Big12 in decisiveness. The Big12 is the lioness, the ACC is the lion. This message board are all the people in the vehicles.

Reaction Score
No idea, but the Debrafromfacebok account looks like a fake account some insider has set up to let out real news in advance. Let's hope that's what it actually is.

The ACC has no schools from Washington, D.C. to Boston - the most populous part of the nation. If they're starting a conference network (or if ESPN's somehow increasing inventory with an eye toward boxing out the B1G), they need to have a presence there. It's existential.

With that in mind, UConn and Temple are the best bets left. It's not that Temple is so great; it's that the ACC is finally not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good -- or "good enough."

They're in this position b/c they were playing checkers in 2009-12. Now they're playing... well, it's not chess. But it's something, at least.

PS - If Georgetown & Villanova ever went D-1 football, they'd get ACC invites in about 3 seconds.

Yeah I am a little confused where the Jim@aol posts came from. I don't even see the original post here that was quoted.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Yeah I am a little confused where the Jim@aol posts came from. I don't even see the original post here that was quoted.
All of this is confusing & it feels like we're getting trolled.

But the thing about this rumor that I'll keep coming back to: It makes sense. The ACC needs to fill that Boston-to-DC corridor if they're going to survive, and there are only two teams that do it (or have the potential to do it).

Reaction Score

But the thing about this rumor that I'll keep coming back to: It makes sense. The ACC needs to fill that Boston-to-DC corridor if they're going to survive, and there are only two teams that do it (or have the potential to do it).

I don't buy UConn to the ACC. They don't want us, they've made it very clear. I don't think anything that is happening in Big 12 world or elsewhere is going to change that.

Reaction Score

another team that will give you DC is Navy and UCONN to bridge the gap

Reaction Score
Temple? No freekin' way.

I don't think that Swofford could get all the Presidents to sign a new GOR....much less with a Temple add.

FSU is already in the fool me once mode and Clemson and a couple of others may be there with them.

I doubt if he would whisper the word "Temple" to the FSU BOT...he would get a whiff of the tar cauldron in the back of the room, spot the pile of old pillows, and clear his throat...and say..."As I was saying, football is the temple at which we worship. Let me be clear."

Reaction Score
Temple does almost nothing positive for the ACC that I can see. On any level. Including even establishing a TV network.

That having been said, if the ACC were to take UConn, and the XII is trying to compete with the ACC for being first to market with a TV network, can the ACC live with the XII inviting Temple? Temple would be a blocking move -- it would keep the only XII touch on the coast itself to the eastern part of WV and WVU's portion of the DC market. But it keeps the XII out of the Eastern Baltimore--Philly--NY--Boston megalopolis.

I find the rumor hard to believe as to Temple, but if it happens it would be defensive.

Reaction Score
another team that will give you DC is Navy and UCONN to bridge the gap

Navy does not give you DC or Maryland -- it's a small presence in the market. Navy's students come from all over the U.S. And they disperse after graduating all over the world. It is not an important part of the DC market. If it were, it's football games wouldn't be broadcast on what is literally the lowest rated station in the DC market.

Reaction Score
Temple? No freekin' way.

I don't think that Swofford could get all the Presidents to sign a new GOR....much less with a Temple add.

FSU is already in the fool me once mode and Clemson and a couple of others may be there with them.

I doubt if he would whisper the word "Temple" to the FSU BOT...he would get a whiff of the tar cauldron in the back of the room, spot the pile of old pillows, and clear his throat...and say..."As I was saying, football is the temple at which we worship. Let me be clear."

Come on -- even you don't believe that analysis. Before the FSU President could say "Football is the alter at which we worship " (very dramatic by the way), the Trustees would ask "how much?" If the ACC invited Temple (which I already said I have real trouble seeing), it would require finances to demand it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who in the hell is Jim@aol? I'm excited for this rumor, don't get me wrong; I would LOVE to be back with a bunch of our old Big East rivals. I'm just wondering where this rumor came from.
Don't know, but I have seen his name on Landthieves and the VaTech board. His logic seems a little tighter than the average conference realignment nut. Could be nothing, or it could be a leak of actual info. There's no way to tell until after the fact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Temple? No freekin' way.

Look I understand the gut reaction of a college football guy in the south. But if you omit history for a moment (and history relating to FSU as a former women's college certainly didn't predict success) and started with a blank slate, how would you rate:

Pubic school in Philadelphia, enrollment is 38k {access to good recruiting in PA and NJ}
Private school in Boston, enrollment is 14k
Private school in small city in NC, enrollment is 7500
Public engineering school in Atlanta, enrollment is 24k
Public school in Louisville, enrollment 22k.
Private school in Miami, enrollement 16k

You can pretend that there is some actual reason why Temple can't be a football power, but the reality is that there is none. They were pretty good last year and probably have pretty significant upside, although it may never be realized.

Reaction Score
Look I understand the gut reaction of a college football guy in the south. But if you omit history for a moment (and history relating to FSU as a former women's college certainly didn't predict success) and started with a blank slate, how would you rate:

Pubic school in Philadelphia, enrollment is 38k {access to good recruiting in PA and NJ}
Private school in Boston, enrollment is 14k
Private school in small city in NC, enrollment is 7500
Public engineering school in Atlanta, enrollment is 24k
Public school in Louisville, enrollment 22k.
Private school in Miami, enrollement 16k

You can pretend that there is some actual reason why Temple can't be a football power, but the reality is that there is none. They were pretty good last year and probably have pretty significant upside, although it may never be realized.

There are in fact reasons that Temple can't be a football power. They do not have a fan base outside of students and alumni (like Houston), and therefore they do not have the financial support to do what needs to be done by way of facilities. Nor do they have the support in Harrisburgh for the statewide taxpayers to give them the funds to be an athletic power.

Reaction Score
There are in fact reasons that Temple can't be a football power. They do not have a fan base outside of students and alumni (like Houston), and therefore they do not have the financial support to do what needs to be done by way of facilities. Nor do they have the support in Harrisburgh for the statewide taxpayers to give them the funds to be an athletic power.

I agree with everything you said, but Houston may not be the best example given they have been a power in the past and are coming off a 13-1 Peach Bowl title run.

I would say they are more similar to USF or UCF.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Was that on campus stadium just a proposal or something in the works?

If Temple got into a better league, with their recent success and a new stadium I could see them gaining some traction, especially in Eastern PA.

Not that we didn't all know this year's ago, but the latest Joe Fraud news coming out certainly can't help the casual Penn State fan (not the cult alumni or townies). Maybe temple steps up and becomes the football team in Philly?

Reaction Score

If Temple got into a better league, with their recent success and a new stadium I could see them gaining some traction, especially in Eastern PA.

Not that we didn't all know this year's ago, but the latest Joe Fraud news coming out certainly can't help the casual Penn State fan (not the cult alumni or townies). Maybe temple steps up and becomes the football team in Philly?

I think the NCAA has made it perfectly clear that we could find out that Joe Pa was working with Ted Cruz's dad to take out JFK and Penn State football would still go untouched.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm not saying there are no roadblocks, all schools have those. Cinci has same issues as well, it's similar in many ways. But if Temple was in a league that made them profitable, they could gain enough support to become something. Meanwhile, WF really never can, and yet it's already in the league. I'm not saying they should be added, merely that dismissing Temple as a ridiculous choice, as Billy did, ignores some obvious advantages they hold even over some current ACC schools.

Reaction Score
  • There are 5,367,675 people in the U.S. with the first name James. Just sayin' ;)

Don't know, but I have seen his name on Landthieves and the VaTech board. His logic seems a little tighter than the average conference realignment nut. Could be nothing, or it could be a leak of actual info. There's no way to tell until after the fact.

By googling around twitter, conspiracy kitty might have run into this dude: Jim Norton | AOL Advertising

Of course, the poster may have nothing to do with this dude and/or could be pretending to be this dude or could just be a BC super troll.

If conspiracy kitty was really on his/her (do we know?) game, he/she would have looked at this dude's twitter to see if any Debras follow him. Kitty might get at least one hit that way - another social media exec who, even if she looks a little like Debra@facebook, I'm sure has nothing to do with anything given she is a Florida/SEC fan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
By googling around twitter, conspiracy kitty might have run into this dude: Jim Norton | AOL Advertising

Of course, the poster may have nothing to do with this dude and/or could be pretending to be this dude or could just be a BC super troll.

If conspiracy kitty was really on his/her (do we know?) game, he/she would have looked at this dude's twitter to see if any Debras follow him. Kitty might get at least one hit that way - another social media exec who, even if she looks a little like Debra@facebook, I'm sure has nothing to do with anything given she is a Florida/SEC fan.
Interesting. He's a BC grad. Does that mean that he has actual ACC connections? Probably not.

He did work at Tribune Broadcasting and HuffPo so I guess it is possible he know someone who knows something. Here's his Twitter. Top picture is him with Magic Johnson.

Anyway he kind of looks douchy. Actual picture:
upload_2016-5-6_18-20-27.png

Jim from AOL or Boone from Animal House?

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Interesting. He's a BC grad. Does that mean that he has actual ACC connections? Probably not.

He did work at Tribune Broadcasting and HuffPo so I guess it is possible he know someone who knows something. Here's his Twitter. Top picture is him with Magic Johnson.

Anyway he kind of looks douchy. Actual picture:
View attachment 13536
Jim from AOL or Boone from Animal House?
If he's a BC grad he's definitely trolling. The Douchey aspect is self-explanatory.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
I read the @dennisdoddcbs article on B12 Expansion candidates and at the end it dawned on me I will never get back those precious 3 minutes

@dennisdoddcbs is the last person in the room who figured out B12 was expanding...and now he thinks it's about obtaining best FB programs.

Although it figures because @dennisdoddcbs thought it was a joke Delany brought on Rutgers and Maryland into the Big Ten Conference.

Big 12 Expansion has to be about bringing in new markets...markets with $...markets that will pay for B12 product...with "B12" Academics

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Temple's problem is similar to BC's. Heavy sports market where the Eagles are a year-round sports conversation. Sixers and Flyers get their share and then the Phillies get the summer spotlight. The problem is the college scene. Of the fans interested in college football, most are going to gravitate toward PSU. Of the other college sports fans, they're probably going to to be Big5/6 alum and fans, which makes it a little tougher to root for Temple. The reality is that Temple is never going to be Philly's team. If they could string together a number of seasons ranked where they're above PSU and the Eagles are horrible, they can get a little more traction. But what is gained is so easily lost there. It's not impossible but it will take years of sustained excellence to really establish something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom